5.0 out of 5 stars One of my absolut favorites, 11 Sep 2013
M. Brodersen - See all my reviews
Simply one of my absolut favorite christmas albums. It must be this compilation. I have seen lost of compilations of Mahalia Jackson for christmas, but this is the best one. Make sure you get the right one :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful and deeply spiritual Christmas album, 18 Dec 2012
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
If you prefer your Christmas songs performed with reverence and tradition, you know Mahalia Jackson will deliver on both counts. The true meaning of the season truly reverberates in each and every word that comes from this gospel legend's lips in this collection of ten Christmas favorites. Nowhere is that more true than on Oh Holy Night, a song which - when it's done right, as it is here - delivers more spiritual power than any other Christmas song. What Child is This? is another of my favorite Christmas songs, and Mahalia performs it with beauty and true grace.

I must admit I had never heard No Room at the Inn, but it's a beautiful, almost dirgeful tribute to the humble nature of Christ's birth. Of course, this album is really about the joy of Christmas, so Mahalia immediately follows that song up with the nonreligious but perennial Christmas favorite Silver Bells. Mainstream songs such as this and White Christmas are actually my least favorite songs on the album, however. For me, it's as if Mahalia's voice is so spiritual that she gives these songs more power than they inherently possess. Don't get me wrong - these songs are wonderfully sung, but Mahalia Jackson was born to sing praises to Our Lord, and it is in the traditional religious hymns (such as It Came Upon the Midnight Clear and The First Noel) that her spiritual prowess shines the brightest.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best christmas albums ever its fab mahlia R.I.P, 12 Dec 2008
Mr. S. L. Smith "musicman" (england carlisle cumbria) - See all my reviews
THIS IS FAB WHAT A VOICE SHE HAD ONE OF THE SUPREME SINGERS OF ALL TIME I DONT GET PEOPLE THAT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS AND NOT LOVE THIS MUSIC SPIRITUALS AND HYMS THERE SO MEANINGFULL PEOPLE CALL THEMSELFES CHRISTIANS THEY SAY I DONT BELIEVE BUT AS SOON AS DECEMBER COMES OUT COMES THE TRESS ITS ALL ABOUT PREESSIES!! ITS PATHETIC IM A BELIEVER BUT THAT DOESANT BEEN YOU HAVE TOO BE BOREING GOSPEL AND LED ZEPPELIN HOW FAR REMOVED IS THAT? IM NOT SAYING YOU HAVE TOO BE ALL RELIGIOUS BUT IF YOU BELIEVE FAB AND THIS MUSIC IS JOYOUS AND MOVEING LOVE IT I DONE BELIEVE YOU HAVE TOO GO TOO CHURCH EITHER JUST BECAUSE YOURE A BELIEVFR WE DO HAVE A LIFE EACH TOO THERE OWN IF THEY WANNA GO TOO CHURCH I BELIEVE BUT DOESANT MEAN I HAVE TOO GO TO CHURCH EVERY WEEK YOURE BELIEF IS YOURE BELIEF END OF BUT I ALWAYS GO TO CHURCH FOR MIDNIGHT MASS BECAUSE TO ME CHRISTMAS IS CELEBRATEING THE BIRTH OF CHRIST AND REFLECTING ON YOURE LIFE AND THE YEAR YOU HAVE HAD WELL WELL IM RAMBLING NOW LOL BUY THIS ITS FAB LOVE WHAT CHILD IS THIS O HOLY NIGHT AT THE INN FAB MAKE YOURE CHRISTMAS SPECIAL THIS YEAR MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

Christmas with Mahalia Jackson