on 2 June 2015
As a cheese loving vegetarian of 14 years that has recently made the jump to vegan, I was naturally A: terribly upset about no longer being able to eat cheddar, halloumi, brie, mozzarella, and so on, and B: very VERY skeptical that anything that claims to be "vegan cheese" could taste like anything other than old socks and sweaty scrotums.

Then my 3 (enormous) pots of Engevita arrived. Impatiently I ripped open one and stuck my finger in to grab a pinch. Well. Safe to say, I was pretty disappointed with the flavour, though smug at being proved right over my earlier taste assumptions.

Determined not to give in so easily, I then followed a recipe for vegan Parmesan (blitz cashew nuts, Engevita, salt and garlic powder till fine) which I applied liberally to a creamy mushroom I'd made. Meh. Not bad, not great, thought I, as I enviously watched my thoroughly herbivorous OH devouring his portion with liberal amounts of extra mature cheddar.

Still not deterred, I then made a vegan pizza, roasted Mediterranean veg, and a roast garlic and pesto bread for sharing, topping both with vast quantities of vegan Parmesan. Holy moly. My tastebuds must have changed overnight, because sweet Jesus, those 2 dishes were a cheesy, delicious kind of food sex that you brag about for weeks after.

Last night I made asparagus and kale linguine with pesto, and yep, guess what I topped it with. Vegan Parmesan. It's just too good. I licked my plate clean with only my dog Brian to judge me. No shame.

Give it a try, then try it again, then once more, and then become obsessed like me. Welcome to the Engevita Addict's Club.
1212 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2014
I am a veggie and do tend to eat too much cheese so I thought I would try these flakes. They are so versatile. Mix them with tofu for a cream cheese, sprinkle over freshly popped corn or just sprinkle on top of onion soup. Buy a tub; you will not be disappointed...oh and they are good for you.
on 5 December 2012
OOh these are gorgeous I could eat handfuls of them before they even reach the soup or whatever my sprinkling plans for them. Had them on a toasted cheese & chutney sandwich earlier. They are yummy - might sprinkle them on my roast potatoes at christmas. Delivery was in record time & I was keen to snatch them from the postman & rip open the packaging.
on 12 September 2013
this is actually really tasty and makes great vegan cheese sauce. I sometimes sprinkle it over stews but mainly I just eating with my fingers straight out of the tub, late at night.
on 10 June 2014
Fantastic product at a good price here on Amazon. Totally adored by my children, makes a great cheeze sauce, but their favourite is sprinkled on pasta or as part of a tofu scramble. Or just off a spoon if I'm honest. Mainly just off the spoon.
on 24 September 2013
Those flakes are absolutely delicious. Didn't expect much of a taste when I ordered them but I can't stop eating now. They have a really salty cheesy flavour and you can forget about using salt ever again. :) I recommend this product to everyone. :)
on 4 May 2013
I bought these as a source of b12, considering that I am getting enough from this as it claims (which I've no way to tell) then I am very satisfied. Beware, these tubs are rather bigger than you think, or at least I did and bought 9, but that's Ok as it tastes great, almost cheesy with the slightest hint of egg and nut, but fear not none of these are overpowering. It has an appearance resembling sawdust but doesn't feel similar, it is nice to eat and dissolves in water, surprisingly not making it taste vile. Overall, a good and extremely useful product.
on 31 May 2013
I started off buying the regular version of these flakes - and I absolutely adored them.

As I stated in my review of them:
It has been a total lifesaver since I went Vegan - it is hugely versatile, tastes incredibly delicious (the "cheese" sauce I've made with this is BETTER than any "real" cheese sauce I have had in my life!), its very good for you (it's packed with vit. b12), and above all its cheap!

Everything applies to these enriched flakes - only more so! I find they have a stronger, even more unctuous flavour than the regular variety, and so you actually need to use less of them to get the same effect (though they are so nice, using "less" is often a feat of willpower!).

So as the other flakes got 5 stars from me, these, as they are even better, would get 6 - if only it were possible!

I have them on subscription so I never run out - I just couldn't do without them.
on 19 May 2016
This stuff is weirdly good. It looks horrid, like dried bits of foot skin or something, but have a mouthful and it gets weirder. I can only compare it to wotsits, albeit crushed wotsits. Anyway it sticks to your teeth in a delightful way and you think 'not doing that again' but before you know it you've reached for another spoonful. It's utterly delish on things like soup or pasta, makes for a nice addition. If you're thinking of buying it, I bet you're a veggie like me trying to get their b vitamins!! Well go for it, both of offensive here. Even if you don't spoon it straight in your mouth, it's fab and melty on hot stuff.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2014
I had very low expectations of Savoury Yeast. Since giving up all milk products on doctor's orders, I've pined for cheese. I prowl the dairy chillers, devouring cheeses with my eyes. I loiter outside delicatessens. I ask to sniff other people's cheeses! I've tried every fake cheese available to buy, and followed numerous fake-cheese recipes from vegangelist blogs. They are all disgusting, and nothing like cheese.

I popped the lid off my first tub of Engevita while my mother was tucking into a slice of mature, crumbly, hand-made cheddar. We sniffed the beige flakes. "Stale toes", I said, "That's promising!" Mum agreed, although her words were "Quite cheese-like." (She then went into a detailed explanation of why cheese smells like stale toes. I could have lived without that part.) Sticking a wet finger into the tub, I pulled out a few flakes and tasted them - nothing.

Undaunted, I made an omelette and sprinkled it liberally with flakes. Result! It really, honestly, did taste like a cheese omelette! Not an omelette made with hand-cured cheddar, or with creamy mozzarella, but an omelette sprinkled with parmesan. The flakes even added the slightly greasy coating you'd get with real parmesan. Not sure how they did that - Engevita isn't greasy - but, as cheese substitutes go, it was miles better than all the other rubbish I've tried.

I'll be experimenting with further recipes :)