Top positive review
28 people found this helpful
A detailed book with clear strategies clarified to illuminate your path and master your chosen field. A great Life /career read.
on 5 March 2014
Mastery is a practical guide to achieving great success in your chosen path or career in life. Robert Greene describes a detailed journey of focus and commitment so intense, - that you cannot fail in reaching your full creative potential should you choose to embark on this mission of discovery.
The greatest Masters of all time are studied by Greene not in their achievements but in how they achieved them. This book will re-focus you on your destiny and prove along the way that Mastery is not a mysterious and complex phenomenon, - but a demonstration of dedication and tireless commitment to your passion.
There are 6 chapters covering the ascent to Mastery which serve as a detailed manual in developing key skills needed to attain supreme power in your chosen field:
1. Discover your calling – Greene describes the emotional highs of following your passion and why listening to your inner voice will lead on to your destined path to becoming a master in your work.
2. The Ideal Apprenticeship- “Consider the roles you lead in your career as Apprenticeships”. This phase goes through the various elements of transformation in the mind when a person is continually learning and developing.
3. The Mentor Dynamic – The mentor –protégé relationship is the most efficient and productive form of learning. Greene analyses the process and drives home the importance of having the right mentor in your life, what to look for in a mentor, how to attract them and when to leave them.
4. Social Intelligence – “Often the greatest Obstacle to our pursuit of Mastery comes from the emotional drain we experience in dealing with the resistance and manipulations of the people around us.” Greene identifies the seven deadly realities or negative qualities to watch out for in people and how to avoid them. Strategies for acquiring social intelligence are also highlighted to meet the challenges of dealing with people in your work.
5. Awaken the dimensional mind: The creative active – Greene has devised a 3 step programme to awaken your creativity and expand your mind. A) The creative task, B) Creative strategies, C) The creative breakthrough. Greene goes on to list the six emotional pitfalls that may threaten your work along the way and finally clarifies 9 Strategies for the creative active phase to help you reach your goals.
6. Fuse the intuitive with the rational – Mastery - The closing chapter sets out the strategies required to attain Mastery throughout your life, and how both intuition and rationality are both equally important in achieving greatness in any field.
“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind a faithful servant. We have created a society that honours the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein.
Robert Greene has written a detailed book giving excellent case studies to further clarify his message. The irony is you do have to be somewhat dedicated and focused to take in the vast amount of information included in each chapter. However if you do take the time without distraction to sit and work your way through it this is the most thorough example I have read of what is essentially a success manual. Do not be put off by the flowery descriptions of each chapter, as contained between the pages are some transformative guidance notes on becoming the best version of yourself you can be ,- and I guess that’s we all want that in the end.