4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars

Published 21 months ago by Brett H

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 6 May 2013
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aves Sugar Digital Radio Alarm Clock (discontinued by manufacturer) (Electronics)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very easy to set up product. You literally plug and play; there really is nothing to set up and you just switch on. There are two separate alarms which work well, my husband has it set once for the time he should get up and then for the time he really needs to get up and these have worked well. If the radio can't get the DAB system it defaults to a buzzer so it does always go off. We've had it lose the signal several times and the buzzer is effective. Ours is programmed in for Radio 4 and it lets you know the programme you're listening to. The back lit screen is a bit too bright for me but it doesn't bother my husband. Looking at the other products available it seems to be good price wise but I am disappointed at how the signal keeps dipping - however it is difficult to identify if that is us or the product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Radio, Shame About The Clock, 4 Mar 2013
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is an impressive little radio. Measuring just 2.5 by 5 by 6 inches, the sound quality is very good for such a small unit. Once turned on, it started scanning for available DAB stations and quickly identified all that I would have expected plus a few more. These can then be accessed by using the arrow keys to move through the list of stations or they can be saved to preset settings. Should you wish you can switch the radio across to FM.

As others have observed, what lets this clock radio down is the clock function. During the hours of daylight, if you press one of the switches, the display lights up for a short period and the time can be easily read. However, then it dims right down so that you really have to get up close and personal to see what the time is. Whilst the radio is on, the display area is taken up with showing you what radio station you are on and the time is relegated to tiny figures in the corner. Hence it is not practical to use this as a clock during the day which is a shame as the clock is radio synchronised so that you do not have to correct it and it is entirely accurate.

However, it is during the hours of darkness that this clock really comes into its own. It really does light up the night! Well, perhaps not literally, but it certainly feels like it during the small wee hours. The blue display is extremely obtrusive in a darkened room, and I ended up turning it away from me which is not ideal for a clock radio, and it still put on a major light show. I found I could only sleep if I turned over so that I was not facing it. Hence from this reviewer's point of view that was the one and only night which I am going to be sharing with this unit as I value my sleep.

I did not find the alarm function the easiest to set. It has two alarm settings and I eventually found the trick is to press the one you wish to set for a few seconds to put it into set up mode. You then use the arrows to choose the setting you want and pressing select then moves it to the next setting. However, you have to be fairly rapid about making your selections as any tardiness results in the unit switching back to the radio station you are on without saving any of your selections. Switching off the alarm is challenging in a sleep befuddled state as all the switches are flush to the unit - it would have been better if this switch was proud so as to locate it easily.

Hence my rating would be Five Stars for an excellent little radio and One Star for a very poorly designed clock/alarm function to give Three Stars overall. A great shame, and if I was Aves I would go back to the drawing board and rethink the way this clock works because it would be quite easy to adapt this to make it into an excellent little clock radio.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Black Sugar Cube, 28 Mar 2013
Newton "Sassy Brit" (Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Aves Sugar Digital Radio Alarm Clock is the first digital radio I've owned, so the fact that it is also a digital radio alarm clock that can wake me up with the music channel of my choice seemed pretty fun to me. I set it up quickly, with a few button pushes it automatically tunes into all the available stations - all 20 of them and updated to the correct time, too. Admittedly some radio stations were clearer and louder than others, but with the extra wire antenna most of them worked loud and clear for me. I then went straight to the dual alarm set up, which was also pretty easy to programme, so I now have an alarm set for 6.00am and 7.00am each weekday morning with various snooze options, which suits both me and my husband's different waking habits.

The downside of this is that sometimes the alarm goes off and a radio station is 'out of range', so it cannot tune into a preset station to wake us up with - but the good thing is that the alarm still goes off and it beeps instead and we've never been late to work because of it!

My 'black sugar cube' is a nifty little thing, and I do like the way the LCD display will tell you not only what the time is, (although this is small to read) but it also says which record is playing as you listen. Something you don't get on other radios. Comes with an AV adapter and a quick start instruction guide. Sweet!

