on 30 December 2013
This iPad is not quite the most recent iPad (it's been upgraded to the iPad Air), but it's still an incredibly beautiful device. Oddly enough, it's so beautifully easy to use (my one year old daughter loves playing with it), it's almost doesn't feel like a computer at all.

A word of warning - this review is written for people who've never owned an iPad before - and are wondering what all the fuss is about. Don't read this if you already own an iPad and are thinking about an upgrade - I'd recommend you simply buy an Air.

Just what's all the fuss about?

I used to own a laptop for work, and (very occasionally), it'd sit on my lap on the sofa, and I'd use it for pleasure (eMail, watching films or playing the odd game). Then I bought my first iPad, and the laptop became redundant, a boring "work device". Hard to explain, but the fact the iPad is so small and light, and you navigate around with your finger by pointing and gently swiping the screen makes the whole experience a lot easier - a lot more fun.

Even my most "luddite" of friends have been won over.

It's incredibly simple and easy to use (it only has one main button), and everyone from my one year old daughter to my 85 year old dad have taken to without problems. It's size and shape also support using it like a book (literally to read a book or web page), but you can also watch TV and films.

Personally I'm also paranoid about my password getting "hacked", and someone running up a huge Amazon bill or buying stuff with my credit card on eBay. Well one of the benefits of the iPad (and iPhone) is it's "almost impossible" to get a virus - one of the most common ways to get hacked. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use strong passwords, (both Sony and Adobe got hacked), but it's reassuring to leave the Windows world behind.

Finally, I love the way these devices (iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Apple Mac), increasingly work together. The fact you can start a Pages document on your Mac and edit it on your iPad, or take photos on the iPhone, and in seconds see them on the iPad or Mac and display them on the Apple TV.

The thing is, "it just works".

What would you use if for?

* Shopping online. Obviously - you could be reading a review on Amazon about the iPad Air!
* Reading web pages. As you can hold it like a book it's great to read the news online (my wife loves the Daily Mail Online).
* Reading Books. It's great for reading books from Amazon Kindle or Apple Books with the benefit of 1,000s of online book reviews
* Navigating web pages. Instead of clicking with a mouse, you gently swipe your fingers on screen to scroll around
* Watching Films. I use it to watch Netflix online videos (with an Apple TV you can send stuff to the telly)
* Watching TV. With the free BBC iPlayer app you can catch up or download BBC programs
* Reading and replying to mail. I use "mailbox" a great free app to read and reply to mails, but there's a free one included
* Showing and organising photos. Any photos on an iPhone are automatically available within minutes in "the cloud"
* Playing games. From fun puzzle games like "Cut the Rope" to fully fledged first person shooters.
* Listening to the Radio. With "Tune in Radio" you can listen to thousands of radio stations world-wide.
* Listening to music. I stream mine to an Apple TV, but you can also buy portable speakers or just plug into the AUX socket
* The list goes on and on.

Which model should I buy?

I can't comment about Android tablets (apart from the Google Nexus 7 which is well regarded), but in terms of the Apple tablet line-up:-

iPad mini Size:-

* iPad mini is a lovely tablet. A 7.9 inch screen and astonishingly light and remarkably thin - it feels like a light-weight book.
* iPad mini with retina screen. Again 7.9 inch screen, but with the blazingly fast A7 chip and a "retina" (high definition) screen. Worth the upgrade if you can afford it.

Full Size iPad options. (much larger screen - makes a huge difference):-

* 1st Generation iPad. Seldom available new - best avoided - there's better options available
* 2nd Generation. Avoid the Apple iPad 2, it's a relatively old model, under-powered and with a lower resolution screen. If you really want an Apple but don't want to spend the cash, buy a 16g WIFI 3rd or 4th generation iPad from Amazon or eBay. Avoid this one.
* iPad 3rd Generation. First iPad with the "Retina" (high definition) screen. A5X chip. Excellent iPad - highly recommended
* iPad 4th Generation. With A6X chip. In short, not quite as fast as the latest chip but pretty zippy. Biggest difference is the smaller power socket and slightly faster processor.
* iPad Air. Same fast (A7) chip as the Mini with Retina - the latest and fastest iPad available. This has been re-designed to be even smaller than the iPad 2/3/4 and with the new chip making it even faster.

