This is an impressive little radio. Measuring just 2.5 by 5 by 6 inches, the sound quality is very good for such a small unit. Once turned on, it started scanning for available DAB stations and quickly identified all that I would have expected plus a few more. These can then be accessed by using the arrow keys to move through the list of stations or they can be saved to preset settings. Should you wish you can switch the radio across to FM.

As others have observed, what lets this clock radio down is the clock function. During the hours of daylight, if you press one of the switches, the display lights up for a short period and the time can be easily read. However, then it dims right down so that you really have to get up close and personal to see what the time is. Whilst the radio is on, the display area is taken up with showing you what radio station you are on and the time is relegated to tiny figures in the corner. Hence it is not practical to use this as a clock during the day which is a shame as the clock is radio synchronised so that you do not have to correct it and it is entirely accurate.

However, it is during the hours of darkness that this clock really comes into its own. It really does light up the night! Well, perhaps not literally, but it certainly feels like it during the small wee hours. The blue display is extremely obtrusive in a darkened room, and I ended up turning it away from me which is not ideal for a clock radio, and it still put on a major light show. I found I could only sleep if I turned over so that I was not facing it. Hence from this reviewer's point of view that was the one and only night which I am going to be sharing with this unit as I value my sleep.

I did not find the alarm function the easiest to set. It has two alarm settings and I eventually found the trick is to press the one you wish to set for a few seconds to put it into set up mode. You then use the arrows to choose the setting you want and pressing select then moves it to the next setting. However, you have to be fairly rapid about making your selections as any tardiness results in the unit switching back to the radio station you are on without saving any of your selections. Switching off the alarm is challenging in a sleep befuddled state as all the switches are flush to the unit - it would have been better if this switch was proud so as to locate it easily.

Hence my rating would be Five Stars for an excellent little radio and One Star for a very poorly designed clock/alarm function to give Three Stars overall. A great shame, and if I was Aves I would go back to the drawing board and rethink the way this clock works because it would be quite easy to adapt this to make it into an excellent little clock radio.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A very easy to set up product. You literally plug and play; there really is nothing to set up and you just switch on. There are two separate alarms which work well, my husband has it set once for the time he should get up and then for the time he really needs to get up and these have worked well. If the radio can't get the DAB system it defaults to a buzzer so it does always go off. We've had it lose the signal several times and the buzzer is effective. Ours is programmed in for Radio 4 and it lets you know the programme you're listening to. The back lit screen is a bit too bright for me but it doesn't bother my husband. Looking at the other products available it seems to be good price wise but I am disappointed at how the signal keeps dipping - however it is difficult to identify if that is us or the product.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Aves Sugar Digital Radio Alarm Clock is the first digital radio I've owned, so the fact that it is also a digital radio alarm clock that can wake me up with the music channel of my choice seemed pretty fun to me. I set it up quickly, with a few button pushes it automatically tunes into all the available stations - all 20 of them and updated to the correct time, too. Admittedly some radio stations were clearer and louder than others, but with the extra wire antenna most of them worked loud and clear for me. I then went straight to the dual alarm set up, which was also pretty easy to programme, so I now have an alarm set for 6.00am and 7.00am each weekday morning with various snooze options, which suits both me and my husband's different waking habits.

The downside of this is that sometimes the alarm goes off and a radio station is 'out of range', so it cannot tune into a preset station to wake us up with - but the good thing is that the alarm still goes off and it beeps instead and we've never been late to work because of it!

My 'black sugar cube' is a nifty little thing, and I do like the way the LCD display will tell you not only what the time is, (although this is small to read) but it also says which record is playing as you listen. Something you don't get on other radios. Comes with an AV adapter and a quick start instruction guide. Sweet!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As expected from a clock radio, set up was fairly straightforward. It was particularly nice to find that the date and time were both automatically set virtually as soon as the radio was plugged in; that's something I really hate having to do manually. Only five DAB stations were found at first, although that increased to 17 when I moved the aerial to a different location and all were significantly clearer than their equivalent FM transmissions. The time and date are displayed clearly and are adequate for my requirements although it would have been preferable those to be in a slightly bigger font.

Many of the controls are fairly intuitive but I needed to consult the manual to work out how to set the two alarms initially (it is easy when you know how).

Each alarm can be set to sound once (date and time of your choosing); daily, weekdays or weekends and you can choose to be woken by either the FM or DAB radio or a beep. The loudness and tone of the beep can be adjusted to wake you with a figurative gentle prod to a level that will have you out of bed a little faster (although it is by no means one of the loudest alarms I've ever had, the degree to which the volume can be adjusted is pretty impressive). The snooze button allows the potential of a fairly standard nine extra minutes of slumber.

It is a small clock radio that doesn't occupy too much space on a bedside table, is easy to use (after a brief initial consult of the manual for the alarm function) and offers a good deal of flexibility with the dual alarm function. The DAB sound is pretty good as well.
on 10 March 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Only used this for one day before reverting back to our trusty 40 year old clock radio. The numbers are miniscule, can't be seen from a distance as they only show up when you press a button. Very difficult to operate, we tried for ages to get the radio to come on in morning but it wasn't having it, still wanted to come on to beep. Well, we like to wake up slowly with a bit of music and banter from Chris Evans so that put us off too. Be alright if you just wanted to use it as a little radio but not portable as it needs to be plugged in. Thought it may may have a battery back-up but if so we couldn't find it. Wouldn't recommend this at all.
on 6 September 2013
What appears to be a very attractive and functional item turned out to be a very disappointing purchase indeed.
The set-up procedure was very simple and the unit auto-tuned very satisfactorily and the audio quality was quite acceptable for such a small unit.
However, it was impossible to get the unit to store stations in preset mode and in addition, the display auto-dimmed after a minute or so to become completely illegible, useless to the extreme in daylight and hard to see in the dark.
Because of these problems, I am convinced that this particular unit was faulty so therefore it was returned under Amazon's return policy and a refund given immediately.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This radio looks like a cute licorice allsort and comes with an instruction book written in clear, full, grammatically correct English. For those reasons alone I took to it at once.

