Format: DVD|Change

on 13 April 2013
I've been looking forward to watching this for a while. Firstly, as an expose of the un-named cult and secondly for the two leading actors. The film was just uncomfortable to watch and generally disappointing. A shame as I like both Phoenix and Seymour Hoffman.
on 15 January 2015
Philip Seymour Hoffman was excellent actor and it is lost for cinematography his tragic death .
on 13 July 2014
Strange, uneven film redeemed by a astonishing central performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman
on 18 July 2013
What a waste of 2 hours of my life. I am sat there waiting for the film to get going. 30 mins in, maybe now the film is warming up, no. 1 hour in, surely something is going to happen soon?

What is the film about then?

- Well there is this drunken bum who lacks much meaning to his life, other than drinking, fornicating and making lethal alcoholic coctails to poison people with.

- He one day jumps on to a ship and lands a job with The Master. The Master who dehypnotizes people. Or gets them to see that they are sleeping their lives away and that their true lives are only the latest episode in the eternal journey of the soul that has been reincarneted many times.

- So the Master and our bum work out their intricate little messes to reveal their true selves.

- And that is that, and after a bit of full frontal female nudity, a bit of farting etc. the thing ends!
on 29 August 2015
Really enjoyed this film, great acting and a powerful story. You should check this one out.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 August 2013
...yet after purchasing this blu ray title for over 10 full English pounds, found that I HAD to sit though 10 minutes of advertising before being given the option to watch the thing I'd paid £10+ pounds of my honestly earned cash to watch. Infuriating. Whoever was responsible for this travesty: hang your heads in shame. Jeepers.
on 24 December 2013
I was very disappointed with this movie having enjoyed other movies with Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman.The sum of the movie turned out to be like watching paint dry. I'm not surprised it didn't win Academy Awards.Towards the end I was like: " Come on...get on with it!" Over-long,slow, ponderous shots made it feel pretentious and heavy even allowing for the subject matter (PTSD). It may have wowed the critics and perhaps film students but probably the most (unintentionally) boring film I have seen in a for a very long time. It's up there with Eraserhead as one of those films I would not watch again.I give it 2 stars and that's only for the actors.
on 12 February 2016
a demanding movie .......not everyone's cup of tea i'd say
on 6 September 2013
It was unusual and not something I would recommend. My son was anxious to borrow it from me and after he viewed it, he said he was disappointed. Didn't understand it.
on 12 September 2015
Reminded me how much the movie industry has lost.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse