5.0 out of 5 stars The best Bass/Audiophile grade headphones for the money.
There are some incredibly detailed reviews regarding the sound so I won't say much about it. As a bass-head, I am incredibly satisfied with these. My previous bass heavy headphones always compromised on the other ends of the spectrum but not the M-100's.

If you are looking for reference/studio grade headphones mainly for music production, I wouldn't be too sure...
Published 9 months ago by Abdul

3.0 out of 5 stars Warm, Inconsistant, Dull but Fun at the same time! Read on!
I have heard over 10 different sets of these headphones and about 3 of the 10 have a different signature!

The first set I own was warm, bassy with mids that sounded like they where coming through a tube! They didn't sound balanced and the treble was rolled off creating loss of detail! Now I've heard a few people have thus experience mostly when the headphones...
Published 18 months ago by Ryanr1987

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars First Headphones, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: V-MODA Crossfade M-100 Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal headphones - White Silver (Electronics)
This is my current timeline of Earphones/Headphones:

Shure SE310 Isolating Earphones (Lasted 10 Months before falling apart)
Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220 Earphones (Lasted 12 Months before falling apart)
Denon AH-C260 (Lasted 12 Months before falling apart)
V-MODA Crossfade M-100 (Current)

Overview

I used to buy Sound Isolating Earphones exclusively. I just did not see the point in buying headphones. They looked so bulky and cumbersome to carry around I did not believe they would be worth the effort. Sound Isolating Earphones are portable and convenient to carry around I just got used to the convenience of having them plus they are the best when it comes to sound isolating. However I was getting fed up of having to clean them all the time it does not matter how clean your ears are the silicone/foam pieces are going to get dirty eventually. I also found the build quality to be average at best. It was only a matter of time before they started to fall apart either the sound would go from one side or the whole thing would just get flimsy. On average they would last a year and then I would have to replace them. For the price I was paying for them I expected better.

The V-MODA Crossfade M-100's are the first pair of over the ear headphones I have ever bought for myself. I made the decision to buy headphones while watching the London 2012 Olympics and seeing all the athletes with their headphones on, some of them giving free publicity to a certain brand which everyone is familiar with! They are both a fashion statement and of course they sound good too. I took a gamble buying these headphones because I did not have a chance to try them out in store because right now they are not available in the UK. I bought them direct from V-MODA because amazon did not have the white colour in stock back then. I have owned these headphones for 9 days as I received them on the 18 January 2013. This has given me the chance to burn them in so now I can get the best out of them. It took a while for them to come because the demand is so high for them right now which is more than justified considering how popular they are. They were definitely worth the wait in my opinion.

Prior to purchasing these headphones I was debating between buying the Sennheiser Momentum, Logitech Ultimate Ears 6000/9000 and the Sony MDR1R NC. The decision was not easy to make because all of them are great headphones. Personally I just preferred the look of the M-100's especially the white one. It just had that cool cyborg look about it and the way the hinge works when it snaps into such a small form factor just sold it for me as well as the raving reviews here on amazon, head-fi and youtube.

Unboxing and First Impressions

The box is nice and minimalistic there is a red ribbon to cut before you can take out the contents. My first impression when seeing the M-100's was WOW! They have a real premium expensive look about them on first glance. I love the white colour! In my opinion design wise they can easily compete with the Dr Dre Beats range. These headphones can also have customizable shields which you can buy. So if you wanted to you could have any design you want and match it with your outfit although they already look fantastic! It comes with a 1 button mic cable, shareplay cable, 1/4 adaptor, V-Corks and a carry case. I have an android phone and the 1 button mic cable works with it which is great because usually only IOS devices are supported with audio products. The exoskeleton carry case is very cool it's amazing how these headphones can fit into such a small form factor. The small carry case even has room to hold all of the accessories! The V-Corks are for mixing two sources at the same time or combined headphones with other people. The can also be used to seal and protect the unused input which apparently improves the audio although I have not tried it.

