I've had this several months now and thought it better to write the review after the honeymoon period:)
This monitor has *very* good colour rendering, a better contrast ratio than lots of other models (that overstate the contrast ratio in marketing hype) and of course it looks very nice on a desk.
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for video/gaming use
Long story short, the monitor has a beautiful design, but the readability of fonts no matter the calibration is terrible. Impossible to properly work with documents for long periods.
Published 8 months ago by Marco

4.0 out of 5 stars More vibrant colours than most 1080P displays at a similar cost - good for standard non-gaming use., 28 Aug. 2013
Amazon Customer (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus MX279H 27-inch Widescreen AH-IPS Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, 2x HDMI, VGA, 178 Degree Wide-view Angle, Asus SonicMaster Technology) (Personal Computers)
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to.

What it does cope with really well is photographic material and high definition multimedia with small to moderate changes in horizontal panning.
Text is extremely clear and pin sharp in static images,display brightness is more than adequate and easy on the eye with far less eyestrain.

Another reviewer mentioned they get slight light bleed on this panel.
I can also confirm that on mine the bottom left (when displaying a black raster) does appear to allow more white led light through the lcd.
I'm of the opinion this is a panel seating issue getting past QC.

On the whole I'm happy with this when compared to other offerings at similar prices and find it suits well for everyday use.
The screen is far more readable for text than other monitors I've used at the same price,resolution and size.
It is also is nice to look at something designed in a way that is unobtrusive rather than the usual obligatory black plastic box.

PSU is rated at 64.98 watts,so I imagine this panels improved image quality/technology requires a little more power.
There is an Eco setting in the menu at the cost of performance,turning it on seems fine,if not better for the eyes at night when watching catch up tv online etc.

The Bang & Olufsen ICEpower internal amplifier and internal speakers are very much louder than any monitor I've had but the downside is they have less top end than I'd expected.
Distortion can be quite noticeable,when turned up.
Some of this is mechanical noise and introduced because such a slim enclosure couldn't be made resonant with the enclosed speaker drivers (This distortion isn't replicated through headphone out at all)

A couple of tiny tweeters either side of the front aluminium panel may have been a good idea,increasing vocal intelligibility and soundstage.
The resultant quality of the audio is adequate but a little like having water in your ears.
I decided to continue using a DAC.

What this monitor would not be suitable for is images that pan really fast.
By this I mean if you plan on using it when intensive action gaming, you will have problems as it simply cannot keep up with extremely fast horizontal movement in the video signal and you'll likely make mistakes if you are looking to use it solely for this purpose.
(Above 400 Pixel/sec LtoR pan,convergence suffers)

For everyday full HD multimedia use and games that are not intensively action based it is a very good buy.

Official Specs:

Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9
Panel Type : AH-IPS
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.311mm
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1 < *(+/- pinch of salt, as required)
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178°(H)/178°(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant colour. Bright whites, deep blacks, 29 Mar. 2013
Thomas Coote (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this screen because I fancied an upgrade from my previous 23" TN panel that i had been using for around 2 years previously. It did come with a European plug as someone has previously stated, so you can use a spare clover cable, EU to UK adapter or do what I did and rewire the existing lead to a UK plug.

-One of the main features I was looking for was an IPS/PLS panel on the new screen as some of my friends have the Samsung
Galaxy S3 (Highly Recommended) which has a beautiful picture on it! The colours on IPS panels just jump out at you, there is such a difference between this and a cheap TN screen. That's one of the primary reasons I chose this. I haven't seen any signs of ghosting on this except the tiniest amount when going quickly from red to green (Opposite on the spectrum) not a big enough point to sway my 5/5 decision

-The 1080p resolution is more than enough for me. I use this screen for both Xbox and light PC gaming, and the Xbox only outputs 1080p. 27 inches is a good size for any desk, although you definitely shouldn't be setting with your eyes inches from this thing. In terms of I/O on the back you have 2 x HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm input and output. For those of you looking to use a DVI connection the screen comes with a DVI to HDMI included.

