I have said it all before for the companion "Wonderland" volume, but I'll paste it here again.

Published on 11 Oct 2008 by chatvarin

2.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations aren't very good
I love Lewis Caroll and the Alice books, so my two stars is not about the content.

I am very disappointed in the illustrations in this edition. They are very small and very unclear.

I would suggest getting a different edition, and I'm sure there is a better one out there.
Published on 29 Mar 2011 by Alias Grace

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Authoritative Full-Coloured Presentation by Carroll's Own Publisher, 11 Oct 2008

Among the countless editions of Carroll's classics to have come out over the years, I don't think any beats Macmillan's. Generally speaking, Carroll's own publisher seems to take much pride in being the originator of this masterpiece and have always presented the book in the most faithful manners to Carroll's and Tenniel's original visions. With the advent of a new age in publishings everything is required to jump out at the progressively wanting in concentration youngsters with really rather explosive brilliancy and exuberance. So here Macmillan has at last commissioned the remainders of Tenniel's illustrations not coloured by Theaker to be coloured in a complementary hand. The result is an all-new sparkling edition, larger than any they have previously published and quite decidedly more sparkling. Incidentally, the demand of full-coloured illustrations in-and-amongst the text has, coincidentally enough, reverted the book to its original sumptuous quality paper unseen for years. This with Macmillan's laudable continued commitment to offer the world the book in as close an appearance to what Carroll intended as possible - with great intregrity in the typeset and positioning of the text and illustrations - ultimately created a highly collectable edition. In the reissued papaerback edition of this one, Philip Pullman commends the colouring of the illustrations fro having defied his apprehension in such a tampering with what work perfectly in black-and-white. It does not little of its eccentric, Victorian charms, but still delights admirers of the original notwithstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic work in a beautiful new edition, a joy to own., 21 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This beatifully produced little book contains Lewis Carroll's classic work of inverted logic (or nonsense ) which needs no comment from me. The drawings by Mervyn Peake are a lot darker in nature than the more familiar ones by Tenniel, but if you enjoyed Gormenghast you will find them very much to your taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Emma Fernandez Schmidt great book revew, 6 May 2008
L. Thayer "MRS THAYER'S CLASS" (Letchworth) - See all my reviews
If you like imaginative, funny, and non -putting- down stories, then Alice Through the Looking glass is the book for you. This is the 2nd book Lewis Carol wrote.
Alice goes to bed and finds out that she can travel through her dreams! Travel with Alice through the strange world called " REFLECTION ".
This is one of my favourite books. I like this book because he uses these words mimes, door post, natural, and curiously. I also like the way Lewis Carol expressed and thought what the characters were going to say. This book would be for 8 and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full English Version, 17 April 2012
N. Hunt "nicolamill3" (UK) - See all my reviews
Although part of the title is in French, the book is in English.
The introduction pages are also in French.
This was the only free version I could find for Kindle.
I read the book when I was younger, and thought I may read it again on my Kindle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations aren't very good, 29 Mar 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice - with Helen Oxenbury's illustrations, 30 Oct 2009
C. Mullin "illustrator" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
I love this version of Alice. Helen Oxenbury has captured the characters in her usual loveable humorous style. This will appeal to modern children because Alice looks a child of today, but the layout and print are also big, attractive, slightly quirky - it's going to take its place as one of the great Alice's and will help another generation to identify with and enjoy this wonderful old classic.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as illustrated as you might expect, 4 Oct 2014
Doktor Futtocks - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have no criticism of the book itself, as it is a madcap tale which is as fun to read now as it was the first time.

However, the description of it as an 'illustrated' edition may end up disappointing buyers, at least of the Kindle edition. You get some simple, undistinguished sketches of the author at the beginning and end of the book, and not the illustrations of the characters you might reasonably expect by artists like Tenniel, Peake or Steadman.

5.0 out of 5 stars *charming*, 30 Oct 2009
Ms. S. K. Leach (UK) - See all my reviews
Lovely classic illustrations and simple, perfect layout, brilliant for adults and children, a realy nice item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 30 April 2014
Good value, much cheaper but smaller than the Evertype version. If its a book you want to keep buy Evertype

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 16 Feb 2014
Siobhan Whyte "book fiend" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
gorgeous book, lovely illustrations. perfect & just as I had expected. arrived in loads of time. very happy with this purchase as it was bought as a match for "Alice in Wonderland" that I received for Christmas as a child.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›