2.0 out of 5 stars clock radio, 10 Mar 2013
E. Dale "elained2" (W. Yorks, England UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Only used this for one day before reverting back to our trusty 40 year old clock radio. The numbers are miniscule, can't be seen from a distance as they only show up when you press a button. Very difficult to operate, we tried for ages to get the radio to come on in morning but it wasn't having it, still wanted to come on to beep. Well, we like to wake up slowly with a bit of music and banter from Chris Evans so that put us off too. Be alright if you just wanted to use it as a little radio but not portable as it needs to be plugged in. Thought it may may have a battery back-up but if so we couldn't find it. Wouldn't recommend this at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unobtrusive and efficient, 9 Mar 2013
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As expected from a clock radio, set up was fairly straightforward. It was particularly nice to find that the date and time were both automatically set virtually as soon as the radio was plugged in; that's something I really hate having to do manually. Only five DAB stations were found at first, although that increased to 17 when I moved the aerial to a different location and all were significantly clearer than their equivalent FM transmissions. The time and date are displayed clearly and are adequate for my requirements although it would have been preferable those to be in a slightly bigger font.

Many of the controls are fairly intuitive but I needed to consult the manual to work out how to set the two alarms initially (it is easy when you know how).

Each alarm can be set to sound once (date and time of your choosing); daily, weekdays or weekends and you can choose to be woken by either the FM or DAB radio or a beep. The loudness and tone of the beep can be adjusted to wake you with a figurative gentle prod to a level that will have you out of bed a little faster (although it is by no means one of the loudest alarms I've ever had, the degree to which the volume can be adjusted is pretty impressive). The snooze button allows the potential of a fairly standard nine extra minutes of slumber.

It is a small clock radio that doesn't occupy too much space on a bedside table, is easy to use (after a brief initial consult of the manual for the alarm function) and offers a good deal of flexibility with the dual alarm function. The DAB sound is pretty good as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks the wow-factor, 7 Oct 2013
Colin McCartney (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This Aves unit is a minimal inconspicuous design with DAB+ and which is easy to set up (it more or less sets itself up) and use. The build quality is reasonable and overall it's value for money. However for me it's let down by one main fault: the clock's too small and difficult to read - so much so I would not even use this as a guest bedroom radio. I also found the sound, although loud enough, to be a little bit on the tinny side compared with my old mono Roberts DAB. Whilst these negatives may not be that important to some, the general design of this clock radio I think is uninspiring and there are better products out there for the same or even less money. My advice? Pass on this and shop around - life's too short for bog-standard products.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with this item., 6 Sep 2013
What appears to be a very attractive and functional item turned out to be a very disappointing purchase indeed.
The set-up procedure was very simple and the unit auto-tuned very satisfactorily and the audio quality was quite acceptable for such a small unit.
However, it was impossible to get the unit to store stations in preset mode and in addition, the display auto-dimmed after a minute or so to become completely illegible, useless to the extreme in daylight and hard to see in the dark.
Because of these problems, I am convinced that this particular unit was faulty so therefore it was returned under Amazon's return policy and a refund given immediately.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DAB radio alarm clock, 20 Mar 2013
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
For years we've had an old bedside alarm clock with poor sound quality and a fiddly alarm function. This seemed like an ideal replacement. The setup was simple with the unit finding the DAB stations in seconds. The sound quality was surprisingly good for such a tiny device.

It has two alarm clock functions which can function in the weekday at one time and the weekend at another. Really useful.

The not so good comes down to clock visibility when the unit is on. It is very small and very difficult to see at quick glance. The unit is also very bright to use as a bedside clock. The screen can't be dimmed as such but picks a low dim when off. This looks very nice during the day but is too bright when you open your eyes in the middle of the night.

As a dab player the unit is excellent with great sound and easy to use. As a bed side clock the only let down for me is the screen brightness. For me, I have to angle this away so as not to disturb me, although I then of course can't see the clock! This is true of many such devices though so not enough to put me off recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 12 Jun 2014
I Love it good range of stations captured good sound quality. The areal cable is a bit of a pain but once in the right place its brilliant

2.0 out of 5 stars Could be better. Cannot see time when radio on, 21 May 2014
Does not connect to dab first time. Turn of and back on and it will connect. Clock very small to view when radio is playing. Would probably recommend you look at something better. Sound of radio is good, but disappointed with the overall package.