-The speakers have a lot of promotion behind them and I must say they are impressive. I haven't looked into the technology, however I can tell you they manage to fill my room which I was stunned by. It doesn't sound anything like the tinny speakers that you'd expect to come free on a monitor. Sound levels are good too, I usually have it on around 70/100 as I find this a comfortable volume to listen at. Another handy addition is the 3.5mm jack out which outputs the sound from the HDMI that the screen receives. Very useful if your like me and game with a headset. It also has a 3.5mm input so you can either play music or a different sound source through the speakers.

-The design and appearance of this is something quite beautiful. It has a brushed aluminium finish to it which looks amazing plus an overall modern design. A ring base with the support for the screen at the back of it almost gives the impression the screen is floating! The touch sensitive buttons are for controlling the monitors functions suck as: Volume; Brightness; Input; Design Grid; Colour Scheme; Menu and On/Off - these add yet more class. The menu layout was confusing at first however I did get used to where everything was, plus the main reason I needed to go there (Input Switching) had it's own dedicated button anyway.

I love this screen hence the 5/5, don't hesitate to buy one yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a pretty face, 26 Jun. 2013
Mr. T. S. Green "Critical Tom" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I was sceptical about buying this monitor as it seemed perhaps a bit gimmicky to have such a narrow edge and stylish design, but I was pleasantly impressed.

The one negative point people have often sighted about this screen is that for a 27" screen it does not reach the higher resolution of 1440p, but that is precisely what I did not want, I previously owned a 27" screen at that higher resolution and it really wasn't for me, working with text a lot of the time it became a chore to read off of. However, this is the perfect size and resolution.

I used to work as an image editor so I have seen a fair few screens in my time and my opinion is that this comes pretty close to being the standard that a lot of the £600+ monitors would be, it is of course an IPS which gives you fantastic colour's and image quality, and the viewing angle is probably the best I have seen. For gaming I have read reports of ghosting or trailing becoming visible in certain circumstances bit I haven't noticed anything with games running up to 100fps. Also the monitor supports those low resolutions you will get when using something like dosbox, for anyone worried a bigger monitor might diminished their old school full screen gaming. I would recommend the scenery pre-set mode for image, I found this to have the levels most well balanced. In addition there is also a grid alignment mode which creates a screen overlay that you can move around and set to certain sizes, A4, envelope etc.. it's a really nice edition especially for things such as photoshop work.

Criticisms, yes the touch buttons are a little rubbish but it really doesn't matter, it would however have been nice for the option to wall mount, but I guess that would of caused a bigger design. The choice of not having a DVI is an odd one, but it does come with a DVI to HDMI cable so that isn't a biggie. There are also speakers which are nothing to write home about but it is nice that there is also an audio jack which is useful if you don't have a headphone port close to your disposal.

In all a very impressive monitor, and for the price it is an absolute steal, I can only assume it is so cheap due to not sporting a 1440p resolution and in that case it was win win for me. And it goes without saying it looks very nice sat on a desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen, 10 Sept. 2013
Bought this a week ago and plugged into iMac as second screen. Makes the iMac screen look not so good. Seems great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 25 Jun. 2014
I have to say that for the small price of £260 this is one of the best monitors I have came across, the crisp modern design with a super thin display is just perfect. I am often swayed by how a product looks and how a product feels the design of the sand and how stable it is on the monitor couldn't be better. Asus really have pushed all the boundaries with this screen.

The Speakers are built in you couldn't really ask more from them everyone knows that they aren't going to be as good as external speakers but they do the job.

I have 2 of these monitors and they work perfectly together I use them to game on as well and people say it's not the best monitor for gaming, I really don't see what they are talking about it is lightening fast compared to my old monitor.

Overall the perfect monitor for the perfect price I would highly recommend buying it.

