on 16 November 2013
Rebecca is my favourite book, so well written and I never tire of reading it. Over the years I have bought so many copies and every time I move and downscale I lose another copy. Now I have it on kindle it goes everywhere with me. Daphne Du Maurier is an excellent writer and never lets you down. This omnibus is Du Maurier at her best.
on 18 March 2015
No-one writes like du Maurier. Her work is full of suspense only you don't realise it until lthe end. The characters are finely drawn, the plot keeps you guessing and although you don't want it to end, you have to keep turning the pages - it is mesmerising. My favourite writer.
on 20 April 2016
Rebecca
A young girl working as companion to a wealthy American woman in Monaco meets Maxim de Winter, a rich and handsome widower who asks her to marry him. But how can she possibly compete with the beautiful, witty Rebecca, the first Mrs de Winter, who had all the social poise and elegance the narrator, with her crippling lack of self-confidence, does not?

Although I can sympathise with the narrator's continual fantasies, second-guessing other people's reactions to her (I have been known to do it myself), it does get tedious after a while. The story after the big reveal does raise uncomfortable questions about where the reader's sympathies should lie. The narrator, if not the author, wants our sympathies to go in one direction but should they?

There were obvious echoes of "Jane Eyre", which I re-read last year, but not as many echoes as I thought from my memory of "Rebecca" from when I read it 35 or so years ago.

My Cousin Rachel:
Philip Ashley's cousin and foster father, Ambrose Ashley, travels to spend the winter in Italy for the sake of his health. There he meets and marries a distant cousin, Rachel, the widow of an Italian count. He stays in Italy for a year longer than he had planned and then dies before he can come home again. Are his last letters home due to paranoia brought on by a brain tumour, or is Rachel really up to no good? Philip must decide when Rachel comes to stay with him.

Spoiled by what seems to me to be a major plot hole: Wouldn't the will leaving the estate to Philip have been invalidated by Ambrose's subsequent marriage, so Rachel as his wife would have got everything anyway?
on 11 November 2013
I loved these two books. I had read them both before many years ago. I think I preferred My Cousin Rachel. I was surprised as I have always loved Rebecca.
on 29 May 2013
As first attempt on a Kindle I did not understand how the percentage worked and kept thinking I must be further through than 45% when the story was almost over! Had not factored in that this was an anthology and all of My Cousin Rachel was to come - found that quite off-putting. Found the notes at the end fascinating, as knew very little about Daphne du Maurier's life.
on 16 May 2015
Rebecca and My Cousin Rachel. I have read these two books more than once and I enjoy them every time. The writing is elegant and the plots are enthralling.
on 31 March 2013
Really enjoying this book, a snapshot of life in earlier times. A lovely love story, I wonder what the second Mrs.de Winter name was?....
on 10 May 2016
A compelling read, which had me gripped right up until the unexpected ending. A lesser-known du Maurier work, but well worth reading.
on 7 November 2015
I bought this for my wife. BIG mistake. She cannot stop reading it. I want my tea! She loves Daphne du Maurier works.
on 22 November 2014
It was an excellent story with interesting characters, beautifully written, which I found it difficult to put down.