5.0 out of 5 stars Spine tingling goosebumps singing
Published on 4 Dec. 2012 by Bev Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Some good tunes on it. Fair play :)
Published 11 months ago by Vic Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars Spine tingling goosebumps singing, 4 Dec. 2012
A must buy for anyone who appreciates good music and singing. I was coping quite well with my emotions when listening to this cd, and had tears running down my face for most of it but turned into a blubbering wreck when The Lord,s Prayer was playing. How do you get goosebumps on top of goosebumps.....Buy this cd. Spine tingling arrangements and harmonies. I am bursting with welsh pride for these boys and their wonderful choirmaster.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Sensational, Passionate Voices, 5 Dec. 2012
Malcolm (Edlesborough UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having first heard these fine young men singing
at the Eisteddfod and then hearing their rendition
of Calon Lan on Britain's Got Talent,I knew that
they were good. Unfortunately, "good" does them
little or no justice, and one must look for true
superlatives, they can be found while listening to
this debut album. These lads are magnificent.

Calon Lan is rightfully the first track on the CD
and sums it all up, "an honest/pure heart".
Written as a hymn in the 19th Century it is now
more associated with the terraces of Welsh Rugby
Union. Calon Lan has to be one of the
most beautiful songs in the Welsh tongue.

Malcolm Cowen's English translation gives a taste
of what it is all about:
"I'd not ask a life that's easy
Gold and Pearls so little mean
Rather seek a heart that's joyful
Heart that's honest, heart that's clean."

16 tracks in all on this brilliant album
with three in Welsh including the amazing
arrangment of Sospan Fach.

Tim Rhys-Evans the Musical Director and leader
of Only Boys Aloud, must have worked hard and
then some, to create not just a choir of great
voices, but a choir who have passion and a natural
sound. The boys deserve a huge pat on the back for
this album and the continuing effort that being a
member of OBA brings with it. Big praise must go
also to the Only Men Aloud choir who have mentored
the boys at a local level.

If ever anyone had doubts that the Welsh art of
male choral singing would survive into the 21st
Century then Tim Rhys-Evans, OBA and this debut
album should kick those doubts to touch.

Highly recommended.
Buy it for yourself or as a gift for friends or
family.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just as good as I'd hoped for, 3 Dec. 2012
Mr. M. Kay (England) - See all my reviews
2012 has obviously been the best year for 'Only Boys Aloud' so far, and culminates here with their first album. Having come to our awareness during this year's 'Britain's Got Talent', they have clearly gone from strength to strength since.

I have to confess that I'd wondered whether it would be possible to get over 140 young men, most of whom will have had no previous musical training, to learn enough songs, and in full vocal harmony, to make an album of any quality, in such a relatively short period of time. I needn't have worried. This album is outstanding. The excellent choice of both stirring and relaxing songs, is performed here with passion and enthusiasm, yet finesse and refinement too, by this large Welsh choir. The arrangements perfectly match the material chosen, and are excellent throughout.

I would particularly add that the recording quality is spot on - showing none of that 'processed' sound quality record studios often 'add' to their albums and which make them sound artificial. The recording quality and the balance of the sound is outstandingly natural and free of the recording studio 'additives'! I notice that the album was mastered at Masterdisk in New York - every album I have that was mastered there has superb, natural sound quality. This is no exception.

"Calon Lan' has to be my favourite track and the performance here, with a new orchestral arrangement, is their best versions of it, in my humble opinion. Their other songs are also featured with new orchestral arrangements which are also excellent and compliment the excellent vocal arrangements.

OBA is a remarkable achievement having existed only since 2010 and having gone so far since then. Tim Rhys Evans must be a remarkable man and should be so proud of this. I know it is never all one person, but this is such an inspirational venture, that has paid off so well. Hats off to Tim and to the team captains from Only Men Aloud who clearly work together so well.

Buy this without hesitation and you will not be disappointed. For the small difference in price, this double CD set must be the best one to get. I did wonder whether the Christmas pieces would add anything to the package, but they are very well done and sound pleasantly fresh in these new arrangements - they don't feel 'tacked on' to fill the album, but an enjoyable addition.

Five stars then for this outstanding album. Well done lads - such an achievement. You deserve to go far. (And just for the record I have nothing to do with OBA or anyone connected with them!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Only boys aloud, 4 Dec. 2012
A fabulous production of the very finest welsh male voice singing A significant cut above the usual choral offerings from the welsh valleys. Harmonies and intonation are superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensational cd, 8 Dec. 2012
I preordered this having seen OBA on BGT, absolutely loved them and love the cd. Words cant do justice to the sound of the singing, it really does tear at the heart strings which is what music is meant to do. I t is great to see Tim Rhys Evans get his wish of ensuring that the culture of choral singing in Wales goes on into the future, and to see how he has inspired those boys to believe in themselves. Go Only Boys Aloud! Want more TV performances though!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 7 Dec. 2012
C. Craig "Misty" (South Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Just love this cd. Have followed the Boys since the beginning and know one of the members. And Tim Rhys Evans is an inspiration and a wonderful arranger of music. Looking forward to next one now!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!, 12 Dec. 2012
W.S, Craig (Seattle Wa. USA) - See all my reviews
I happened upon Only Boys Aloud's act(Britian's Got Talent 2012)on YouTube and got hooked. I pre-ordered the CD from amazon.com.uk because I wanted more of them and it's not available here; it's exceptional, now I can't wait for the next... I want more of them still. Unfortunately the Boys are unknown here in the U.S. which may be a good thing for them; as by nature we destroy the things we love, and with the inocence of Only Boys Aloud that would be a shame. Since they are only a mouse-click away I shall keep the secret. I can't understand a word of Welch but somehow my heart does so those songs I enjoy as I do the rest. This group is no less than amazing and they can be proud of what they have accomplished together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duplication of disc, 10 Dec. 2012
Although I love the disc I do think that the producers have pulled a fast one by calling this the Christmas edition when the first disc is identical to the "Only boys aloud" and there are only six items on the second disc

5.0 out of 5 stars Only boys aloud - Christmas edition., 30 Jan. 2013
I absolutely love this choir having seen them long before they appeared on Britains Got Talent. This is a really good taster for what the boys can do.

5.0 out of 5 stars All you need at Christmas Two CDs for the price of one!, 22 May 2013
Ms. Lucy Mumford (South Wales) - See all my reviews
Brilliant, powerful sound, sprinkled with Christmas specials, for youngish and mature alike and very British with the emphasis on the Welsh bit. Coldplay should be thrilled at Only Boy's Aloud version of Paradise, which is the best, fullest and best quality production I've heard and I think Take That will be chuffed that the world's biggest boy band have done a truely startling, anthemic "Never Forget"; they may even feel that OBA, one day might outsell them? The second, shorter CD is completely dedicated to Christmas and can't fail to get you in the mood, even if you only recieved coal and bootpolish this year. You will enjoy it, it's worth the money!