Published 14 months ago by Keith_Joseph

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
I have mixed feelings about this product, in itself it's a nice product good weight rubber type cover and reasonably tactile buttons, it's also quite intuitive to use. However it's by no means perfect, and the things that are wrong with the product do detract strongly from the overall score.
I have had to list what is good and bad about the product.

The...
Published 14 months ago by Fletch-a-sketch

2.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 24 April 2013
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips PD7006P/05 Spill Resistant 7-inch Portable DVD Player - Pink (New for 2013) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had to list what is good and bad about the product.

The pros,
Very Portable
Reasonably long battery life
Car charger
Robust build,
Splash resistant nice rubber covers very bright Pink.
Will play movies on USB Memory sticks using a number of formats.

The Cons
The picture quality is not quite as good as some mobile phones for the same price.
To remove the DVD you have to have tiny fingers or long finger nails which fit very `snuggly' to the spindle in the player.
Door does not open very far again limiting access to remove the discs.

Though it is great to have a portable DVD for long car journeys, for the price I don't think this represents good value for money, and I in retrospect wish I had seen the product before buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super girl friendly, but expensive with a few design flaws denting its appeal - for adults our Sony 7" player seems better value, 26 April 2013
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We also have the white Philips PD7030 7-inch portable DVD Player, and this similar Philips PD7006 player has all the same negatives. However this vibrant pink rubbery player is so off the wall in design and cuteness that you know any young girl is going to love it. Even Barbie would admit, it's to die for. Granted if I gave it to my preteen nephews they would probably pass out in horror (fortunately there's a boy friendly blue version for them). The thick rubber texture of this player is omnipresent, even going to a organic rubbery flap covering the USB2 socket, TV out, headphone socket and power in. This flap is a bit like fighting with a goldfish to use, as it's not hinged and wants to flop back closed when open - I'm not sure how long it will last, but it seems robust and if it tore off the DVD player would still work (albeit in a less water resistance fashion). There is a little white rubber seal around the DVD compartment to help keep spilt drinks at bay, and I assume the switches and screen are also watertight. In fact only the twin speaker grills look a bit open to the elements. I doubt the player would work in an inch of bath water, but it does look like it would survive the odd shake of the juice bottle and be beach friendly. The player top is finished like a Lego brick, with a little orange Philips logo on one of the circles. My 18 year old daughter's comment: `it does look cool'.

The DVD player comes without a remote control, which is fine as normally the player is viewed from a few feet away and within easy reach. So all the required controls are on the top of the player, and they are all light but positive click buttons that work well. The player is strictly region 2 only, although there might be a region free hack available. The player has an inbuilt battery that lasts up to 3 hours - more than enough for one feature film. It can also run on the mains via its 120cm lead 13A UK plug transformer or the 12v car 180cm cable adaptor - ours came direct from Amazon and had the UK 13A plug mains adaptor not the European Europlug version, so don't accept the latter. One major flaw with running on external power is that the player can't recharge its internal battery when playing DVDs - so you have to switch off the DVD player and connect it to a power supply to recharge its battery, making it unusable while recharging. However this isn't a bad thing with under tens, as it limits access a bit while recharging (my 6 year old nephew is often chained to his similar PD7030 DVD player for his movies and audio CDs).

Another literally glaring design fault is that the front green LED is so incredibly bright it can interfere with watching the movie - but although I loathe it, the kids seem to like it. The red recharge LED is also megabright, but you can't watch DVDs when that is on anyway. The 7" widescreen 480 x 234 pixel LCD screen itself isn't the best in show, it's a bit grainy, but movies still look OK. Plus removing the DVD is very tricky, as it's such a close fit inside the well - probably to deter youngsters doing it themselves. All these negatives are a shame as it's a kid friendly little player and does the business of playing DVDs well, be they commercial DVD films or our DVD-R videos. We don't tend to use the USB socket but that can replay DivX or VOB video, MP3 audio and jpg photos via a low profile Micro USB2 Flash Drive (not supplied) or a stills camera. The twin stereo speaker sound is quite good, but mostly we use it with headphones via the single 3.5mm 3-connector stereo socket (the battery lasts longer on headphones).

There's also a 3.5mm TV out socket for passing the video and sound to an external TV, but meanly no adaptor cable is supplied (an AV cable from our old DVD player worked with it, but another identical looking one from a camera didn't, so good luck with finding the right one as Philips don't sell it). The players controls are simple enough and everything is easy to find and use, with a neat twin button +/- volume control on the left side.

