5.0 out of 5 stars Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit
Published 22 months ago by CW

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised!
Like all powerline adapters they have great potential but often fall short.

This one claims to have gigabit Ethernet ports but with the obvious limit of 500Mbps. This I knew and was fine with. Unfortunately only the single port adapter has gigabit ports and the triple port adapter has 10/100 Mbps ports.

The main reason I got the adapter was because I...
Published 13 months ago by Gary Pearson

5.0 out of 5 stars Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
I recently bought a Smart TV and also have Sky On Demand so needed to place my router in my lounge, which is at the furthest end of the house to my home office. My house is old with solid brick walls, so the wireless signal from the router to my desk top computer and printer was poor and slow. I reasearched what was available and, although I felt this product was expensive, it included the performance and security features, as well as a few extras, I was looking for. The Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ starter kit comes with 2 Homeplug AV adapters with integrated sockets. The smaller adapter goes near the router and the larger one I use in my home office. The set up was simple and I quickly had it working. My signal strength instantly changed from poor to excellent. The larger adapter comes with 3 ethernet ports on the top, so you can connect ethernet cables directly into it if you wish. The integrated sockets are very useful if you're running short of power sockets (and who isn't). I plugged 4-gang extensions into both adapters and they work fine. With a bit more configuration you can change the SSID and password, I also set up the timer to switch off the wireless in my home office overnight. I was delighted with the result and it has worked really well for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised!, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Like all powerline adapters they have great potential but often fall short.

The main reason I got the adapter was because I thought the triple adapter had gigabit ports so that at least the 3 computers going directly to that adapter could talk to each other a bit faster. Even if I had gotten 200-300Mbps I would have been happy but stuck at 90Mbps is just too slow to transfer large amounts of data across.

Now I will have to buy a separate 4 port gigabit switch, should have done this in the first place and stuck with my old 200av kit.

There is just too much false advertising these days especially when it comes to technology.

What's the point in selling an adapter with 500Mbps when you limit the ports to 100Mbps. Stupid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but set up problems, 8 Dec 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Bought this from another retailer.

The product works superbly well - v wide wifi coverage and v fast hence 5 *.

However I did have set up problems and having researched on the web found out I am not alone. Following is a summary of the problem and fix incase you have the same.

I have an existing devolo network with dlan plugs. Added these new wifi ones and the network could not recognise them. I also kept getting a network key mismatch message when trying to enter the passwords printed on the devices.

The fix

Download the latest devolo lan cockpit software from their website (don't bother with the disc that comes with the devices)

Remove all existing devolo lan plugs from the network (if you have any)

Attach each one in turn directly to your pc with the supplied lan cable and use the cockpit software to "reset to factory setting"

When resetting the wifi extender one change its network key to one you will remember - you can do this via the devolo software

Once done attach the new router one from this kit to your router and plug into the wall

Then plug the other wifi extender in to the wall and enter the network key as required

This should fix everything - you can then go and add all of the other plugs if you have them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Devolo dLan AV Wireless Starter Kit, Actually Works, 10 April 2013
Martin Kaufman "Flap10" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Have upgraded my broadband to fibre and getting roughly 20-25mb speed, not great but better than previous 2mb.

Office broadband at front of the house upstairs and lounge at back downstairs so very slow, also Sky On Demand took forever to download through their wireless box and laptops also very slow, when Sky was downloading took all the band width so everything stopped downstairs, lots of moaning from the whole family, as I'm the IT guru (not) in our house I get it all.

Been looking at these types of products for a while, cheaper options, some wife extenders for £20 and other wireless power lines for roughly £60, all had mixed reviews. Plus I've learnt you get what you pay for!

Devolo seems to have mostly good reviews so took the plunge. Received today took out of the package, one connected to broadband is through a surge extension lead and one downstairs is in wall socket.

Found the devolo wireless connection straight away and connected tv, sky, laptops ipad, phones etc. All work well and getting same speed as upstairs now, 20mb.

So happy and more importantly, so easy.

Getting a cabin/office soon which will be a 100ft way from the house, so happy to know I can run my work broadband through a power line.

Thank you DEVOLO, a product that actually does what is is supposed to!!

Update: 11th May 2013

Had a few problems with signal dropping off and lots of red flashing so have had to run direct through the mains power rather than through an extension lead, noticed that the speed has increased straight away.

Cabin coming in a few weeks so will update to see how this works.

2.0 out of 5 stars not as advertised - by devolo not Amazon . . ., 30 April 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
As one or two people have noted elsewhere. Despite the "500" rating the LAN ports on the the wireless adapter end are only 100Mps connection. Not good for a so-called 500AV Starter Kit. Wireless seems quite good, getting 300 in same room, but I wanted gigabit from LAN ports for NAS and media and that's what the blurb says - AV 500. Deciding whether to heave back and try something else. And it's very expensive when you take that into account -Any 200 wireless gives 100Mbps on the access point

2.0 out of 5 stars Works well for a while, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Set up was easy, management SW is good - base unit (non WiFi module) overheats and shuts itself off.

If you are using this for web access you will probably never notice as the base unit resets when it cools down - if you are streaming media (Amazon Instant Video etc) to a couple of devices you are going to find it pretty annoying when your network drops out for 5 minutes every 30mins or so. Have trawled the Devolo forums and this seems to be a pretty common issue. Have not logged a support case yet so can't comment on Devolo's after sales support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for getting broadband around the house, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Whilst advertised as a wifi extender, the ports also make it ideal for getting wired broadband far away from your router. So easy, just plug into router with supplied cable, plug into plug on wall and do the same at other end - instant broadband somewhere else in house.

Worked straight from the box - perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blackspot in my house gone forever, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Works a treat, not sure about 500MB, generaly get 200-300 which is loads compared to what I had. Just plug the two units in a hey presto. I run a smart TV wireless to the remote unit and it streams HD TV no problem. Touch wood I won't need to touch them ever.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor Range, Easy Set-Up, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
Don't buy this if you think the range will be good. It's no more than 10-15m in free air (no walls, windows, etc). If one room in your home has poor connectivity though, this is a good product. I wanted to extend the range of my WiFi from house to garage - hopeless; needed to buy another adaptor to do that. It's expensive, too. Good set-up guide on Disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars This really is a great idea., 11 Aug 2014
This review is from: Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit (Accessory)
This really is a great idea.....it means I can have the wireless network in the room that I need it. I live in London with about 2 dozen wireless routers in close proximity....have tried switching channels and all sorts but nothing would fix the unreliable B+T wireless router....it would constantly drop....especially annoying when you are watching movies on your TV (using amazon downloads of course.....with free prime movies :-) ). Just plug in the boxes and easy peasy to setup. I also bought the 650 triple for my office as I wanted that to be hard wired....that too works without a problem so a very happer camper...supports 3 LAN cables too which is great for what I need. Speed achieved in practice I think depends on the quality of your mains wires in your house and other interference...top speed for me is 350MB/s.....slowest box was 90MB/s - yes that sounds slow but when you factor in that my broadband is limited to 40MB/s then not really losing anything....might be an issue if you were swapping files around the network but works well enough for me. Really wish I'd bought these sooner to be honest!

Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit