Published 19 months ago by ziggy starburst

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor product, waste of money.
Published 13 months ago by ECC

4.0 out of 5 stars UPDATED jan '14 Design fault! Stunning sound. Brilliant at a price, 5 Dec. 2013
I've left the original review as it was after this paragraph so here's the update posted January 2014. Well, it appears that the alarm bug was down to APPLE. There has been a slight update for the phone over the past few weeks and I'm pleased to say that the alarm now works in the dock without the dock shutting down and muting the alarm so it's a great dock. The price seems to be going up and up but for the price I paid its a 5 star product but it's fairly pricey at its current price of around £80. Original review follows....

Tricky to review this one. I think the original price of this is around £90 which is a no go but this can now be bought for around £30 everywhere. At £30 (I paid £20) it's a brilliant buy if you want to charge your phone and listen to a bit of music in a bedroom. The sound is very neutral and doesn't suffer horrible "bass boost" like 99% of other docks. For its size is the best dock I've heard. I auditioned a £700 b&w dock and it's was terrible, not worth £100. Overblown bass, splashy treble and no mid range. The jbl really shines at low volume levels. Really shines. It fails at higher levels though so it won't be good for filling a room. Build quality is superb with rubber rails on the bottom to prevent slipping. The lightning connector is hinged so you don't feel your snapping the internals of the phone when inserting or removing it. It also works with cases too. Not all cases obviosly but if you have an open bottomed case like a lot of the belkin cases you will be fine. If your case has cut outs for the speakers and dock port you may struggle. So why the 3 stars? Most people will want to charge their phone overnight and use it as an alarm whilst it's charging. You cannot do this with this dock. It may be an apple stipulation (hoping you will buy their licenced poor quality cable only for £15. apple greed strikes again). So if you set your alarm while it's docked the alarm will not sound. This is due to a power saving feature which puts the dock into standby??? My guess is that is why it's so heavily discounted now. You can't use it for what most dock users need it for. If you just want a neat charger rather than leave the phone on a table then this is a great buy and costs the same as 2 nasty cheap apple cables. Great shame about the standby glitch. Without this big caveat it would get 5 stars easily. But would it be £30?

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor product, waste of money., 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: JBL OnBeat Micro Portable Speaker Dock with Lightning Connector and UK/EU Mains Adapter for iPhone 5, 5S, 5C, iPod Touch 5th Generation and iPod Nano 7th Generation - Black (Electronics)
Complete waste of money. Bought this to use with an iPod nano 7g. The product looks good and is a good compact size, and was easy to set up. For the first few minutes my ipod played ok on it and the sound was decent for the price, but after a couple of songs it just started to make a crackling sound while the music was playing (as if you were listening to a badly tuned radio station). I tried pausing and replaying, forwarding to the next song or going back a song, but found the only way to clear it was to undock the iPod and turn off the unit, then start again. This would have been ok if it was a one off, but this happens on a continual basis, after every 3-4 songs. To be honest I would have returned the product only for it would have cost me too much to post it back, and from researching, it doesn't appear that I received a faulty unit, it appears to be a common problem with this item. I suppose the lesson is that you get what you pay for really, and I would have given this no stars if I could have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit with iPhone 5 lightning connector, 11 July 2014
Malcolm Todd (UK) - See all my reviews
Great sound quality, indeed very loud, so you will need to turn down the volume of the device. I use it for charging and playing music etc on my iPhone 5 and it's great, only slight disadvantage it that if like me, your phone is in a case you will need to take it out to attach it as there is no room in the connection aperture for anything but a thin cover. But to be honest this is a small complaint as everything else is of a good quality/spec

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Jun. 2013
Bought this for my son's birthday. He has an iPhone 5 and wanted to listen to music in his room. So far so good, connection is good, sound reasonable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound quality for the price, charges phone also, but lacks travel case the old model had., 28 April 2015
I do a lot of travelling and staying in hotels and I always took with me a previous generation version of this JBL docking station. The old model charged the phone and was very reliable piece of kit [although I did have to replace the mains adaptor after around 2 years of heavy usage]. I bought this updated version because of the constant need to have an adapter to accommodate the new lightning connection on the new iPhone. It is smaller and chunkier then my old JBL "doughnut" docking station, but has controls recessed, which is a better feature as far as I am concerned. Very easy to use and it also charges an iPhone/iPod when connected. The mains adaptor looks a bigger, more robust unit than the one that came with the older model, but early days yet, as all of these types of mains adaptor tend to suffer from the same problem where the cable goes into the main transformer case that plugs into the wall socket. Constant use puts a lot of flexing on this joint which eventually leads to the cable breaking down, and repairing this is not straightforward as the transformer box tends to be glued together to prevent user entry.
Regarding the sound quality, I also have a Bose Mini bluetooth speaker that cost around 4 times what I paid for the JBL so I am able to compare the sound with that, along with the sound of the previous JBL doughnut. The Bose has a much richer bass and sounds "bigger" and more detailed than both the JBL units, and for general listening sets a bit of a benchmark for this type of product. Listening to the two JBLs side by side there is very little difference in sound quality. Both lack a bit of depth in the bass area and both can sound a bit over-bright when you crank the volume up. When used to play back radio broadcasts the spoken word is clear and natural. For the price I would say the sound quality is pretty good. Couple of gripes; the old unit came with a travel case and this one does not. As I spend a lot of time travelling, having a cloth case to protect the unit from knocks and scratches was very useful. I found that the travel case supplied with the old model is fine for the new one. Also the old unit had a remote control pad which this one does not have, although personally I hardly ever used it. This is an excellent value for money product. I would have given it 5 stars but for the lack of travelling bag.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, black one is nicer, 3 Jun. 2014
Good sound quality and easy of use. Have now two and black one is nicer. White one does not have this clean, pure white look. Perhaps it just black from the holes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive sound for the price, 17 July 2014
H Hinchy - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After recently upgrading from an iPhone 4 to a 5, I found my old portable speaker dock redundant due to the lightening connector.

I wanted something simple, compact and with a decent sound that would also charge my phone and this speaker dock definitely ticks all of those boxes.

It's a nice, simple design and slotted into a small space nicely in my kitchen. The phone sits on the connector nicely although wasn't happy with the plastic case on my phone so this has to be removed when sitting on the dock. Sound is very impressive - very loud yet crisp and clear. Much better than my old speaker dock which was triple the price and very bulky.

Would very much recommend - amazing sound quality for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does not work as an alarm speaker, 20 Nov. 2013
Speaker is fine, but switches into standby mode after 10 minutes and mutes the speaker on the iPhone. Crazy design - this would be the ideal speaker/stand to use together with an alarm clock app - and they've designed that option out of their product. Insane JBL! Do not buy if you want to use on the bedside together with an alarm app.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boosts my phone signal., 6 Dec. 2014
We have had this for a while now and really just used it as a dock to charge the iPhone from and play a bit of music through. We have just moved house and cannot get a mobile signal anywhere in the house - until I put my phone in the speaker to charge. Not sure how or why and I can't see anyone else mention it in the reviews,but it must boost my signal as when in the speaker I get 2 bars of signal strength and can actually send and receive texts. Very happy now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised as to quality of sound!, 31 Dec. 2014
I've had this dock for a number of months now. Bought it at a very good price - around £30 - I had low expectations at that price and it totally surprised me! We use it in our kitchen and stream music through it via our iPod or iPhone - the sound quality is extremely good for such a small speaker dock. It has a lovely full sound and is an excellent product.