I've had this several months now and thought it better to write the review after the honeymoon period:)
This monitor has *very* good colour rendering, a better contrast ratio than lots of other models (that overstate the contrast ratio in marketing hype) and of course it looks very nice on a desk.
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to...
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for entertainment, not great for work
When I chose this monitor, I was looking for something that could double up as a monitor for working on during the day, and to use a second TV or Gaming screen at night. I also wanted a premium screen that was good for photo editing. I chose well for the entertainment side of things - its great for watching movies, TV and playing games. Its also great for viewing and...
Published 13 months ago by A. Shiell

4.0 out of 5 stars More vibrant colours than most 1080P displays at a similar cost - good for standard non-gaming use., 28 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus MX279H 27-inch Widescreen AH-IPS Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, 2x HDMI, VGA, 178 Degree Wide-view Angle, Asus SonicMaster Technology) (Personal Computers)
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to.

What it does cope with really well is photographic material and high definition multimedia with small to moderate changes in horizontal panning.
Text is extremely clear and pin sharp in static images,display brightness is more than adequate and easy on the eye with far less eyestrain.

Another reviewer mentioned they get slight light bleed on this panel.
I can also confirm that on mine the bottom left (when displaying a black raster) does appear to allow more white led light through the lcd.
I'm of the opinion this is a panel seating issue getting past QC.

On the whole I'm happy with this when compared to other offerings at similar prices and find it suits well for everyday use.
The screen is far more readable for text than other monitors I've used at the same price,resolution and size.
It is also is nice to look at something designed in a way that is unobtrusive rather than the usual obligatory black plastic box.

PSU is rated at 64.98 watts,so I imagine this panels improved image quality/technology requires a little more power.
There is an Eco setting in the menu at the cost of performance,turning it on seems fine,if not better for the eyes at night when watching catch up tv online etc.

The Bang & Olufsen ICEpower internal amplifier and internal speakers are very much louder than any monitor I've had but the downside is they have less top end than I'd expected.
Distortion can be quite noticeable,when turned up.
Some of this is mechanical noise and introduced because such a slim enclosure couldn't be made resonant with the enclosed speaker drivers (This distortion isn't replicated through headphone out at all)

A couple of tiny tweeters either side of the front aluminium panel may have been a good idea,increasing vocal intelligibility and soundstage.
The resultant quality of the audio is adequate but a little like having water in your ears.
I decided to continue using a DAC.

What this monitor would not be suitable for is images that pan really fast.
By this I mean if you plan on using it when intensive action gaming, you will have problems as it simply cannot keep up with extremely fast horizontal movement in the video signal and you'll likely make mistakes if you are looking to use it solely for this purpose.
(Above 400 Pixel/sec LtoR pan,convergence suffers)

For everyday full HD multimedia use and games that are not intensively action based it is a very good buy.

Official Specs:

Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9
Panel Type : AH-IPS
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.311mm
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1 < *(+/- pinch of salt, as required)
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant colour. Bright whites, deep blacks, 29 Mar 2013
Thomas Coote (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this screen because I fancied an upgrade from my previous 23" TN panel that i had been using for around 2 years previously. It did come with a European plug as someone has previously stated, so you can use a spare clover cable, EU to UK adapter or do what I did and rewire the existing lead to a UK plug.

-One of the main features I was looking for was an IPS/PLS panel on the new screen as some of my friends have the Samsung
Galaxy S3 (Highly Recommended) which has a beautiful picture on it! The colours on IPS panels just jump out at you, there is such a difference between this and a cheap TN screen. That's one of the primary reasons I chose this. I haven't seen any signs of ghosting on this except the tiniest amount when going quickly from red to green (Opposite on the spectrum) not a big enough point to sway my 5/5 decision

-The 1080p resolution is more than enough for me. I use this screen for both Xbox and light PC gaming, and the Xbox only outputs 1080p. 27 inches is a good size for any desk, although you definitely shouldn't be setting with your eyes inches from this thing. In terms of I/O on the back you have 2 x HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm input and output. For those of you looking to use a DVI connection the screen comes with a DVI to HDMI included.

