4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but disappointing ending
Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by Suzanne Finnegan

3.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a better ending
I've been really lucky that in the past year I have come across quite a few series that I have absolutely loved and the Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver is right there at the top. Her world in which Love is considered a disease called Delira that can be "cured" has had me captivated from the very first page.

The story of Lena Holloway who was 95 days away from...
Published on 27 Jun. 2013 by Danielle @ What Danielle Did Next

3.0 out of 5 stars Deserves a better ending, 27 Jun. 2013

The story of Lena Holloway who was 95 days away from being cured and looking forward to it until she meets the mysterious and sweet Alex unfolds through Delirium, Pandaemonium and ends in Requiem.

The story picks up in the Wilds after Lena and Julian have escaped with the help of Lena's mom and the resistance and reunited with the thorny but brilliant Raven and Tack and the bombshell that Alex is alive has exploded squarely over Lena's head.

The one thing I felt this book was clearly lacking from the get-go was romance. The stomach clenching, butterfly inducing, stolen moments between our heroine and either of her love interests were sorely lacking. Alex for the majority of the book is distant and mean and Julian is like a sweet affable puppy you wince in anticipation of having his heart stomped on by Lena unintentional as it may be.

The real action takes place outside the love triangle as the resistance grows and the war on Love is taken to a new level by the Regulators who are determined to stomp it out by any brutal means necessary.

We also get to rejoin Hana's story as she prepares for marriage to Fred Hargrove, new mayor of Portland with a dark side to match Darth Vader.

We say goodbye to some loved characters and hello to some really interesting ones. The book as a whole is fantastic but the ending feels lacking...Perhaps it is my unwillingness to say goodbye to characters I have adored but it feels like a distinct lack of resolution that makes me long for a book four! The ending is hopeful and while it's clear our Heroine still has tough times ahead, you are left comforted in the knowledge that she is more than up to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read but disappointing ending, 27 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Requiem (Delirium Trilogy 3) (Delirium Series) (Kindle Edition)
Pandemonium ended on such a cliffhanger that the wait for Requiem was almost impossible. I would have liked to have it begin right where Pandemonium left off, when Alex makes an appearance, but no, it's a few days later so we've missed the initial reactions. But the tension is heavy between Alex, Lena and Julian. Though I don't think I can blame Alex for the way he feels.

I did feel really sorry for Julian though as I'd also become really fond of him in Pandemonium. Being who he is, going into the camp full of resistant strangers was hard enough without the added conflict. And Lena, is only ally, I feel blows hot and cold towards him.

This was a love triangle that had me all over the place. Usually, I find that I have a clear persuasion towards one of the guys, but both Alex and Julian stole my affections. I admit that I didn't completely love Delirium and Alex was my favourite thing about that book. The ending shocked and upset me and I fervently hoped that he'd be making a re-appearance in Pandemonium. But I, much like Lena, didn't expect to also fall for Julian.

There wasn't many romantic moments in this book but, given the environment, on the move in search of a permanent settlement, and being constantly on alert for being attacked, I wouldn't have expected too many stolen moments. Which I was glad off, because it meant I could enjoy reading without feeling too much apprehension for the guy who wasn't on the receiving end of Lena's affections.

This book has the added POV of Hana, which I honestly wasn't overjoyed about, feeling that I'd just want to keep getting back to Lena and where the action was. But I found myself really enjoying it. It was interesting to see the war from the other side, where she's paired with the cruel and antagonistic new mayor, and also to see how much influential people can get away with. Not only the resistance, but a lot of the cured's are going to suffer more than they are already, under his plans. The cure doesn't appear to have worked properly for Hana and she's aware that her fiancée is wrong and maybe even slightly crazy.

Unfortunately, disappointing is the first word to come to mind when I try to describe the ending of this book. In fact, it doesn't feel like an ending at all. More like it just cut off in the middle. So much left unanswered. Hana, the romance, the resistance, the war......we aren't given any clarity of how things turn out in any of these, just completely open ended, something I really don't like, but I felt it was taken to the extreme here.

