Size: 23-inch|Style Name: 2 x HDMI VGA|Change

on 10 August 2013
Overall, this is a great monitor. Great image/colour, great for gaming (Xbox & PC), visually very pleasing and the Sound is great.

There was a few reasons I decided to go with this monitor:

- Lowest response time for an IPS panel (5ms) which "supposedly" makes a bit of difference for gaming - Less ghosting, less input lag.
- 60hz. I am primarily using this for Xbox and mid end PC gaming, so I would not see 'any'? difference with a 120hz TN monitor - Xbox is locked at 60hz and the games I play on PC are rarely capable of above 60fps.
- IPS has better colour than TN panels - Yay for good colour.
- The dual HDMI comes in great use for me - Have my laptop and Xbox hooked up at the same time.
- Looks very slick - Best looking monitor I could find?
- Good sound quality - Sound like any built in TV speakers as far as I can tell.
- It had good reviews - No reviews of dead pixels, bleeding etc. I'd rather spend that little bit extra to have everything working smoothly.
- Good size and resolution. Picture looks sharp - Wouldn't recommend going above 24" for 1920x1080.

The reason I haven't rated this 5 stars is for a hand full of little reasons:

- No button to instantly mute the volume.
- Touch buttons can be accidentally pressed.
- I think mine has a slight lean to the left which irritates me a bit.
- Straight from the package, I had great trouble adjusting the monitor. The adjustment stand seem to be stuck. There is a small white mark on the edge of the screen due to the struggle I had with it (Also might have caused the slight lean).
- When I was playing fifa I noticed ALLOT of ghosting. It was so obvious I don't even think you could label it as ghosting. There was a faint white mist behind players. This was completely fixed as far as I can see by turning the "Trace Free" option to 0. Not sure how that works.
- Monitor can't go very loud, have to put it quite high t listen comfortably.

Yeah that's pretty much it as far as I can remember. I doubt you will be disappointed when buying this!
55 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I've had this several months now and thought it better to write the review after the honeymoon period:)
This monitor has *very* good colour rendering, a better contrast ratio than lots of other models (that overstate the contrast ratio in marketing hype) and of course it looks very nice on a desk.
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to.
I purchased this at £274.96 around three years ago.
At today's price,(29/5/16) i'd just buy it and not be so picky about certain aspects.

What it does cope with really well is photographic material and high definition multimedia with small to moderate changes in horizontal panning.
Text is extremely clear and pin sharp in static images,display brightness is more than adequate and easy on the eye with far less eyestrain.

Another reviewer mentioned they get slight light bleed on this panel.
I can also confirm that on mine the bottom left (when displaying a black raster) does appear to allow more white led light through the lcd.
I'm of the opinion this is a panel seating issue getting past QC.

On the whole I'm happy with this when compared to other offerings at similar prices and find it suits well for everyday use.
The screen is far more readable for text than other monitors I've used at the same price,resolution and size.
It is also is nice to look at something designed in a way that is unobtrusive rather than the usual obligatory black plastic box.

PSU is rated at 64.98 watts,so I imagine this panels improved image quality/technology requires a little more power.
There is an Eco setting in the menu at the cost of performance,turning it on seems fine,if not better for the eyes at night when watching catch up tv online etc.

The Bang & Olufsen ICEpower internal amplifier and internal speakers are very much louder than any monitor I've had but the downside is they have less top end than I'd expected.
Distortion can be quite noticeable,when turned up.
Some of this is mechanical noise and introduced because such a slim enclosure couldn't be made resonant with the enclosed speaker drivers (This distortion isn't replicated through headphone out at all)

A couple of tiny tweeters either side of the front aluminium panel may have been a good idea,increasing vocal intelligibility and soundstage.
The resultant quality of the audio is adequate but a little like having water in your ears.
I decided to continue using a DAC.

What this monitor would not be suitable for is images that pan really fast.
By this I mean if you plan on using it when intensive action gaming, you will have problems as it simply cannot keep up with extremely fast horizontal movement in the video signal and you'll likely make mistakes if you are looking to use it solely for this purpose.
(Above 400 Pixel/sec LtoR pan,convergence suffers)

For everyday full HD multimedia use and games that are not intensively action based it is a very good buy.

Official Specs:

Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9
Panel Type : AH-IPS
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.311mm
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/'
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1 < *(+/- pinch of salt, as required)
Viewing Angle (CR'10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
33 comments|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2013
I purchased this screen because I fancied an upgrade from my previous 23" TN panel that i had been using for around 2 years previously. It did come with a European plug as someone has previously stated, so you can use a spare clover cable, EU to UK adapter or do what I did and rewire the existing lead to a UK plug.