Build Quality

The build quality is very good they say that it's built like a tank and tested Beyond Military-Level Quality MIL-STD-810G Test Standards. It feels very sturdy compared to a few headphones I have tried in the past which feel like they are going to break if you are not careful. V-MODA offers a 2 Year + Immortal Life 50% warranty which is apparently double the industry average.

Comfort

I would say my ears are about averaged sized. The M-100's are pretty comfortable I would say. I can listen to them for hours without any fatigue or discomfort. The ear cups use memory foam so they adjust to your ear which is good for long listening periods. However the ear cups are not as big as other headphones so comfort will vary from person to person. The weight feels fine to me it's not too heavy on my head. I have to admit that I have felt some clamping force but that is usually after extended use. Some people have said that their ears get sweaty but I am yet to experience that. The headband can be bent outwards to get a better fit and more comfort but I am yet to try it. I would prefer not to risk damaging my new headphones even though I'm sure they could take it!

Personally I think that over ear headphones are better for your hearing anyway especially in extended usage scenarios. In ear earphones tend to hurt my eardrums after long listening periods even when the volume is normal and they tend to fall out every now and then. Over ears do not go inside of the ear so while the sound isolating might not be perfect it is less likely to cause fatigue.

Sound Quality

I like to listen to music as much as everybody else but I would not call myself a true audiophile like so many professionals out there. My preference of music is Rap and Hip-Hip although I do listen to everything and did try out a variety of music during my burn in period. The M-100's biggest selling point is its bass and it most definitely does not disappoint there! I am a real bass head which is why I love these headphones so much but unlike the Dr Dre Beats range the bass is not completely overpowering there is a lot of clarity as well. All of my music sounds so much better I am listening to everything and hearing so much difference it's almost like having brand new ears and being able to experience life from a better perspective. The bass is there when it needs to be and when it's not required you get to hear the song and vocals with very good clarity.

The M-100's are so good that they can significantly improve the way you hear your music it's almost like having an orchestra in your head. They are so good that they will expose poor bitrate music for what it is so it's best to have high quality CD ripped music.

Sound Leakage

This was a very important feature for me it was one of the main decisions for me when buying headphones I did not want them to leak a lot of sound. The sound isolation is analogue which means there are no batteries or artificial processing to block out external noise which apparently changes the quality of the music. Instead V-MODA has designed them so that they limit sound leakage.

On extremely high volumes they definitely leak sound but then you should not be listening to music that loud unless you want to become deaf! For listening to music at normal volumes the sound leakage prevention seems to be fairly good. I have not tested this thoroughly although I have had some people say they can't hear what I'm listening to when they have been a few feet away from me. You need to be right up close to the headphones before you can hear any sound leakage it seems.

Sound Isolation

These headphones do NOT block out all sounds which means you will be able to hear what is going on in the outside world. That might be a problem for some people who would prefer to only hear the music and nothing else but for me this is not an issue. I like to be aware of what's going on outside so I don't come off as completely clueless it also makes them perfect for commuting because you don't have to worry about not hearing something important. With the headphones on and no music playing you can hear everything although it is quieter obviously. When you play music with the headphones on most of the outside noise gets blocked out. Depending on the volume you will hear pretty much all of your music with no distraction or background noise whatsoever even on normal listening levels. Sound isolation is not a problem at all.

Conclusion

The V-MODA M100's are one of the best purchases I have ever made they are a significant upgrade from my average Sound Isolating Earphones and were well worth the premium I spent on them. Build quality alone should ensure that they last a very long time. My only real issue is the clamping force which happens sometimes but not all the time. I think it depends on the way you adjust the headphones on your head and the length of time you wear them because I don't always experience it and when it does happen it is not bad enough for me to want to take them off my head straight away.

