4.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory with room for improvement
Published on 27 Feb. 2013 by Kamran Afzal

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a proper review - it's going back..
Published on 6 Feb. 2013 by gm9368

4.0 out of 5 stars Great accessory with room for improvement, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Anker 24W 4.8A ®/and dual USB Cigarette Lighter USB Car Charger with Micro USB Cable for Samsung Smartphone, Apple, Android Smartphones, Tablets (Electronics)
My usual experience with third-party accessories has never been particularly good however, having used some of Anker's products before I was more than happy to give the dual-port car charger a go. As usual, the delivery service via amazon.co.uk was fantastic and the item was delivered in perfect condition. The charger is delivered in a small box, containing the charger and a small yet informative instruction manual.

The charger is of good quality with a reassuring weight, a lovely coiled micro-usb lead, a spare usb port and a small blue light that indicates that the charger is installed and working correctly. Since receiving the charger, around seven days ago, I have been using it ever since to charge an iPhone 5 and an in-car bluetooth speaker. The experience has been flawless. The charger sits very well within my VW Golf and is not at all obtrusive however, this is clearly dependent on where your car lighter is located within your car. The charging experience has been excellent, very quick, very responsive and I have not experienced any loose connections resulting in a non-charge. Anker state that this particular charger has been optimised for both Android and Apple devices, resulting in quicker charges, and I can definitely vouch for this on my iPhone 5 and iPad 2. In regards to Android devices, I did not have any to test but my bluetooth car speaker which uses micro-usb to charge certainly charged a lot quicker in comparison to previous experiences.

If I had to pick at something, I wish that Anker had provided an Apple 30 pin or lighting port lead however, at this cost I can understand why they did not.

In conclusion, I use the charger everyday, it has not caused me any aggravation, the devices that it has been used to charge are still working without a glitch, my devices are charging a lot quicker and the cost of this experience is quite reasonable. It would be fair to say that I am very with the chargers performance so far.

Oh and if you do experience an issue, it is always nice to know that Anker offer an 18 month warranty for the product too.

Hope this helps guys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Charger, 26 Jan. 2013
Having a nokia lumia which a fairly power hungry phone a car charger is a must, I have had several 1 amp USB car chargers in various shapes and forms and they usually are only really good at maintaining the battery level, but don't seem to put much charge in if any.

I was happy to see that after my first use of the this the battery level had noticeably increased and was fully charged by the end of my journey (starting at 50% before hand).

This works well with us as we have a car with only 1 lighter socket attached, and with a second USB cable both my wife and myself can charge our phones at the same time.

The built in cable is coiled, which although it doesn't feel like it would reach a great distance is actually a lot neater then using a non coiled cable around the dash. (May sound irrelevant but i was surprised the difference it made locating the cable etc.)

The blue LED is inoffensive and can clearly see it's working.

I would imagine that this would be extra beneficial for the higher powered usb devices such as ipads etc.

Definitely would recommend this to a friend as the cheaper lower power alternatives very often seem to fail to keep up with high powered smart phones etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars High Power, 19 Dec. 2012
Bob (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I was given this free to review.
This is a useful accessory which will charge / run pretty well everything from a car socket (so far the only thing that I have found that it will not charge is a "Flip Video camera" but I have yet to find a charger that will charge that. Anker, the manufacturers, have done something with the data connectors to fool ipads etc into thinking that it is a genuine OEM charger so that it can charge at 3A and charge much quicker, there is no danger of overcharging as the device being charged will only draw as much current as it needs.. There are two usb outlets but one is the normal large usb socket and the other a miniature usb which is on the end of a curly lead (this plugs into the like of Kindles, Blackberrys etc). It does get hot in use particularly if both outputs are being used at the same time, it does warn about this in the instructions. The only negative comment I have is that there is a very bright blue led on the top and depending on where the socket is in your car can be distracting at night, obviously the driver should not be using a handheld device but one could be on charge while driving.
If there are any long term reliability problems I will update this review, but so far an excellent product and it does have a 18 month warranty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges my tablet & phone at full speed, 11 Nov. 2013
Pretty much does what it says it does. I run a tablet as my front end as part of my ICE installation, the USB is connected to my phone dock. This device is able to keep up with charging demands for both my phone & tablet when in full use (screen permanently on & bluetooth/gps etc. in use). Impressed considering I used to have a hard-wired charger behind the dash which cost a lot more & kept over heating & cutting out charge (to just one device!). This hasn't failed me yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality, 18 Oct. 2013
I spent a long time looking for a decent car charger for my Galaxy S2.

I wanted to be able to charge a tablet, my wife's iPad, her iPhone, my JawboneUP wristband and assorted other things so the ideal device was one with a bonded cable and microUSB connector for the phone and most other microUSB devices, plus a USB port for the rest. This is exactly what I wanted.

The charger is very well made; it feels really solid and is quite small. The cable to the USB connector is coiled; it's outer insulation is quite stiff, at least in a cooler country, so if the cable is coiled the wrong way the loops might distort. However, the stiffness means it feels less likely to damage the inner conductors through over-flexing and certainly feels tough enough to withstand getting caught in the assorted nooks and crannies in any car.

The electrical contacts are very well made; the outer ones are recessed, sprung metal buttons rather than bent bits of wire. The connector on the end of the cable is good quality as is the USB port. It doesn't get very hot in use, but that would depend on what you're charging and heat is to be expected from these devices.

It comes beautifully packaged, it would make a great gift.

Better still, just after buying it, Anker contacted me (via automated helpdesk, but when I tested it, a real person replied) to check if I was happy with the purchase and if they could help in any way.

A good product from a company that cares about it's customers. I'll look out for their products in future.

Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not really a proper review - it's going back.., 6 Feb. 2013
Just a quick word of warning to anyone who has a car lighter socket which is directly in front of the gear stick - this item is not 2.05" long as it says in the technical details, but is actually just over 4" long. I specifically chose it because my Nissan Qashqai has about 2" clearance between the gear stick and the socket so it needed to protrude from the socket as small a distance as possible.

Received the item, but as it so long there is no room to plug anything into the iPad socket and change gear safely, so unfortunately I've had to return it. I used an Anker battery in my Galaxy S2 and it was an excellent product, so I'm sure that this would be as good but it is no use in my vehicle, and I thought I should warn others of this potential problem. Someone needs to update the details to ensure that they are accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for Now, 10 April 2013
My previous USB charger was an official HTC one and after about 12 months it just became too loose to draw power. This Anker product seems to fit very well. The integrated coiled micro USB cable is really handy to keep my phone charged on the go, and the extra USB slot is available for when I need to use my Tom Tom. It certainly seems sufficient for my requirements, and I wil update this review further down the line if I encounter any issues after prolonged use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty Charger, 15 July 2014
I bought this as my other in car chargers did not allow me to charge and use my phone as a Sat Nav simultaneously. With this charger there are no such issues, fast and effective even under heavy load.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Excellent. Costly but provides supercharged charging. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised Well made for the price, 13 July 2014
Works fine to charge an iPhone 4 via the USB port and a Galaxy S5 with the built in lead. The lead could be longer but otherwise just what I would expect for the money