5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Amazing!!!!
"It Was Just Supposed to be a Summer Job*

Sadie White's summer job isn't going to be on the beach life-guarding or working at rental booths like most kids her age. With her single mother's increasing pregnancy and refusal to work, Sadie has to take over her mother's job as a domestic servant for one of the wealthy summer families on a nearby island...
Published on 18 Sep 2011 by KatyReadsToMuch:)

3.0 out of 5 stars TEENAGE ROMANCE
Published 19 months ago by L. Sims

3.0 out of 5 stars TEENAGE ROMANCE, 18 Sep 2012
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Breathe (Paperback)
Sadie white's life isn't like other girls her age. Sadie's mother Jessica is the child in their relationship, she is irresponsible with men and their finances. Putting the running of the home squarely on Sadie's shoulders. Jessica is pregnant via her latest loser boyfriend. He isn't going to be around to help in any way with the new baby. As school had now finished for the summer, true to form Jessica who had a position as a domestic, for a rich family on the island. Expected Sadie to take over her job.

Sadie's arrival at her Mother's job is not taken well, she is given a days trial to see how she performs, or she's out. What these people do not realise is that Sadie is used to cleaning and cooking, as her mother leaves all that to her. When the family arrive Sadie is astonished to discover that the owner of the house is Jax Stone worldwide teen heartthrob. When they come face to face Jax is taken aback by Sadie's beauty. While Sadie realises that Jax is not the spoilt star, she was expecting. It does initially make her uneasy, when he shows his preference for her company.

While I did enjoy this, I was not totally convinced by the relationship between Jax and Sadie. They seemed to be in love too quickly. I also thought that their conversations did not seem to be the way that teenagers would speak to one another. I realise that the author had taken great pains to explain that neither one of them had a typical upbringing. But that didn't seem to cover their quite unrealistic interactions. I really liked Sadie's character she was stoic and loyal. I did have reservations about Jax, he claimed to love Sadie but right at the start he told her it was only going to be a summer fling between them. Especially as he was aware that Sadie had not lived a normal life of a carefree teenager, he must have known that he would hurt her deeply. So no I was not too happy with him. If he knew that Sadie could mean nothing to him when he summer vacation was over he should have left her alone. Still as it turned out he hurt himself just as much as he hurt Sadie.

This is one of Abbi Gline's earlier works maybe her debut, so the writing isn't as flowing and polished as her later stories. The plot is very predictable. But I did quite enjoy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but a bit too melodramtic., 21 April 2012
This review is from: Breathe (Kindle Edition)
In a nutshell, Sadie White is a teenager struggling to deal with a childish, heavily pregnant mother. She ends up having to go to her mother's work place to take over her job, as her irresponsible mother can't be bothered to do it herself. The home she goes to just happens to be the summer abode of the "hottest, most famous teen idol in the world'. They meet, and it's love at first sight. Various dilemmas ensue.

This book was ok. Not brilliant, just ok. I say that for a variety of reasons, but primaily because I found alot of the language/conversation between Sadie and Jax, the superstar teen idol, to be unrealistic and stilted, with a lack of realistic flow (as well as content. They say an awful lot of hugely melodramtic things about each other. It's just a little bit jarring, and unbeliievable). There wasn't very many contractions in their speech with each other, making them seem like formal adults (lack of 'I'm", "wouldn't", would've" etc. Mostly it's - "I am", I would not", "that is not so", and so on. Which I feel adds to to the lack of realistic conversational flow. Who speaks like that?)

The other aspect which made the book just ok for me was the relationshop between the two main characters, which I don't think anyone could relate to because the things they say to each other and how they act towards one another is just a bit too over the top and filled with melodrama that has no real basis in real life relationships (even though of course Jax is a super famous idol. What I mean is that no one really speak like that to each other, only little kids). There is a lot of mention (from the "great, beautiful, amazing" Sadie herself as well) of how mature and grown up Sadie is. How beautiful she is, how desirable she is etc. She just comes across as this impossibly beautiful, amazing, intelligent girl who, again, isn't very realistic as a character. Professing her love for a guy she's known all of five seconds doesn't really cut it either. It all happened a bit too fast I think and had the author not had their 'love' so rushed, with maybe more time spent between 'suspense-filled' moments etc, it could've come off a lot better and believable. As it is, it's just a really big pieve of over the top, unrealistic, melodramtic and kind of weird fanfiction (and I've read better free fanfiction on fanfiction.com).

All in all, I guess I just couldn't relate to any of the story, which is why I didn't enjoy it very much. I guess if you are a younger teenage you can enjoy it, but if you're an adult it's probably not going to be so great.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Amazing!!!!, 18 Sep 2011
This review is from: Breathe (Kindle Edition)
"It Was Just Supposed to be a Summer Job*

When the family arrives at their summer getaway, Sadie is surprised to learn that the owner of the house is Jax Stone, one of the hottest teen rockers in the world. If Sadie hadn't spent her life raising her mother and taking care of the house she might have been normal enough to be excited about working for a rock star.
Even though Sadie isn't impressed by Jax's fame, he is drawn to her. Everything about Sadie fascinates Jax but he fights his attraction. Relationship's never work in his world and as badly as he wants Sadie, he believes she deserves more. By the end of the summer, Jax discovers he can't breathe without Sadie.

