on 24 April 2003
Buckley was evidently a master magi and this work is suitably advanced. I've been doing card magic for some time and I found some of the stuff impossible. It's not tremendously well laid out, the descriptions are hard to follow and the pictues confusing. I know a lot of magicians seem to like this sort of thing so they can pride themselves on finding obscure stuff etc but if a book is written to explain then it should do it better than this. Most of the tricks ("experiments" as he calls them) are unlikely to be stunning as described but a showman can make them brilliant. I wouldn't buy this unless you are already advanced in the art
on 11 October 2002
This is a 'classic' in the magic world and I read it many years ago and to be honest I did not find the material particularly outstanding. It is definately not for the beginner BUT more for those with intermediate to advanced skills. I will probably have another go with it now as I hope time & practice has improved my skills. Nevertheless, the book is well written for its time and the diagrams are quite useful in understanding the concepts being written about.
on 22 April 2014
At first flick through, in casual examination you can tell this short book has a lot of useful and creative techniques in it. As an added bonus there are some small notes on presentation and performance, but overall the prose heavy nature of the work renders it pretty confusing. To make things worse I handle cards left handed, that is pack in right hand, so I'm constantly having to reword instructions in my mind. Despite this I know the flaw is with my lack of patience with regard to grasping the techniques, not in the techniques themselves, so I'm keen to go over it as often as it takes to unlock some old school gems.
on 10 November 2015
I found the explanations hard to follow and the images didn't seem to help either.
Although nowadays there's plenty of youtube tutorials, so I use this book to learn the names of the sleights and when I don't understand the explanation I simply hope that someone somewhere had done a video explaining it.
I start thinking that the explanation in these kind of books are hard to understand, this should have been a video explaining the moves.
on 12 August 2001
This book will take a while to master but the sleights taught are priceless. Dovetail shuffles, DL's. There are tricks using the sleights and also a chapter devoted to manipulations...
on 17 January 2010
i am not a kid i just didnt want my name to be revealed

anyway, this is an outstanding book containing hundreds of advanced card sleights. this book in no way warrants a three star rating just for being advanced - if anything that means it should deserve a five star rating as it is very difficult to come across many advanced card work books. there are many invaluable sleights, especially if you are into card cheating, such as the 'draw shift' which i have never encountered anywhere else.
on 27 April 2013
This book is full to brims with brilliant gambling moves and sleights for magic. It also contains many tricks in the back of the book that use the sleights taught in the book. Every thing is really well explained with pictures to follow along with.
Buy it!!
on 22 November 2013
It is worth the money. I didnt spend too much money on this book and I get a lot of return. The sleights in there are very cool
on 30 August 2015
Very good condition not read book but looks very useful