5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker
I know it, I'm getting old and jaded, and sometimes I wonder why I keep buying new music when I'm often disappointed and go back to the old favourites.
Then just as I'm about to reach back in to the 70's AGAIN, along comes an album like Wolf's law, and it lifts your heart.
Takes a lot to grab me first up, but this really is a cracker.
I'm not in to writing...
Published 18 months ago by Toby

2.0 out of 5 stars The Wolf Cries
The Joy Formidable and their 2011 début The Big Roar was whilst being a bit too, "Big" at times, could also be an enjoyable album as well, with stand-out tracks "Whirring" and "The Greatest Light Is The Greatest Shade".

So, the band are now onto their second album, which feels too much of the same, and to an extent, less. Album opener "This Ladder Is...
Published 16 months ago by Matthew R.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracker, 27 Jan 2013
Toby "tobysj" (Buxton, Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
Takes a lot to grab me first up, but this really is a cracker.
I'm not in to writing track by track reviews, it's all about whether the whole album works for me, and it does, the whole way through, finishing on a joyful chorus of strings and a soaring voice.
Not sure who to compare these guys to: a bit of Mostly Autumn, some Porcupine Tree.
All I know is I'll be looking forward to whatever they release next, and may well still have Wolf's Law in the CD player when they do.
BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite album of 2013, 6 Oct 2013
James Bailey - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
There's a little bit more polish here than on The Big Roar, though I love both. The Joy Formidable is that crossover between rock and alternative, not afraid to do something a little different, but beneath it all there's a lot of passion and power. My favorite tracks on this album are "This Ladder Is Ours," "Cholla," "The Leopard and the Lung," and "Wolf's Law," the hidden last track. I will say I hate the "hidden" tracks on CDs. That's kind of played out about 10 years ago. It would be nice just to punch that one up and listen to it whenever without having to wait through the dead air. But it's a great song (and really cool video on YouTube).

There are no dead spots here and this CD has been in my computer for really the better part of the year. I listen to it regularly yet it's all still fresh. I can't say I understand the artwork in the CD booklet, but aside from that I can find nothing to fault here. Love TJF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 17 Feb 2014
Stephen Ince "Steve Ince" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolf's Law (MP3 Download)
What a great collection of songs! Thoroughly enjoyed listening to this. Their previous work is superb, too. I just wish modern bands released albums more frequently.

5.0 out of 5 stars This band should be bigger!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
I've always been a fan of female fronted bands and I have to say I think The Joy formidable are up there with best of them
( Blondie, Fleetwood mac, Lacuna coil, Fugees , Cocteau twins etc) , although I do realise thats probably the last thing they want to be known as. They are a band of talented musicians whose lead singer happens to be female. Its a shame though because I cant help but feel if their lead singer was male they would have been the next Muse/ Queens of stone age etc type band. Guess thats a sad reflection of why they are so underratted.

Anyway I stumbled onto the Big Roar a few years ago and it stayed in my playlists up until this day. It was fresh, great sounding guitars and melodies and the band obviously enjoyed playing together you could see that in any live performance or acoustic set on youtube. This really confirmed to me they were a talented band when every acoustic version of them doing their own songs sounds so good. In some cases some performances I seen were better than the album versions. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see them live but from what I have read they are fantastic.

Any way this album picks up where the Big roar left off but what I prefer about this album is the few quiter acoustic type songs mixed in with the full on distorted guitar tracks. They really sound fantastic those melodies and the dropped tunings together. I also love the fact that they are welsh but she doesn't make that everything they are about. It used to be painful listening to Catatonia where the lead singer milked all the R's ( ROAD RAGE). TJF's singer is a pleasure to listen to and I hope this band stay together for a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Download it now!, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (MP3 Download)
Loud guitars, satisfying melodies. What's not to like?

Trust this concise, well informed review and download this now. You won't be disappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Shoe gazing has returned, and it sounds better than before!, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I can only really think of Slowdive and Ride sounding anything close to this. This Welsh 3 piece have stepped up the pace by making a very polished Indie album, with a distinctive female vocalist and a fantastic collection of self composed tracks that could see the band raise their profile and break America.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Formidable Joy, 9 May 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
Couldn't wait to get this album as absolutely love 'The Big Roar'. Always anxious that a follow-up wouldn't come up to the same high standard but there is no problem like that with this record. Fabulous tracks throughout and no worries about being of a high standard - as good as if not better than the first album. Had the privilege of seeing the band in concert recently and believe it to be one of the best gigs I've seen for years. So much energy and every song played sounded incredible. Paid 12.50 for the concert ticket and talk about a bargain. Awesome - just like this and their previous album. This band are destined for much much bigger things. Can't wait to see them again and for the release of the next record.

4.0 out of 5 stars My joy is formidable, 22 April 2013
Monster Zero (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
After their excellent debut, Wolf's Law marks a more consolidated sound from Joy Formidable - a lot of the songs on here are more accessible than the joyously experimental 'Big Roar' was, but again the strength of songwriting craft, love of big blowouts and sheer noise that the trio conjure up more than makes up for the dialled down eclectism. There's a sense of fun here - a band with their feet on the ground after a great couple of years and plenty of ideas waiting to be tapped into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
This album has grown from thier first release. If you want to really feel the changes and expeirience this properly. See this band live. I saw them recently and I thought the "show" was the best I have seen for many years. It bought the music to life with raw energy and thumping waqll of sound. I wish them all the success they deserve (but I also hope it doesn't spoil them too). If you liked the first album you'll love this one. Only complaint I'm not sure about the last track yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 21 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
Amazing Album, even better than The Big Roar. No filler at all, every song is a blinder. Been playing it constantly since I got it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wolf's Law
Wolf's Law by The Joy Formidable (Audio CD - 2013)