As the final book in the series, and I completely enjoyed reading it, hence four stars, the ending was not in the least bit satisfying. An epilogue would have been needed or maybe a novella or something to tidy things up. I definitely feel things need to be tied up in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Requiem: Delirium Trilogy, 27 April 2013
Fantastic ending to the trilogy, this is one of my favourite books series. Four stars because I would have really liked a more definite ending, to me the series still feels unfinished almost.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeously written, 10 Aug. 2014
After reading Pandemonium which is the second instalment in the Delirium trilogy I had a new found respect for both Lena, and the series in general. This meant I also had high hopes for Requiem, and I prayed that the ending didn’t live up to the endless criticism I had seen on the internet.

The book was gorgeously written, and the characters were portrayed perfectly to the point where they did feel like real people and you could feel their emotion oozing out of the page and into your heart. All except Hana. This was my first out of only 2 problems with this book, because it was written with a dual perspective from both Lena and Hana’s POVs. A dual perspective worked well in Pandemonium with Lena’s “then” and “now”, and I loved Lena whereas I simply don’t like Hana. I feel bad for admitting it but even when things were getting tough for her I couldn’t relate and didn’t have the slightest twinge of sympathy. Instead I kept thinking “that’s Karma bitch”.

But now moving on to Requiem’s ending: it pains me to say this but I agree with the majority of the criticism towards it. It had a beautiful final chapter for a book, but a terrible final chapter for a series. There was no closure; you had to read between the lines just to see who lived through it! Never mind who Lena chose, and how people handled the devastating grief after a war (that you don’t even see conclude). I read an interview with Lauren Oliver where she says “I don’t believe in happy endings”, and while this is totally respectable, does it mean she couldn’t have one? No. Was it too much to ask for a pages worth of epilogue? No it wasn’t.

The lead up was perfect with just enough tension, and it didn’t drag on to a point where you were bored or dreaded an anti-climax. The climax was all it lived up to be, it just fell short. Literally. IT WAS TOO SHORT!

This is not the only reason Requiem doesn’t get 5 stars from me, because I cannot get over Hana being a frustrating (but necessary) character, nor a lack of ending.

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Shortchanged by the ending, 1 Feb. 2014
J Juckes "Hades2" (, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm going to point out straight away this is a spoiler free review.

I managed to read Pandemonium and Requiem very close together as I feel that you really do need to plough straight into the final book. I struggled to get into Pandemonium because I had left a huge gap between that one and the first book Delirium. I was not going to make this mistake again.

Where do I start......? I feel a bit sad and bereft, not from completing the series, but for well the ending. The story seems to go rather well and it's exciting but bam I'm hit with the end and it feels just like someone has pulled the rug from under me. So much more could have gone on. I was not finished and I feel like the door has been slammed in my face. This story was sailing into the four star review section until right at the end.

I have invested so much time in the characters and loved them and championed some of them. But I feel that they have been shortchanged. I actually feel quite aggrieved.

Other than that it was a really interesting series. Lena was a fantastic character, you could see her developing throughout the book. And the boys, well I loved Alex and Julian and I must admit I kept changing my mind who I liked the most, even though I think Alex sneaked back in first place. Great selection of characters. Loved the writing style but it's just the end, I think I'm going to be harping on about it for years to come.

Despite my grumblings I would love to check out more books by this author.

2.0 out of 5 stars I loved Pandemonium, but this is disappointing, 8 Jun. 2013
H. Whitehead (England) - See all my reviews
I should have learned not to read reviews of the books I didn't like by now. Unfortunately, I have not learned this and it usually results in a puzzled expression and squinty eyes as I attempt to fathom what I have missed. Lord knows I don't get it. There is so much wrong with this book. It has its good points, which are much the same as in Delirium and Pandemonium, but the glee, sobs and heart-wrenching angst that feature in other reviews seem to have passed me by entirely.

However, Lauren Oliver's unbelievable world-building talent does needs a mention. The society she has created in these books provides the foundation for the entire series, and there aren't many YA novels with a setting so believable and detailed as here. A lot of effort has gone into this and it shows. Genuinely, it's brilliant.

