5.0 out of 5 stars MUST watch! Brilliant!
Published 2 days ago by Claire, Lulu

2.0 out of 5 stars Do dead, undead people really move that fast?
This film was watchable and while I wasn't a huge fan, I did enjoy the tension (in this regard it was an excellent thriller!)
However, in my opinion there just wasn't the story, or characterisation to make you really engage with the film.

Published 4 days ago by Jonkey

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST watch! Brilliant!, 23 July 2014
Claire, Lulu "Lulu" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: World War Z [DVD] (DVD)
I am also a late comer to this film and I have to say, I'm so glad I came to it! I don't do horror films generally, they DO freak me out and zombie films are just my worst nightmare (with the exception of clowns, clowns are just wrong!). I bought this in an effort to be brave and to ogle at Brad Pretty (not a typo). Well I'm truly glad I was being brave. This film is gripping from the start, when I say gripping, I mean superglue! It is literally minutes before you have no choice but to continue.
Aside from looking good, Brad does quite a good job, he's convincing enough and while I want overly in love with his screen wife in the film, I could've been convinced easy enough. The children in the film make the suspense and tension all the more real and Brad does a good job of convincing you he is the doting daddy.
The premise is that his character is a retired UN officer and that as a consequence of the entire world seeming to go rabid, they require him to assist with the "sustained threat". So it starts. The zombies are literally on steroids and super fast. Only Bolt would have half a hope of outrunning them. No more spoilers though, genuinely one of the best zombie films I've seen, less mindless gore, more story, more action, well worth the few hours!
If you're after gore, go elsewhere, but if your after sustained thrills throughout, a decent enough story and Brad Pretty ogles, definitely the film to choose, even for wusses like me who are terrified of zombies :-/

4.0 out of 5 stars 4/5 for the extended cut, 12 Jun 2014
I'm a little late to the party with World War Z. I remember reading about various production problems and generally average reviews but eventually bought the 3d version with 2d Extended action cut.
Having watched the 2d extended cut i couldn't understand the negativity. Ok, i've not read the book which usually turns out to be a massive advantage for enjoying a film in its own right but even so, i thought it was one of the most tense (in a good way) films i've seen in years.
I used to watch all the 'Return of the Living Dead' type films when i was younger and really enjoyed all the over the top blood n guts but never found them scary. World War Z however swaps over the top blood n guts for edge of your seat tension.
Its not that theres NO gore. Its just less in your face than the less subtle Zombie films of old.
The action starts very quickly after a brief introduction to the main characters. The Zs introduction to the film is really well done with them causing rapidly escalting panic with their speed and aggression.
This speed and aggression is the what makes each action sequence so tense. Even when the one situation is such that they are apparantly more like their slower cousins of older films, you're fully aware that one wrong move will result in instant chaos.
I'll not go into the plot so much or describe each sequence, thats why you watch a film isn't it?
I thought the acting was of a very good standard throughout and i was pleasantly suprised at how good Brad Pitt was as the ex United Nations employee tasked with discovering the cause of the outbreak.
The music performed by Muse was good. Not excellent or terrible, just good. It didnt interfere or standout at all which maybe is not that bad a thing.
If there was one downside it was that years of watching action films have conditioned me and probably many people into expecting films to follow a certain pattern, which this film doesnt follow near the end. Basically it finished when i wasn't expecting it to, as i assumed there was another full on action sequence to come after what turned out to be the end.

All things considered, i give the 2d extended cut 4/5 but this is only half of the story.

Last night i watched the 3d version which i believe is the version seen in Cinemas. Now i can see why the initial reaction to this film was not that good.
The actualy 3d is very good and clear, though in a general way. The problem is that much of what made the extended cut so brilliantly tense has been cut. It doesnt destroy the film but even taking into account that id seen it before, the action scenes where shorter and just more run of the mill than the extended cut.
Its a real shame that the director (or whoever decides these things) wasnt allowed to release the full version and that the watered down version is what most people will have seen.
I've got to say it's also frustrating that films like this and Wolverine only have the better, extended version in 2d as ill probably never watch the 3d version again.
cheers

2.0 out of 5 stars Do dead, undead people really move that fast?, 21 July 2014
This review is from: World War Z (Blu-ray)

As has been said previously, I found Brad Pitt to be just mediocre - something I don't normally associate with him.

Finally, the real thing I couldn't get past was the fact that the zombies (sorry, undead!) all seemed to be speeded up in a cheesy 1970's police chase type of way. This really annoyed me, to the point of frustration. (And it annoys me that I was annoyed!) but for me, this made the film less believable. (Well, as believable as undead, dead people running around biting alive people to make them undead, dead people can possibly be!)

Sorry, just not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic in the making, 2 July 2013
Rob (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World War Z [Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
An extremely impressive entry in the zombie genre and for me easily the best such since 1977's Dawn of the Dead. WWZ may break one of the supposed rules of the genre in its almost complete absence of gore but Brad Pitt's film more than compensates with an efficiently plotted linear storyline that remarkably shows no obvious signs of its troubled production, a spectacular sense of scale, a satisfactory balance between action and emotion rare in summer blockbusters and an often intense breakneck pace.

