4.0 out of 5 stars Oldfield offers a new tubular view
Published on 14 Feb. 2013 by Kim B

3.0 out of 5 stars Ringing out the bells and beating the old drum....?
So Tubular Beats, what's it all about? With so many Tubular Bells albums out there a little clarifacation may be required.

Published on 16 Feb. 2013 by Edward Leedskalnin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Oldfield offers a new tubular view, 14 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
I approached this album with trepidation (I made sure I heard it before buying). I remember buying CDs in the 1980s with "bonus remixes" most of which were robotic tedium. This, however, offered the promise of being better as the original artist had been a key player in the project and the original multitrack tapes were used. As a follower of Mike Oldfield's music since Tubular Bells in 1972 I've always enjoyed the melody of his work and I'm pleased to say that isn't lost in this project which is, inevitably, much more about rhythm. Rather than mere remixes, we have here fundamental reinterpretations including some newly recorded parts. Having played it several times I'm enjoying it a lot, finding a similar feel to some of the 1970's work of Tangerine Dream - not just sampled repetition but often symphonic and certainly evocative. Clearly a lot of thought has gone in and it definitely isn't just a dance album. I'd recommend Oldfield enthusiasts to try to hear it before buying - some will loathe it, but I suspect more will enjoy it a lot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ringing out the bells and beating the old drum....?, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)

The tracks on this album are remixes of a range of old classics far broader in choice than the Tubular cannon. They are not the remasters or re-recordings we have become accustomed to expect from Oldfield and his peers. Mike has never been one for convention though and these re-mixes whilst being great club-dance-trance versions of old classics, feature new riffs and noodling from the guitar maestro.

So what about the results? I think it is fair to say that Oldfield fans of old may find it difficult to warm to these tracks but I wouldn't be so hasty, just don't go in expecting a return to multi-layered hand-crafted mastery and you won't be disappointed. Much has been said about Oldfield's forray into club and electro territory and I for one have been known to heavily slate it in my reviews. This album though is vastly different to all that, this time round he gets it right. I always thought Oldfield was at his best when working with someone else, I'm thinking about Tom Newman on the early masterpieces, David Bedford on Incantations, Pierre Moerlern and Morris Pert on Five Miles Out, etc. Here he has Torsten Stenzel, otherwise known as York, to show him the way. Maybe Light and Shade and Tres Lunas wouldn't have been so awful with this chap on board!? Importantly though, this isn't an album that pretends to be trance and misses the mark, this is the real deal with all the right sounds and production, this is the first truly modern Oldfield album in a generation.

I do though have reservations about the To France and Moonlight Shadow remixes They're just too cheesy for me, I can see them working really well on the radio though. I also find the new track; Never Too Far rather boring. It's far too familiar territory for Oldfield, very well produced but melodically could have been written any time in the last 20 years. York & Mike's Electrofunkmix of Guilty and Northstar though sound better than the originals to me so overall I'm happy.

I'm not sure that Tubular Beats works as an album though. I've prefered to listen to one or two tracks at a time, maybe I'm getting too old for this sort of thing! I certainly couldn't dance all the way through, those days are well behind me. Not sure about the sleeve and title either, it's not a Tubular Bells album and I would liked to have seen some interesting new artwork to add to the Oldfield mythology.

If you've come to Oldfield because you liked his Olympic appearance this album will not disappoint, buy it. If what you yearn for is a return to the Oldfield of Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge you'd be better off downloading Mohribold by Andrew Taylor. It's the only thing that's come close since Amarok. Google it, I downloaded it from a site called bandcamp. I've got a lot of mileage out of Mohribold and have raved on about it to every Oldfield and prog fan I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and has greater longevity than MOTR ever will, 14 Mar. 2014
Gary Nicholson "gazmundo" (Norfolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
Overall brilliant even the weaker are better than anything on Man on the Rocks by a distanceand taht's taking into account the genre difference. Not new stuff but the remixes work for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars It’s Mike Oldfield Jim but not as we know him., 28 July 2014
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
It’s Mike Oldfield Jim but not as we know him.
That’s what I’d say if I was Dr Spock I’ve looked at this many times and decided not to buy it after only hearing the odd track but eventually I found somewhere to hear the whole album only then was I convinced that it was worth buying .
This is not a remastered tubular bells far from it it’s basically an electronic dance remix of some of the old classic tracks from earlier albums that’s the best way I can describe it.
I’m not a fan of electronic music as a whole hence the long time deciding to buy this one but it is a surprisingly good album as you listen to it the remixed tracks you hear are instantly recognisable but nowhere near the original putting a now twist on the old classics which are good to listen to.
I personally like it but I still strongly recommend you listen to the whole album before you decide some Oldfield Fans may say it’s a remix to far.
You will find it on you tube just type in Mike Oldfield Tubular Beats