I just found Requiem a little... I don't know, gimmicky? The alternate chapter thing worked really well in Pandemonium; it was actually one of my favourite things about that book. Unfortunately that isn't a reason to force it into this one. Chapters alternate between Lena and Hana and it just doesn't work! Hana has barely been mentioned in the series since very early on, and there's no reason to feature her and her boring irrelevant life just to continue an alternating pattern trend. I didn't enjoy her chapters and didn't think she was really required at all.

Thinking about it, it was the characterisation on the whole that really let down this novel. They all seem kind of... flat. Clearly Alex is meant to be all aloof and mysterious, but he's just a cardboard cut-out of a Nothing character. Lena annoyed me quite a lot, which didn't help. She isn't fair to Julian at all, but apparently this is okay. He gave up everything for her, but all she can do is obsess over Alex for no apparent reason. I would genuinely like to shake her and, without getting on my high horse, it sends a terrible message to young girls about how to treat their boyfriends.

It is a lot more romance-orientated than the first two books, but that's understandable. It is the last book in a series about love, after all. Unfortunately there's not really anything to balance that out, despite the ongoing revolution. There's a lot of repetitive running from camp to camp and not actually doing a whole lot. Isn't that the prerogative of the second book in a series, usually?

Actually, that might have hit the nail on the head. Requiem feels like a second book. Aside from anything else, there's no ending! It just kind of... stops. Nothing is resolved. Without giving it away, there isn't a single sub-plot that is tied off. Genuinely, I actually had to go online and check there wasn't a final chapter on Lauren Oliver's website. I kept reaching for it to finish it, only to realise that, theoretically, I already had. This was the main point for me, I think. If you've reached the third book in a series, you've invested quite a bit of time. You at least deserve a proper ending.

I wanted and expected to like Requiem, but I just couldn't. There are too many faults with the structure, the plot and the characters. As I said above, the world-building is excellent but it just wasn't enough to save the book for me. Pandemonium was definitely the high part of the Delirium series, but unfortunately Requiem is the lowest - not ideal for a finale.

Regarding the series as a whole, I'm not sure what to tell you. If I based my recommendation on this book alone, I'd tell you to stay well clear. I'd like to recommend reading just the first two installments and stopping after Pandemonium, but that clearly doesn't make sense either. Alright then, my final conclusion is that it's definitely worth reading the first two for their own value, and then this one just to tie it off. Just don't expect a great deal from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mind-blowing end to this trilogy!, 9 April 2013
I loved Requiem! Yet again, Lauren Oliver had me gripped from the very beginning and I whizzed through this book in a matter of hours!

This time, we experience the chapters from both Hana and Lena. I enjoyed how the book went between the two and it was intriguing to see both sides of the revolution as it were. I also liked reading from Hana's perspective (having been cured) because it showed that actually, she was still herself, her mind hadn't been 'numbed' and she still had a rebellious streak. I guess I'd imagined that after the cure, people would almost be like zombies and not feel anything. Lauren Oliver challenged this perception by enabling us to see inside Hana's head.

In terms of Lena, her character grew on me again throughout this book. I admired her stronger character. This book features lots of action; there's rarely a dull moment. Alongside the action though, there is of course some romance, keeping it in line with Delirium and Pandemonium. The 'love triangle' was all the more apparent in this book, but I'm definitely pleased with how things ended (you'll have to read it to find out!!)

Unlike some other reviews I've read, I actually liked the ending. It was hopeful. No, it doesn't answer everyone's questions, but that's almost left down to the reader to fill in the gaps and imagine them in your own way! Yes, I probably would have liked an epilogue to explain more, but that's not really in keeping with dystopian novels. We never really get to know what the future society is like or if the characters all end up happy, and I think that Lauren Oliver had to keep this in mind.

I'm sure if you enjoyed the other two books, you will certainly be pleased with this one! A thrilling series and I'm sad it's now over...

