4.0 out of 5 stars Different, nice, but no song stands out
If you've followed Hillsong United, you might think you know what to expect from them - rock-based anthemic songs and that's about it.

Published on 7 Mar. 2013 by Peter R

2.0 out of 5 stars Recording quality far from good
This recording is marred by background hiss, not terrible, but far from the best recording quality, a bit of a dissappointment.
Published 13 months ago by Barry Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, nice, but no song stands out, 7 Mar. 2013
Peter R (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Zion (MP3 Download)

Thankfully this album moves away from that formula, which frankly had started to get stale. So with the new sound e.g. a slight 'Chinese' feel to Up in Arms, and generally quite a pads-based album this United album brings some freshness.

Gone also is the need to 'big' every single song up to a massive, unnecessary resounding crescendo. Instead they have not shied away from keeping a song on the down-low and allow different sounds to bring dynamic and mood rather than heavier guitar and louder drums. (yay!)

I liked it from the first listen and strangely for a United album, I would almost put this under the easy-listening category. I quite happily have it playing in the background while I do my work (the joys of working from home). Whereas I can't say I would ever have any of their previous albums on 'in the background'!

Having said all the above, it still sounds like a Hillsongs album, except Mercy Mercy and Scandal of Grace, which sounds very much like they written by Leeland. There isn't a duff song on this album, lyrically it has got some interesting lines, my favourite being

"Death, where is your sting?
It is as dead as my sin..." (Scandal of Grace).

There isn't yet a stand-out song for me and they all seem to drift one into another. But then given I use it as 'easy listening' that's fine by me!

In short - I would recommend it. It's different from much of what has gone before and in a good way. It's a fresh sound, got good lyrics and is very palatable.

Hope that helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Zion (MP3 Download)
Hillsong United just keep getting better and better as the years go on. An album that lyrically and musically does one thing... Glorify Jesus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 30 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Zion (Audio CD)
This is the first Hillsong CD I've ever bought and I haven't been disappointed, in fact I'm elated, every time I listen to this amazing album I'm swept away into the presence of God and His Kingdom here on Earth, the sound is awsome and I find myself listening to it at every opportunity, it's the best Christian album I've ever heard

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing !!!, 5 April 2013
Maggie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Its so amazig, my favorit no 4,
Would recommended it for anybody :)
Glad i bought that this CD i got another one for my sister :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Hillsong album ever released., 31 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Zion (Audio CD)
When I first got this album, I wasn't sure about it; it has an extremely different sound to the rest of the Hillsong//Hillsong United stuff that's been released before.

However, a couple of listens in, and I'm completely hooked! I have it playing 24/7. This album is absolutely amazing. Everything to the lyrics, to the instruments, is just A M A Z I N G! I cannot express to you enough how much of a life changer this album is. Jesus is amazing; this album is completely anointed!

If you're debating whether or not to buy it; BUY IT. You will not regret it!. :) xoxo

5.0 out of 5 stars ... for nearly two years now and it's still my favourite Christian music album, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Zion (Audio CD)
I've owned this album for nearly two years now and it's still my favourite Christian music album. It's outstanding with a great mix of songs. I was getting a little bored of the traditional hillsong sound - I liked the United stuff and Aftermath was a great album but Zion takes it way over that league in my opinion. I don't absolutely love every song, but do love most, and like the others, and I'll suddenly find that one I wasn't so into is getting to me and I can't stop listening to it ('Nothing like your love' springs to mind). I like the sound - there is a kind of synth 80s feel to it but not so 80s it's too 80s - more of a fresh take on synth sounds - and the way the songs tie in with each other really works (eg the last two songs, Tapestry and King of Heaven flow seamlessly into one another taking similar themes, King of Heaven brings the album to a magnificent end with sweeping vocals and synths - I love it. It's the album that brought us the brilliant 'Oceans' which never stops being good, and 'A Million Suns' is an underrated but amazing piece with a super catchy but edgy kind of chorus.
Love it, and waiting eagerly for the next offering.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful album, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Zion (Audio CD)
I love this album! this is the first worship album where I liked all the songs. It's the type of worship cd which you can listen to whenever. When I'm having a bad day these songs never fail to cheer me up. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Zion (Audio CD)
Quite a departure for Hillsongs. There are some great worship songs, Oceans stands out, but I haven't really bonded with this CD yet, will keep trying!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourit new band, 11 April 2014
This review is from: Zion (MP3 Download)
What wonderful lyrics to these songs, really make you get connected and make you think about what our Lord has done for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zion what an album, 7 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Zion (MP3 Download)
I love this album. Easy listening. Loved the tract ocean. It is brilliant. Worth every penny. Lovely worship album. ENJOy

Zion
Zion by Hillsong (Audio CD - 2013)