The players negative aspects aren't deal breakers, the DVD player is nice to use and any 5-10 year old Cinderella fan would adore it. But the fact remains that our almost identical Sony DVPFX780 7-inch Portable DVD Player doesn't have any of these design faults and it's often a similar price. The Sony 7" has a far more vivid colour LCD screen, can recharge it's internal battery while playing DVDs, it's red/green LEDs are bright enough to see without being blinding, it comes with a TV AV adaptor cable, it has even better sound, and it's internal battery lasts 4 hours not 3. The Sony's mains/12v power adapters also look better made, although the players themselves seem well built to a similar standard. However the sombre Sony's not such a girl friendly design (the Sony white version looks better).

So despite the fact that this good looking Philips model can do the business of playing DVDs well, the Sony DVPFX780 7-inch is the better buy when on offer at a similar price, as its almost identical design and features are better implemented. This Philips does score highly on the kid friendly design and water resistance, although as adults we rate this Philips PD7006P 3.5* or C+ for effort. When she got it, our 4 year old girl thought this Philip's player was great, so it's no lemon. Unlike the Sony, the Philips can remember the position in the DVD movie when switched off and return to it on restart. Although this Philips player has the possibility of region free (there's a hack for the PD7030, but that didn't work with this model), it appears the Sony is strictly UK/Europe Region 2 only. The Philips player has a one year warranty, and I have to say the Philips collect & return service was great when our TV Blu-ray player went phut under warranty. This little DVD player is 20.2 cm (W), 4.2 cm (H) and 16.2 cm (D) and weighs 0.82 kg. I've posted a few photos of this Philips player under customer images.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, pink and sturdy!, 23 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly I must say that I really love the Pink rubbery covering on this. It is light but has a certain weight to it which makes it feel solid and sturdy= no worries about accidentally dropping it or it falling apart soon after usage. This version is "spill proof" although I am yet to test this out for myself!

The screen is not bad and I'd say reasonable for this sort of product. After all it is designed for watching on the move either by yourself or more likely to keep kids entertained on a long journey or outing somewhere. It won't live up to those who are used to super HD perfection as other reviewers have mentioned but I personally think its fine for the type of item. I would have preferred a slightly larger viewing area for my own viewing in all honesty.

Ease of use- its really straightforward and I'd say probably considered to be "idiot-proof". The buttons have a nice feel to them and operation of the DVD loader lid fairly standard and smooth.

Battery time seems to be a little over 3 hours in my case which I think is reasonable. I'd hope you don't need to watch or make your kids watch more than that without a break.

It contains all the usual wires/car charger paraphernalia which is great but like I saw with so many electronic products I just wish the manufacturers would actually provide a fitted sleeve with a pocked for things like this because inevitable wires and electronic get separated and its a nightmare matching them up later. Small niggle - you can find things to fit but its annoying having to try out different sizes!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely toy, 11 Mar 2014
What a lovely toy it is so child resistant. Purchased for my little grandaughter who carries it everywhere with her and can work it herself. Can be washed in the sink have drinks spilled over it really sturdy and of course plays DVDs can also load them onto it using a card. Very impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 29 Dec 2013
for this for 38 quid when shop price was 89.99!!! workks perfectly thankyou very much i am very pleased with this. my daughter loves it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy and good quality, 12 July 2013
Kate (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very sturdy little DVD play which is perfect for children. It is quite heavy, and comes in a tough rubberised shell and generally feels well made.

The picture is excellent, the sound less so (slightly tinny) but my 3 year old and 18 month old don't mind that. They have given it a thorough road test and it is still working quite happily despite various bumps and scrapes.

Cleverly, Philips have built in locks which can be clipped across the DVD door to prevent it from being opened (and the DVD being removed) by small children. This is such a good idea as it prevents my 18 month old from removing and scratching the discs.

I wish that they had also installed some kind of lock to disable the controls, however, as it is a source of annoyance for my 3 year old that his trigger happy brother can press 'stop' 'reverse' etc mid way through the film and, bar my physically restraining him, there is no way to stop the interruptions.

That's a rather minor issue and overall I am very happy with this gadget which has already come in very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality - not perfect, 8 May 2013
Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very sturdy player, the pink rubbery surround is a great protection if you accidently drop it and will appeal to 'girly' colour lovers. There is a piece of rubber that pulls down to let you access the headphone jack, power and video/audio outs but I actually don't like this bit as it doesn't stay down once you've opened it so I end up trying to hold it open and put the cable in at the same time and since it's a small space I find it fiddly.