-The speakers have a lot of promotion behind them and I must say they are impressive. I haven't looked into the technology, however I can tell you they manage to fill my room which I was stunned by. It doesn't sound anything like the tinny speakers that you'd expect to come free on a monitor. Sound levels are good too, I usually have it on around 70/100 as I find this a comfortable volume to listen at. Another handy addition is the 3.5mm jack out which outputs the sound from the HDMI that the screen receives. Very useful if your like me and game with a headset. It also has a 3.5mm input so you can either play music or a different sound source through the speakers.

-The design and appearance of this is something quite beautiful. It has a brushed aluminium finish to it which looks amazing plus an overall modern design. A ring base with the support for the screen at the back of it almost gives the impression the screen is floating! The touch sensitive buttons are for controlling the monitors functions suck as: Volume; Brightness; Input; Design Grid; Colour Scheme; Menu and On/Off - these add yet more class. The menu layout was confusing at first however I did get used to where everything was, plus the main reason I needed to go there (Input Switching) had it's own dedicated button anyway.

I love this screen hence the 5/5, don't hesitate to buy one yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor i have ever had, 27 July 2013
Where should i start? it is excellent monitor not only perfoms brilliantly with excellent colours and adjustments but also looks stylish.
Well worth the money paid for it. Although i have Bose computer speakers and didnt buy it for the bang and olufsen speakers built in i had to give them a try and they are excellent as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you need a new monitor right now!, 29 Aug 2014
I chose to buy this over other Asus models. In particular the 2k resolution 27" model also from Asus with a 60hz refresh rate, PB278Q.

The reason I chose this model in particular was for the IPS matte screen. Viewing angles are fantastic and the monitor has very accurate colour reproduction. I wouldn't really want to get a TN panel because of the poor viewing angles and weaker colour reproduction.

I'm using this monitor for my full purpose monitor - work, browsing the internet, media consumption and gaming too.

The display isn't that bright, but I it's fine because of the matte screen. I would have liked it to be a little brighter but this is better for your eyes in the long run!

Refresh rate is fast, very little ghosting so it's good for gaming. And it's perfect for watching videos and browsing the web, the large size makes it very productive for work too. The interface is very easy to use and has some great preset video functions, meaning you don't have to fiddle around with them at all.

It's actually not that large, the bezel is small and it is designed to feel smaller + be very stylish.
I use headphones, but the sound quality is really good from the monitor for those times when I don't want to, removing the need to purchase / have additional ones taking up space.

My only gripe with it is that it was shipped without an amazon box, and I bought it directly from amazon. The labels were just stuck on the original packaging, which was dented a little.

The reason I didn't purchase the other monitor was it would obligate me to buying more graphics power because I would play games at a higher resolution. And that monitor has been around for a while, so spending £450+ on a 2 year old 2k monitor with the same 60hz refresh rate wouldn't be worth it since 60hz 4k monitors are around the same price.

There should be some good gaming ones in a couple of years time when I'll possibly look to upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 11/10, 20 May 2014
If I had enough money I would buy 3 more of these to replace my 3 monitors on my PC setup in an instant!

I got mine today and I thought I would share my review on it, I don't usually do reviews by the way, so here it goes

If your looking for one for gaming, look no further, it is a great size for a large desk monitor and it beats all the TV's for gaming, and for a 27 inch Gaming Monitor to have 5ms, for the size that's good- especially when ms is one of the main things you are looking for in gaming as it can determine a few bullets between life and death. The contrast on the TV is brilliant and the colors come out very good as well, I use this for an Xbox One mainly, but also for my Xbox 360.

Now onto the other use, watching films, I hooked up my Blu-Ray player to the Monitor and I was very impressed, you can see every detail on the actors and when you watch an action movie the explosions look real and this is where the colors really come in to play, I only fiddled with this for one film (Casino Royale) and it was pretty cool imo.

I also hooked it up to my PC as well, even though I wasn't using it for PC I just wanted to see how well it looked with my GTX 780 and it was awesome, I didn't play around with this that much either,m but from what I saw I was happy!

