4.0 out of 5 stars Repeats, repeats, repeats
I have now read all four books in the Star Carrier series, this one being the 4th. Great read, good characterisation and written with good pace.

Published 16 months ago by Abedo

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a short story
This is a short story, padded out with background material and a dreadful amount of repetition. By the time I had read through the padding I had lost my immersion.

Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Repeats, repeats, repeats, 20 May 2013

Only 4 stars though. Why? Well, I suspect that if you take out all the repeat narrative that the four books would condense to three. Ian Douglas seems to think that his readers have a memory retention span of of just an hour or so. All character history and explanations, earth history and explanations, alien history and explanations are repeated ad-infinitum, frequently several times in the same book, not just across books. I found myself skipping whole paragraphs, sometimes pages, to avoid re-reading what I'd read a few chapters ago. This gets really annoying.

Please Mr. Douglas, I think it's quite safe to assume that if you explained something a few chapters ago that the reader will remember, so repeating the narrative with such frequency isn't necessary.

1.0 out of 5 stars Just a short story, 18 Sep 2013

Though set in the far future, it's loaded with today's stereotypes, anti just about everyone outside the USA, and topped off with a dash of US patriotism for good measure. It really should have had a warning on the cover. `Unsuitable for non USA readers'

I did enjoy this authors work and I do love a good bit of Pulp Sci-Fi, but I feel Ian Douglas has scammed me with this novel.

I'll be passing on his output in future.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, excessive descriptive repetitions, 9 July 2013
I like this series of books, the previous books had quite a lot of historic detail. This book has the same historic detail but each event seems to be described more than once. The overall story and plot is good.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same but some new twists too, 27 May 2013
Dr. James OCallaghan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
The last three of these were good action, nice pacing and interesting ideas. This carries on in that direction; in fact there's a bit more action but character development is somewhat reduced as a result. The larger story arc is pushed forward but not as much as I'd like. If I was going to give one criticism, it does feel like some of the plot is being a bit recycled. Although it could be viewed as a natural progression but the new character introduced seems like a bit of a clone of a previous one (sorry for being cryptic I'm trying not to give any of the story away)

3.0 out of 5 stars it's not bad, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Deep Space (Star Carrier, Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
It's not bad but really it's just a scene setter for book 5 if your already a fan then half the book is a rehash of 1-3 & the other half sets up book 5

2.0 out of 5 stars One book too many, 23 Mar 2014
Robin Monks "robinm0" (Glossop, Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deep Space (Star Carrier, Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the first 3 books in the 'Star Carrier' series; mostly straight-forward space opera with the odd update from its forbears in the form of some thought about the technology. The characters were all a little cliched and one-dimensional, though. The third book wrapped up most of the plot-lines fairly well. That is where the series should have been left. In this sequel, the author begins to repeat himself almost from page 1; there is too much filler at the expense of moving the story along. The main protagonists continue to be under-written. Sorry, Mr Douglas, this is a lazy effort; I certainly won't bother with book 5...

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic future adventure in space. Wish I could be there!, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Deep Space (Star Carrier, Book 4) (Kindle Edition)
Great book, but takes a bit of getting into. You need to read the series in order to really make sense of it. Having said that it is a gripping read that is difficult at times to put down. I am thoroughly enjoying the series, and find myself looking for the next book as I come towards the end of the book I am reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Deep Space, 3 Feb 2014
I. Lodge "Barney" (UK) - See all my reviews
Not a bad story line and tolerably written. But do we need the endless repetitions of technical detail like how the interstellar drive works? Very tiresome and I am an engineer. Perhaps Douglas gets paid on the word count.

Same goes for the first three books in this series.

3.0 out of 5 stars USA navy in space, 7 Jan 2014
A better than average read but suffers from USA flag waving a little to much. Action moves at a reasonable pace and Plot is ok if a little predictable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deep space star carrier 4, 28 Oct 2013
Great read smashed through it in two days , good space battles with a bit of politics thrown in.
Felt the book could have been longer however I look forward to the next one

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Deep Space (Star Carrier, Book 4)