The DVD player comes with a power cable and an in car charger which I was very pleased with since often you end up having to purchase peripherals. It charges fairly quickly and has a 3 hour battery life so you have time to watch your film without worrying about it running out (unless you fall asleep, then it's annoying as you have to charge it when you wake up before you can carry on watching - but that's my fault not the player.) It has an LED light which shows bright red when it's charging which I like as you can quite easily glance at it and see if it's charged, the downside being the green LED power on light which is at eye level if you like to watch DVD's lying down and I find is really glaring and distracting, I wish it was dimmer or you could choose to turn it off.

My biggest problem with the player is the screen/picture quality. I'd give it an 8/10 which isn't bad but I find the picture quite pixelated when watching from fairly close and this is noticable and distracting for me. The sound quality when watching in a quiet room is very good and I don't have to have it on full volume to be able to hear clearly.

You can play films using a USB and whilst the buttons are easy to use and intuitive the formats it plays are very limited (DivX or VOB) which was disappointing as I watch lots of mp4's and would have loved to have been able to use them with this player.

There are the standard range of buttons on the player, I dislike skip and fast forward being on the same button as when I played a DivX file I kept activating the 'skip' instead of 'fast forward' and ending the file and having to reload but apart from that the buttons were easy to navigate. I liked the 2 sliding lock mechanisms which prevent you from accidently opening the DVD slot by accident.

I haven't spilt anything on the player so can't comment on the spill resistent aspects of it.

For me the 2 issues which would make me consider other players over this one is the file types it plays and the picture quality, otherwise I am very happy with it and it is lovely to be able to watch wherever I like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not perfect, 28 April 2013
Ian Shine (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are some very smart elements to this portable DVD player, the spill resistance pink gel case being the main one. It is very compact (about the size of an average paperback book), and the sockets (for headphones and plug) are hidden away behind the gel casing, which pops off when you want to use it.
It comes with a standard plug adapter (although the lead is only about 4ft long, which is a touch short if you ask me), and an in-car charger (about the same length, which is fine in a car) which goes in the cigarette lighter.
Image and sound quality are better than I expected, although you have to turn it up close to maximum if not using headphones. It would be better if it had two headphone sockets (so two children could listen together in the car, where headphones are definitely needed, because the system just isn't loud enough to hear if you're driving on a motorway). The buttons are quite basic, but do the job adequately, although the rewind/fast forward functions are a bit sluggish.
Criticisms include there not being a display showing battery life. Instead, a message pops up telling you only when you absolutely have to plug in. Also, a DVD timer display might be useful. You can access this by going through the route menu, but it only shows how much time has elapsed on what you are watching, not how much time remains. It is also really difficult to get the DVD out after you have watched it. I (a 30-year-old man of average size) could not do it. My wife, with her slimmer fingers, can just about manage it.
Still, this is a pretty good DVD player, and I'd recommend it as in-car entertainment or an extra mini TV player for watching films around the house.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more work......, 27 April 2013
shaz17 (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well my granddaughters loved watching a movie on this, I found a few niggly things that would put me off from buying it.

It only had one earphone socket so I bought a Belkin Rockstar Multi-Headphone Splitter and a few more cheap headphones so all 3 grand children could watch & listen together. It kept them entertained for a couple of hours. So on long journeys we don't have to listen to the blaring audio of a dvd.

Love the colour of the bright pink and the rubber outer casing, so even if they were rough with the player it took it well.

Getting the dvd out was near on impossible for most of us, except for my very skinny granddaughter, the other one has pudgy fingers so she couldn't get it out either... this seems a design flaw to me. We expected a button that would have ejected it like on the old cassettes, which would have made this perfect. The lid where the dvd went doesn't open very wide and this do makes it hard to get the dvd out as well.

I found the picture quality & the audio quality really good. Even when watching form a usb memory stick.

It is a lovely concept but too many design flaws for the price is off putting at this time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips PD7006/05, 15 May 2013
Ferris "Ferris" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have also got the standard none spill resistant version of this, which i was fairly disapointed with - Philips PD7030/05 7-inch Portable DVD Player. This product is very similar in use and functionality with a higher price tag for a less than useful water resistant feature. After all how often would you watch a DVD in the rain, granted children could spill drinks on it. Also the flip down cover that conceals the USB and audio ports I fear wouldn't last long, it's awkward to use and after many uses I think the rubber would stress and break off.

So why the 4 star review?!? I love the tactile, bright, and unique stand out design. It feels good, it feels robust and my eight year old duaghter really loves it. It's good to know it also comes in blue for boys as well.