In terms of which to buy - if you want something REALLY small and light to read on the train, the iPad mini or retina is your best bet. Otherwise, the 3rd, 4th generation or iPad Air is your best option - depending upon your budget.

Me I've owned a 1st and 3rd generation iPad and most recently an Air. My daughter owns an iPad mini, and we've loved them all.

What are the Optional add-ons?

Well, assuming you've dropped by the Apple Store or John Lewis (which I would highly recommend), and handled the iPad Mini (with/without retina screen), and iPad 2 and Air then your options are around memory size and cellular option.

Memory: Once bought, you can't add memory (space for apps, films, books etc). However, the basic price goes up a huge amount (+£80 for the 16g to 32g iPad Air). But, having owned a 16g and then a 32g iPad - I can safely recommend the 16g unless you really want to store a huge amount of videos and downloads. Only you can decide, and if you're lucky enough that money is no object then splash out. Otherwise, 16g should be fine for most people.

Celular: Allows you to connect to the internet while you're out and about. This will add an additional +£100 to the price and means you can slip in a mobile phone SIM card. This means (for an additional £7-15 a month extra), you can access the internet on the move. Alternatively, you can opt for the WIFI option, and use it at home or at at "hot spot" (eg. Starbucks, most rail stations and hotels etc).

Personally I'd buy (and indeed did), the 16Gb iPad Air WIFI. But again, it depends upon your budget.

Do I need anything else?

Most people (me included) buy a cover. Apple (and now several copy-cats) make a "smart-cover" which automatically shuts down the iPad when you close it, and switches it on when you open it. There's versions which cover the back, or just the screen. Apple charge from £35 to £65 for their (admittedly) high quality fabric or leather covers, but there's many available from £10. Be aware, you do get what you pay for.

Personally,I think it's a pity to cover the beautiful aluminium industrial design of the iPad with a cover - but if you've spent hundreds of pounds you'll want to protect it from scrapes and bangs.

I also invested in a keyboard (£25-80), as I tend to write a lot of mails and documents (remember it comes with a word processor). I'd recommend (for the iPad Air) the Logitech Ultra Thin iPad Air Case with Keyboard - Space Greyand the ZAGG Keys iPad Air Case Folio with Backlit Keyboard - Black although these are strictly optional unless you want to use your iPad as a proper laptop.

Word of warning: If you're looking for a case or keyboard be sure to buy the correct size (they're all different):-

1. iPad mini size
2. iPad 2, 3 or 4th generation
3. iPad Air size

Finally, if you have another Apple device (eg. an iPhone, Apple TV or Mac) you'll find these work together beautifully. For example, you can create a reminder on your iPad and it appears on your iPhone. Equally, photos taken on your iPhone appear on your iPad, and you can stream music or videos from iPad, iPhone or Mac to an Apple TV.

One word of advice - make sure the entire family use the same "Apple iTunes Account" - but you all have a separate "iCloud Account". This means, when you buy an App, Music or Film on one iDevice its available to everyone, but you each have separate "Cloud Storage" to backup your iPad or store documents independent of each other. Incidentally, creating an iCloud account means your iPad is automatically backed up (no wires, no fuss) every time you charge it up. A wonderful feature - one of many.

Overall Opinion

It's hard to believe the iPad version 1 was released just four years ago, and there's a huge raft of "me too" tablet computers to choose from, but the Apple iPad is still the one to beat. As "Which?" magazine put it about the iPad Air - "...the best tablet we've ever tested. Apple packs a beautiful screen and lightning fast processor into a slimmer-than-ever shell, and battery life is very impressive".

