on 7 May 2013
Sadly, this book is not a patch on Ms Chase's other titles. To be honest, I nearly gave up after the first couple of chapters. Fortunately, it picked up a bit after that - but still never achieved anything beyond the mediocre. I say this reluctantly because I have thoroughly enjoyed most of this writer's other books.
on 23 January 2015
I did manage to eventually finish this book but it was far too long. It could have been half the length and still told the same story with the predictable ending. To compare the author as the modern day Georgette Heyer is wide of the mark in my view and I wish American authors who try to emulate her style would do more research. For instance, there were no "sidewalks" in Regency England and there still aren't - they are called pavements! That may sound picky but I get irritated that every book about this era by American authors I have read are strewn with terminology or descriptions that are just not correct. Think I'll stick to reading Miss Heyer's books yet again, much more entertaining abd accurate.
on 14 January 2015
Although the heroine is likeable and the romance is clean, the hero is a dreadful sleep around who just sounds very immature and irresponsible.
He sleeps around even after he starts to have feelings for the heroine and at the same time has started to pursue the hand of another young woman. He's just too slimy!
At one point he even complains to himself that it's almost a month since he had sex, poor dear no doubt he fears his manhood will atrophy. Ugh, he's just really, really minging!

Romance writers so eager to create rakish 'heroes' who regularly visit prostitutes, should consider that is estimated that at that time in excess of 15% of the worlds population had syphilis and the sleep around ' hero' in this tale would very likely be amongst them, carelessly passing on his unpleasant disease to the heroine with the same lack of concern sadly many of the real rakes at the time showed.
Having said all the above I know some readers like sleep around rakes as heroes, but he completely put me off of an otherwise average book. However, I note the book is also littered with anachronisms and I got the free version, I wouldn't pay for it even if the hero wasn't nasty. A surplus of erroneous content gets frustrating after a while.
on 12 September 2015
I'm a fan of LC and have several of her books on my kindle. This one must be one of her first novels. The writing is rather less assured than more recent titles. The premise seems a bit stretched but an etching from the time shows a young woman at the stage coach terminus being approached by a 'madam' and surrounded by criminal characters! Rescue by a nobleman in these circumstances is a bit more of a stretch. However, LC is a good storyteller and willing suspension of disbelief engaged, the story develops quite charmingly - the hero is reformed by the entrepid young woman. A pleasant read on a dull day.
on 24 February 2013
The story started well but become so boring and predictable, it was a struggle to finish! I didn't like the naive and prim heroine, who was a contradiction without any excitement. I just kept thinking on other books that played this sort of story much better.
on 24 November 2010
I found this title on the Clean Romance group bookshelf. I don't really know if this author's other books are just as clean, but I found this one enjoyable. It's not quite as well written as Georgette Heyer, but the characters were amusing and the plot interesting. It was a nice, fluffy romance book. I'm going to see if I can find any other clean romances by Loretta Chase.
on 14 January 2013
I really like Loretta Chase, she's one of my favourite authors. I wouldnt say this this was one of her finest - not on a par with Lord of Scoundrels or even in the same genre really. It is much more like the old fashioned regencies of Georgette Heyer - more modern than that of course but along those lines. The humour is there of course. I enjoyed it a lot and can recommend it to you.
on 5 July 2015
Excellent storyline and well written - would recommend this writer whatever she does.
on 15 August 2015
Good Story, now want to read the rest of her books
on 4 January 2013
Loretta Chase is always a good read. I enjoy her wit and the story lines are excellent. It is a pity that not all of her books are available in ebooks.