5.0 out of 5 stars The best Koontz book
This was the second Koontz book that I ever read and definitely the best. Here he weaves a tale which grips right from the off and never lets go! He creates such believable and lovable characters( and also some detestable people too!) that you can't help but turn the page to see just where he takes them. This book's heroine, Laura Shane, seems so real that you want to...
Published on 15 Feb 2000 by Mark Pearce

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for Koontz
I am a huge Dean Koontz fan but this is not his best by any means. The basic plot behind this is good enough for Dean Koontz but much of the story is disappointing for him. The first 50% is all about the lead character's early life and rather miserable, already she doesn't have a mother, then her father dies and terrible events happen to her in an orphanage. These are not...
Published 13 months ago by Beach girl

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just perfect - excellent edge of your seat thrill ride!, 5 Jan 2008
Mary Chrapliwy (NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lightning (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first Dean Koontz book I've ever read. I avoided his books in the past because I thought they were purely horror. Then a friend advised me to read this one. What a great book!

The main character in this book is Laura. When this book opens we are at the moment of her birth -- a handsome stranger appears and stops a drunk doctor from going to the hospital to assist in her delivery. He is very polite and kind to the drunk doctor as he ties him to a chair and calls the hospital to let them know he won't be going there to deliver her. As a result she is delivered by other doctors, mother dies in childbirth, and a sweet wonderful father is the only remaining family she has. Through her life a few major incidents occur where this kind stranger appears and saves her from danger. Who is this man who arrives in a flash of lightening? Laura begins to think of him as her guardian angel.

Throughout this well written tale we see Laura wed and have a wonderful little boy. The guardian angel appears sporatically in her lifetime. As an adult she begins to wonder just where he comes from.

I won't tell you more as it would spoil the rest of the plot. The book had lots of twists and turns, an enormous amount of suspense, a love story, and an element of science fiction/fantasy that'll keep you glued to your seat. Once you start reading you won't want to stop. This is a great story no one should miss. After you finish reading it you'll find yourself saying to your friends as I have: "you've GOT to read this book!"

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT, 14 April 2000
This review is from: Lightning (Paperback)
This was the 1 st book I read of his,leant to me by a friend. I was hooked from that moment on. This bookkept me guessing until the very end , as soon as I finished it , I read it again . Since then one other book of his nearly comes close - "Strangers"

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliance, 22 July 2000
This review is from: Lightning (Paperback)
I have read all his novels and they are all superb, lighting is in a class of it's own. A rollarcoaster of emotion, and a thoroughly excellent book. Dean Koontz at his best

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, I revisited this after number of years ..., 21 July 2014
This review is from: Lightning (Kindle Edition)
Great read, I revisited this after number of years and actually enjoyed it more second time round. An adventure, sci fi and romance rolled into one

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read., 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lightning (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant, couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the great pieces of Fiction, 30 Nov 2000
This review is from: Lightning (Paperback)
I read this book in 1989 when it was a new paperback release. It was my 2nd Koontz book (The Mask been the first). At the time I was 21 and hadnt really read much since I was 12 (Teenage years you tend to leave the mudane things like reading). But this book got me back into reading and I havent stopped since. It is the best Koontz book although Midnight is a close second. I have read everything he has produced before and since but nothing since has matched Lightening (or Midnight). He is still a great writer. You never know when you start a Koontz book if you are going to get horror, science fiction, thriller etc etc and sometimes you dont know till the end. He really is the master. The Lightening story never stops from page 1 to the end and keeps you enthralled throughout. If ever you should read a piece of fiction this is your book. Believe it or not I havent read it since 1989 as I have had a lot other Koontz (also Laymon another excellent writer in the Koontz style) books to read but after reading the reviews in Amazon, I think its time I dusted it down and read it again. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Interesting but confusing

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst Koontz I've read, and I've read a lot., 22 Feb 2011
This review is from: Lightning (Paperback)
Page after page of filler. Not much happens for almost 200 pages. Worse than Brother Odd. If you are new to Koontz, read a different one. Try Odd Thomas, which I think is a cracking read. Life Expectancy was also more tense and a better story. Lightning is more like a mediocre idea that Koontz has padded out out with a bland character study of Laura Shane. By the end of the book I still felt as though I didn't really know Laura, and I certainly didn't care about the outcome. Bland. Disappointing. Should have trusted my instincts and put it down after 50 dull pages. Still, the other reviewers seem to like it. Who's right? You decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars WHY HAVE THEY NOT MADE A FILM OF THIS BOOK., 16 April 2001
This review is from: Lightning (Paperback)
This is by far the best book I have ever had the pleasure to read. It was my first Koontz book and it got me hooked. Watchers, Strangers, and The Bad Place all come a close second, but pick up any one of this writers books and you won't be disapointed. THANK YOU MR KOONTZ.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book i've ever read!, 6 Aug 2000
This review is from: Lightning (Paperback)
If you only ever read one Dean Koontz book make it this one.The tale of Laura Shane and her special guardian will keep you guesing and enthralled throughout. I'ts obvious from the start that her guardian is a time traveller but you'll never guess where from. I could not put this down, I read it in one day and have read it twice since!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›