Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 26 November 2012
Despite its 'in your face' title, this book is not a heavy read. In fact I could hardly put it down and had to read it through to the end in just two or three sittings.

Dr Venter has led a colourful life with the bright, sunny colours of joyous times mixed with the more sombre hues of illness and disasters along the way. Bruce Venter is by nature open to new people and experiences, and this has as often been to his detriment as to his benefit. He is as open with us, his readers, in this honest account of his trials and tribulations. The overiding impression left by this book is of the immense fortitude and perseverance he has shown in combating his inner demons. One senses, by the end, that at last he has not just seen the light at the end of the tunnel but is being bathed by its rays.

A recommended read for anyone who has had to contend with mental illness, or indeed for a general readership prepared to enjoy a highly readable account of how such illness can affect people.

GM
on 12 April 2013
I found this book inspirational, I read it in a day and a half and the events have not left my mind, the troubles and tribulations a person can go through and over come are moving.
Dr venter is a strong minded fantastic person to cope as well as he does with the difficulties he has had to face.
A fantastic read and very addictive.
on 7 January 2014
I came to the end of this book feeling sad that there was no more to read, but incredibly inspired by the constant ability Bruce demonstrated to pick himself up again after every knock. I would love to know how life is going for him now and in the future... What an incredible story
on 7 October 2013
This is a refreshingly honest account of a man's struggle to survive. It does not just focus on his mental health but on all aspects of his life.
I found this book particularly interesting as I know Bruce personally, we play in the same band.
A real page turner!
on 11 February 2014
Was especially interesting as it gave the inside view of the author who in spite of suffering this dreadful illness , managed to surve and even managed to pursue his profession as a dentist albeit in spite of episodes which seemed at times insurmountable
on 7 March 2015
Surprised I actually finished this book as I got so angry reading it at times, yes I agree it was a life true story, but what a selfish "it's all about me", I understand it is an illness, but he was good at getting everything he wanted and used his illness as an excuse, I may be wrong, but that is how I read it, Could not get to grips how he could do good stuff, but at other times had no common sense. Book was not for me.
on 19 April 2014
Very interesting book, it is well written and kept you wanting to read more. Would recommend this book to anyone!
on 8 April 2015
Interesting subject, interesting look at a person's life!
on 14 July 2014
Personal , good book
on 25 April 2015
Upon reading, I was a bit disappointed that the author dwells too much time on his academic achievements in dentistry, I almost feel I could perform root canal treatment now, his details are so lengthy, and not much about his mental state or its causes. Even having read the book I am still not entirely sure of the root cause of his mental health issue. I was less interested about his appalling second wife. I guess I was hoping for an insightful journey into his illness and recovery than the book presened.