5.0 out of 5 stars A change, but not neccessarily for the better.
I bought this, express style, because my existing Devolo dLan 500 plug expired. No warning, it just didn't work one day. As I rely on the plug for various tasks, I HAD to replace it PDQ, and buying something compatible was the path of least resistance.

Published 22 months ago by A. Webb

2.0 out of 5 stars worst manuals I've seen in years
Published 25 days ago by Occasional reviewer

5.0 out of 5 stars A change, but not neccessarily for the better., 8 Feb 2013
A. Webb (Isle of Wight, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)

The good news is that this model has no trouble working with the earlier, non-wireless, dLan 500 plugs, it works instantly and very well. Plus, it has a wireless option, which has an on/off button, easily accessible on the front with the others. The status light are also very clear.

The bad news, depending on how your wall plugs are arranged, what is around them etc, is that Devolo have shifted the plug part of the unit from the top (where it was in the earlier model), to the bottom, and the Ethernet ports from the bottom to the top! Individual arrangements will be different form home to home, of course, but for me this meat rearranging where I used the plug in order for it physically fit. When the plug part was at the top, it was fine, now it's at the bottom, the bulk of the unit sticks up in the air. Also, whereas before the Ethernet cables were discretely hidden under the plug, they now sprout from the top like a telephone exchange. Not really an improvement.

EDIT: I've added a star because, since writing the above, I've found that Devolo in fact guarantee their products for a generous 3 years! Replacement of anything that fails is via retailer, in this case Amazon. I must say that as soon as I brought this to Amazon's attention, I was given an returns number (postage at their expense) and a replacement for my original plug was dispatched immediately. Excellent service. So now I have things back to normal, plus the new wireless enabled plug, which I can put to use in an area where wires coming out the top aren't such an issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I wnated !, 11 Nov 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
I had been thinking of running these around the house for a while. I have 120Mb broadband wired straight to the router but my Daughter and Wife use wireless and were always complaining about the lag when playing games on the internet. The router was upstairs and they were downstairs or elsewhere in the house. I initially purchased wired Develo 500 units locally to connect the wife's and the Daughters laptop and PC and they were very happy with the results The wife was getting the full 120Mb bandwidth directly below where I had plugged in the unit / router connection and the Daughter, 70Mb in the far corner of the house, so they were now getting no lag and a strong reliable signal.
I now wanted to put a unit in the lounge but wanted wireless and wired so purchased this unit. The 3 wired connections now feed my Sky HD box, PlayStation 3 and Home Theatre surround system and use the 5.0 GHz wireless purely for Wi-Fi connection to my mobile. The phone is running at 52Mpbs download and 12.2 Mbps upload which is pretty impressive compared to the Virgin Media Wireless. It is a bit more directional being so low to the ground when compared to the router but it is much faster when downloading apps etc. The wired connections stream music and films to the Home theatre when required and allow the PlayStation to run smoothly and download quickly. Sky Any Time also downloads quickly.
The units run fairly cool and so far have been reliable. I have not detected any RF interference (audible) and they sleep when not in use to keep running costs down. The other great thing is that you don't loose a socket outlet. The only slight issue is that they are quite wide and bulky so tend to obscure the power switch on some wall sockets. Another good point is that the outlets are at the top so if you have low mounted sockets you can easily make a connection. I would have preferred the connections at the bottom as it makes routing cables neater but one can't please everyone I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple to use & excellent wifi signal, 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
just recently got one to use - fully endorsed what the other reviewers wrote. Just plug and go! :-) forget isp address etc etc. It just toweringly overshadows my cheaper device in performance. You can unplug the terminal device and plug it where you want it when you want it. I think it's worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but question over package contents, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
Product works great but Ive had a bit of an argument with Amazon over what should be in the box. The box arrived sealed but inside there was no cable in the pre-formed space where it should have been. Amazon said one isnt included but on the box itself is a picture of the package contents that includes a cable, and the Amazon iphone app lists a cable as included. They've given me a credit to go buy one but I'd be interested if other buyers have had the same problem.
Other than that, plug and play, strong signal. Wifi extenders need to be positioned where there is already a signal but the devolo can sit in a dead zone. Only drawback is that you shift from one signal to another as you move out of range of your router signal but I think thats fairly minor. Note that this plug is also noticeably bigger than the non-wifi versions so check dimensions if you are tight for space.
Also think the price should come down to nearer the £60-70 mark. Seems pricey at £85 for one plug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. Reliable, powerful and simple., 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
Fantastic. Reliable, powerful and simple. Much better than cheaper simila alternatives. Even better than complicated routers, repeaters. Just plug and go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works flawlessly, 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
Bought the Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit together with 2 Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ units to set up a network with 3 new wireless access points. Installation was simple and without problems. The network has now been working flawlessly for 6 weeks without needing any intervention at all. I can only recommend these modules.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Powerline Network Set Up, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
Bought this and the wireless starter kit to get a network throughout the home / office and provide better wireless signals for tablets and smartphones, etc. Socket pass through is essential as i don't have enough plug sockets as it is. Out of the box, set up and working in minutes (remembered to note the socket wireless passwords before installing, useful as it wouldn't be easy to get at two of them after set up). Haven't tried the cockpit software yet because they just work. Also useful are the three network cable sockets on each of these units as i prefer to use a wired connection when i can. This combination does about all you could want for internet access at the moment (without cabling up the house!).

