on 11 September 2013
Ticks all the basic boxes, comes with enough of everything for browsing, school work etc without much fuss

Seems well built, and tough enough to survive my Son's use at School.

Not glamorous, but it isn't meant to be ....
on 30 October 2013
I bought this laptop for £500 on 4 September 2013. Barely a month later it has started developing issues with the hinges and gaps in the bezel around the screen, a ticking timebomb now and I need it for uni. The store I bought it from only send it for repair between 21 days and 12 months, before that they would have replaced it! Apart from that the laptop was very slow and unstable at the beginning, turned out to be a driver and software issue causing most of it (Bluetooth).

One good thing is the matt screen, very few laptops have that these days and they are far easier to see in bright light. Although the resolution of 1366x768 and viewing angles are nothing to write home about. Also has a 2nd Gen i5 processor which is now quite old although nothing wrong with the performance of it, plus 6GB RAM and 1TB HDD are good.
Touchpad is multi-touch which is very helpful and Keyboard is fine for the price paid.
May seem to run a bit hot (idles at around 45-50C and full load at 80C)although it seems that is normal for a i5 (I have a first gen i5-750 on a desktop and that is only 5-10C lower for both values which is about right given the smaller airflow in a laptop. You could always throttle it to a lower max speed in the power settings if heat is a major issue.
Battery life can be 4-5 hours with Wi-Fi off for most of the time and up to 25% display brightness.

Windows 8 and 8.1 itself is fine, every laptop comes with that so you got to get used to it rather than negatively affect the review if you cannot be bothered to learn it. Once you spend the time doing that you will almost certainly be surprised at how much better it is generally - startup is usually much faster for example.

Before this I had a Sony Fit 15E which had a similar issue with hinges within 5 days of buying it, it cost £600 too, £100 more than this. I think for true quality you've got to pay a premium price for one with a metal casing or a business grade machine which are more likely to be made of higher quality materials. And you will have less issues with software crashes. And business laptops can often have the option to pay a bit extra for a downgrade to Windows 7 if you really prefer that.
on 31 January 2016
Do not under any circumstances buy this laptop from Samsung. If I could give it nothing - no stars at all - I would; this is not an exaggeration. Since day one, this laptop has been nothing but pure trouble. It managed to delete my firewall systems and virus protection, it disabled all forms of Micosoft Office and as a result had to download free versions from the internet. It constantly crashes, freezes, blue screens and most horribly has a constant black screen from the laptop failing to boot up altogether. It is weak when it comes to wifi as at least ten times a day I have to repeatedly reconnect to the internet hub, a problem I do not have with any other devices in my possession and there is no problem with the internet hub itself, it has limited space on the pc - barely able to hold anything and the divided storage between the two drives had permantely cocked up my data files, the graphics card is terrbile and upon the update of the new Windows 10 this laptop does not seem to know how to function properly. It persistently deletes the Windows 10 functions as well as Cortana in which I have to reboot over and over. The charger for this laptop is also incredibly unpredictable and does not connect properly to the port and as a result the power fluxuates repeated from being plugged in to stand alone battery. Also due to the location of the power port on the laptop, the charger connection over heats due to being in proximity to the fan. Resulting is a cable that is melting and a port that is frying out!
I would never recommend buying Samsung laptops to anyone, especially this one.
on 14 November 2013
From the day 1 it freezes and doesn't even load google page. I did the updates and still as bad. After 1 month and a half I decided to go Samuel King repair centre 52 Upper street London - which is a Samsung repair centre. Being under the warranty they should repair it fro free. I had to pay 60 pounds to repair it because I was told that was a software problem, not a hardware - in which case was covered by the warranty. I asked for the exact problem and they didn't tell me. They asked for more money so they can do further investigations and tell me the exact problem. They assumed that was a software problem and reinstall the OS. WHY? How did they know that wasn't BIOS problem? How can you charge me for something that you don't know? Samsung is s*** and I will never in my life buy something from them!
on 29 December 2014
Samsung is the worst lapstop I've ever owned. constant problems with the charger. I've had it repaired and the port is overheating again and won't charge. Technician said the charging port is badly designed. Nothing but problems. I'd never purchase a samsung again.
on 14 March 2014
I could have created a better laptop with a bulldozer and some sticky tape. The keyboard stops working randomly, so when you type it will just miss out random letters that you have pressed. The sound constantly makes a cracking noise when ever you listen to music, and this is regardless if you listen to it on the built in speakers, headphones or external speakers. Also when you listen to music, it sometimes just makes a loud buzzing noise as if it has crashed. The mouse will just stop sometimes, the computer does not freeze, you just cant click on anything. It is very slow. And it has windows 8 on it, which is by far the worst thing ever created, they have just got everything from windows 7, re designed it and totally cocked it up and made it really s*** and annoying.
on 5 September 2014
Suspiciously cheap for such a high spec machine? You'll soon find out why. Worst laptop I have ever owned. Windows 8 is bad enough, but on one of these it is diabolical. Stay away!
on 19 April 2014
Out of the box this product stinks, boasting an i5 processor I was expecting good things but simple tasks, like right clicking, would take an age to load, however after much deletion of nuisance windows 8 programs it is fine.
Value for money.
on 10 August 2015
I have been on the PC end of the world for a very long time now and I have to say, I have never experienced anything quite as terrible as this laptop. Now owned for a couple of years I barely touch it just because when I do I want to put my fist through the screen.
A cheap laptop and it is quick to give you the reason why. Mine can barely handle 2 tabs on a browser or have more than one application open. On boot up it is quick to get going but as soon as you see the desktop, the problems begin. Slow, unresponsive, tried opening browser and a frequented folder. Browser opened but took forever to register I was typing in the address bar. The folder took a couple of minutes to even open.
Whatever the "specifications" of this laptop may say, it does not deliver. I have worked with laptops covered in malware which worked better than this. Do not buy. Spend a little extra on something that wont have you grinding your teeth in hate.
on 25 October 2013
Nice looking laptop, but struggles and freezes despite less than 40% hard drive filled. Not as good as my 4 year old Toshiba despite better spec'.