This Book is One Of My Favourite's of ALL time now , It is so amazing , You have to get it! Now! I Stayed up till 3.00am Finishing It , It Was That Good! The Scenes Are Amazing and It Is Beautifully Written , Abbi Glines Is now one of my Favourite Authors! Read It! Seriously Y'all ,Reaaaad It! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Sea Breeze book 1, 19 April 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Paperback)
Sadie doesn't have the luxury of spending the holiday's having fun with her friends, she's far too busy holding down a full time job to support her heavily pregnant mother. The last thing she wants, or needs, is a summer fling, especially not with the famous teenage rock star who owns the mansion it is her job to clean. Jax spends every summer with his family in Sea Breeze as a way to wind down after a busy year of touring. He just wants a place where he can forget about his fame and have fun being a regular guy. Sadie is the first girl he's met that doesn't throw herself at him and that just makes her all the more intriguing. The more time he spends with her the more he realises that she spends her entire life looking after others and he wants to be the one to look after her for a change. Even if he can persuade her to give him a chance will his fame get in the way of a lasting relationship.

I have to admit I was confused when Simon & Schuster published the 2nd, 3rd & 4th books (Because of Low, While it Lasts & Just for Now) in this series before the first one. I hate reading a series out of order but I had ended up reading books 2 & 3 before this one and as much as reading them in the wrong order distressed me I really enjoyed them. As it turns out there was a rights issue with Breathe that meant it couldn't be published sooner and because it was the first book she had written Abbi Glines chose to edit the story before S&S reissued it. So it's worth noting that this review is for the revised edition of the story and if you bought your version before August 2013 when it was published you may have read a different version.

Having read some of the other books in this series I was excited to come back and discover how it all began in Breathe. While I enjoyed the story and found it a very quick and easy read I have to say that I think it is the weakest book in the series (out of the ones I've read so far). I guess that is understandable since it was the author's first novel but even though she has added additional scenes I don't think this is up to the standards I've come to expect from Abbi Glines. I'm not trying to put people off reading it though because I did like it, I just didn't love it as much as I'd hoped to.

Sadie has a tough life, her mother is completely useless and leaves Sadie in charge of running the household, paying the bills and even making sure there is food on the table. Being heavily pregnant has made her even more useless than normal and she spends all her time complaining and expecting Sadie to wait on her hand and foot. I have to say there were more than a few occasions when I just wanted to shake some sense into her mother or kidnap Sadie and take her somewhere that she would have a chance at living like a normal teenager! Sadie had to grow up fast and that shows in the way she interacts with the people around her, she is an old soul and often doesn't act like most other teenagers.

There is no doubt that Jax is a hottie, he's also a rich, famous rock star so everything a girl could want in a lot of ways. He's also quite jaded and cynical because people are constantly trying to use him for his money or as a way to launch their own music careers. I have to say that even though the money would be nice I don't think I'd want to be famous. Meeting Sadie is an eye opener for him, although he is under constant pressure from his mother about his career he has never had as much responsibility as she does. The fact that she sees past his fame to the boy underneath is what appeals to him most, she isn't interested in his money or the things he could do for her, she just likes spending time with him.

I think the main thing that bothered me was how quickly their relationship developed, I would have loved more of a slow build to it and for them to have spent more time getting to know each other before the "I love you"s started. In spite of the fast pace they did have some really sweet moments and overall I enjoyed spending time with them. Sadie is a little too naive for my taste but it made sense that her character would be like that. I think what I enjoyed most was seeing Sadie find friendship and support from her co-workers, she's never really had anyone who looks out for her before so it was great to see her learn to trust others and accept the help they were offering.

Breathe is a really sweet romance and I already know that this series just gets stronger with every instalment so it's definitely one I'd be happy to recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Kindle Edition)
Really liked the characters, the story line was entertaining and liked the ending. was worth a read, adult scenes described fully

3.0 out of 5 stars A very strange mix of cinderella, Downton Abbey and a corny soap opera., 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Paperback)
This was a very strange mix of cinderella, Downton Abbey and a corny soap opera.
Some of the dialogue seemed very off; more than once I found myself thinking 'nobody would say that', or 'that wouldn't happen'. There was a whole set up with his mum and brother that was forgotten about and never mentioned again I can only assume it was there for padding.
The scenes between Jax and Sadie redeemed this and prevented a lower grade.

5.0 out of 5 stars breath, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this book didn't want it to end can't wait to get started on the next in the sea breeze series

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 stars, 4 Nov 2013
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Kindle Edition)
E everything that Abbi writes is just amazing...this is a very sweet,Cinderella story but told and written so well you can not stop falling in love with jax and Sadie xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Kindle Edition)
What a great read, loved reading about the characters. I like how each book is is linked. Can't wait for more in this series

3.0 out of 5 stars Breathe, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Breathe (Sea Breeze 1) (Kindle Edition)
Maybe I am too old for this book but I found this boring and predictable, not for me. Skipped loads and gave up, not one of her best.

ARRAY(0xaba19cc0)