5.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustive testing reveals a winner....
Published 19 months ago by Audio

3.0 out of 5 stars thumping bass
This does have huge thumping bass which is amazing for its size but i found the overall sound dull and lacking sparkle. I also found the bass a bit overdone, drowning some of the midrange and a with no seperation, but i can see why bassheads would love it, its the type of bass you feel. Its a nice size and though weighty still a decent size to go mobile with. I didnt like...
Published 5 months ago by A. Ross

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhaustive testing reveals a winner...., 3 Jun 2013
This review is from: TDK T78920 A33 Wireless Weatherproof Bluetooth Speaker (Electronics)
If you are reading this it is likely that you have stumbled on this speaker and need a set of views on the product to compare it to the other devices that are available in the marketplace, all of which seemingly benefit from larger amounts of marketing than TDK.I have a real love of Bluetooth Speakers, as it seems a really good use of the technology and although it is not perfect for the audiophile, it is perfect for most listeners.My view is that most people are not audiophiles, but most do have the ability to recognise better sound - and it is on that basis that this review is based.
My reference points for this review are having owned all of the following products, numbers in brackets are the number I have had : Bose Soundlink V1 (2) & V2 (1), Jawbone Jambox (5), Jawbone BIG Jambox (2), Soundmatters Foxl v2.2 (Black and Platinum editions), Soundmatters Foxl v2.0, Philips SB7300, Monster Clarity Micro HD, Original Moster Clarity mini.

The reason I have had so many is that I keep on looking for more, by that I mean that I have become frustrated with devices over time, but recognise their individual strengths. To cut to the chase the A33 is the best sounding speaker I have tested, I suspect it is the size of the primary drivers, the fact that there is a separate active subwoofer, so that the centre speaker is able to handy the low registers without overpowering the mids and highs of the outer two, and a couple of passive radiators to make up for the small size and enable more air to be moved around. This device can get suitably loud, remains composed without too much distortion , and sounds very balanced, so as good as the Bose V2, which seems to be most peoples reference point. Perfect on Heavy tracks or subtle classical, and no background static. Good range for Bluetooth before it stutters

So which devices do I own today that will not be moved on?, the Foxl 2.2s and the A33. The Foxls for travel as I still think that the A33 is not something that you would travel with, better to move it about the house, and take something smaller with you. The A33 is a real bargain, and everyone that hears it is pretty amazed that it sounds so good, and that they have never heard of TDK producing speakers.

My likes:

Sound balance and power
Stability - it has to be volume way up to move
Weight : feels a quality device
Finish - very good for plastics but not too premium that it feels you need to be protective of it.
Features - good range of features, and all accesible from the attractive top panel, easy to clean
Good indicators for volume, mode etc. I like the use of LEDs, icons are large enough to see clearly which seems rare these days on consumer electronics
Regular shape - like a smooth housebrick, so it just makes it easy to place in most environments
The foot on the front to angle up the speaker - really does make a difference if the A33 is place on the back of a side unit against a wall, opening up the sound stage
Battery life - real world good - I charge mine once every three weeks or so using on odd days and more at weekends - it seems to retain charge well if left.
Minimal beeps and 'announcements' it is more discreet than turning on a Jambox ( albeit that these now have a silent mode) I have grown to really dislike gimmicks on speakers

My dislikes:

The Silver/gold disk on the front - just would look nicer without it.
The rubber cover - I wish this could be on the back as when it is plugged in it just looks a bit ugly whilst charging
The edges would feel nicer in black metal rather than plastic, but this is just being picky
The angle foot prop could probably do with a centre attachment along it length
The interior switch - confused me to start with as to why it was there, but good to be able to turn it totally off if needed when travelling.
Would like to be able to skip tracks on the speaker

People will moan that it cannot be charged over standard USB, but it is a small price to pay for an exceptional sounding device.
Why is it better than the others? - these are my top issues about the other speakers I have owned, but this is purely my view.

Philips SB7300 - Very mid range bias, irrelevant ( for most) motion control
Bose V1 - Muddy Bass dominates
Bose V2 - Nice sound but feels a bit too over-engineered, and price hard to justify vs others
Monster Clarity HD - I did like this, design is superb and love Aptx ability - but a little thin on bass, and irrelevant voice control and announcement drive you mad after a while
Jambox - nice Live audio but overall volumes way too low for other than smaller rooms, and very fragile ( USB port issues, Headphone socket issues) a real dust and cheese grater skin magnet!
Big Jambox - Live audio not the same as the smaller Jambox ( be warned), fragile enclosure, after a while the design element fades.

I recommend this speaker highly.Its a hidden gem, which deserves a bigger marketing budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Shock! Astonishing Bluetooth Speaker..., 4 July 2013
Leon Rodgers (Colchester, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having read the previous reviews I ordered this with some confidence (thanks "Audio") though I was a little apprehensive about paying the price since I was still convinced that the unit would fall short in some small way.

It arrived a couple of hours ago, I plugged it in, paired it with my Android phone, and dropped the first tune.

I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO CLOSE MY MOUTH SINCE!!!!

