5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend 32GB WiFi SDHC with Canon 60D
I purchased this card to try the WiFi capabilities between the camera and my iPad and iPhone. My main purpose was to be able to review my pictures on a larger screen (iPad) and in some cases to be able to send quickly a picture with an email (that happens very rarely since I'm not a pro).
Published 17 months ago by Kostas

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to be helpful...
Published 11 months ago by Stefan

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend 32GB WiFi SDHC with Canon 60D, 15 Mar 2013
Before you purchase the item make sure that your camera is compatible with the card. You can do that on the manufacturer's site. The box comes with very clear installation instructions and even if you are not very tech savvy you will be able to install the card and the software needed to your mobile platform of choice. I installed the software on my iPad and my iPhone and connected the devices to the card as stated on the instructions. The software is very simple and gives you two basic choices. The first is a Basic File Browser where you see the files listed inside the SD card and decide what to do with them and the second is the one that I'll probably use the most - Shoot & View. You basically snap a photo and the photo wirelessly is transferred to the screen of your tablet or phone. There you can save the picture and manipulate it or you can snap another one and it will appear on the screen etc.
There are two things you have to know. The first is that you have to disable the auto sleep function on the camera. If the camera goes into power save mode then the connection is lost and you have to reconnect every time. The second thing is that if you shoot RAW make sure that you enable RAW together with JPG, otherwise nothing will appear on the app (just RAW is not supported).
Those are my first thoughts on the card since I have it for a little time and I need to test it more. I hope I can update the review later on. Generally happy with the purchase since my basic need for reviewing the picture on a larger screen is fulfilled.

3.0 out of 5 stars Trying to be helpful..., 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Transcend 16GB Wi-Fi SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (Personal Computers)
The Transcend Wi-Fi card whether it be the 16GB of the 32GB version was designed to give Wi-Fi compatibility to basically any digital camera/device that supports high capacity memory cards although there are a few exceptions so check the compatibly list here: http://uk.transcend-info.com/Products/Compatibility/?Modno=401 and make sure your camera/device is listed to avoid disappointment. If you are a Canon EOS user and your camera model supports the eye-fi card I suggest you buy an eye-fi card even though the Transcend Wi-Fi will work in your camera. The reason I recommend this option is because you can control the eye-fi card setting from the camera i.e. you can switch the Wi-Fi transmission off via the camera if necessary to conserve battery power and also using the menu, control what images are sent using the camera built in image protect, whereas only protected images are sent from the camera. In order for the Transcend card to be compatible over a broad range of cameras/devices it has to be totally independent in its operation from the camera/device and therefore Wi-Fi is always active on the Transcend card when the camera/device is powered on which will add drain to your camera/device battery. The eye-fi option only appears below the Canon EOS card format option in the menu when an eye-fi card is inserted it will not appear with a Transcend Wi-Fi card inserted although the Wi-Fi card will work as it does for normal digital cameras. You can download the firmware update tool from the Transcend manufactures website to update to the latest firmware version which is currently at time of posting v1.8 if you require support for camera RAW files and find that the card you purchased doesn't handle RAW files. The main problem as regards card loss of a Wi-Fi connection is often because camera users forget do disable their cameras auto power off feature. If the camera goes into sleep mode or powers off to save power then the Wi-Fi connection will fail. Large files take longer to transmit than smaller files a single 4mb image file might take approximately 3.91 seconds to transfer over under ideal conditions so bear this in mind and if your happy to share lower quality images snapshots you can take much smaller images which will transfer much more quickly. I hope this helps you decide what's best for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine with my Nikon P7700 and Nikon D3100, 27 Jan 2013
M. Morley "morleym" (UK) - See all my reviews
Initially tried the 4GB Eye-Fi card from Sandisk but the software was very buggy and it kept disconnecting from my iPhone 3GS. The Transcend card is much faster and stays connected to my P7700 whilst the camera is powered on. Provided the camera is not near a previousley known access point, it will reconnect automatically in direct transfer mode. My Nikon D3100 is listed as incompatible with this card but I have found that if I increase the photo review time to max the card works and remains connected. This may drain the battery a bit but it suits my way of using this card. Tried this on a Android tablet too and it works very well even automatically launching the app when Wi-Fi card is connected. My purpose for using this card is mainly away from home e.g. on vacation where I can send any or all photos I take immediately to my iPhone for sending to Facebook or other online service. Nikons own wi-fi adapter is almost three times the price of this 32GB card so it was a no brainer for me and of course you are not just restricted to Nikon cameras with this card.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well but seems to drain the device battery, 5 Feb 2013
Allows the use of large capacity SD cards with easy and fast Wi-Fi transfere between camera and devices. Very useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use and widely compatible., 18 Feb 2013
Works well, easy to use from a regular PC. This is so much easier to set up than EyeFi: it uses the standard web-browser based setup, with no need to install EyeFi's horrible Windows app on the PC. At the moment, the features are quite basic, but it's reliable, simple, and standard.

