5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful
Published 18 months ago by John Foster

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost a complete waste of three hours
I've enjoyed quite a few European films lately but this isn't one of them. There are long, lingering scenes that add nothing but time to this film. They don't build atmosphere and they don't further the story.

Published 5 months ago by Satori Hugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Mar 2013
John Foster (Bournemouth, Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Absolutely terrific movie. The best serial killer film I have seen, although it is not really a 'serial killer' movie in the ordindary sense. It is utterly real and totally absorbing. No car chases, no exploding heads, slow and observational with a laid-back camera-eye, it is about how the ordinary-seeming guy next door becomes a killer. At times it feels like a fly-on-the-wall documentary and is non-judgemental. The film is also full of black humour and black irony. The director brilliantly plays the lead-part. A really great film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very slow cinema, 18 Dec 2013
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)
An extraordinary study of a man obsessed by the hurt inflicted on him by his failed marriage, of which we know almost as little at the end of the film as we did at the beginning. Our lack of knowledge about the main character (perhaps our lack of real understanding in the end about any Other) is encapsulated in countless shots of scenes half seen through partly opened doors and other devices that limit our vision. I watched the film with two friends who like good movies, one of whom goes happily to blockbusters, the other rather more discerning, and all three of us agreed that after the first hour or so (the film lasts 183 minutes) we were longing for it to end, but could not possibly have turned it off because we HAD to know why the hero was behaving as he was, what was actually going on, and what was going to happen. My blockbuster friend was relieved when it finished; my other friend found it too long, but agreed that it was cleverly made. I feel it is a masterpiece - realistic psychologically, an extraordinarily original narrative, and remarkably filmed. But it is very long (my 5 star rating is subjective).

5.0 out of 5 stars CINEMA, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)
If you feel that American mass productions reach the level where are not watchable anymore try this piece of quality European movie. Again this is not for everyone. Whether you are intellectually ready or not. Cristi Puyu is bringing you to another reality or to reality itself. Are you ready?

5.0 out of 5 stars A great movie for connoisseurs, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)
An excellent film in Michael Haneke style. Dark, gloomy and ominous. You do not know what's going on until the end.
One of my favorite movies!

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost a complete waste of three hours, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)

I don't object to films moving at a slow pace, but they do have to move. Take, for example, Niels Arden Oplev's excellent original "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". That often slows the pace down to build atmosphere and tension and it works very well indeed; way better than the Hollywood remake. Good European films seem to be able to do that much better than Hollywood.

Aurora, though, fails dismally in this respect. At nearly three hours of running time, I'd say this film contains at least 90 minutes of superfluous tosh that fails to add anything. Maybe it was the director's attempt to add atmosphere but it merely added boredom.

So, why two stars and not one?

Well, there is a story there. It's a grim, depressing one but it's there and if you can bear the three hours it takes to uncover the story there is something that can be taken from this film. If this film was cut down to about 90 minutes it would lose nothing and be all the better for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual pace which allows for some truly powerful moments that make you realize the weight of what is happening., 23 Oct 2013
Simon Foulkes (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)
The film relies on the patience of the viewer to be curious enough to try and work out what the main character is thinking and what his "story" really is.

It succeeds in doing this in my opinion but the film certainly isn't for everyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars the most boring film i've ever seen, 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a real fan of indie and world movies and had high hopes for this but it was the most boring film ever . I'm so glad I got it from the library rather than having to buy it . I gave up on it and turned it off.

1.0 out of 5 stars FFS, 12 Jan 2014
Marilyn Higham "Starry Towers" (Sunny Dechmont) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aurora [DVD] (DVD)
The Husband and I enjoy movies of all sorts, from spectacular showy Hollywood blockbusters making the most of our 60" screen, to quiet, deeper readers (subtitled) from all nations. We entered into Aurora on the grounds that we've got a good history with foreign movies, loving loads of them, also Amazon said 5 stars & Rotten Toms gives it 78%. But OMG! By the end of the movie, if you make it that far, you realise the only thing you thought you knew for sure could be happening and/or you just strongly suspected was happening, just did happen...ie he is extremely unhinged and the most boring killer in history, ever, ever, ever. If you manage to go so far as pass the tipping point of having to know for sure, which is a risk if you're a patient, tollerant and reasonable person, the end isn't worth the endurance and suffering. So much pointless nothingness and boredom, watching a man going about his long drawn-out unhingement. We found ourselves pleased to see anyone who had a conversation with him...but all too soon these people all failed us, proving to be as boring and dull as him, and gone again, we were back to watching the watcher. His lack of emotion rubbed off on us big time. He looks a lot, stares a bit, then his eyes dart off somewhere else to scrutinise a thing that isn't interesting at all, for a long while. He hovers, scuttling sideways like a crab, agitated but blank-faced. You know how you suspect there are people who are just watching all the time, cos they're dodgy people, up to no good, you don't actually see these people, cos you've got better things to do with your eyes and time, that's the kind of person he is. Some of these watchers just pinch the removable bits off your car in your drive while you sleep, or when that old sofa you throw out at the side of your house while you think about taking it to the tip the next day, but wake to find it gone...that's the way he is, always watching, always there, lurking and acting with no concern for other people. The surroundings are as grey as he is, the scenery drab, wet, muddy. The interior decor of the buildings upset me so much, the cheapness and poor workmanship...seriously, is Romania truly THAT ugly? The other characters are as drab as him and in all other aspects of this movie, there is no joy, nada. There was a first for us however, we took a ciggie break somewhere near the end, paused the DVD to go out for a smoke, we have NEVER done that before watching any DVD. Afterwards I had to persuade The Husband to sit back down to watch to the bitter end. All the way through I was wondering when someone, anyone, was going to start actually acting...didn't happen...they were all just there, at the end...I was sorry I was still there.

Aurora [DVD]
Aurora [DVD] by Cristi Puiu (DVD - 2013)
4.99