I've had this several months now and thought it better to write the review after the honeymoon period:)
This monitor has *very* good colour rendering, a better contrast ratio than lots of other models (that overstate the contrast ratio in marketing hype) and of course it looks very nice on a desk.
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to...
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for entertainment, not great for work
Published 11 months ago by A. Shiell

4.0 out of 5 stars More vibrant colours than most 1080P displays at a similar cost - good for standard non-gaming use., 28 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus MX279H 27-inch Widescreen AH-IPS Multimedia Monitor (1920x1080, 5ms, 2x HDMI, VGA, 178 Degree Wide-view Angle, Asus SonicMaster Technology) (Personal Computers)
Touch Sensitive controls take some getting used to.

What it does cope with really well is photographic material and high definition multimedia with small to moderate changes in horizontal panning.
Text is extremely clear and pin sharp in static images,display brightness is more than adequate and easy on the eye with far less eyestrain.

Another reviewer mentioned they get slight light bleed on this panel.
I can also confirm that on mine the bottom left (when displaying a black raster) does appear to allow more white led light through the lcd.
I'm of the opinion this is a panel seating issue getting past QC.

On the whole I'm happy with this when compared to other offerings at similar prices and find it suits well for everyday use.
The screen is far more readable for text than other monitors I've used at the same price,resolution and size.
It is also is nice to look at something designed in a way that is unobtrusive rather than the usual obligatory black plastic box.

PSU is rated at 64.98 watts,so I imagine this panels improved image quality/technology requires a little more power.
There is an Eco setting in the menu at the cost of performance,turning it on seems fine,if not better for the eyes at night when watching catch up tv online etc.

The Bang & Olufsen ICEpower internal amplifier and internal speakers are very much louder than any monitor I've had but the downside is they have less top end than I'd expected.
Distortion can be quite noticeable,when turned up.
Some of this is mechanical noise and introduced because such a slim enclosure couldn't be made resonant with the enclosed speaker drivers (This distortion isn't replicated through headphone out at all)

A couple of tiny tweeters either side of the front aluminium panel may have been a good idea,increasing vocal intelligibility and soundstage.
The resultant quality of the audio is adequate but a little like having water in your ears.
I decided to continue using a DAC.

What this monitor would not be suitable for is images that pan really fast.
By this I mean if you plan on using it when intensive action gaming, you will have problems as it simply cannot keep up with extremely fast horizontal movement in the video signal and you'll likely make mistakes if you are looking to use it solely for this purpose.
(Above 400 Pixel/sec LtoR pan,convergence suffers)

For everyday full HD multimedia use and games that are not intensively action based it is a very good buy.

Official Specs:

Panel Size: Wide Screen 27.0"(68.6cm) 16:9
Panel Type : AH-IPS
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Full HD 1080P : Yes
Pixel Pitch : 0.311mm
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1 < *(+/- pinch of salt, as required)
Viewing Angle (CR≧10) : 178(H)/178(V)
Response Time : 5ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant colour. Bright whites, deep blacks, 29 Mar 2013
Thomas Coote (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased this screen because I fancied an upgrade from my previous 23" TN panel that i had been using for around 2 years previously. It did come with a European plug as someone has previously stated, so you can use a spare clover cable, EU to UK adapter or do what I did and rewire the existing lead to a UK plug.

-One of the main features I was looking for was an IPS/PLS panel on the new screen as some of my friends have the Samsung
Galaxy S3 (Highly Recommended) which has a beautiful picture on it! The colours on IPS panels just jump out at you, there is such a difference between this and a cheap TN screen. That's one of the primary reasons I chose this. I haven't seen any signs of ghosting on this except the tiniest amount when going quickly from red to green (Opposite on the spectrum) not a big enough point to sway my 5/5 decision

-The 1080p resolution is more than enough for me. I use this screen for both Xbox and light PC gaming, and the Xbox only outputs 1080p. 27 inches is a good size for any desk, although you definitely shouldn't be setting with your eyes inches from this thing. In terms of I/O on the back you have 2 x HDMI, VGA, 3.5mm input and output. For those of you looking to use a DVI connection the screen comes with a DVI to HDMI included.

