4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, with minor niggles here and there
Overall, this is a great monitor. Great image/colour, great for gaming (Xbox & PC), visually very pleasing and the Sound is great.

There was a few reasons I decided to go with this monitor:

- Lowest response time for an IPS panel (5ms) which "supposedly" makes a bit of difference for gaming - Less ghosting, less input lag.
- 60hz. I am primarily...
Published 13 months ago by Jake

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but wasn't impressed
The screen looked and worked perfectly, but did not impress the way I hoped. I have Mac monitors, and though I wasn't expecting it to match them in terms of image quality and build, I thought it was a little far behind and had to return.
Published 4 months ago by Zeedel

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, with minor niggles here and there, 10 Aug 2013
This review is from: Asus MX239H 23" IPS HD LED-backlit LCD Monitor (80000000:1, 250 cd/m2, 1920 x 1080, 5ms, DVI/HDMI/VGA) (Accessory)

There was a few reasons I decided to go with this monitor:

- 60hz. I am primarily using this for Xbox and mid end PC gaming, so I would not see 'any'? difference with a 120hz TN monitor - Xbox is locked at 60hz and the games I play on PC are rarely capable of above 60fps.
- IPS has better colour than TN panels - Yay for good colour.
- The dual HDMI comes in great use for me - Have my laptop and Xbox hooked up at the same time.
- Looks very slick - Best looking monitor I could find?
- Good sound quality - Sound like any built in TV speakers as far as I can tell.
- It had good reviews - No reviews of dead pixels, bleeding etc. I'd rather spend that little bit extra to have everything working smoothly.
- Good size and resolution. Picture looks sharp - Wouldn't recommend going above 24" for 1920x1080.

The reason I haven't rated this 5 stars is for a hand full of little reasons:

- No button to instantly mute the volume.
- Touch buttons can be accidentally pressed.
- I think mine has a slight lean to the left which irritates me a bit.
- Straight from the package, I had great trouble adjusting the monitor. The adjustment stand seem to be stuck. There is a small white mark on the edge of the screen due to the struggle I had with it (Also might have caused the slight lean).
- When I was playing fifa I noticed ALLOT of ghosting. It was so obvious I don't even think you could label it as ghosting. There was a faint white mist behind players. This was completely fixed as far as I can see by turning the "Trace Free" option to 0. Not sure how that works.
- Monitor can't go very loud, have to put it quite high t listen comfortably.

Yeah that's pretty much it as far as I can remember. I doubt you will be disappointed when buying this!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful monitor that is a joy to look at, 25 Jan 2013
needed a quality monitor to go with my new 2012 mac mini and windows 8 old laptop and decided to go with this monitor based on its looks and specs. and wow this monitor is stunning to look at - every other monitor looks so dull in comparison.

pros:
-beautifully designed - in fact i think it is the best in the market, yes even better looking than a mac monitor but at a fraction of price. the bezel around the edge of the screen has to be seen to believed. sleek and beautiful.
-stunning screen - excellent advanced IPS screen with range of --vibrant colours and tempatures to suit ur needs.
-energy efficient
-range of inputs and outputs including 2 hdmi inputs
-excellent sound - of course external speakers are better sound wise and can be added if necessary, but the sound in the monitor here is still good enough to give a good rich sound and listen to music. so good ive decided to ditch my external speakers and keep my desk clutter free.
-lovely touch sensitive buttons
-takes up little space

cons
-not height adjustable

all in all, the best monitor you are likely to get under £250. worth every penny. way, way better looking both design wise and spec wise than the competition. Well done to the design team at Asus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 6 Jun 2013
The following content is from my small Facebook page, Techiebabble, that can be found at [...] and was typed out only by myself; I'm posting it here to save retyping something that essentially drives home the same points. I hope these helped you!

Hardware Review - ASUS MX239H

I'm just constantly in awe at this monitor - this is, however, my first experience with a 1080p PC monitor, and my first experience with an IPS monitor, so I may be slightly biased. I can honestly say, that 1080p on a PC monitor really does live up to all of the hullabaloo, as does AH-IPS. ASUS went above and beyond to give us a premium-grade monitor.

This monitor does have some light bleed, but only at the bottom, and minor; I noticed it, then I moved on, and it doesn't remotely affect its use - in some ways, the "bleed" actually looks kinda funky.

The touch sensitive buttons for the display are annoying, but within just 1 day of use, I've gotten fairly used to them; to be honest, this is often the case with a lot of monitors, so I wouldn't worry about it.

A lot of people seem to complain about the base of damn near every monitor - some people just need something to complain about, I think! - I'll just say that the ASUS MX239H has a sturdy and sleek base, of which was easy to assemble. For mine, there is a minor wobble if moved, but nothing catastrophic; it's not like I'm jumping up and down on my desk - a minor wobble is a very small and frankly unimportant price to pay for such a good piece o' kit.