The Aves Sugar is quite easy to set up even for a dumbo like me - it comes with a three-pin plug, and an aerial that you just have to unwrap. It then scans for the correct date and time, and for the most easily located radio station. The radio works on FM as well as DAB which is great as in this area, DAB isn't necessarily the best option for our favourite channel. Once you've located a favourite you can save it, and several more, so that you can wake to the same channel each morning, and use other alternatives during the day, when the radio becomes just that - a radio.

The Aves Sugar has a blue light in the screen, which means it can double as a nightlight. It was particularly attractive to a certain young male in our family who has grown out of the nightlight he used to have but said he could 'put up' with this one. For my taste the light is really too bright, and especially, it's too bright to stare at in the hours of darkness, meaning that you can't comfortably check the time on this so-called clock/radio. In respect of the alarm, you can set it to go off twice, so you can have a 'best practice' alarm call and a 'worst case' alarm call, or, of course, it could be one for you and one for the Much Beloved.

This radio is not ideal for the visually disabled as the buttons are completely flat, so there is no way to feel for them, and the text is tiny and faint. For that, and for the very bright light in the night-time screen, I give it four stars rather than five - but otherwise, a great little item.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 19 March 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I think the most important thing to stress about this alarm clock is its compact nature - it's certainly smaller than any beside alarm clock that I've ever had (I'm sure there are smaller on the market somewhere), but it doesn't sacrifice any of its features. The sound quality is also crystal clear, and because it has a DAB digital radio (for those of you who have heard the recent radio adverts, no you cannot listen to DAB digital radio on a fish) there is no static interference. One thing I have noticed is that it doesn't always pick up the DAB signal, however this can be rectified by turning it off and on again.

Another thing which I like about it is the sleep function - nothing radical about this function I hear you say, and you'd be right. However, my previous bedside clock didn't have this (or DAB radio) and therefore more often than not, I'd wake up in the morning (or worse, in the middle of the night) with the radio still playing. Two separate alarm functions have also been built in for those of you needing that feature.

Overall, I'm very happy with this alarm clock as it fits my needs perfectly, however if I was to find a fault with it, I would say that the display would benefit from being a little bit brighter when it is on, as it is sometimes hard to read the display. Other alarm clocks have the feature where the display only dims when it is on standby or sleep mode has been activated, however this just seems to dim after 25 seconds or so after the last press of a button. Slightly annoying, but not fatal, so overall four stars from me!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A dinky little clock, that can be a bit fiddely to use.

It was easy to set up, as soon as its turned on it automatically sets the time itself. It also auto tuned all the radio channels for you.

The part that was not so easy was setting the alarm. Very awkward, and I had to refer back to the manual twice to get it right, it's not usually this hard to use something so easy as a clock! The buttons are rubber and very flat, so if you don't press right onto of the sensor under the button, nothing happens. This did result in some frustrated button mashing on my part at first!

Once you have sent the alarm once or twice though you soon get the hang of it. I was impressed that you can set the alarm for every week day. This means that the alarm is always set, but will only go off on work days, no more having to remember to set the alarm every night.

The alarm itself has an adjustable volume, but even at the max volume of 20 I actually still thought this was quite low, this may be a problem for heavy sleepers.

The illumination of the clock is very mellow, no more red glaring numbers like my old clock. The whole screen is constantly backlit with a very slight light. Now this doesn't bother me, but my partner has to have a pitch black room to sleep in so we have to put something in front of it, because it does sort of act as a night light. Great for kids, not so good for a grumpy 25 year old!

The radio itself was very clear, and no issues with the signal at all.

Overall, it's alright. It tells the time and gets me up for work, but its not the best model out there.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have an old AM/FM CD Clock Radio that I have had for years, the CD stopped working years ago, but use it for a radio alarm clock in the morning. Jumped at the chance to have a DAB radio/alarm to replace the unit.

This is a compact size and leaves a great space on my bedside cabinet, with just the power lead and arial trailing in its wake. Setup on DAB was straight forward, just pressed the scan button and off it went searching for stations. A few minutes later, the stations were listed. However, I could only receive half of them as they stated no signal. Just a case of where I live, in a dip with a big nature reserve in front with huge trees blocking any signals. However, as I only wake up to one station, it was OK for me. You can store 10 stations as favourite ones. The time automatically sets by syncing with the DAB signal.

You can set two alarms, either or both to come on once, daily, weekday or weekend. The alarm can either be Beeps, DAB or FM, and you can select the pre-stored favourite station to wake to. You even set the desired sound level to wake to, which for me 2 was perfectly loud enough. Hitting the snooze button will re-sound the alarm in 10 minutes.

The LCD has a blue background, with the text easy to read to see what station you are on and other information. A nice little clock radio --- however:-

The size of the time is small. It takes up less than a quarter of the screen. At night time you have to get close to actually see the time. I have resorted to wearing a cheap Casio watch with light to see the time in the dark. The date is displayed at the top of the screen, which in my opinion is not needed. It would have been better to have the screen filled with the time when in clock mode.
The buttons on the top are what seems to be behind a rubberised panel. This makes pressing the correct button when half a sleep very difficult. It would have been better to have either raised buttons or a clear gap between each one so that your fingers could actually feel the buttons with ease.
The manual leaves a lot to be desired. It only covers the basics and even then not very good at explaining it well.

A missed opportunity to make a good clock radio a great clock radio for the price.