It's happened once when I felt like my ears were burning luckily that was a rare occurrence I have not had anything like that happen lately. I don't see this issue as a deal breaker in my opinion. The only other issue I have is that the white exoskeleton carry might get dirty easy which is to be expected, mine seems to have a few faded marks but again this is not a deal breaker the most important thing is the headphones and I am more than pleased with them.

I also like the fact that the headphone cables are made of Kevlar. This makes them very durable and strong they do not tangle easily. Also the cables are fully detachable from the headphones so if there is a problem with the cable you only need to buy a new one and not replace the whole headphones. It also means that if you accidently pull on the cable the headphones won't get damaged only the cable will come out.

These headphones have my seal of approval if you are looking for something that is fairly affordable, has amazing sound, great design and above average build then check out the V-MODA M-100!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 13 Nov. 2014
Good sturdy headphones. Sound quality is excellent! Not bass heavy and doesn't distort When the volume is cranked up! Fit really well and really good on blocking outside noise.
Only downside is the cables comes with. Is it too short and don't feel great quality. Would prefer if They came with a curled cable... Especially for the price that your paying these headphones.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like having bionic ears -- especially excellent fr EDM and other electronic music, 6 Dec. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Build: 5/5

Astonishingly reassuring - everything is made from very lightweight - but incredibly strong - metal. The only bit of plastic on these cans is on the ear cups, and that had a metal plate covering most of it. They have been extensively drop-tested, and have been built to a military standard. These headphones aren't going to let you down. There are no corners cut here: when I look at some of the equivalent models from other companies and I see the amount of plastic on them, I start to realise that these ones are a really good buy: they'll last a lifetime. The matt black ones are beautifully understated: even the logo is printed black on black, with only the gloss to draw the eye. Gorgeous. Like a cross between a sleek tank and a stealth bomber.

The headband is incredibly flexible - you can bend or twist it as much as you dare without the slightest fear of permanently warping them.

Portability: 5/5

They fold incredibly small - this is due to some special hinges, I think. It feels like a weapon of some sort, as it gives a very satisfying metallic click as they fold up. The design is ingenious, and the accompanying case protects them from scuffs. I'd say that they're at least a third smaller than you'd expect when folded. There's a pleasure in touching cold, hard metal too. They feel engineered rather than built. The case is similarly compact, and pleasing to the eye; it fits nicely in the hand, and has a carabiniere attached for easy connection to baggage etc.

Comfort: 4/5

The cushions are very comfortable, and the cans are light, but after four or so hours my head felt a little squeezed; they fit right around the ear (not quite the case with the Sennheiser Momentums for ewample), and at times I can feel my ears touching the driver housing. Not at all bad though - I wouldn't be inspired to wear many of my pairs of headphones for that long.

Style: 5/5

Very adaptable. In a typically eccentric move, V-Moda have designed these cans with replaceable metal guards (they come in a variety of colours, and can be ordered with your own design engraved on them with a laser for about £30. This sounds a bit unnecessary, but take the time to see some of the finished results and I'm sure you'll see what potential this idea has. I love the fact that there's very little plastic or logo fetishism on display - if you compare these to other makes at an a similar price level the difference is clear: these are made for individualists at heart; I laugh at the thought of plasticky Beats, delicate Sennheisers... these are the real deal.

Sound: 5/5

The M100s were developed in conjunction with a massive number of testers, consisting mostly of industry pros such as DJs. This has allowed them to fine-tune the output the way that those who play the music want to hear it themselves; there is no active noise cancellation - which means that you do get to hear a small amount of your surroundings - but the sound is crisper and clearer as a result.

- Trebles: nice and extended; absolutely precise and clear, but without the harshness that can make the ear wince. They retain their complete nature even when heard alongside a powerful bass.

- Middle Range: Warm. they make you want to sing along with them. Female vocals are particularly vibrant, I have found.