I won't repeat what others have already said, but I simply don't know where the sound is coming from in such a small 9 inch unit. But it's not just ample volume you get. There's treble detail here, underpinned by defined and tight, punchy bass, and the clarity is still there when you max it out. (Actually I needed to find a less smooth surface to mount it on as the power was moving it across the cabinet!)

I truly can't believe the quality of this little unit. It feels as robust as a house brick, the way things used to be built.

It's a shame, this speaker gets very little airplay in terms of reviews and general availability compared to others on the internet and it terrifies me that I could have easily bought something else. That would have been a grave mistake...

Check the reviews on the Amazon.com site also...
...and then buy it. The evidence is overwhelming. It's one of those un-regrettable purchases. At the time of writing you simply won't find better bluetooth speaker at this price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive portable speaker, 22 April 2013
oluv (Austria, Vienna) - See all my reviews
The smaller the speaker, the worse the sound. It's hard to find the perfect balance between portability and sound fullness. So far I would have claimed the Bose Soundlink to have found the sweet spot. Not much larger than a book, but still extremly powerful and bassheavy sound for the size. Unfortunately it comes at the cost of muffled treble and mids. The Bose just doesn't sound as clear as it could, sometimes the bass drowning everything else.
Here comes the TDK. It is even smaller than the Bose while similarly heavy, but the sound is much more coherent, while not that bass-heavy as the Bose. Especially at lower volumes the TDK could take a bit more of bass and with the help of a good EQ-app you can push it a little bit more (for Iphone I use Bongiovi DSP with BIG Jambox Hifi profile). Apart from that the TDK sounds clearer than the Bose. You don't have the impression as if the sound was muffled or dull which I often get from the Soundlink, especially if it is not aimed at you directly. The TDK can play really loud and it even sounds better at higher volume levels, with more powerful bass overall. At highest levels there is a hint of distortion and bass is cut away a little bit, but it still sounds pretty good and is even louder than the Soundlink, which instead applies some dynamic compression to avoid distortion.
My only negative complaint is the weak battery-life. At rather low levels I got 6.5-7 hours out of it. At higher levels you'll rather get about 2-3. With the Bose Soundlink I can squeeze more than 10 hours out of it, which usually should enough for a day at the pool. But in reality the TDK would be much better for this purpose as it is weatherproof and won't suffer if you touch the buttons with wet fingers, something I am always afraid of to do with the Soundlink.
The price could be even lower, in the US it costs about 150$ which is a real bargain, no idea why it has to be so expensive here! I strongly recommend this speaker for someone looking for a portable speaker that is quite small, robust and still sounds good. It is less than half the size of the Big Jambox, but sounds neraly comparable and it easily beats similar speakers like Logitech Wireless Boombox or Philips Fidelio P8/P9 which rather sound like kitchen radios directly compared.
With a stronger battery and lower price i would definitely give 6 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 20 April 2013
D. Turrell (UK) - See all my reviews
I have owned the TDK A33 for just over a week now and I must say that I've been hugely impressed by it.

The sound is clear, loud and full of definition - it can easily fill a large room with great sound.

The speaker reproduces lows, mids and highs perfectly and is even quite bassy. I think the bass is really impressive coming from such a small speaker.

I have found that the speaker lasts longer than the 6 hours quoted battery life - however, this is dependent upon how loud you have the volume and whether or not you are using Bluetooth or the AUX port.

TDK have made the speaker feel strong & durable - it weighs around 1.2kg and feels like it has been made to last.

All in all - I think this is an incredible speaker at a great price and you should definitely considering getting your hands on one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound., 11 Jan 2014
It is an excellent speaker however the battery could be better.
It is a NM battery. The battery usually does not last the quoted 6 hours at maximum volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 1 Oct 2013
Amazing clarity, far nicer and more balanced than one of the Bose systems (which are always chosen for their strong bass, but to me they have an engineered sound that is not to my liking). If you want natural sounding music, with detail and clarity, this is the unit for you.

Also, battery lasts for ages, Bluetooth rarely causes issues, it has a 3.5mm input, and it can really crank out (I still haven't used it at full volume as it is too loud!). It's been with me in the house, garden, on holiday by the pool and on the beach. It weighs a bit, but it is because of this that it oozes quality. Big sound, for a little unit. I'd highly recommend it, and if you get a deal (like I did) you can pay 1/3 of the price of a Bose Sound-Dock...

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 Aug 2013
does what it says on the tin, great bit of kit. feels substantial, bass is way better than you normally get from items like this,,. great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 21 Feb 2014
Execellant piece of kit, volume sound quality very good for it size battery life ok but have not got 6 hrs, 4 hrs is my average which is still good. The only problem I've had is the Bluetooth crashes and no sound until I switch it on and off for it to work again but over all happy with my purchase. Will contact amazon if it happens again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound, 17 Feb 2014
The sound quality is excellent great bass without distortion my only negative thing is that when using the battery for a while you can't have it full volume because it starts to cut out but you don't really need full volume as it is very loud half volume for its size ... So overal very pleased with my purchase

5.0 out of 5 stars very good!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 29 Dec 2013
N. zheng "arnold" (uk) - See all my reviews
5+++high quality and nice service, much better than other speakers and give me lots of surprise. really a good gift for me !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›