-The speakers have a lot of promotion behind them and I must say they are impressive. I haven't looked into the technology, however I can tell you they manage to fill my room which I was stunned by. It doesn't sound anything like the tinny speakers that you'd expect to come free on a monitor. Sound levels are good too, I usually have it on around 70/100 as I find this a comfortable volume to listen at. Another handy addition is the 3.5mm jack out which outputs the sound from the HDMI that the screen receives. Very useful if your like me and game with a headset. It also has a 3.5mm input so you can either play music or a different sound source through the speakers.

-The design and appearance of this is something quite beautiful. It has a brushed aluminium finish to it which looks amazing plus an overall modern design. A ring base with the support for the screen at the back of it almost gives the impression the screen is floating! The touch sensitive buttons are for controlling the monitors functions suck as: Volume; Brightness; Input; Design Grid; Colour Scheme; Menu and On/Off - these add yet more class. The menu layout was confusing at first however I did get used to where everything was, plus the main reason I needed to go there (Input Switching) had it's own dedicated button anyway.

I love this screen hence the 5/5, don't hesitate to buy one yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best monitor i have ever had, 27 July 2013
Where should i start? it is excellent monitor not only perfoms brilliantly with excellent colours and adjustments but also looks stylish.
Well worth the money paid for it. Although i have Bose computer speakers and didnt buy it for the bang and olufsen speakers built in i had to give them a try and they are excellent as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Picture- just the odd niggle, 6 July 2013
Firstly let's just say that for the money this is a brilliant monitor/media screen. Its crisp and bright, has a very slim edge and has great connectivity options round the back. As a computer monitor its great and easily able to keep up with anything I throw at it (Windows 8 user). It's also very capable as a HDMI screen for playing DVD, Blu-Ray etc. Its the first monitor I have used with inbuilt speakers and they are the only let down for me, they sound like they are playing through someone's jumper! they are muffled, the treble is almost none existent which you cannot adjust from the monitor, in fact the monitors own "Menu" is pretty basic, my 7yr old LG monitor had better customisation options. So far I have been unable to increase the treble as Windows 8 seems to have done away with this option too. The screen goes to sleep on its own after 10mins of no activity which is nice. I received both a European and a British plug with mine, the box does state that this model is a Netherlands one, not a UK model. Buy for the screen and connectivity options and you WILL be impressed, just don't expect the sound to be as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen, 10 Sep 2013
Bought this a week ago and plugged into iMac as second screen. Makes the iMac screen look not so good. Seems great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 8 Jan 2014
I purchased this monitor about 6 months ago as I needed a second monitor. This guy does the job really well.

1) Very bright colours
2) Very stylish
3) Great features (easy to tilt, clean, small bezel and good touch controls)

1) Expected more from Bang & Olufsen speakers. They produce an average sound. In fact they often muffle speech so I find it hard to hear the words over music. I intended to use them a lot but have not used them in months.

Would definitely recommend buying this monitor as long as you don't intend on using in built speakers.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome monitor for my ps4, had this monitor for 9 months and still flawless, 1 Aug 2014
bought this for release day of ps4, and all i can say i love the colours from it,as well as the input lag, cant fault this monitor tbh, ive returned 3 42 inch 500 pound tvs before getting this due to banding/uneven backlight/dead pixels on all tvs, even though all tvs/monitor have banding to an extent this one is very minimal and only noticeable when viewing only one colour and scrolling (looking around) which i never do as there is always lots of different colours when playing games and the things i do. this monitor would be brilliant for photo editing/graphic design which i want to do in the future. the power usage is brilliant, with brightness all the way down it only uses 9w. the speakers are usable but i would recommend a surround system or hifi.there is a bit of motion blur but is much better than all tvs, and most tn panels ive had, the motion stills looks very good and the colour/accuracy/whites makes up for it.
and all includes a 3 year panel/monitor warranty which includes dead pixel warranty which is awesome and even the touch buttons. btw there are no dead at all
there is a very slight light/backlight bleed spot on bottom left corner but i dont notice it at all because i have it on game mode setting anyway which makes blacks slighty grey but still look black so looks perfect that way. all these monitors have slight left bottom light bleed due to the manufacturing process they've been through so they will have it too some extent.
the touch buttons takes time getting used to but are really cool to use.