- Bass: A real treat. It's slightly brought forward. I'd really recommend that you try these with any sort of Electronic Dance Music if you get the chance. Maybe it's because they've been developed by so many different DJs, but the bass absolutely PURRS. Find a track with a constant rumble in the background, and enjoy! The integrity and definition of other areas is never compromised by the power of the lower levels; incredibly good seperation and retention of detail.

The drivers used are 50mm, and have an innovation not seen in others - a dual diaphragm. This makes the bass sound nice and tight even at the highest levels.

Soundstage: - the effect of being in a large room, and being able to identify where each instrument is. The soundstage here is very unusual: it feels like I'm on the stage in lead vocal position, rather than having the musicians in front of me like a normal audience perspective would do. As a result, I'm picking up much more noise to the rear of my head rather than to the front. Perhaps it is this quirk that makes me want to sing along so much when I wear them (it's very embarrassing to discover yourself wailing tunelessly along to something in public, ten times louder than you realised!). For classical and acoustic recordings I preferred the lighter touch of the Momentums, but for any sort of music with electronic beats, these phones absolutely throb with joy.

These headphones love music with many components - a wall of sound, if you like - they have the remarkable ability to portray every part with absolute clarity, no matter how many other things are going on at the same time. I was particularly impressed with the way 'The Final Cut' by Pink Floyd sounded, and DJ DSK CHK (and lots of other electronic dance music) really gets the bass on this thing throbbing; because of the double diaphragm on the driver, the bass never disturbs the airy sparkle of the high notes. Lovely for the ears to experience for the first time. And the hundredth.

Overall:

Even at this price, these headphones are very good value. You get two years' guarantee and 50% off your next pair if you break them (you won't). They have had so much thought put into them - there is a jack socket in each headphone can, so you can choose left or right side if you wish. This also gives you the ability to input from two different sources if you wish - you can also 'double' from one source too!

The M100 comes with two detachable leads - one with a basic inline control, and a longer one with an output for a friend to connect up and listen to your stuff if you want them to (this does reduce the overall volume to about 70% at a guess). They are typically tough (coated with Kevlar) but they do fray after a while.

You have the option to purchase a BoomPro from the V-Moda website for a mere $30, which will make the M100s an excellent choice of headset for next generation consoles.

VERDICT: Spectacular. Ultra high-end, ultra satisfying. Stick to the more fragile Momentums if you're more of a classical music lover. IF YOU LOVE EDM, GET THESE. Steal them if you have to; they are essential.

There's so much to say about these headphones. I would be truly devastated to lose them (I thought I had once - what a relief to find them later). Even the largest of music lovers could sit on these without damaging them.

PLUSSES:

+ Build quality
+ Understated style
+ two input sockets
+ 'daisy chain'-able
+ Customise options are actually very cool
+ They love electronic beats, and walls of detailed sound

MINUSES:

- No rotator cuffs
- Soundstage feels a bit narrow when listening to classical music
- Quite a lot of sound leakage
- Two little rubber plugs are included, which fit into the input sockets to stop dust entering. THese are very small and easily lost. They can also be put in back to front and can be difficult to remove.

I have researched into these extensively - if anyone is interested, I can post some of the links as well as some tracks on soundcloud which highlight the extraordinary responsiveness that these lovely things possess.

These are the only high-end headphones that I would feel confident throwing at a friend to catch, for example. At this price, all headphones should be this tough as well as looking and sounding good.

The M-100s have won more than 13 'best product' awards this year (and counting) - there's a reason why this is the case.

V-Moda have raised the bar.

Edit 07/01/14: I doubt very few people have read this far down, but I wanted to add a few observations based on further use. first, the soundstage - I mentioned that it seemed quite different from normally set-up headphones; in my opinion, the soundstage here is sort of spherical, with the listener at the centre. It's great fun. Secondly, the screws on the metal plates have started to lose their paint. I'd advise keeping these headphones in their case for as long as possible!

