4.0 out of 5 stars Elton takes on Hollywood - and wins
If your experience of Ben Elton the novelist is through "Past Mortem", "Dead Famous", "Inconceivable " and others, you may be forgiven for thinking that he is a very British novelist, concerned with british themes, concerns, and media phenomena. "Popcorn" blows that idea out of the water. Its set exclusively in the USA, mostly in Hollywood, and its sharp, streetwise,...
Published on 27 Aug. 2005 by Mr. D. Clark

2.0 out of 5 stars Overstretching credibility
Having read 'High Society', thought I'd try another Ben Elton book.

By comparison to 'High Society' (which I thoroughly enjoyed), I found 'Popcorn' one-dimensional and rather dull. I didn't empathise or sympathise with any of the characters and just couldn't care what happened to them.

The two poor 'white trash' villains were imbued with intellect...
Published on 21 May 2009 by nielsrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Popcorn, 28 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Popcorn (Paperback)
This book is absolutely brilliant. I hadn't read a book for 10 years when I picked this one up at the airport before flying to Spain. I spent the whole of the first 3 days reading it and couldn't put it down. Would highly recommend it to anybody!

3.0 out of 5 stars where's the message?, 2 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Popcorn (Paperback)
no doubt in my mind, this book was very well written, and thoroughly enjoyable. that is, until the end. i am old fashioned in that i like to walk away from a book feeling positive, but the conclusion to this was depressing beyond reason. we get glimmers of hope near the climax, only to have them extinguished as, basically, everyone that we are routing for ends up dead. i feel i got a little too engrossed and became more attached to the characters than perhaps intended, thus ended up walking off with my head hung low.
perhaps read this for the writing, as the writing is fantastic; but beware: the message is not one of rainbows, sunshine and lollipops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanbloodytastic, 29 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Popcorn (Paperback)
Alongside starship titanic and the dirk gently novels, this is one of the funniest books that I have ever read and it has a great story to boot. Its filled with memorable characters and scenes that will stick in your cranium for a long time. I dont have the words to do justice to this book, all I can say is that its a lough out loud riot with some food for thought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 18 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Popcorn (Paperback)
It was fantastic. I am now 13, read it when i was 12 and I love it. All the Ben Elton books are fab. If you liked Dead famoous you will love this.

Popcorn