Yes, there are cheaper Android based alternatives, but the quality, design and beauty of this tablet just sets it apart. If it were a car it'd be a top of the range Mercedes or a BMW. Looking at the iPad 3rd or 4th generation, you've not quite got the "latest version" - but it's still a top end tablet computer.

Obviously, depending upon your budget, buy the latest iPad available - but whichever one you buy you're sure to be delighted.

Highly Recommended.

PS. If you found this review useful, please click below. Feel free to comment or ask a question.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2013
Exactly as described - only downside just wish an instruction booklet had been included otherwise a great asset to my working day
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 December 2012
This is a review of the iPad 4, released just a couple of months ago, and really it should have been called the iPad 3.1 (except Apple doesn't use numbers anymore!). Having used both the iPad 3 and the iPad 4, the graphics are the same (the iPad 3 has a retina display as well) and the overall look is the same (once you upgrade the earlier version to iOS 6, that is).

I understand that the main internal difference is the processor speed, and the most obvious external difference is that the charging port has changed from the 30-pin version to a small Lightning Dock, which means that if you are upgrading from the iPad 3 or earlier, all of your accessories which went through the charger are not unusable.

Therefore, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade from the iPad 3, so is it worth upgrading from the iPad 2?

There are some nice additions compared with the iPad 2, but not enough, I think, for someone to upgrade. However, the gorgeous higher-resolution graphics make using this a really nice treat, and worth considering to pay the difference if you are considering the iPad 4 against the slightly cheaper iPad 2.

The video shows what you get in the box - I would suggest buying a screen protector (because even after 10 minutes you could clearly see the residue of fingerprints on the screen) and a case (to protect and enable you to prop it up).

It is surprising to me how much the iPad has been part of my home life. It makes checking emails and internet browsing You don't need to go to a big machine with a keyboard for casual searching - you can have something closer to a big book.

Secondly, using the iPad for emails is really good. The text is clear, and somehow the pictures seem more vivid, and you can just scroll going up and down with a flick of the finger rather than the organised gestures of the mouse. It may seem like no big difference, but it makes all the word of difference for ease and enjoyment.

I go the Wifi version rather than the 3G version because I am mostly in places which have Wifi (more and more common), but even if I need 3G connectivity, I can tether my iPhone to the iPad. It may cost a few pounds more a month when I use it, but it saves me a hundred pounds now.

I can confirm that both Screen Protector for Apple iPad 2 & 3, Includes Microfibre Cleaning Cloth And Application Card, 6 Pack and TeckNet® New iPad 4, iPad 3 & iPad 2 Premium Folio Leather Case / Cover and Flip Stand With Built-in Magnet for Sleep / Wake Feature + Screen Protector For New Apple iPad 4th Generation, iPad 3 & iPad 2 - Black both work for the iPad 4. I imagine that most, if not all, accessories for the iPad 2 will work for the iPad 4 (apart from those which use the charger, which won't work), but I can confirm that these work.

The battery life is amazing. I have used it for web surfing for several half hours, but only got down to 85% complete.

Overall, a very good investment, and something that I use every day (if only to read my books from the Kindle app - in colour).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 October 2013
Not disappointed.. Long battery life, go for big memory, you will use it, colour amazing for this novice.. Great for FaceTime etc. a treat.
on 17 August 2014
Was very dubious as this was so much cheaper than any where else by far and for the massive amount of memory, however, everything is perfect, all English plug etc, brand new sealed, great service and delivery and works perfect and other half loves it. sounds to good to be true, thankfully its not!
on 4 November 2013
I have had this 3 months now and a word of caution.
A lovely machine for which most of what has been positively said is true, nice screen, easy to use interface etc. BUT
1) rubbish data lead / charging cable
2) the WIFI version DOES NOT have a GPS chipset, so no using it as a Sat nav etc.and does not have a SIM card capability, so always bound to a router.
3) no easy to use "back" facility (only the black button, which closes the app) can be really infuriating.

