Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 19 January 2014
I really enjoyed this book - quite unusually for me, it had me chuckling out loud. The idea of time travel is taken in a fun way and applied to Robin Hood's times in a novel way. Well worth reading. I have recommended it to my husband and my 14 year old son as I think men will enjoy as well as ladies who get fed up with the same old thing - a refreshing cnhange
Erasmus Hobart and the Golden Arrow is a relatively short novel at 212 pages, but it is quite entertaining for all of them. Published through HarperCollins' Authonomy imprint, it is a delightful retelling of the Robin Hood legend through the eyes of a time-traveling history cum physics teacher. Erasmus Hobart is a young and well-meaning teacher, who has built his own time-travelling machine in a store room off his class room. In the hours after his pupils have gone home, Erasmus tinkers about with intricate calculations and the privy he remodelled into a time machine, all the while hiding what he does from the school's nosy head master. Inspired by the school play and some questions from his history pupils who he's teaching about Magna Carta, he travels back to the time of King Richard and King John to find out the truth behind the legend of Robin Hood.

What we get in Fish's tale is a funny, entertaining look at time travel and its consequences, because of course Erasmus' arrival in Sherwood Forest complicates matters and changes the Robin's legend forever. In fact, Fish emphasises that even if we don't interact, just our being there can change things. The characters are quite entertaining if a bit droll at times. I especially loved Maude, Erasmus' medieval love interest, or perhaps it's more correct to say he was her love interest. She was funny and capable and I love that she's the one who saves him every time he gets himself into a mess. A pair that made me laugh every time they made it on page were the two information brokers at the inn. Not only were they hilarious, but they had a very cool part in the story. Also, the inn made me think of the Snuggly Duckling, the inn from Tangled, which made me chuckle. Marian and Robin are definitely not the people we've come to know and love from the legend and I found especially Marian and her maidens refreshing. They can take care of themselves and are even more bad-ass than Robin and his Merry Men.

Erasmus Hobart and the Golden Arrow is the perfect read for a dreary weekend or on holiday. It's fun, it's quick, and most of all it's light-hearted. Yes, there are some ponderings of time travel problems, but these are secondary to the comedy aspect of the story. I look forward to seeing more of Erasmus' adventures in the future.

This book was provided for review by the publisher.
on 25 February 2013
An interesting scenario well worked through with good characterisation. Time travel stories often leave one saying 'yes, but what about...', so it was good to have such a good story that these concerns did not surface.

Looking forward to find our where/when Erasmus goes next
on 12 May 2014
This is an excellent premise for a story, not just your standard time-travel stuff, and is very well written. The characters are described well and you end up rooting for the main man Erasmus!! I would very much like to read more from this author and recommend this book wholeheartedly.
on 3 February 2014
Although I quite enjoyed reading this book about a time travelling teacher, its literary merits are somewhat limited. Having said that, the story flows fairly well but, at the end, I could not decide whether I had mistakenly downloaded a book aimed at a younger audience.
on 2 August 2014
You know it was really good. Sometimes could get a little exasperated with the main character but a good historical? fun read. Well worth a look!!!
on 23 December 2012
This was thoroughly entertaining and amusing, it can be slightly embarrassing when you laugh on the underground. Also found I really have to watch that I didn't miss my stop as the story and characters are so engaging. I really enjoyed the read and I'd really like some more please.
on 7 December 2013
Great book, intelligent and witty- jumps around a bit (like the titular character) but really very fun to read and well written.
on 17 January 2013
A mild mannered history teacher named Erasmus Hobart combines his love of history with his knowledge of quantum physics to build a time machine and travel back to discover the truth behind the Robin Hood legend.

Erasmus finds the legend is not all it's cracked up to be. Robin Hood is, if not quite a villain, not quite a hero either. Maid Marian leads her own band of women outlaws, and she and Robin are enemies.

Though Erasmus takes care to minimize the impact of his time-traveling on the course of history, he soon finds himself involved in the action. Actions bring consequences, with which Erasmus must deal as he tries to remain inconspicuous while evading the wrath of the offended knight Gisburne and the amorous attentions of the unwashed and earthy outlaw Maude.

It's a tale told with wit and style, and much good humor. I identified with the often hapless Erasmus as he stumbled from one predicament to another.