on 22 December 2015
This album went to number 2 in the US Album charts and was PRODIGYS crossover album. Its there Rock Album although its still a dance band. Its still there biggest album by far and albums after it became more dancey again. I never brought an PRODIGY again as i,m one of those ROCK fans they attracted on this album. I also brought MUSIC FOR THE JILTED GENERATION but thats it. This cd most me pennies from Zoverstocks so go get it to remind us all dance doesn,t have to about nightclubbing.
on 27 November 2014
I already have this album on tape, I spotted it at a great second hand price so bought it.
I love the album and its attitude, I also love the use of instruments and mixing, this is a great example of how it can work well. The whole thing brings together what was a new attitude and idea about mixing and overdubbing. Some of these songs only appeared fleetingly others lasted longer, its a case of the best did worst, Diesel Power was better than firestarter though I love them both, Smack My Bitch Up caused a bit of trouble in my house as my young son took to bouncing around to it and singing when his mother was around, but that is how infectious this album is.
Still great after all these years
on 11 August 2013
This album reminds me of why The Prodigy were once the kings of Dance Music. Each track is brilliantly constructed around the genres mentioned above, yet sounds totally unique and like no other track in that genre. However, I still prefer Liam's productions in their Oldskool Rave roots.
on 6 January 2013
i have always loved this album it is definitely their best ever.
should have been a 3 disc set with all of the original mixes.
maybe 4 discs with a dvd of the videos.
i suppose we'll have to wait for the 20th anniversary for more crabs!
Fat Of The Land: 15th Anniversary Expanded Edition
on 26 November 2004
This is the Prodigy at its best. The tracks are so well executed, and Keith and Maxim provide mouth-watering vocals. Liam Howlett is a genius, and the techno-rock beats he creates are fabulous.
The best tracks are definetly Firestarter, Smack My Bitch Up and Breathe.
Enjoy!!
on 6 February 2015
Love this album, always have, had it on CD, played it to death but on vinyl, it's even better!

Record player and speakers, cannot be beaten and this album is made for LOUD on vinyl - fill your boots and enjoy
VINE VOICEon 21 September 2003
You must know the story by now. The Prodigy began in the beginning of the 90s, and managed to make a considerable impression with cheesy rave tunes such as Everybody in the Place and Out of Space, that collated to form their first album: Experience. Returning in 94 with some sophistication, they brought out Music For the Jilted Generation, with more serious hardcore records such as No Good (Start the Dance) and One Love, as well as the genre-blending brilliance of Voodoo People. The album went straight to the top and was nominated for a Mercury Music Award. By 96/7 they returned with The Fat of the Land, their double-platinum album that marked a massive change in style.
So we pick up with the album. The style has been called everything from techno and rave through to dance-rock. What is actually there is a fusion of hip hop, hardcore, punk rock and trace elements of everything in between. The album explores so many different styles over the ten tracks it can't really be classified. So instead of trying to generalise, let's look at it track at a time.
Smack My B*tch Up- A deliberately controversial opener, and not just for its vocals, this is probably the only techno track they've ever done. Its minimalistic, tuneless and totally focused on rhythmn, which is enhanced by the vocals. The fact they used it as their third single shows that the Prodigy name could carve routes into the charts for otherwise unprofitable genres. Certainly, the only other successful record of its type I know of is 'We Have Explosive' by The Future Sound of London.
Breathe- From the haunting guitar opening to the chilling video, Breathe is probably the most gritty record they've done. There's nothing uplifting or happy about this record, but its all the better for its almost heavy metal-like atmosphere of gloom.
Diesel Power- Solid indusrial rap which I ignored at first, all repeated listening reveals that it's a good track after all. Another rythmn focused track that almost sounds as if it was intending for a film soundtrack.
Funky Sh*t- Probably the most famous thing about this track is that it played to the end credits of Event Horizon. Out of all the tracks on the album its the most underground. A strange mix of hip-hop rythmns and solid acid-rave sounds, it never really gels.
Serial Thrilla- One of the best tracks here, this is a solid rock record that would have been unexceptional had it been made by any other group. There's just enough synth in the background to give it that classic Prodigy feel.
Mindfields- A haunting, captivating track used on the Matrix soundtrack. A really stealthy track, its probably the most cerebral track on the album, and really hard to describe without resorting to hyperbole. Put it this way: its possibly the least brash and obvious track, yet one of the most listened to.
Narayan- I can't bring myself to like this track. I don't know why, but it just doesn't work. The piano, the vocals, it just all comes togethor to something that's no more than the sum of its parts.
Firestarter- Ah, the real star. The track the Prodigy will forever by remembered for, even if Breathe outsold it. Full of aggression, of expression and emotion, its a complex track with so much going on at once. A labour of love, and one that certainly paid off.
Climbatize- Of all the tracks on the album, this is probably the one that gets played the least, and has featured on least adverts and films. Its a really intelligent instrumental with a solid bassline that has more progression than the others, and a really good track, but one with too low a profile.
Fuel My Fire- A cover of the L7 track, this is where you really see how the Prodigy's music works. When they're covering someone else's music it sounds terrible. You realise, even more so than on Serial Thrilla, that the Prodigy's music is theirs, and if it was performed by anyone else, or if they do anyone elses music, it just doesn't have that Prodigy vibe.
on 30 April 2016
Review for 2 disc LP version.

I'm not going to review the music as there are enough reviews on here,

Having owed this album since it 1st came out & still loving it to this day I decided to go out & buy the 2 disc vinyl version of this album hoping that it would sound better & I'd be able to give this a 5 star review. I put the LP on dropped the needle & to be honest the album was sounding fantastic (as expected) until I got the end of "Side C" & the track Narayan.

The track suddenly stopped & the LP went into it's runout groove. At 1st I thought I was hearing things as I expected the song to stop abruptly at the end & Firestarter would start the next disc. I went back & checked no I wasn't hearing things the song had been cut. I flipped the LP over & started "Side D" & expected to hear Firestarter start, wrong again. Narayan was still playing from exactly the point it stopped (even though the track is listed as Firestarter) for 2 minutes before going into Firestarter. Having had the CD I was used Narayan being a full track so this caught me by surprise.

You can either view this as a total screw up & let it ruin your enjoyment of a great album or you can view it as an extended intro to Firestarter. It's added a different element to this album (for me)
on 7 March 2013
Some of the great prodigy tracks

but not all i must say. If you take away one element of the music it becomes reasonably average music, but it is those little bits, quirks in the music that make it unmistakably The Prodigy.

Buy it. Rave.
on 27 December 2012
I love Fat of the Land, such a brilliant album. I have bought this album so many times and every time i am silly enough to lend it out to someone, i never see it again, so this time no lending to peope. Came in time and in perfect condition