The only thing was when my second one was delivered well, not delivered it got left outside at 10AM and then I didn't come home until 7PM so obviously someone had took it as it wasn't left in a secure place. but Amazon were quick to replace it for me!

Not Amazons fault or the monitors so i still give it 5/5!

2.0 out of 5 stars Only for video/gaming use, 11 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 Jan. 2014
I purchased this monitor about 6 months ago as I needed a second monitor. This guy does the job really well.

1) Very bright colours
2) Very stylish
3) Great features (easy to tilt, clean, small bezel and good touch controls)

1) Expected more from Bang & Olufsen speakers. They produce an average sound. In fact they often muffle speech so I find it hard to hear the words over music. I intended to use them a lot but have not used them in months.

Would definitely recommend buying this monitor as long as you don't intend on using in built speakers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for entertainment, not great for work, 5 Sept. 2013
A. Shiell "Polecat" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
When I chose this monitor, I was looking for something that could double up as a monitor for working on during the day, and to use a second TV or Gaming screen at night. I also wanted a premium screen that was good for photo editing. I chose well for the entertainment side of things - its great for watching movies, TV and playing games. Its also great for viewing and editing photos. Contrast, colours etc all brilliant. Sound quality from the internal speakers is good too - obviously no match for external speakers, but it is as good as my TV, so its fine for watching news or playing background music while you work. Its only loud enough for a small room however.

Now for the downside. Its simply too bright for doing office type work or reading text. I have the brightness turned all the way down to the minimum, and I still get sore eyes when I read a lot of text or do word processing, or study a big spreadsheet or whatever. This does not happen with the Dell and HP monitors in the office, but when I work from home I get sore eyes quite quickly from staring at this monitor. Its unfortunately the same kind of glare you use to get off CRT monitors.

So if you need a monitor for entertainment or photoshop type stuff then go for it. If you need to normal boring work, get a normal boring monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor i have ever had, 27 July 2013
Where should i start? it is excellent monitor not only perfoms brilliantly with excellent colours and adjustments but also looks stylish.
Well worth the money paid for it. Although i have Bose computer speakers and didnt buy it for the bang and olufsen speakers built in i had to give them a try and they are excellent as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars, not to forget there are better monitors out there., 15 Feb. 2014
/// Pros

· Good clean color reproduction & span of contrast
· By analyzing text, it holds a good degree of sharpness, but due to max resolution of 1920 x 1080, not really much better than my previous 27" LCD Monitor at about £200.
· Styling has certainly been a key factor for this monitor.
· I'm not a massive game player, but fast moving visuals seem responsive enough.
· Brightness levels is satisfactory.

/// Cons

· Reflecting on the price, I would say that image quality overall does not lend itself to giving me that ultimate WOW factor over a cheaper priced monitor, but still, it's not bad.
· Ergonomics would had placed display touch buttons on side/bottom-front for ease of use, but aesthetics chose underneath - Initially you might find them a little frustrating to function by having to twist your hand.
· A max resolution of 2560 x 1440 would had made this monitor very competitive in this price range, however, there are quite a lot of more expensive monitors of this size on the market that don't excel that far either.
· Slight screen bleeding on darker colors, but nothing to get a twist over.
· Slim bezel that states frameless, however, you do lose about a centimeter of display area round the screen (Except bottom). The bezel itself is about 0.8 of a millimeter.
· Sadly, the stand is fixed in a way that can only tilt up/down, but still, not a huge problem.

/// Conclusion

Overall, once you have everything setup the way you like it, it is a good monitor that produces some good output. It comes complete with all the leads you need to plug into the I/O ports, including a HDMI to DVI lead, as the monitor does not include a DVI port.

It has integrated speakers, but not tested or ever will - It's a bonus that it has them, but you don't buy a monitor for the speakers, especially when you have a £100 Asus Xonar 7.1 sound card installed.

In general, if your looking for a monitor that combines a bit of style and reasonably good picture quality in one package, then I don't think you can go too far wrong with this compared to most others.