The sound is as advertised: amazing. I have a very nice stereo system, hooked up to my PC, with rich bass and pretty decent fidelity, as well as being hooked up to a Beringer mixer, so I believe I'm judging fairly - the quality of the monitor's speakers far surpasses any other TV/monitor speakers that I've ever heard. Obviously, they're still monitor speakers, so don't expect full-on insane bass, but do expect great highs and lows, with some bass that I find impressive enough for monitor speakers. It is common for monitor - or even TV speakers - to have no recogniseable bass, with a horribly tinny and lifeless sound, but these, however, are not so.

It's obviously very important for any gamer, such as myself, to know whether this displays ghosting, and I found none of the other reviews on Amazon - where I purchased this monitor from - to sufficiently express just how much of an issue this isn't. First thing you'll want to do, is manually adjust the "Trace Free" to 0, NOT 100; at first, I put it to 100, which makes sense, since it's an option to be free of trace, but regardless, setting it to 0 will completely remove any horrible after-image. There is no image quality loss, as far as I could see, when lowering Trace Free - rest assured that games are beautiful, crisp, and free of ghosting.

I can confirm, for Windows 7, that I didn't have to install any software or change any settings, in order to get this to work. All I had to do, was just connected it up, restart my PC, and Windows then recognised it, in addition to automatically setting my resolution to 1080p!

This monitor is often blowing me away, with its delicious premium design, and incredible fidelity. The attention to detail really impresses me; one example of this, is when I turn on my XBOX 360, whether I'm on the PC or not, it'll automatically switch to the XBOX 360; it's the same the other way around, too!

Other than the unimportant and minor light-bleed, I cannot even remotely fault this monitor; does Techibabble recommend it? Absolutely!

THIS MAY ALSO HELP YOU:

The Search for a Perfect Monitor

It all started when I realised that my graphical progress was limited, thanks to this whole palava with DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, VGA, and the main fact that I had two VGA monitors. I had no interest in "Full-HD", "HD-Ready", nor any other silly marketing scheme; I just wanted to upgrade my GPU! It turned out that I eventually yielded, realising that I had to simply bite the bullet and purchase a new monitor before I could purchase a new GPU.

I looked through several monitors, with Amazon being my go-to site. My budget was somewhere around £200, but at the time I was more keen on not going over £150, because, quite frankly, I like my money! I noticed a number of things that forced me to research.

DVI - I knew it existed, because I already had my VGA converted into DVI, but what I didn't know, and soon ended up learning, is that there is more than one type of DVI! It turns out you can have DVI-I, DVI-D, and DVI-A, which confused me, but I did eventually manage to get my head around it all - things sure had changed since my VGA days. I'm still not overly knowledgeable on the matter, but I'm gradually picking up information as I go. The nut-shell, is that DVI-I is compatible with VGA (hence the aforementioned conversion) but DVI-I is not compatible with DVI-D.

I've since learned more about what can travel through various cables, for example: VGA can only carry none-digital video, DVI-I can carry analogue video and audio, DVI-D can carry only digital video as well as audio, and HDMI can also carry digital video and audio.

TN, and IPS, are two acronyms I had never heard of, until quite recently, after quite a bit of research. I learned that TN monitors are those with horrible image loss when looking at such a screen from an angle; I already had experienced this plenty, over the years. TN monitors have the advantage of being a faster display, commonly between 2ms and 5ms, making them a good choice for gamers. TN monitors are a lot cheaper to make and therefore a cheaper solution for those on a budget. IPS monitors are what I refer to as "premium monitors" because they deliver the utmost in visual quality, often associated with image editing, as they aim to deliver accurate colors and shades. IPS monitors unfortunately have a typically high response time, of which attributes to something often called "ghosting" - also referred to as "trails" or "motion blur" - however, there are some high-end IPS monitors, such as the one I recently purchased, that still have a good response time, making them a viable option for gamers. IPS monitors are likely becoming more common amongst gamers, due to the impeccable image fidelity.

Another somewhat random tidbit of information I learned, is that, contrary to what I previously thought, VGA is actually capable of upper-HD resolutions - in-fact, I'm told VGA can handle just about any resolution thrown at it, however, the quality will always be better with a modern HD interface.

Have you ever been puzzled by all the hullabaloo around contrast ratios? I know I was! I recently did some research, and discovered that contrast ratios are often, and I'll quote a professional: "Just a number". It seems that contrast ratios vary significantly between different manufacturers and so it's very different to compare one brand of monitor with another. I think, as a general rule of thumb, you should compare contrast ratios with monitors of the same brand and range. Manufacturers use different ways in which their contrast works, such as my current Samsung B2030 monitor has "Dynamic Contrast", whereas my soon-to-be-delivered IPS monitor has something called "ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio" or "ASCR" for short.

There are a few ways in which marketers use technology against us, in order to obtain a buck or two more than is necessary, and it's important, as the customer, to make sure you're aware of these ways! Hopefully, I have helped you guys better understand monitors, in order to be better armed for your next monitor purchase.

Best of luck to you all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Monitor, 19 Feb 2013
It is a beautiful product, exudes feeling of high quality even it's not switched on. The colour is so vibrant and uniform, the contrast is sharp. The response is fast when playing moderate games and Youtube clips. There is no dead pixel or light bleed what so ever. The built in speakers are more than adequate for Youtube stuff or general use, best in its class I will say. The whole experience is just exciting, as if I had bought a new computer.

