Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 30 August 2005
Lillith Davenport must marry again. She has settled upon a reliable gentleman and will sacrifice her independence for the future of her beloved nieces (one hopes they're worth it!)
Enter the "bad beautiful angel" determined to seduce her and his wayward nephew...
Set in regency England of course, this fine story sails along convincingly & touchingly, with charming charachters and the usual Chase wit - interjected where most welcome & least expected.
Lilith is a heroine who really IS sensible, looks after herself, doesn't sigh after the wicked hero, never makes foolish decisions and needs rescuing and altogether manages to be more convincing than any other creation. Even with all this sense & so little sensibility, she remains a refreshing & charming character whist he is just the opposite but so very debonair and beautifully repentant later.
Some similarities to Elizabeth Mansfield style of writing, but much better, and there are the ultimate comparisons to Georgette Heyer's of course...
kotori 2005
on 7 January 2013
This is the first Loretta Chase book I have read but it certainly won't be the last. I found the whole thing thoroughly engrossing. The hero, Julian, is charismatic and utterly cool and his relationship with his cousin adds a lot of humour. The only thing that spoiled it was the endless typos and a whole plethora of other mistakes. Ms Chase could do with giving her novel a thorough re-edit. It would be worth her time because the book is undoubtedly worth it.
on 28 February 2015
I have fairly recently discovered Regency Romance writers on Amazon and I have been sorting out the authors who I really like - Loretta Chase is there, because her stories are always witty, with lively dialogue and in many situations characters who may have some issues from their past [Lord of Scoundrels is a prime example] but often coupled with a partner who has a fairly ordinary upbringing, so there isn't a surfeit of anguish for the reader to deal with. I know Knaves' Wager is one of her earliest books but I so enjoyed it and I shall reread it regularly, I'm sure. The plot has been used before, but Ms Chase brings her own brand of humour to the characters, and I felt in this book the language of the time was entirely believable. The secondary romance [and especially the secondary heroine] were delightful. I found shades of Georgette Heyer here,in the best way, but the writing actually goes beyond that, because the main characters are in their late 20s/mid-30s, so their sexual awareness is evident and we are left with a feeling that their relationship in the bedroom will be hot without any scenes describing same!

A delightful book and well worth reading - fascinating to compare it with her later work
on 20 March 2014
Funny and entertaining Loved Cecily and looking forward to her cousins stories if possible. We'll done for light reading in quiet times
on 23 February 2014
My first Loretta Chase. I enjoyed this book. I think it was well executed, although nothing heavy or too deep.

It is wonderful to watch Lilith - she is so tightly-wound (like her hair!)by her own making, always having felt inadequate and undesired in her previous marriage.

Julian's reputation, never the best, still belied his true self. He is honourable, loyal, responsible and surprisingly, able to fall in love even though he thought he never could or wanted to.

I could understand Lilith's pain when she found out about the wager. I could understand the horror felt by Julian when he saw what he had done. However, it was heart-rending when Julian told Lilith the reason he left when they were at the inn.

The plot was not overdone, not silly and both characters that supported the book were equally endearing. I do like Cecily!
on 10 July 2013
I enjoyed reading this book very much. The dialogue was quite witty at times and the characters were well drawn. Will definitely put it in my favourites and enjoy reading it again.
on 8 September 2015
In most of my reviews of LC's books I've given five stars. This one did not quite pull me in as much as others have. I found it difficult to warm to the main characters because they had erected so many barriers around themselves that they seemed hardened and cynical. Eventually their romance develops charm but the most engaging character is the young, self-possessed niece.
on 10 February 2013
A light enjoyable romance with a plot that keeps you interested and is well paced. With characters who are plausible and engaging.
on 6 August 2013
I have read this book twice, some 6 months apart, and I enjoyed it both times. It isn't that it is a great work of literature, but it is well written and the author also has a good command of the historical context.

The characters are quite well drawn, with the principals achieving a pleasing degree of realism because they have a balance of human frailties and are neither all bad, nor all good. While the romance elements are fairly predictable, there are some interesting twists woven into the tale.