5.0 out of 5 stars Great remixes, 3 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
Terrific remixes of Mike Oldfield's work. Some of these come from my absolute favourite Mike Oldfield albums, so I wasn't sure how much I would appreciate the remixes. But these are done very well, allowing you to revisit old favourites for the first time :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tubular Beats, 18 April 2013
Edward J Elliott (Port William,Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
Being a fan of Mike Oldfield since the 70s, I really enjoyed this. I knew all of the tunes and found the modern twist really great.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works...in places, 12 Jun. 2013
Md Francis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
OK so I've been an Oldfield fan for 25 years and love practically every note he recorded up to Songs Of A Distant Earth. Millenium Bell was the turning point and I've not enjoyed much since. I am also a big fan of electronic music past and present, from Bruce Haack to Diskjokke. I was expecting the worst from this release, having long since tired of the endless re-hashing of Tubular Bells. It came up as recommended listening on Spotify and I thought why not..

Well I was pleasantly suprised to begin with. The re-constructions of the instrumental tracks actually worked. They've been given a lot of thought and the sound is genuinely contemporary without losing the character of the original. Not quite as effective as say Kraftwerks "The Mix" but impressive and enjoyable.

Then came the turning point: To France. Oh dear God... The songs do NOT work. Not in any sense, they are truly cringe making. I couldn't listen. It's Oldfield goes X-Factor.

So, like any review on here this is just an opinion and it appears others have somehow managed to derive pleasure from these abominations. Fair play, but in an age where new music is instantly accessible as a stream, I would encourage anyone thinking of buying this to have a proper listen first. Not 10 second teaser clips, but a full audition. If you decide it still floats your boat, then all good, but if like me you think half of it isn't worthy of even the most cloth eared of nincompoops, then proceed with caution and look at buying individual downloads.

Oh, and a note for Mike: If you're reading, please, please stick to doing what you have always done better than anyone else, creating organic, instrumental music with soul, quality musicianship and endless layers and melodies that create a musical treasure trove for the listeners to discover and enjoy forever. Oh and the occasional gem of a pop song :-)

(...and remaster Passed You By for a proper release)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some tracks are great...and some not so., 16 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
Some tracks are good, most are quite horrendous and show no resemblance to the orginal concepts. However To France is one of the greatest songs in recent years. Would say 2 and a half stars so was nice and rounded it up. Certainly not for everyone however if you're a fan of remix trance music then it's worth a look.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Antithesis to Oldfield Masterpieces!, 18 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
I'm not really a trance fan but this album was more dissappointing than i expected.
What I don't understand is how Oldfield fans (and Mike himself) can be big fans of this genre. To me the trance genre is the antithesis to Mike's instrumental masterpieces. Everything that was great about the original music is destroyed in this album. Other reviews make the point that it's not fair to compare the remixes to the original music. Ok fair enough, maybe this is for trance/club-music fans. My problem is I struggle to see how Mike and some of his fans can enjoy these remixes as well as the originals. The remixes are devoid of the original tunes, even worse the tunes are hinted at by filtered synths and the music builds up in a way that makes you think the full tune is about played behind a thumping beat. What you get instead is a thumping beat with 3 or 4 (or sometimes 2) notes of the tune repeated over and over. Yes this is a feature of trance, I am just surprised that Mike enjoys it when it is so far removed from anything he's done before.
I wish I could enjoy this album as much as some Oldfield fans, but i can't and frankly i'm surprised it hasn't got more negative reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad., 22 July 2013
Davy "Deejay" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tubular Beats (Audio CD)
I agree with some of the other reviews on this album, although I am a big fan, I still have an opinion. I like it a bit but I need to play it a few times to see if I can get my head round the Torsten Stenzel direction he was heading to with this album. As a famous line in another mike Oldfield album(the songs of distant earth) goes, "only time will tell".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tubular Beats
Tubular Beats by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 2013)