on 11 April 2013
I ordered this from Amazon on Thursday and it arrived the following Tuesday using super saver delivery. Thanks to Amazon for the quick delivery.
My first blue ray burner. Installed and running in about 10 mins. Windows 8 recognizes it without a problem. Loaded up Nero Burning Rom version 9. It detects the drive as a blue ray burner without any problems. Same file size issues apply as with DVD burning, if the files are smaller then 2GB can use ISO file system, if they are bigger then 2GB have to use the UDF file system. I had loads of video files from HD camcorder and was easily able to burn them onto 25GB BD-R disks from Digistor. It takes about 15-16mins to burn a 6x disk. The drive is very quite while burning at 6x. The pioneer actually says that I can burn the Digistor disks at 10x but I found that it struggled to do this successfully, it started at 10x (44950KB/s) and Nero reports it will take about 10 mins to burn the disk but about 25% into burning the remaining time jumped to 20 mins. This may not be the Pioneer's fault as both my hard drives are WD Green drives. So far I haven't had any coasters, 10 disk burnt so far. I have noticed that the drive burns a lot smoother if I first use Nero's image recorder to make an image file when I have to burn lots of small files i.e. photos or lots of very large files bigger than 4GB. So far I haven't tried to play any blue ray movies or 3D movies. I bought it primarily to archive my files
on 10 June 2013
Have used this to replace my factory fitted Sony DVD. I have written to CD / DVD 4.7 / DVD DL and BluRay, no problems encountered in any format.
on 16 May 2013
Was looking for a reasonably priced Blu Ray writer to back my existing Discs up as my young children still haven't grasped the concept that all circular things are not frisbees.

bought some single and double layer blanks through amazon and that was that this drive was easy to fit and even easier to use with the right writing software.

all together a very good product, I am extremely pleased with it, would recommend purchase to anyone.
on 10 June 2013
I bought this when constructing a new computer, and didn't realise, probably because I'm no computer expert, that it didn't have the software to play Blu Ray discs. £75 later I have the software and it works just great.
on 9 July 2013
I found that the unit was easy to install into the computer no drivers needed window 8 picked it up straight away and it work perfectly I have cut disks at very fast speeds and they have all turn out great no coasters so far after 100+ disks all in all a great product
on 15 January 2014
I bought this as I wanted to move up from my existing DVD Re-Writer to using BluRay discs for data back ups. I've always bought Pioneer for disc writers so had no hesitation on the brand. Drive was recognised and installed automatically by Windows Vista.

The writer has worked impeccably so far with burning done on DVD-R, DVD-RW, BD-RE and BD-R (LTH type) discs. I can't say one way or the other if it is quick or slow as that it wholly dependent on your system, disk types, program used etc, but it does the job on a par with any other drive I've used.

Buying a 'bare' drive might concern some people but, if you are replacing a drive, then you are simply re-using existing cables and mounting screws. In any case, those peripherals are inexpensive if this drive was an addition (rather than a replacement) to a system.

In terms of value this is a no-brainer. Yes, you could pay more but why do this when all you get as an extra is a probably old version of a BluRay playing program that you could pick up much cheaper on an auction site.

Bare is the way to go....in terms of drives, anyway.
on 9 September 2013
Drive arrived in good time.Upon unboxing was at first concerned that the wrong item had been sent as it had documentation for a HP Hard Drive but once unwrapped, realised it was the correct item.
Also noticed that there was no SATA cable included to connect it to a motherboard.I realise it never stated it was included in the item description but worth bearing in mind that an additional cable has to be purchased separately as some people may assume it comes with it.
Installation was straight forward and fitted in my Aerocool Syclone case with no problems unlike some who have mentioned issues in other reviews.
After installation, Windows recognised it immediately.I am running Windows 7 and in case you didn't know it does not natively support Blu Ray playback but I was able to download additional software to test playback which works perfectly.
So far I have burned 1 DVD and 1 Blu Ray.Both work perfectly in home cinema players.I purchased the TDK BD-R cake of 10 which seem to work well with this drive.I will update if any problems in future but so far very pleased.
on 23 October 2013
This is really bare - not even any little screws to attach the sliders (or brackets) in your case.
Not an issue for me, because I was replacing an existing burner - still working, but no BD capability. It took less than 5 minutes to pop the lid on my Antec 182 case, slide out the old unit, disconnect the cables, switch the sliders, insert the new unit, connect the cables, put the lid back on, and restart the machine. OK, I am used to building PCs, but it really was a piece of cake.