-One of the main features I was looking for was an IPS/PLS panel on the new screen as some of my friends have the Samsung
Galaxy S3 (Highly Recommended) which has a beautiful picture on it! The colours on IPS panels just jump out at you, there is such a difference between this and a cheap TN screen. That's one of the primary reasons I chose this. I haven't seen any signs of ghosting on this except the tiniest amount when going quickly from red to green (Opposite on the spectrum) not a big enough point to sway my 5/5 decision

-The 1080p resolution is more than enough for me. I use this screen for both Xbox and light PC gaming, and the Xbox only outputs 1080p. 27 inches is a good size for any desk, although you definitely shouldn't be setting with your eyes inches from this thing. In terms of I/O on the back you have 2 x HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm input and output. For those of you looking to use a DVI connection the screen comes with a DVI to HDMI included.

-The speakers have a lot of promotion behind them and I must say they are impressive. I haven't looked into the technology, however I can tell you they manage to fill my room which I was stunned by. It doesn't sound anything like the tinny speakers that you'd expect to come free on a monitor. Sound levels are good too, I usually have it on around 70/100 as I find this a comfortable volume to listen at. Another handy addition is the 3.5mm jack out which outputs the sound from the HDMI that the screen receives. Very useful if your like me and game with a headset. It also has a 3.5mm input so you can either play music or a different sound source through the speakers.

-The design and appearance of this is something quite beautiful. It has a brushed aluminium finish to it which looks amazing plus an overall modern design. A ring base with the support for the screen at the back of it almost gives the impression the screen is floating! The touch sensitive buttons are for controlling the monitors functions suck as: Volume; Brightness; Input; Design Grid; Colour Scheme; Menu and On/Off - these add yet more class. The menu layout was confusing at first however I did get used to where everything was, plus the main reason I needed to go there (Input Switching) had it's own dedicated button anyway.

I love this screen hence the 5/5, don't hesitate to buy one yourself!
on 3 May 2014
I bought this monitor a year ago today. It's been nothing but fantastic. I spent about a week reading reviews of other monitors and finding out which is the best one suited for my needs and I eventually went with this one (even though it had only about 4 reviews at the time). My primary uses for this was actually gaming with my PS3, so I needed low latency. I also use it to watch lots of films and TV shows. It has excellent quality. Because it has it's own speakers and 2 HDMI ports it is perfectly suited to switch between the PS3 and my laptop or PC.

The finish on the product is also amazing, and I am considering buying a second one so I can have a dual screen setup. Would definitely recommend.
on 24 October 2014
Well I just have to say, this monitor is absolutely brilliant! IPS HD LED-Backlit, STUNNING is what I have to say! I'm a web designer so I work with Photoshop and Loads of other web apps and to be fair I had absolutely little set up to do to this monitor. I just selected the Scenery mode (Splendid) and WOW!!! I didn't have to make an adjustment at all!! I've been looking for a good quality monitor for quite some time now and wanted one that would not break the bank and this BEAUTY is amazing! Also the built in speakers are outstanding but to be honest I just plugged in to my desktop mini stereo and no worries. In truth you are buying this monitor for the AWESOME picture quality and price! The speakers are a bonus!!

FOR PC USERS IT COMES WITH ALL CABLES AS WELL AS HDMI CABLE!!

Just as a note for those of you that wish to hook up your MACBOOK Pro, I've ordered the mini hdmi cable for mac. Then you set the MAC to mirror mode. Once you close the MAC lid, the MAC goes into CLAMSHELL mode and VOILA, stunning images!!

Like I said it took me along time to find a monitor like this and at a great price. I'm a web and graphic designer and movie buff! So if you have the budget BUY this monitor!! I'm so glad I did!!

Ohh yes and most important! This monitor is packaged beautifully!! BUT THERE IS NOT A PROTECTIVE PLASTIC FILM ON THE SCREEN, ALTHOUGH IT LOOGS LIKE THERE IS!! SO DONT ATEMPT TO PEAL ANYTHING OGG THE SCREEN!! THE REST OF THE MONITOR HAS A PEEL AWAY FILM . BUT NOT THE MONITOR, EVEN THOUGH IT LOOKS LIKE IT!
YOU WILL SEE THIS IN THE INSTRUCTIONS THAT COME WITH THE PACKAGE!! Cheers!! Hope this review helps!
on 26 June 2013
I was sceptical about buying this monitor as it seemed perhaps a bit gimmicky to have such a narrow edge and stylish design, but I was pleasantly impressed.

The one negative point people have often sighted about this screen is that for a 27" screen it does not reach the higher resolution of 1440p, but that is precisely what I did not want, I previously owned a 27" screen at that higher resolution and it really wasn't for me, working with text a lot of the time it became a chore to read off of. However, this is the perfect size and resolution.