4.0 out of 5 stars HOW TO MAKE IT WORK FOR DSLR's, 26 Feb 2013
I just had one of these delivered today from Amazon, as I thought it was the answer to my prayers. Having recently bought a Kindle Fire HD, to hopefully cut down on the equipment needed whenever I travel, I also wanted the unit to be able to back-up some of the important images that I take on my Nikon D90 DSLR. Having experienced a rare SD card crash and losing many precious photographs,I am aware that the soft stuff does hit the fan sometimes and it can happen when least expected. Therefore, I now back-up to a laptop at the end of the shooting day.

The Kindle Fire HD has proved so far to be an amazing bit of kit, albeit being tied somewhat to the Amazon system. I have found that the Applications store is well stocked, at least for the items that I want to use. Serious game users may disagree. Even SKY + Extra is being developed and will soon be available.

Getting back to the Transcend 16 & 32GB Wi-Fi SD Cards - which are Class 10 by the way, and therefore super fast and capable of use with HD video clips - all information that I had read about the card, both by individuals and on the Transcend website, gave me confidence that the system would work. I checked the Transcend website for compatability with the Nikon D90 and was pleased to see that it was ok. I opted to pay the extra amount for the 32GB as I sometimes take video clips on the D90, which are well up to spec for adhoc, out-and-about record shots. For serious video work I would use a Panasonic camcorder.

Ok - here's the low down on how to make the Transcend Wi-Fi SD card work in the D90 and all other DSLR's I would suspect. Most purchasers probably would be using a compact digital camera and will have no trouble connecting, as long as the camera was listed on the Transcend website at [...]

For DSLR cameras it is a different matter and the following MUST be done - the instruction leaflet mentions that for a better user experience the automatic power off should be disabled - however, they fail to mention that the screen should be in LV (Live View) mode. I was on the point of contacting Amazon for a refund as I could not connect either from my Kindle Fire or my HTC Smartphone, when I decided to engage LV. Bingo - both the Kindle and the Smartphone could now see the Wi-Fi connection.

Please note that the instructions keep mentioning Wi-FiSD as the address, after setting up various addresses using all combinations, it was the following one that worked (in caps) WIFISD - you may have to stop the camera, take out and re-enter the SD card, hit the LV button again and also reboot the Transcend application. On the Smartphone it went in swiftly, but the Kindle took more work. The key factor is that Live View must be active and the camera is not in sleep mode.

I was toying whether I should rate this product as 3 or 4 stars, as the transfer in bulk option is not user friendly and even though I have two batteries in operation in the cameras Nikon grip, just transferring 3 test images sapped the life out of the batteries. For me this is not a problem as I will transfer images when back in the hotel room and close to a mains outlet socket. But for those serious photographers that like to back-up or use the Transcend's facility of getting instant viewing on a 7 or 10 inch tablet screen, they could be left stranded with flat batteries.