2.0 out of 5 stars worst manuals I've seen in years, 2 Dec 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
I bought 2 of these to extend my 3 or 4 year old dlan 200 kit. They seem to work fine, but I haven't a clue whether they are correctly set up etc, and here's why: it comes with a 64 page manual. Yes, 64 whole pages. Do devolo really think that in this plug'n'play day and age any of us really want to read 64 pages to work out how to set up something like this? I for one don't. I actually just want to plug it in, perhaps click a few buttons in a browser or software package under 'networks for dummies' level guidance, and then forget about them. I have tried several times to make myself read the extraordinarily tedious manual to ensure that my network is secure etc but lose the will to live every time. Here's an example;

"Before you can use the dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ in your dLAN network, first you haveto connect it to other dLAN AV devices as a home network. Two specific pieces of information are especially important for this:
Shared use of a dLAN password results in a delimited dLAN network.
Shared use of the dLAN password serves as access control to the dLAN network as well as the encryption, and thereby the interception protection, of the transmitted data."

Well, I'm sure that'll all make perfect sense once I commit to the two or three hours of background reading, but it's not in the least useful as a 'let's get you up and running' instruction.

Devolo need to stand back and realise that we only buy these things in order to get wireless in spots where the signal is weak. Most of us probably don't care what they look like or how they do what they do. We just want a secure home network. Distill the instructions into just what is essential and I'll give 5 stars. For now, it's 3.

ps. when I try to rename each plug so I know what's where, it says I can't because it might be in powersaving mode or something - not that the manual even mentions renaming, or how to unset powersaving. useless waste of paper. 2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good....Perfect Wifi 5*****, 22 Dec 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
I read some reviews before purchasing and reserved judgement as there were a few that weren't 100% happy. For me though the kit worked out of the box; plugged both units in, connected one end to router and the other end to TV, Humax PVR and laptop, entered the unit password and everything works perfectly. The WiFi also works perfectly for the 4 household mobile phones extending the household network to areas that were previously weak or unreliable. I can't comment on whether we actually get 500Mbps as I haven't checked but we are able to stream full-HD films into two separate rooms via two separate units at the same time without issue so we couldn't be happier.

Some reviews speak of the unit going into a hibernate state and needing rebooting but I haven't experienced that.

Only real gripe I might have is the price as they are really expensive bits of kit but I guess you get what you pay for; simplicity, speed of setup and doing what it says it will do...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works really well, would recommend., 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ (Accessory)
Works really well, would recommend.

Got two of these and the non-wireless one and got one wireless on the 2.4Ghz spectrum and the other on the 5Ghz spectrum. Note that the SSID between the two AP's needs to be the same. I run these two modes as not all my devices run at the higher frequency and have one servicing upstairs and one downstairs as I've turned wireless off my Virgin SuperHub.

I'd definitely go for these again, I can get about 12MBs through my old wiring reliably enough to stream HD MKV's and M2TS files to my tablets, phones, laptops, TV, XB1 etc,

Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+