5.0 out of 5 stars loved it !
I Purchased the book as freebie , it held me spell bound I highly recommend it and was sorry when the story ended
Published on 3 April 2012 by sandytck

1.0 out of 5 stars not a very good book.
Although it's undoubtedly a pretty gripping idea, this book was really poorly written. I knew what was coming at every turn, there was no satisfaction in finishing it. And despite it being a very simple plot (which in itself isn't necessarily a bad thing- though sadly in this case it made it tedious, boring, predictable) it was actually quite confusingly written.
Published 8 months ago by SilenceIs

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it !, 3 April 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 2 April 2012
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
What can I say? I got this while it was free, but having read it would happily have paid full price and more for it.

This story of a little girl called Emma, and her mothers determination not to give up till she finds her was beautiful. I read it in one day as I couldn't put it down and couldn't wait to find out what happened.
The characters are loveable, and Emma is adorable.

A beautiful, heart-wrenching story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, 8 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
This book held me entranced the whole way through! I started it at 4pm and didn't put it down until I finished it the same night!! Definitely recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finding Emma, 2 April 2013
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
This story was breathe taking...I have never cried so hard so I did with book...this book was a page turner from start to finish...the ending was great...what that family went through was a heartbreak...It showed how a family can cope, hope and get through the tragedy that they endured...The best I have read I a long time...:)

1.0 out of 5 stars not a very good book., 14 Jun. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
Like all the other reviewers I could not put the book down and thought maybe this was written with maybe a hint of truth here and there as though the author had experience of the subject.The writing was so good you could feel yourself being an onlooker to the events as they unfolded through out the story.I look forward to reading the sequel

3.0 out of 5 stars Finding Emma - Steena Holmes, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
Originally posted at Miss Inga Page.

I had heard a lot about Finding Emma before I picked it up. It was constantly floating around on my Amazon recommendations list, and so when it dropped in a Monthly Kindle Deal, I took the plunge. It took me a while to eventually pick the book up after that, because I started my Masters course, but when I couldn’t sleep one evening and was craving a mystery novel, I hoped that Finding Emma would be the answer.

Finding Emma is, in many ways, a family drama in which we see the unimaginable anguish that can destroy a family after a child goes missing. Whilst we watch Megan, the mother’s, grief, and the effect that the loss has had upon her family, we also see the concurrent relationship of a young girl with her grandparents who have taken over custody after their daughter couldn’t care for her any longer. As these two stories unfold and intersect, secrets are revealed on both sides which could have dire consequences for everyone involved.

I thought that the characterisation in this novel was great. I really believed what Megan was going through, and her grief was palpable. I found the interactions with her husband both aggravating and totally credible. Whilst I found both partners infuriating at times, their behaviour was of little shock to me in the circumstances. They were both just trying to cope with their own guilt and grief as well as the dissolution of their family following the events of that fateful summer. The feelings of her teenage daughters were also totally accurate, at least as far as I can imagine. The extent to which they felt sidelined by everything else going on in their parents’ lives, and then felt guilty for feeling that way, was so agonising to watch! The events that occur before the novel opens are more than enough to tear a family apart and the way that it was handled was both realistic and sensitive. And that’s without even beginning to think about Jack and Dottie – who repeatedly broke my heart.

Jack is the biggest sweetheart in the entire novel, and he made me cry like a baby. I won’t elaborate as to why, but it happens right at the very end of the novel. I was absolutely fine through the whole book, until the last page or so when I became a snivelling mess. Oops! His entire life is turned on its head by the end of the novel and I can’t even begin to think about how distressing everything must have been for him. Despite this, the amount he loves his granddaughter is so sweet, and I loved watching their relationship grow over the course of the narrative. As he says, “Grandpas were for building swing sets and picnic tables, for sneaking cookies behind Grandma’s back and giving good whisker rubs.” Their relationship was great, and balanced out some of Dottie’s behaviours and thought processes, which were understandable in the circumstances, but still fairly difficult to read.

My number one issue with this novel, however, despite the wonderful characters, lies with the plot. For me, it was just too predictable. The ending is set out from the very first page and I didn’t feel as though there were very many surprises. Some of the motivations, perhaps, were a minor shock, but they were explained early on in the novel and so I felt as though I had all of the pieces from the outset. It was just a matter of waiting for the author to pull them together, as I already had. Even more frustratingly, when that point finally did arrive, the novel ended. Just like that. There was no real explanation or aftermath. I suppose, that will come in the sequel, but I would have liked a BIT of a conclusion! For a novel that should, in theory, be plot driven, the strengths of this narrative (for me, at least) lay solely in the characterisation. Unfortunately, I’m not sure that was the right effect for this kind of text. Characterisation is crucial in any novel, and particularly one with the same events and issues as occur within the pages of this book! However, there was something missing as far as the drama of the narrative was concerned, and I think the fact that the entire resolution was laid out so early on is largely to blame.

In all, Finding Emma was fine. It was a nice escape from the reading I was supposed to be doing, and the plot moved along quickly enough, and with pleasant enough characters. There was just something missing. I own the sequel, Emma’s Secret and will probably read it eventually, but I haven’t felt any great desire to read it as of yet. Finding Emma had an interesting enough premise, but it was just so predictable. There was nothing I couldn’t see coming from before I even started the book, and I needed more from it to give it a higher rating. In my opinion, this is one to read if you are interested in the concept, but don’t expect it to be life-changing!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written, 8 April 2012
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
this book is beautifully written and will have you glued to the story from the start,if only all our missing children's stories were the same,very thought provoking,a moving story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Heart breaking but with a feel good ending!, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
Read this book in two days! If you have kids this will pull at your heart strings!! Easy reading, very cute!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Finding Emma (Kindle Edition)
Dreary, predictable, dull. This novel offered no twists, no drama, nothing. Rounded off nicely by the authors patronising notes. Felt some empathy with the two main male characters but the women were weak and hard to relate to. Will be avoiding anything else by this author.

Finding Emma