There's a lot that I liked about WWZ, from the way the film utilizes its fast moving zombies as a symbol of the often frightening speed and density of everyday life, to supporting characters who are introduced only to be killed off without any of the bombast you'd have had to endure had the movie been directed by a Zack Snyder or Michael Bay. The emotional heart of the story - UN hotshot Gerry Lane's (Brad Pitt) relationship with his wife and kids - feels refreshingly damped down rather than overblown, believable without being schmaltzy. Rich and famous he may be but there's an interesting grounded quality to Pitt. Casting him as an Everyman sort of character doesn't seem like the kind of stretch it would if you had the likes of DiCaprio or Tom Cruise starring.

The story is a ground-breaking amalgamation of zombie horror and one of those plague stories in which the hero is charged with finding a cure. The plot, which sends Gerry from Philly to South Korea, to Israel and then Wales in pursuit of the infection's source, never feels like it's just marking time. Each location holds a clue and by the time Gerry figures out the ingenious solution en route to the film's climax the story tops even that by forcing our hero to make a virtual life or death decision. The payoff includes what might be the most well earned and enjoyable onscreen drink since Ice Cold In Alex.

The action sequences are sensational with the (rightly) much talked about Israeli siege a standout. The chaos which leads to a hectic chase through narrow streets covered by a wire fence over which swarm countless zombies leads to an even more claustrophobic showdown inside a jumbo jet. The film is genuinely unnerving, often tense - especially the final third - and sometimes jump out of your seat scary. All without any bad language or explicit gore. There's a lesson there.

Littered with unexpected touches - the viewer's shock at a would be suicide jump by a certain character who fears he's been infected and can't bear to see his family in danger, a female Israeli IDF soldier who becomes an unexpected ally of Gerry's and who isn't saddled with a lame romantic sub-plot between her and the star, a nuclear blast viewed from the cockpit of a plane in which no words, no explanation are offered and don't need to be (at this point in the movie it truly looks like game over for mankind) and a last act that eschews the empty spectacle of so many summer blockbusters and goes instead for a tense, low-key and genuinely intimate climax that I'm happy to acknowledge had me on the edge of my seat.

But perhaps best of all is the film's underlying message, epitomized by an Israeli who tells Pitt's character that 'For every life we save, it's one less enemy we have to fight.' This is a movie about the end of the world that unlike so many other zombie films shows people refusing to retreat into small survivalist groups but instead doing their best to save as many lives as they can. It does not surprise me in the least that World War Z has defied months of hostile online sniping to become a big box office hit and I'm very happy it has. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars World War Z 3D Unrated USA Blu Ray Release - region free, 12 Sep 2013
Firstly, Amazon places reviews against all versions of a film so I must make clear to anyone viewing this that I have reviewed the USA release for the Unrated 3D, Blu Ray, DVD Combo set that you should be able to buy through Amazon Marketplace. Although this is a USA release it is multi-region so the Blu Ray should work in UK players (the DVD is coded Region 1 but most DVD players are multi-region anyway or can easily be made so). The Amazon link for this version can be found here World War Z. [Blu-ray] [US Import]. Note: the UK 3D release out appears to be the same as the USA one so much of what follows will hopefully be of use to purchasers of the UK release.

Main reason for my purchase of the USA set is the earlier release date plus fact it contains the 'Unrated' cut of the film. I first watched World War Z at the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed it and, being a fan of the zombie type films, thought I would get the USA release as it adds another 6/7 mins or so to the running time and comes complete with 3D version as well. A review of each as follows:

Unrated edition: The unrated cut is only available on the standard 2D Blu Ray. Watching it and I had to wonder where the extra scenes were as they were not immediately apparent. This is surely a good thing as the film was just as gripping as the theatrical cut with no obvious filler that didn't need to be put back anyway other than to cater for the market I fall for in buying editions with cut scenes reinstated etc.,! Checking after the film finished and it appears the extra 6 or 7 minutes were spread throughout the film with additional 'gore' for scenes where the theatrical version cut away (head impacts etc.,). Coming from watching season after season of The Walking Dead the unrated version did not seem over the top in anyway - the gore parts were entirely consistent with the zombie type film genre and made for a better film. A few scenes were extended such as the Israel part (and one involving teeth extraction - ouch!) but all was certainly worth putting back in. After seeing both versions I feel the unrated version is the one to go for - not sure if the UK release will get this cut so you may have to hunt down the USA release if you want a copy. Be prepared to pay a premium for this as well - watch out if you use Amazon.com if the price of the Blu Ray goes over the 15 limit or customs/VAT charges become due.

3D version: This is the standard cut - the unrated is, sadly, not available in 3D. This was a huge disappointment as an unrated cut in 3D would have been my preference but, sadly, it is not to be. The 3D version is handled well with some good effects but not one of those demonstration moment type films. There are lots of dark scenes of course and this doesn't help with 3D although I noticed the film was presented with a tad extra brightness which helped with the 3D. The lack of 3D unrated cut is the reason I have given 4 rather than 5 stars.