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing finale, 29 Mar. 2013
After reading delirium and pandemonium, I had such high hopes for Requiem. I had been eagerly anticipating a closure the build up of the rebellion and all the unanswered questions from the first and second novels of the trilogy that had me hanging onto the edge of my seat, practically begging for Requiem to be released- yet I feel that this installment was lacking, and left me thinking 'oh, is this it?'
Of course I enjoyed reading Requiem, I was eager to see who Lena would choose, Alex or Julian? The one who taught her face, or the one who she herself taught? I was also happy to see that Hanna was once again involved, as I thought she has been dropped after the first book- however I do feel that the alternating chapters is one of the failures of this novel, as it limited the progress of the novel.
I felt it took much too long for the action to start, after months of waiting and two previous books of build up, it was disappointing that the rebellion itself lasted less than two chapters and focused on Lena and Hana rather than the war.
I also found the conclusion occurred much too fast, with questions being left unanswered, and not in a good 'cliff hanging' way.
Many new characters were brought in, yet not elaborated on, and no conclusion to them! My biggest disappointment, Raven, you will have to read the no though to understand- very disappointed in the lack of exaggeration and description surrounding that event.
I was left feeling disappointed and dissatisfied, this would be a bigger success as a saga of four books, allowing a conclusion to naturally coconut rather than be rushed and ruined.
I recommend this book to any fans of the previous two, yet I wouldn't be reading this again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone new to Lauren Oliver's books.
However I am a vet big fan of the rest of her work, this was an unexpected disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fitting end to a fascinating trilogy, 27 Mar. 2013
Jess (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Once again I seem to find myself at odds with the majority of reviewers on this book! I recently read Clockwork Princess, the final book in the Infernal Devices trilogy, which I was awaiting as impatiently as this final instalment of the Delirium trilogy, and actually what I disliked about that was that every single possible thread / storyline was tied up in a super neat bow. You were left with no room to breathe or imagine the future of the characters, their happy ending was all mapped out. Which seems to be what some people are disappointed didn't happen in this trilogy...

However, while I admit there could have been a bit more tying up of loose ends in this book, I actually think it was great, and much preferred the more open ending.

The thing is, dystopian fiction is reeeaallly hard to wrap up in a satisfying way. The opening book in these kind of trilogies will always be the best in my opinion; it's very hard to take that set-up and develop it across 3 books into a realistic ending. Look at Ally Condle's 'Matched' trilogy, Uglies quartet or even the Hunger Games. It's unrealistic to expect the resistance to completely overhaul the entire system in the final book. I did think to myself - 'How is she going to resolve this?' and I actually think it was done in the best way possible. Focus on the human relationships, on the difficulties of resisting, and of breaking free from oppression. It's not neat, it's not simple, and it doesn't happen overnight. I think Lauren Oliver captured that really well, whilst still remaining true to the love story that was the catalyst, and offering a sense of hope and momentum at the end. We don't know exactly what happened, but we get the sense the tide has turned, and the symbolic hole in the wall offers a glimpse of freedom. I loved that, and I love the dual narrative of Hana and Lena's story which added to this sense of spiralling towards a showdown. Hana's private battle and the way she fights back is understated and wonderful. The first book will always be my favourite, but I think this was a great and appropriate ending to a wonderful trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Addictive., 24 Mar. 2013
This is my first amazon review, so I hope it's useful to someone! :P

I really enjoyed this trilogy which I discovered just in time not to have to wait ages for the final installment.
In this book there are 2 perspectives: Hana's and Lena's
I like this idea, but there were times I wished Hana's story had more depth and felt it was particularily repeatitive. I don't think it was as successful as the past and present style used in Book 2 but having the view back into Portland was interesting and it was good to see Hana back. I also feel that her situation wasn't ?tragic? enough to drive her to take the risks she did despite her curiosity and rebellious nature ... or atleast it wasn't stressed enough?
I don't want to give too much away, but this book leaves you wanting more, due to the ending lacking finality and being extremely fast paced compaired to the rest of the book - only a small number of pages. But I think this reflects the nature of the world that Lauren created and I believe there is certainly scope for more books within this world if she wanted to further explore it ^^,
I hope this doesn't sound too negative! I feel I can't explain everything I loved without giving too much away. I think the first book was thought provoking and certainly had me questioning reality for awhile simply via the idea these books are based on. The next two books are more just a story, which I feel you should enjoy rather then analysis. I feel it basically focuses on the transformation of Lena rather than overly questioning the society etc etc. A survival story with, as far as you're aware, warming aspects in it's conclusion.
... Poor Julian Though! hahaa.

READ IT! especially while it's at such a bargain price (;