Short- nice media tool, designed to link and sync to a more powerful computer, but no substitute for a decent laptop in terms of functionality. So £450 may be a bit much for something that will not save you the need to also have a decent laptop / desktop and is essentially and expensive add-on.
on 15 August 2013
if you are looking for a tablet, then this is just a perfect choice. I have been using it for 2 months now, can not find any fault, and it is so easy to use that i feel like I had it for years. best spent money ever . I didn't buy it on amazon so I can't rate the service. but the product is faultless. I recommend to go for 32 gb, so you can store enough files. I also use it every day as a wireless hotspot for my pc to connect to the internet, the speed is excellent. highly recommend!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Everyone tries to avoid Apple products, and condemn them of course, but I find that my Apple products make my life exceptionally easier in many ways. My iPods and now my iPads pretty much help me keep track of EVERYTHING going on in my life and what's going on around me.

Facebook, Emails, the Weather, your calendar (never miss a birthday or appointment, it'll alert you!), access to the internet at a swipe of the finger, being able to find things in your location by just speaking to it, using clocks, timers, online banking, stocks, calculating, word processing, notes and reminders, access to your bought music via the cloud, photos, video chat and apps that will make the complications in your life a lot easier to manage. Not to mention the games, the books available on kindle (as there's an app for it too), the podcasts, the videos on youtube. Now you have Amazon Prime/Lovefilm apps that let you both handle your rental lists and watch films on the iPad itself. All of this in one thin screen that you don't require anything more than a plug for to charge it (and obviously a wifi connection).

It might have limited memory (although I find it hard to fill up even with the masses of stuff I download/use) as it has no expandable memory slots, but the functions it provides you with more than make up for this. For someone very computer illiterate, this is the ideal tablet, it is very uncomplicated, everything is laid out, no fiddly buttons to learn to use, the settings are very easy to access.

I'd recommend this kind of tablet to people who have suffered with strokes, arthritis or ailments that have limited hand movement and hand strength as this really is so sensitive it takes very little work to get things running and gives so much access to a lot of things. I'd also recommend this as the perfect computer for the entire family to enjoy (although granted, they may start fighting over it). I've seen one year olds being able to use these things (this isn't an exaggeration), two and three year olds using iPads accessing a vast word of educational videos on youtube and educational games on the app store (many free!) at the swipe of a little finger. Parents and adults have access to do online shopping, their banking, keeping a tab on schedules and reminders right on the go, not needing to refer to books or calendars hanging on the walls at home. Not to mention the use of apps like Skype and Facetime to contact relatives and friends abroad without it even costing a THING. Many I know take their iPads into the kitchen to refer to recipes WHILE they cook so they can follow instructions/videos precisely.

There's just so much you can do with an iPad that you can't do with a regular laptop or computer as quickly or as accessibly (granted, the world of gaming isn't as sophisticated on iPad as it is on PC, that's the only real drawback). I just don't know how I ever did without mine, it keeps me up to date with everything I need, it doesn't take up a lot of space and it's so quick to find whatever I need to. I can't find much fault in the thing, I just absolutely love it.

For those who are struggling to pick between iPhone or iPad, get the iPad and get a cheap phone to cover simple things like calling and texting as the iPad does EVERYTHING except let you text and call (unless you're on wifi or a hotspot, and you can do it for free).

It's expensive, but a very sound investment and you'll find a million uses for it more than just as a music/video device. Highly recommended...everyone should have one.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 2014
Product exactly as described , excellent delivery and we'll packaged. Good value as I had paid same price for my 16gb version initially
Only criticism is against Apple , ridiculous need to buy new iPad just to upgrade the memory , especially when many people only bought 16/32 gb as 64gb short supply at time.
on 13 April 2014
This was a replacement for my iPad 1. A shame I had to replace it as there was nothing wrong with the hardware just the apps were becoming incompatible. The iPad 4 is as great as he other was. A great price too. Would recommend.