on 13 April 2013
Another brilliant book by Miranda Kenneally! I sat and read this book in one go like i have with all her other books. Again the characters in this book are in high school or have just started college and some recognisable characters from other books make an appearance too.

Things I Can't Forget is set in a Christian summer camp it explores different characters views and perceptions on their religion, and the problems and confusion of being a teenager. I love the characters in this book and instantly became invested in their story and was pulled in.

This is a brilliant read and i highly recommend it!
on 4 June 2013
This book gave me mixed feelings. It was a quick and enjoyable read, but there were also a lot of deep issues that were dealt with. The first being Kate's guilt over what she sees as a 'sin' she helped her friend commit. I don't want to spoil the book for anyone, so I won't go into extraneous detail, but the way Kate feels about this incident is really interesting. Seeing her side - the point of view of someone who is very religious and is constantly scared of disappointing God - and the view of her best friend, who is slowly becoming a 'disbeliever' makes for a really intriguing and unique conflict.

Kate's internal struggle was interesting to watch unfold but, to be honest, after a while I got kind of tired of her constantly bringing up how bad this 'sin' was and how she needed to pray for forgiveness. It got kind of old hat and when Kate was constantly judging people on how they acted because of her strong religious beliefs ... well, girlfriend really needed to chill out. At times she was way too high-strung and judgemental for my liking.

Then again, I suppose the point of the book was Kate's journey and how she learned to be more accepting. Don't get me wrong, Kate's actually a really nice person and she never wants to offend anyone and there definitely was a change in her at the end of the novel. I just wish it didn't take so long for her to get there.

Her relationship with Matt is a key part of the novel. They had some pretty swoony moments and her relationship with Matt really taught her a lot, which was fantastic. But they just didn't leap off the page.

Though I hadn't read Stealing Parker, when Parker appeared as a secondary character in this book, her relationship with her boyfriend was just wonderful to read. They were so fun together and their chemistry was undeniable. Parker herself was also a great character and really stole the show - she was a lot more complex than Kate and tbh she was a lot more interesting.

I think the thing I loved most though, were Kate's parents. She has them on a pedestal and at first you get the impression that they're just as super religious as she is. But, actually, her parents are really understanding and they don't see things as simply as Kate does. It was so refreshing to have parents in a YA book be supportive and offer sage advice. So often in this genre parents are absentee and judgemental to create tension, but I'm happy to say this wasn't the case here. Kate's parents were awesome and it really helped Kate find her way when she realised that even her parents weren't the 'perfect Christians'.

I enjoyed Kate's story - she really did just want to be a good person and was so afraid of going to hell that I just wanted to give her lots of hugs. So all in all this was a good read, it just wasn't fantastic.

For more reviews on YA & Contemporary books check out my blog: http://littlebirdiebooks.blogspot.co.uk
on 7 July 2014
The book was recommended to me in the kindle store so after reading the description I decided to buy it. It was supposed to be similar to Sarah Dessen novels; the further I read into the book the more it became a christian message. I myself am in no way into religion so when all the main character goes on about is praying it put me off. I feel that such a key theme should be mentioned in the description so as to make readers aware of the issues and opinions that will be discussed. However this is just my opinion and even though I personally could not continue to read the book I'm sure people who have an interest in the way that modern teenage christians handle obstacles in life will enjoy it.
on 16 September 2014
This book ticked all the boxes it had action romance hart break everything
After reading catch Jordan I new I had to read another of these book I love the😀😀
on 23 April 2013
The third in this series set around hundred oaks. All are standalone but with appearances from some of the characters from previous books. This one is a little different. It's not set in school but mostly at a Christian summer camp where Kate goes to work as a kids counsellor and grows up, falls in love, expands her horizons and learns which of her beliefs she wants to live her life by.

If you have read stealing Parker you will have seen and probably hopefully been appalled by some of the judgmental hypocrisy of Parker's fellow church goers. This story centres around Kate, a member of Parker's church and a girl for whom Jesus and her church provide the guiding principles by which she lives her life and judges those her around her. She isn't that easy to like at the outset for her black and white approach to right and wrong but how she learns to stretch/bend the lines makes this a more interesting and enjoyable read than your average teen romance.

My one criticism is that I found matt a little too amazing and thus a little bland. Minor quibble though as this is an addictive read and you'll want o see what Kate learns and how she grows along with the development of their relationship.
Cobra caitkin