I used to work as an image editor so I have seen a fair few screens in my time and my opinion is that this comes pretty close to being the standard that a lot of the £600+ monitors would be, it is of course an IPS which gives you fantastic colour's and image quality, and the viewing angle is probably the best I have seen. For gaming I have read reports of ghosting or trailing becoming visible in certain circumstances bit I haven't noticed anything with games running up to 100fps. Also the monitor supports those low resolutions you will get when using something like dosbox, for anyone worried a bigger monitor might diminished their old school full screen gaming. I would recommend the scenery pre-set mode for image, I found this to have the levels most well balanced. In addition there is also a grid alignment mode which creates a screen overlay that you can move around and set to certain sizes, A4, envelope etc.. it's a really nice edition especially for things such as photoshop work.

Criticisms, yes the touch buttons are a little rubbish but it really doesn't matter, it would however have been nice for the option to wall mount, but I guess that would of caused a bigger design. The choice of not having a DVI is an odd one, but it does come with a DVI to HDMI cable so that isn't a biggie. There are also speakers which are nothing to write home about but it is nice that there is also an audio jack which is useful if you don't have a headphone port close to your disposal.

In all a very impressive monitor, and for the price it is an absolute steal, I can only assume it is so cheap due to not sporting a 1440p resolution and in that case it was win win for me. And it goes without saying it looks very nice sat on a desk.
on 25 January 2013
needed a quality monitor to go with my new 2012 mac mini and windows 8 old laptop and decided to go with this monitor based on its looks and specs. and wow this monitor is stunning to look at - every other monitor looks so dull in comparison.

pros:
-beautifully designed - in fact i think it is the best in the market, yes even better looking than a mac monitor but at a fraction of price. the bezel around the edge of the screen has to be seen to believed. sleek and beautiful.
-stunning screen - excellent advanced IPS screen with range of --vibrant colours and tempatures to suit ur needs.
-energy efficient
-range of inputs and outputs including 2 hdmi inputs
-excellent sound - of course external speakers are better sound wise and can be added if necessary, but the sound in the monitor here is still good enough to give a good rich sound and listen to music. so good ive decided to ditch my external speakers and keep my desk clutter free.
-lovely touch sensitive buttons
-takes up little space

cons
-not height adjustable

all in all, the best monitor you are likely to get under £250. worth every penny. way, way better looking both design wise and spec wise than the competition. Well done to the design team at Asus!
on 17 August 2015
I use this monitor for gaming, watching films, and college work. It's feature-rich, the picture is stunning; colours are vibrant and well balanced, and the image overall is sharp, the build quality is outstanding, the on-screen menu is simple to operate and offers plenty of customization, it's considerably thin, and comes very well packaged.

This monitor is well worth the price, you won't regret the purchase! Hit that buy button.
Just took delivery of this monitor today. Was very quick and easy to set-up; the power cord is comprised of a small ac adapter and power cord, and the cables are long enough to cater for far reaching plugs. Attaching the monitor to the bezel was also hassle and tool-free, requiring me to simply turn a screw (fingers can be used as it has a metal clasp) to secure the monitor and base together. A variety of plugs for different countries are included, as well as a HDMI to VGA cable and 3.5mm headphone jack cable.

There are lots of colour options and display settings to choose from. The monitor itself is built to a high finish and aesthetically pleasing. I have it connected to my 2015 Macbook, and it has scaled very well. Highly recommended if you are looking for an external display for your Macbook which has good colour reproduction and will look nice in your home study. 5/5
on 11 June 2013
I had to return my Samsung S27B550VS to Amazon because it developed a screen fault and lucky me they offered a full refund as they no longer had any in stock.

I was drawn to this as a replacement. The pics, specs and reviews all looked good, and I`m so glad I bought it as it is superior in every respect. No eye catching fancy software is included. But it did include every cable needed whereas with the Sammy I had to buy a separate DVi-HDMI cable.

The build quality is superb. The bezel is so thin (and not shiny) as to be almost non existent and when the screen is off it blurs into the screen like its a nice slab of black glass. The stand is chromed and has a good range of tilt. The viewing angle is great whilst with the Sammy I had to sit square on. It's light and puts out almost no heat.

The picture is great. with bright vibrant colours and deep blacks. The response time is adequate for gaming. Initially this was a concern because I was dropping from 2ms to 5ms but I haven't noticed any loss or difference in use.

As I`m connected audio wise to a cinema sound system I haven't tried the much lauded Dolby built in stuff but if it's as good as other reviewers state this again is a major plus for those wanting a do it all monitor.

This is a slightly more expensive monitor to others of the same size. Some £30 - £40 more but well worth it. I expect my monitors to last a few years and if this does it will be extremely good value.