On the down side, I am not a fan of the super sensitive touch controls, you can easily switch it off accidentally by touching the right lower corner.

All in all, well worth the money. I always have good faith in Asus, you will be not disappointed with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, good quality monitor although sound nothing special, 4 Jan 2014
Good looking monitor, tiny bezel and nice stand. The several buttons for adjusting picture quality, volume and so on are under the front. They're sort of touch sensitive and work fine once you get used to them.

Picture quality is pretty good. I was coming from another LED monitor and perhaps expected too much of an improvement in quality. Nothing wrong with the picture at all, it's just that to my untrained eye it's no better than the smaller LED monitor that it replaced. If you're going from non-LED LCD to LED, that is a night-and-day improvement.

I was quite attracted to this monitor by the quality of reasonable quality built-in speakers, which bear the Bang & Olufsen logo, but I have to say this was quite disappointing. I feel the quality is no better than any other tiny built-in speakers you'd find on a TV or monitor. Clear enough, just no bass and quite tinny. I wasn't really expecting much from the audio quality so I wasn't too disappointed to be honest.

Connections were another selling point for me. Two HDMI ports has allowed me to plug in my PlayStation 4 and Mac Mini, plus I have my headphones permanently plugged into the monitor's headphone jack around the back, so that's useful too.

All in all, a very smart monitor, perfectly fine picture, good connections at a reasonable price, but don't spring for it thinking you can save yourself some money on speakers at the same time if audio quality is a priority.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for a multi monitor setup, 14 Sep 2013
I am really loving this monitor, having replaced and old generation LCD TV with two of these IPS monitors they make a huge difference.

First off, being an IPS panel display, its colour reproduction is top notch after some fiddling around with the colour balance on the OSD (On screen display). The two monitors I got had a slight green colour cast, but was easily sorted within 10 mins, so no biggie.
Its also pretty bright, so I would recommend knocking the brightness down to about 50, as they default to 100.
I checked for backlight leakage too, but thankfully I didn't notice anything.

Viewing angles are good I guess, but the 178 degree viewing angle described on the box is optimistic I think, though they are better then my old TV.

Now, the reason I chose this monitor: Its "Frameless Design".
It has basically no bezel, with only a small black border running around the viewable screen which is nice.
I'm tempted to say that the black border is actually (deliberately) non functional panel area. I'm likely totally wrong, but it seems to me that this is the part that is usually covered up by a larger bezel like most monitors.
Despite this, I actually like the effect, as it makes it ideal for use in a two to three monitor setup, as there no annoying plastic bezel to distract you if you use these in a surround or dual screen environment.

Its a stunning looking monitor, with a nice stand that's easy to set up. It has a tilting design, so you can pitch the screen back and forward, but no height adjustment is on it unfortunately.

All in all I really like it and as a pair set up on my desk they do the job for me just fine.
Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teen bedroom work and play, 5 July 2013
My teen son loves this monitor.

Good points:
Screen is non-reflective so light from bedroom window does not distract.
Dual HDMI means his laptop and ps3 both plug into the monitor and it auto-detects the input.
Decent sound from speakers.

Minor points:
Perhaps the screen has too much anti-reflective coating???

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing monitor !, 16 July 2014
Excellent monitor. Would like to write down few pros and cons.

Pros

1) Excellent design. Very slim and looks really trendy.
2) Amazing picture quality. HD vidoes at 1080 are just superb with very comfortable viewing angles.
3) 2 HDMI ports. Makes it easy to connect multiple devices.
4) Touch buttons and not push buttons as in many old variants.
5) Consumes very less power (33W) and 1 W when in standby.
6) Excellent sound quality. Inbuilt ICE speakers do the job really really well.

Cons

1) The stand wobbles at times misaligning the horizontal position of the monitor.

I have been using this to watch movies/shows using my chromecast and it works like a treat ! Really happy with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 30 July 2014
I use a Macbook Pro 13" Retina Display and have it hooked up to this beauty and it works like an absolute dream. Would definitely recommend it if you were a gamer, photographer, musician, anything! The design is great and the screen quality is impeccable.
Environmentally friendly - automatically switches off instantly when it isn't receiving anything, and likewise, switches on when it does.
My only issue is, the full brightness doesn't seem greatly bright and also the buttons on the monitor are touch sense as opposed to external 'proper buttons' as it were, so the Off sensor is easy to catch with a wire or something. But that really isn't an issue!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen at a decent price, 16 Aug 2013
I was recommended this particular model from my local computer supplier as it did exactly what I wanted regarding photo and video editing. It gives a crisp clear picture to do everything. I have played a BluRay disc via the HDMI input at the back and feel that it gives a really good picture. I did consider buying the 27 inch model, but I'm glad that I stuck to the 23 inch as it is big enough to do what I wanted, and that a bigger screen would be too "in your face" in my personal opinion.