Edit 17/01/14: The orange lead has developed a hernia - one side of the mesh has developed a hole, throough which the inner rubber-coated cable is now protruding; they really are delicate, which is a shame. I left the headphones on the sofa and promptly sat on them, leading to one of the cans coming out of it's sockets - it was easy to widen the pincer-shaped part to put them back in, and the parts seem very tough.

Edit 18-09-14: I sat on them yesterday - as a result, one of the headphones now has a rotating cuff. Something has become weak in the hinge. It still functions well, but it is a deterioration, nevertheless.

Edit 28-09-14: The 'rotating cuff' was caused by one of the microscopically-small screws shearing in half that held the cup bracket in place. The head has come off, and I have no way of getting the shaft out of the hole. i'm going to have to be very careful to look after the one remaining screw, that's for sure.

Edit 09-11-14: the only problem with these headphones is the screws - they are similar in size to the ones used with spectacles, a and seem to be the weak spot .

Edit 21-01-15: First one screw sheared off on the left hand side (each can is attached with two), then, shortly afterwards, the second one sheared off too. I am bereft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 12 Nov. 2013
To start off this review, I would like to say that I consider myself as a "prosumer" when it comes to headphones. I am not an audiophile, but I am not a standard consumer. I appreciate sound quality and will go to great lengths to get it. I have numerous headphones and if you have read any of my other reviews you will see that I have a wide variety of tastes in sound and also can appreciate expensive as well as cheap audio equipment. These are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, and if not for Amazon, you would be paying around £ 300 for these. Even at £180, it is still a lot to pay for headphones, but the value you get at this price is remarkable.

V-Moda is a very special and interesting manufacturer. They only release one product per year. They design their products for years and nitpick so that their products are the best they can be. This is not to say that companies like Grado, Sennheiser or Sony don't do that, but you must remember that all of these mentioned companies produce in bulk, and as such each headphones does not feel as special as a V-Moda.

The first thing you notice when you take them out of the packaging is the quality of the box. It is of sublime quality, you even have to cut a red ribbon, so you know they are yours just in case you wondered at first. Taking them out of the packaging reveals a small, high quality case, and opening it reveals this metal beauty of a headphone. In my opinion, these are some awesome looking cans. Metal is used everywhere that is possible with this headphone, from the extremely high quality hinges to the can itself. They show off quality like no other headphone I have ever used. Even the Sennheiser Momentums do not have this kind of feel, and neither do the Sony MDR 1R's. They are built like a tank and will withstand some severe punishment.

Sound:

Bass:
Being a basshead, I am naturally biased in this sector, but this is the best bass I have heard in a headphone to date. I have tried £400+ headphones that do not have bass as good as this. It is delivered supremely well, and there is plenty of it. All of the low end spectrum is delivered supremely well. For every genre except classical, the bass will be gorgeous to listen to. I have yet to listen to better bass from a headphone. You need to listen to these to understand how good it really is. 10/10

Mids:
Some have said that the mids sound "rolled off" and aren't "in high enough quantities". This is not true in my opinion. Listening to any kind of vocal track, the voices are sparkly and sound amazing. EDM tracks which require a lot of mids are also presented very well, with great mids that are distinguishable from the bass, unlike some other brands which I dare not mention which make the bass bleed into the mids and sound awful. This is not the case here, and I would even say that the mids are some of the best I have listened to, considering that these are closed back. 9/10

Highs:
The highs are simply excellent. There is nothing to complain here about, except from the fact that I cannot stop listening to these 'phones. Anyway, the highs sparkle and are a pleasure to listen to. They never get tiring and sound fantastic. In some female vocal tracks, such as "Forever is ours" by Armin Van Buuren, the vocals of Emma Hewitt come across extremely well presented. One fear that I had was that the bass on these would drown out the highs and mids, but luckily this could not be further from the truth. 9/10

I still cant grasp just how good these are. I expected them to sound good considering the price I was paying, but after listening to them for 2 minutes, I was astounded and my jaw was left hanging while listening to AWOLNATION's Sail. Excellent.

