4.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Classic
I've just got into Ben Elton novels - I've never been a huge fan of his stand-up, but he's a cracking storyteller.
This Other Eden seems to be his least famous work; ominously, there were no quotes celebrating the book's quality in either this one, or in the Also Available... blurbs in his other novels. Had a picked a duffer? I don't think I did at all.
The plot...
Published on 30 Aug 2003 by C Chapman

3.0 out of 5 stars Too similar to Stark
Published on 22 Dec 2003 by Irene Ramos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Forgotten Classic, 30 Aug 2003
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
The plot returns to that familiar stomping ground of Elton's: politics and the environment. They say write about what you know, and Elton certainly does know what he's talking about here. The crux of the story - the end of the world is coming sooner or later, so let's market it... and accelerate it as a by-product. Elton gives us his usual bunch of contrasting characters, and without wanting to spoil anything for you, the least promising of the protaganists had me cheering for him by the end. A masterful emotional journey this one...
It's a little slow to get going, but once the odd murder happened and the conspiracy mushroomed, I found it gripping. The climax - a cinematic showpiece, written so well I could see the camera angles - was magnificent, and even amongst the set pieces, there are so many little knowing observations and concepts I loved, some of them Douglas Adamsesque.
Of the books of his I've read so far, this is the most blatantly SF, but it hasn't really been advertised as such, and maybe that's why no one talks about it much in comparison to Stark or Inconceivable. Ben Elton? He's a comedian, he writes clever political environmental satire, not SF.
So, Science Fiction or clever political environmental satire? The answer's simple. It's both. Fiction IS allowed to be multi-tasking you know. And it's actually really good.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Other Eden, 10 Aug 2002
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
If you want to laugh at a marketing culture gone mad then Ben Eltons 'This Other Eden' is the book for you. It is set on the eve of global meltdown. The rat race has begun. The world is governed by crude advertising and 'feel good' products such as spray-on condoms, inflatable breasts, virtual reality for the masses and free liposuction with the purchase of twenty donuts or more.
The story follows a group of unlikely heros on their quests to save the planet. A planet that is now frantically buying claustropheres (self-contained, self-supporting environments), for every back yard.
The narrator changes with the characters, beginning with Nathan, an anal, struggling, British scriptwriter. He has come to Los Angeles to pitch an advert for claustropheres to marketing genius, media baron and claustrosphere empire owner, Plastic Tolstoy. "At the age of twelve Plastic Tolstoy made his first million...He wrote to the manufacturers (of cereals), suggesting that they reverse the ratio and market boxes full of snap-together plastic toys with a free corn-flake hidden amongst them. Kids went crazy for it."
Plastic is the story's villain, his main adversary is Jurgen Thor, leader of Natura, a fundamentalist version of Greenpeace.
For the romantics Rosalie Connolly, an Irish Natura terrorist, and Max, a pretentious movie star, provide the love interest.
The frequency of the environmental disasters and the twists and turns along the way make this book hard to put down-how will it all end?
Ben Elton gained notoriety writing for Blackadder and The Young Ones. He always touches on issues that most other comedians shy away from. This book is no exception. As with his other novels he has managed to put forth his opinions in a highly enjoyable and light-hearted style. This book has great entertainment value. It can be easily read and provides plenty of laughs.
"Claustropheres: who are you to deny your kids a future?"

3.0 out of 5 stars Too similar to Stark, 22 Dec 2003
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
This is the 7th book by Elton that I have read and as always, I foud it very entertaining and funny. BUT-compared to all the other books, this was the one that gave me the strongest impression of "déjà-vu". Too similar to Stark. The brave, attractive girl, the vain and halfwitted guy, the war veteran who's completely nuts, the ruthless megatycoon and so on. Somebody dies unexpectedly just as is Stark, and the plot is exactly the same. If you're an inconditional fan as I am, you'll have a lot of fun and will have the impression that Elton has a special gift to describe archetypical characters and still sound sharp and cynical. But if you're not into "more of the same stuff" and haev read Stark, you can be a little brought down with This other Eden. I had a good time, but it didn't thrilled me as much as the other novels by Ben Elton.

4.0 out of 5 stars we've all soiled our proverbial nappies..., 1 Sep 2006
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
I have to disagree with the dude who said this book was too similar to Stark. The basic idea of environmental destruction is the same but there's a lot more creativity involved than that. Elton's so much more imaginative and inventive with the future in this book. Stark almost asked you to change your attitude towards global warming (I think Elton believed we could still be saved) whereas Eden is all about the fact that we're all totally pooped on. Well, that we've pooped all over ourselves.

I'm not sure I liked the characters as much as I did in Stark and there's a pretty dodgy love story whacked in so that Elton can make a few observations on love and sex (it sells, I suppose... even the writer's not above the marketing he mocks). The love thing happens all a bit quickly for me though. However, it's an easy read and despite a somewhat serious message about the environment, for the majority of the book, impending doom does make for surprisingly good entertainment. Elton pokes fun at the industry of Hollywood, consumerism, sex, the future of technology, advertising, inevitable death and condoms. Well everything, really.

Anyways, if you like to ignore what's happening to your planet, you might not like this book... But just read it for the condom bits, you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our planet will appreciate your reading this novel, 28 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
Ben Elton is truly talented. He is clever, amusing and conveys his message well because he is entertaining. If you have the slightest fear for our planet earth, read this and you will see that he's not far off the mark. When you've read this, go on to "Blast from the Past" and "Inconceivable". Ben Elton just gets better and better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ben Elton at his best, 4 Sep 2004
Mayumiwinn (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
I have read quite a few of Ben Eltons books, this by far has been my favourite. I read it on holiday, and could not put it down, so naturally it went everywhere with me, spending countless hours on the beach. This satire on the future is hilarious and shocking at the same time. I dont want to give much away but Ben Elton takes us on another brilliant adventure. Go and buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent product, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
This is an excellent product and the service was also spot on, so I 100% recommend this product to everyone :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
Ben Elton at his best - good story, humorous and could not be put down.
I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why does the book description particularly feature Nathan? - and SolarTech, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
When I only had a few pages of this book left to read and had replied mentioning that I was reading this book to a man's review of 'Blind Faith' somebody rang me up from 'SolarTech, Middlesbrough'. I said 'I'll leave it for now, thank you' and she said 'You won't!'

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-aggedon, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: This Other Eden (Paperback)
Ben Elton's "This Other Eden" is a terrific read. Funny, thought provoking and a page-turner of epic proportions. This is not Elton's first kick at the End-of-The-World scenario, but this is probably my out-and-out favourite iteration. Plot, characterizations, and humour are all at their prime here.
I will not delve into the storyline, as I am certain many other reviewers have covered the essentials approprietly and because, doing so would deprive future readers of a very worthwhile literary journey.
Suffice it to say, that " This Other Eden" is a very satisfying and worthwhile read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›