The Features:

I feel like this Gaming Monitor has some really cool small features that give it the finishing touch:

Sound: The built in sound is very good, even though I have a speaker system for the TV, I would have no problem with the built-in sound if that was the only option, that gives it a + to anyone who needs to wait later for a sound system or doesn't want to have loud sounds like I do (I am a bit of a sound insomniac)

2x HDMI;s: I was surprised originally to see this on there, its not every day you come across an amazing monitor that has two (Yes '2') HDMI slots, this is great as I have a two way splitter going into one, so I can switch from 360 to xbox one and the other HDMI slot goes into the Blu-Ray player, which is handy as more often than not I will watch a film while a game downloads or updates and when it finishes updating/downloading I can just pause the film and switch back to the xbox one/360.

Audio Switch: It has a good connection and it's like any other audio switch, not much to say on that really!

Headphone Jack: Same as above

VGA Slot: I don't really need it, but I tried it out anyways, and it was standard, which is all you need really!

Buttons: The buttons are easy to access, but they are a bit sensitive, which can be a bit annoying if you accidentally knock something against it, but that nothing major and it has all the basic buttons you need, as well as the option to change it to a 'Game' setting and a 'Theater' setting, which is handy for when I am switching from films to gaming, and it works well too! :) There are also other options, but I tend not to fiddle with those ^_^

Build: Very solid build, despite the other reviews about the stand, i feel like it does the job, it can sometimes be slightly wobbly, but overall its fine as long as you aren't having an earthquake :)

That's all really!

hope it settled your mind!

-Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen, 10 Sep 2013
Bought this a week ago and plugged into iMac as second screen. Makes the iMac screen look not so good. Seems great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 25 Jun 2014
I have to say that for the small price of £260 this is one of the best monitors I have came across, the crisp modern design with a super thin display is just perfect. I am often swayed by how a product looks and how a product feels the design of the sand and how stable it is on the monitor couldn't be better. Asus really have pushed all the boundaries with this screen.

The Speakers are built in you couldn't really ask more from them everyone knows that they aren't going to be as good as external speakers but they do the job.

I have 2 of these monitors and they work perfectly together I use them to game on as well and people say it's not the best monitor for gaming, I really don't see what they are talking about it is lightening fast compared to my old monitor.

Overall the perfect monitor for the perfect price I would highly recommend buying it.

The only thing was when my second one was delivered well, not delivered it got left outside at 10AM and then I didn't come home until 7PM so obviously someone had took it as it wasn't left in a secure place. but Amazon were quick to replace it for me!

Not Amazons fault or the monitors so i still give it 5/5!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Picture- just the odd niggle, 6 July 2013
Firstly let's just say that for the money this is a brilliant monitor/media screen. Its crisp and bright, has a very slim edge and has great connectivity options round the back. As a computer monitor its great and easily able to keep up with anything I throw at it (Windows 8 user). It's also very capable as a HDMI screen for playing DVD, Blu-Ray etc. Its the first monitor I have used with inbuilt speakers and they are the only let down for me, they sound like they are playing through someone's jumper! they are muffled, the treble is almost none existent which you cannot adjust from the monitor, in fact the monitors own "Menu" is pretty basic, my 7yr old LG monitor had better customisation options. So far I have been unable to increase the treble as Windows 8 seems to have done away with this option too. The screen goes to sleep on its own after 10mins of no activity which is nice. I received both a European and a British plug with mine, the box does state that this model is a Netherlands one, not a UK model. Buy for the screen and connectivity options and you WILL be impressed, just don't expect the sound to be as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 Jan 2014
I purchased this monitor about 6 months ago as I needed a second monitor. This guy does the job really well.

1) Very bright colours
2) Very stylish
3) Great features (easy to tilt, clean, small bezel and good touch controls)

1) Expected more from Bang & Olufsen speakers. They produce an average sound. In fact they often muffle speech so I find it hard to hear the words over music. I intended to use them a lot but have not used them in months.

Would definitely recommend buying this monitor as long as you don't intend on using in built speakers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Screen. Awful speakers., 30 May 2014
Bought this a few weeks ago for my gaming PC. Colours are great, Screen size is great, I was expecting allot more from the "Bang & Olufsen" Speakers though. I have an on beat 200 portable speaker I got free with my phone contract and it blows the screen speakers out of the water. For some reason as well, some of the games I play don't fill up the whole screen. Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it ? Also sometimes in game the dialogue is hard to read, you need to mess about with the resolution settings. Apart from these flaws, the screen is great.