If you can afford this monitor its a must buy, i love useing it for gaming on my ps4 , fps/rpg/racing most games tbh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for entertainment, not great for work, 5 Sep 2013
A. Shiell "Polecat" (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
When I chose this monitor, I was looking for something that could double up as a monitor for working on during the day, and to use a second TV or Gaming screen at night. I also wanted a premium screen that was good for photo editing. I chose well for the entertainment side of things - its great for watching movies, TV and playing games. Its also great for viewing and editing photos. Contrast, colours etc all brilliant. Sound quality from the internal speakers is good too - obviously no match for external speakers, but it is as good as my TV, so its fine for watching news or playing background music while you work. Its only loud enough for a small room however.

Now for the downside. Its simply too bright for doing office type work or reading text. I have the brightness turned all the way down to the minimum, and I still get sore eyes when I read a lot of text or do word processing, or study a big spreadsheet or whatever. This does not happen with the Dell and HP monitors in the office, but when I work from home I get sore eyes quite quickly from staring at this monitor. Its unfortunately the same kind of glare you use to get off CRT monitors.

So if you need a monitor for entertainment or photoshop type stuff then go for it. If you need to normal boring work, get a normal boring monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a pretty face, 26 Jun 2013
Mr. T. S. Green "Critical Tom" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
I was sceptical about buying this monitor as it seemed perhaps a bit gimmicky to have such a narrow edge and stylish design, but I was pleasantly impressed.

The one negative point people have often sighted about this screen is that for a 27" screen it does not reach the higher resolution of 1440p, but that is precisely what I did not want, I previously owned a 27" screen at that higher resolution and it really wasn't for me, working with text a lot of the time it became a chore to read off of. However, this is the perfect size and resolution.

I used to work as an image editor so I have seen a fair few screens in my time and my opinion is that this comes pretty close to being the standard that a lot of the 600+ monitors would be, it is of course an IPS which gives you fantastic colour's and image quality, and the viewing angle is probably the best I have seen. For gaming I have read reports of ghosting or trailing becoming visible in certain circumstances bit I haven't noticed anything with games running up to 100fps. Also the monitor supports those low resolutions you will get when using something like dosbox, for anyone worried a bigger monitor might diminished their old school full screen gaming. I would recommend the scenery pre-set mode for image, I found this to have the levels most well balanced. In addition there is also a grid alignment mode which creates a screen overlay that you can move around and set to certain sizes, A4, envelope etc.. it's a really nice edition especially for things such as photoshop work.

Criticisms, yes the touch buttons are a little rubbish but it really doesn't matter, it would however have been nice for the option to wall mount, but I guess that would of caused a bigger design. The choice of not having a DVI is an odd one, but it does come with a DVI to HDMI cable so that isn't a biggie. There are also speakers which are nothing to write home about but it is nice that there is also an audio jack which is useful if you don't have a headphone port close to your disposal.

In all a very impressive monitor, and for the price it is an absolute steal, I can only assume it is so cheap due to not sporting a 1440p resolution and in that case it was win win for me. And it goes without saying it looks very nice sat on a desk.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pixel-perfect, 14 April 2014
After thoroughly looking around for other monitors within this price-range, i'm very happy that i settled with this product. Screen-glare is a thing of the past. The colour-quality is beautiful as is the actual 'case'. Would recommend.