Examples of a few tracks:

AWOLNATION - SAIL: The bass that kicks in at 00:17 hits hard and is a punchy kind of bass that never gets tiring. The song is beautifully rendered on these headphones, with the low end having an emphasis and overall the sound is so good you just want to raise your hands in the air and nod your head like a madman.

Swedish House Mafia - Save The World: A beautifully rendered version of this song was brought to me from these V-Moda's. The vocals were a joy to listen, and being a house track, the bass was epic. Did I say the bass is epic?

Ruben de Ronde - For Granted (Tommy Johnson remix): My current favourite track. No headphone, not even some open headphones, have delivered this song to my ears better than these so far. The Sony MDR 1R sound weak and flimzy in this song compared to this. I guess they are too clinical compared to these to sound so good in EDM.

Adele - Rolling In The Deep: Having this much bass, I was scared that Adele's voice might be drowned out and the guitar at the beginning may sound too deep. To my surprise, this was not the case at all. The vocals are superbly separated with bass that is limited but still very present and enjoyable.

Overall, then, I would recommend these headphones to people who like to have fun when listening to music. I am not a big fan of "reference" or extremely "accurate" headphones, as that is not what I look for in my sound. I like refined bass as well as excellent performance from other frequencies, and these deliver on all fronts. These may not work for audiophiles who like their sound extremely precise, but for me and most other people who do not like/care for clinical sound, these are the best choice that I have come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I have ever had, 10 Jun. 2014
The sound, durability, design, detail :D Not having to worry about them, when you throw them in your bag - with or without the case.
They can get a bit irritating, if you wear then for hours, but then I typically adjust them a bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars a bassheads delight, 30 April 2014
a headphone like no other, good looking, deep clean bass, portable, decent soundstage, good amount of detail (especially with the bass reducer turned on)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great headphones, 22 Mar. 2014
I was choosing between the Sennheiser Momentum and the M-100. What turned over to the V-Moda side was the fact that they IMHO look better, are more portable and deliver that little extra bas that I like. They sound great and produce a good sound pressure even with portable devices. My old Pacemaker Portable DJ unit with 103dB output and the M-100's has given listening to music a new meaning to me!

The only sad thing is that when trying to warranty register on V-Modas home page this turns out to be impossible. Their system claims that the registration code has already been used. Attempts to communicate with V-Moda via mail failed. I also tried on Facebook, but the replies I have received are bossy and in the line of "Learn to live with it, stupid"

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than Beats, 21 Mar. 2014
These are great headphones, sound quality is second to none and they are not only built to last but are very comfortable on the head for long periods of time! The only real downfall of these headphones is if you like wearing them as a fashion accessory around your neck, they're a bit to bulky although the don't look big on you head!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE DADDY!!, 26 Feb. 2014
What a sound, these headphones are just amazing!!! They look amazing, sound amazing, yes they are truly amazing!!! They have the price tag to match the quality, fit great and are comfortable even with prolong use. Deep bass, crisp mid range and popping highs! They need to bed in a bit with some light use, don't just turn them up to 11 until a few hours of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great set of headphones!, 10 Feb. 2014
I had not bought a pair of quality headphones since a pair of Sennheisers a few years back.

As I often listen to music on the move whilst going to work, I wanted a pair of headphones that were sturdy, yet had quality features and were not flimsy, not easy to break (as I know from my friends that Beats headphones can be quite fragile).

After watching a few YouTube videos and written reviews of the headphones, I felt I would give them a try. The price tag may put people off, but believe me they are worth the price tag. Sturdy, sound quality is excellent (tested on watching movies, playing videogames and listening to music) furthermore, the unique folding mechanism on the ear-pads makes them really small to carry round in the tough case that is provided.

Recommended purchase!!!