5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by remote
Published 19 months ago by Dave McA

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Philips DVP3990/05 HDMI 1080p Upscaling DVD Player with DivX Ultra & USB Playback (Electronics)
I purchased this DVD player recently because I wanted to view my DVD collection in HD 1080p and I have no intention of buying a Blu-Ray player as new technologies are already being developed to replace Blu-Ray and it took me years to replace my video tapes with DVD's so decided a cheaper and more sensible option would be this upscaling DVD player. Firstly this a no frills do what it says on the tin player. The price I paid was £40 so I was not expecting that much, however it is smallish compact but looks good with it's black finish and the DVD tray is reasonable not quite as flimsy as some players I have had in the past. The remote is small easily fitting into the palm of your hand I guess this is because Philips equipment generally works with one main controller for all devices so the remote is in case you do not have that ability. Now the good stuff the picture quality is sharp and precise colours and details are revealed in DVD's I watched previously that I never even knew existed. It had breathed new life into my movies. I was not overly concerned before because until recently my TV was of an older design (CRT) and had faded brightness. The old bus was on the way out and I finally replaced it with a full HD (1080p) 32" LCD flat-screen. so now I wanted HD films without paying the premium for a Blue Ray player. I am generally pleased with this machine and I do recommend this device for purchase. I must point out that if you have the budget a Blu Ray player does also up scale DVD's to full HD as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, decent support for video formats, 7 Sep 2013
Lucky Kaa (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought one of these because I wanted an inexpensive DVD player that can play video from USB

It's an inexpensive DVD player that can play videos from USB. Seems to work with Xvid, DivX, and MPEG2, and handles AAC, and mp3 codecs quite happily. No support for Mkv of WMV, or h264, but wasn't really expecting there to be. Also doesn't handle resolutions higher than PAL, but again this wasn't a surprise.

Can be made multi-region by selecting setup, highlighting preferences, pressing next, prev, next, prev and selecting region 0.

Remote is small but has the essential buttons and only needs one battery (supplied). No numbers or multi-angle support though. And you will need to supply a cable (SCART, HDMI or composite).

5.0 out of 5 stars good purchase, 5 Mar 2013
easy to use, sleek design, good quality,
good picture and sound quality
easy to install and very much recommended
A+

5.0 out of 5 stars cool dvd player, 1 May 2013
very nice little machine lightweight and small remote easy to use and comes with battery, usb on the front is handy

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb DVD Player, 17 Jun 2013
I have this DVD player in the bedroom and is just brilliant. Picture quality is great as is the sound and although not as fast as using on a computer, allows you to transfer MP3 files directly onto your music player from a CD.

I watch DVD's at night and this has a handy sleep feature which is a bonus and even better is that there is very little noise from the unit when running unlike my last player which sounded like a tank was coming!

The DVD player looks good and yes, is maybe a little basic perhaps but if your after quality picture and sound then this is an excellent choice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by remote, 1 Jun 2013
Excellent DVD player with very good upscaling. Playing CDs through hi-fi yields excellent sound. However, the supplied remote is of appalling quality - too small, shodily made & lacking in functions e.g. volume is just one button rather than up & down. I was also disappointed by the player's led display - just elapsed time with no track number when playing CDs (you need to have the TV on for this). Poor quality (blocky) on screen graphics also. Shame that Philips spoiled an otherwise great bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars really great dvd player, 7 Mar 2013
C. Haymes (swansea, wales) - See all my reviews
bought it as a second dvd for my children. plays any format especially divx
small and compact
would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value DVD player, 28 Feb 2014
I bought this for my bedroom to replace a Lidl one that died. It works well and, importantly for me, remembers where I got to through the DVD when I turn it on next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works better than I thought, 9 Feb 2014
Excellent quality does exactly what I wanted, clear picture and the USB slot is an added bonus. Would recommend this product to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars very small, 3 Feb 2014
nice design , small and sleek and works well , would reccommend this as a main dvd player and usb mp3 support easy to use too

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›