My 4-star rating is therefore given as at present there is no easy alternative - there is another way, but that involves using a Cloud-based system, rather than a direct transfer. The Transcend concept is brilliant, but the application (App) needs work to be done on it to make it more user friendly and with more facilities. There is no "Pro" version for instance and I for one would certainly upgrade to a paid App.

In summary, and until I test it in the field, my verdict is a very good attempt at filling a need, but with little thought and time spent in the Beta testing stage, using serious photographers, which would have highlighted the areas I have mentioned. Pricewise, it is a retrograde step for media cards as prices tumble weekly. However, this is an innovative bit of kit, breaking new ground and the extra cost is acceptable. This is certainly the way forward and will be adopted by many of the other media providers I am sure. Well done Transcend, you have gone up a lot in my estimation of quality.

UPDATE: BEWARE

I now own a Nikon D7100 DSLR, which has the facility of Wi-Fi download in camera. Therefore the Wi-Fi ability on this SD card was now not going to be used, however, I saw no reason why it could not be used as an ordinary 32Gb card for use on the camera. What I didn't realise was that whilst the camera is on, this SD Card is always actively trying to connect to a Wi-Fi point. Thus it was a major drain on the camera battery life - SO BEWARE, this card is a constant drain on battery life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi SDHC Memory Card, 28 July 2013
Eryl Parry (Pembrokeshire, Wales) - See all my reviews
As a memory card it is fine. The wi-fi software which you have to download as an app. is not the simplest to use but it works. I can now link my camera to an Android 'phone and tablet and also wirelessly to my PC. The transfer if files is reasonably fast. I would suggest however that this software is not for a beginner.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible transfer speeds, 16 April 2013
C. Ehlers - See all my reviews
I don't know what possible use this card could have... I was hoping to use it to view my pictures on my iPad after a day in the field, but with over two minutes to transfer a single picture from the card to my iPad this is close to unusable!

I make about 100-200 pictures during a normal day, so I'm looking at transfer times of about 3-6+ hours! Even if I'd just want to view the best 30 pictures I'd have taken during the day I'd be waiting about one hour to have these transfered.

For me at least this card is completely worthless and it'll go back to Amazon less than 24 hours after it arrived!

I tried to upgrade to the latest 1.6 firmware from 1.5. Using the windows tool it just wouldn't work, so finally I used the manual process which thankfully worked like a charm. Another funny think is that on the iPad app I used a password with an exclamation mark (!) but when I wanted to make some adjustments using a simple web browser it told me my password contained an illegal character.

In theory this card is a nice concept but until they can get the transfer rates reasonable it's nothing but that... a proof of concept. I'd expect an 11MB file to download in 15-20 seconds but not in over two minutes. If I'd be shooting RAW instead of JPEG it would probably take even longer...

So now I'll try either the SDCard reader or the Camera adapter for my iPad... sure it would be more elegant to do this wirelessly but I need something that actually works within reasonable parameters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and disappointing., 19 April 2013
Amazon Customer (Letchworth Garden City, UK) - See all my reviews
Having paid the extra for the Wi-Fi 32GB, I have been hugely disappointed with it's ability to sustain a connection to both my iPhone 4 and iPad. Updating the firmware, which was itself a hit and miss process taking over an hour and 3 attempts yielded no improvement in performance and reliability.

As a memory card itself, it works well enough with my Nikon D3200, however I have now paid out again to buy the Nikon Wi-Fi dongle and would urge readers to avoid paying the extra for the Wi-Fi on this card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs built-in WIFI?, 17 July 2013
You don't need built-in WIFI on your camera with one of these. I use this to send from my camera to my smart phone and it works really well. Set up is simple and straight forward, the phone app is nicely done and simple to use. I've used the Toshiba WIFI card and this works just as well - and it's cheaper! I've read reviews that say it's not reliable and difficult to use - my advice: follow the simple instructions and you can't go wrong!