4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album that just sags a bit towards the end
Foxygen are an interesting new band that can sound at times like a psychadelic era Rolling Stones, and at other times more like MGMT. If you like the former element then the first album has the edge. I would have given it an enthusiastic 5 stars but for the tendency for it to start to sag a bit towards the end. A word of warning to those who are obsessed with sound...
Published on 14 Jun. 2013 by FiftySomething

3.0 out of 5 stars Foxygen - The summer of love
This is an album that can be located in Marmite territory. As you know if your a fan of the sticky, dark brown paste you will love it alternatively the "I hate Marmite" facebook page has nearly a quarter of million members and is growing. In terms of music reviews it has torn the jury asunder. Pitchfork has given it 8.4 out of 10 while the Quietus has given it...
Published on 24 Jan. 2013 by Red on Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Summer, Babe (Winter Version), 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors (Audio CD)
I don't know much about Foxygen; they are another postmillennial indie rock duo, they're from California and this is their second album. Now, awful moniker aside (from Wayne's World, no less), that in itself should be enough to generate a wave of apathy so powerful that you could quite possibly yawn yourself inside out, if only you could be bothered. Fortunately for everyone, Foxygen sound like all of your favourite sixties bands all being played at once. I spotted Dylan, Bowie, the Velvet Underground, Sly Stone, the Lovin' Spoonful, a bit of Donovan and even a bit of Marvin Gaye - and that was in just one song (No Destruction). Obviously, any band of an indie rock bent that crawls out of California cannot and will not escape comparisons to Pavement and Foxygen are no different. Just like the perpetually sun-drenched vibes of Best Coast, it really must be something they put in the orange juice.

Anyway, I want to keep this one short and sweet. Foxygen might not be the most original or inventive band of 2013 but they do have a breezy quality in their music that might just bring some colour to your cheeks. Maybe, as the UK crawls out from beneath the January snow, we can lay off any passing resemblances to the P band for now and just enjoy the sun on our faces for the next 36 minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, retrograde rubbish, 15 Feb. 2014
This review is from: We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors (Audio CD)
Sometimes, music recommendations from friends can be winners. Sometimes, you wonder what you're missing. And sometimes, you get a recommendation that's so far off the mark you wonder whether your friend has been replaced by an android. The recommendation to listen to this Foxygen album falls into the last category.

First, the name of the band. Foxygen. Nope. That's embarrassingly naff. Go away.

Second, the music. Derivative, dull, unimaginative. Regurgitating the music of your heroes without a spark of wit? That ain't gonna work.

Finally, if you are going to form a band featuring such concepts as "singing" and "vocals", you might want to find a singer who can actually sing, instead of randomly getting a blundering tone deaf idiot in off the street to record your album. Dear God, the vocals are so far out of tune it hurts.

"Epic fail".

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone is totally individual and some ones are really nice surprises like San Francisco, 23 Nov. 2014
Frank Bozic Jr. (brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors (Audio CD)
I was resisting to buy this album, and now my only regret it haven't done it before!! Incredible songs! Everyone is totally individual and some ones are really nice surprises like San Francisco, that's ok, I was born in LA!!!! Amazing!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland sugary 60s retro pop, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors (Audio CD)
Hmmm, yet another album I bought in the new year that disappoints. What's with all these end of year lists raving over music that's mediocre or at best 'quite good'? Okay, so this is just my opinion and perhaps therein lies the problem, however I don't hear anything in this album that goes beyond 'average'.

The songs may be retro (and believe me that's no bad thing in my books), but I feel a better term in this case would be 'derivative'. They sound almost like a cliché of 60's pop and not what 60's pop really sounded like. In short, it sounds uninspired, like a band who didn't do their homework and instead tried to sound like every 60's artist they could think of. The only song that connected with me in any way was 'No Destruction'. The song 'San Francisco' could've been a good one too if it weren't so sugary-sweet. The vocals aren't terrible, but they are far from good. Even the band name 'Foxygen' is cringe-worthy. I mentioned this band in a pub recently and the response I got was "what a rubbish name!" (I tell a lie...they didn't use the word rubbish...)

Rant over, and onto the things I actually liked. Well the musicianship wont win any awards but its pretty good. I admire the band for not adhering to basic song structure, instead they start here - end there. However, (and In fairness to those who love this album) I can't really find anything truly bad about this album. Its also fair to say that I like similar bands that are just as derivative ('Cosmic Rough Riders' or 'The Fast Camels' spring to mind), however, this album for whatever reason might be, doesn't work for me, hence the three stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Love this album.....

We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors
We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors by Foxygen (Audio CD - 2013)