on 20 November 2002
I'm taking a course in many-particle theory, and have begun to understand that Feynman diagrams are kind of relevant in this theory. The problem have been that introductions to these diagrams in the literature have been rather vague. Mostly you're shown that second quantization gives an endless amount of elements so we have to use Wicks theorem and then they prove Wicks theorem. But hey! That didn't look nice either; let's use Feynman diagrams. And then they dump a lot of diagrams over you and tell you how to read them in second quantization. This might be somewhat confusing.
A Guide to Feynman Diagrams in the Many-body Problem makes you deconfused.
The book has five levels; pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, elementary, intermediate and advanced. The pre-kindergarten part leeds you through the field of many-particle theory with pictures, cartoons and no mathematics. The kindergarten part gives an introduction "somewhere between Donald Duck and the American Journal of Physics". The elementary part are the standard many-body introduction. The intermediate part gives a derivation diagram rules and the advanced part shows in detail the mathematics behind typical many-body calculations.
One more thing: The book is great fun to read.
VINE VOICEon 9 May 2010
I really wanted to add this review to agree with Jon Nielson - this book provides an excellent introduction to Feynmann diagrams in the Many-body problem. The book starts by easing you into the subject by describing many-body problems in a classical manner - introducing the propagator in a physically intuitive way and then generalising from the classical description to the quantum description. It then clearly and carefully guides you through the mathematical formulation and rules for Feynmann diagrams. The appendices are really good too. I've read the first few chapters and have been really impressed - I'm sure this will be a book I use repeatedly throughout further study.

It's a great book to read too, very interesting and well written.
on 7 March 2011
This book was useful for me during my last year as a undergraduate in the University of Birmingham. I learned quickly
how to use the Feynman diagramms, to learn the basics. After that I moved onto advanced books related with
the Quantum field theory, such as Abrisokov book. The book also comes with solution to exercises, and that's why I think
it's a good book for self-study. Also the book is quite cheap, you can never go wrong with this book in my opinion!.