Sound: This has a lossless 7.1 track so for those of you lucky enough to have such a system you will not be disappointed - this is a fantastic soundtrack and of demo type quality.

Extras: there are a fair number of featurettes which are all quite interesting and especially so for the scenes filmed in the UK. I didn't realise the amphibious landing type ship the lead characters helicopter lands on that serves as the command ship was a Royal Navy Ship! The Glasgow part was explained in terms of how they turned it in to a USA city - all very interesting for a single watch.

Overall this is a great package and highly recommended. Hope that this review has helped out for those wondering if the 30 or so (for the USA Unrated version) is worth it.

Update 21st October 2013: As mentioned the UK release does seem to have the longer 'unrated' cut of the film and the BBFC website states that the film was passed as 'uncut' so you should have the same as the USA release but without the extra cost! If you go for the 3D version you will get the same theatrical cut for 3D and the longer cut for the standard 2D. Unless you want the USA one therefore best bet is to save some money and buy the UK release now it is out.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should have been a TV show counterpoint to Walking Dead, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: World War Z [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly, there's nothing (in my mind) inherently interesting about Brad Pitt in and of himself. He's a very good actor, and when he gets good parts he's very engaging (Fight Club etc...). But in this, he's Mr.Bland floppy haircut. He's got no character, and that's one of the biggest problems in this film. When there are interesting characters, they're given about 2 minutes of screen time. Then it's back to Mr.Bland and his tedious quest to bla bla zombies bla bla cure. It's just Brad Pitt wandering around looking pained. This is a Brad Pitt vehicle, not an adaptation of Max Brooks book of the same name. This is 'Benjamin Button', but with zombies.

Quite often with these kinds of films, I like to watch the making-of extras on the DVD so I can listen to the filmmakers explain themselves. With this film, someone (the Director, I think) spoke about having the family element in it to create a sense of drama about Mr.Bland having to leave them and go find out how these zombies were created. To me, that is one of the problems with this film. Shoddy paint-by-numbers script writing. See, Walking Dead had Rick concerned about his family. Walking Dead works because the family aspect is an integral part of the show - it's organic. This feels ham-fisted and lazy. Like, "Oh, see, he's a family man! CARE ABOUT HIM PLEASE!!" And then several disjointed scenes in various places around the world.

Really, there's nothing much to differentiate this from any other bland zombie film.

It's a very difficult book to film - primarily because it's comprised of a large collection of small stories. And you can't do that in a film, at least not in a way that will make the film engaging. It's called 'World War Z' because the stories take place all over the world. Hence, why this would have made a better TV show. Each episode covering a different small story around the world.

And I dread to think what the original ending was like, considering that Damon Lindelof was called in to make the actual ending watchable. I actually liked what they did though - the idea of it anyway, and the much smaller 'sacrifice' element they had. I believe the original ending was one of those OMG ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE FIGHT FIGHT CGI BUILDINGS COLLAPSING EVERYWHERE EXPLOSION endings you get nowadays.

I liked the little speech the scientist guy gave about nature and clues and whatnot. I also liked the whole Jerusalem part, and the image of the zombies piling up on each other to get over the wall was fantastic! As usual with these kinds of films - lots of small clues to what the film could have been.

But, overall, MEH! (Yeah, I know, check my other reviews and I've only reviewed films I dislike so far! Seriously, I do actually like films! I just seem to find myself compelled to review films that urk me over films I love! Perhaps I should actually go review a movie I love for once...)

2.0 out of 5 stars An "ok" film but falls drastically short of other lesser budget films, 23 July 2014
This review is from: World War Z (Amazon Instant Video)
The infected looked badly done, and beneath what is expected from a "blockbuster" these days.

I love my zombie/ infected films films but I would recommend to watch 28 days later instead. If you have already watched 28 days later, I wouldn't bother with this one, it pales in comparison.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Speed Zombies, 11 Nov 2013
R. King "raking" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: World War Z [DVD] (DVD)
Really like this film. There have been a few dodgy reviews so wasn't sure what to expect but I needn't have worried as it is fast, exciting and very very entertaining. Although I have always loved Zombie movies I have always thought to myself "how could you possibly be caught by them and eaten when they are so slow to move". That is not the case here - here they are very very fast and that would be scary. If you haven't seen this but like Zombie flicks then I am sure you will love it. Go and buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars world war z, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: World War Z [DVD] (DVD)
Edge of your seat, gripping movie with fantastic infected footage this is one of the best zombie films I've seen since dawn of the dead.if you like watching the walking dead then this is a must see film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: World War Z [DVD] (DVD)
Great action film, good for all the family to watch(older kids of course) really enjoyed the story, made you feel the panic
That was going on as some of the crowd footage was like watching a news clip.

World War Z [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
World War Z [Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Marc Forster (Blu-ray - 2013)
9.50