As a linux user, I wasn't worried about the absence of bundled software, either. k3b is fine, providing you have the right version of cdrecord, and use it as your burn program. Ubuntu (and derivative, e.g. mint) users should see this thread:i[...]

Using Verbatim 6x 25Gb, I am now looking at around 35 minutes for a write and verify - backing up photos from hard disk on a rather elderly Core2Duo (6750) system.
on 31 July 2014
Sony Bluray BD-R 25 Gb 6x Speed Inkjet printable Blu ray Discs Spindle x 25 pcsAs advertised it is a bare drive ; so one can't deduct points for any other shortcomings . The main problem with this product is the lack of clear instruction what you need to fit it . To be fair computers can be different . It may be useful to explain what I discovered . Although it is a new product ; it is much the same as sata drives that have been around for a few years . I wanted to add this as a second drive but is not clear what you need . I have a HP Tower pc about 3 years old . fairly buget . but I have added a Hd graphics card and monitor since . As it turns out the power cable to fit the Pioneer drive is tucked away in the the spare expansion bay . My brother fitted it and luckily had some suitable screws and a sata cable which is needed . Of course you could use this Pioneer 208 as a replacement drive in which case you could use existing cables and screws . Worth looking inside if you want this as second drive . Correctly fitted this Pioneer drive works faultlessly . Copying and burning speeds are probably just as much to do with the type of files you are burning rather than the equipment . I have used premium Panasonic blu ray discs they burnt multiple files of mixed jpegs pictures and some AVchd videos . I also purchased some Sony blurays from Japan with hardcoat . they worked faultlessly too . I feel that the data is more important than a small saving you might make on cheaper blurays . This drive has been used for several weeks ; so I Can't comment on its lasting ability but it seems to run very smoothly quite quiet . I don't intend to watch Blu ray films ; I have 4 dedicated players for that . but for archiving files it is great as you get 5 times as much as a DVD . Taking that into account £1.25 to £2 is not a lot to ask for the blanks . A 10 easy media software seems to meet all the requirements that I have at the moment . Pioneer could offer a bit more support with fitting instructions and Hp would not give me any technical advice as the computer was out of warranty . Hp did have some information on their website but do not show any goodwill to old customers
on 11 February 2013
I had a problem with this drive not recognising Bluray DL PiDATA (CMC DI6) dual layer discs. I phoned Pioneer UK for support and was told this was not a UK model and was not, therefore, supported. I discovered that the drive is meant to be supported by Pioneer Optical in Switzland who stated that they should be contacted before returning the drive. Two weeks later there was no response from Switzland. I sent an email to Pioneer Europe who actually did respond quickly sending me a list of compatible discs which included Bluray DL PiDATA (CMC DI6). By this time I had tested the Pi data discs on an LG writer and they all were OK. A few days later I received an email from a Pioneer engineer in Taiwan asking for more details and if I had tried other brands. Trying other brands at a reasonable price per disc means buying directly from Japan. The Verbatim discs purchased were about the same price for 20 for the drive. They are recognised although I haven't written to them yet. I am raising the stars to three as it does seem to be OK if you are lucky enough to find the correct brand of disc but remember that Pioneer's compatible media list is not reliable.
I also found the same as the previous reviewer that this does not fit correctly into the case.