5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced a Nikon D3200
Recently received the D5200 as a birthday present from the wife which has now replaced my D3200

In comparison vs the D3200 the D5200 image quality is almost identical. I can't see much difference between both cameras although the D5200 does edge on overall sharpness. Both cameras produce fantastic image quality.

Where the D5200 scores big over the...
Published 8 months ago by Rob73

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the Nikon D80
My Nikon D80 died after 7 years and I was extremely happy with it. Switch to the new D5200 doesn't feel as good. The D80 had a separate wheel for shutter speed and aperture size, which the new version lacks. The D80 also had a LED display near the controls on the top right which was very handy.
In all fairness the D5200 has many cool enhancements like live view, a...
Published 4 months ago by Rachit Kinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced a Nikon D3200, 23 Feb 2014
Rob73 (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews

Where the D5200 scores big over the D3200 is down to the auto focus. Whereas the D3200 was fine, it did struggle to focus quickly using zoom lenses, especially the 70-300 VR and the 16-85 in low light conditions. No such problem with the D5200 as it locks on to your subject and focuses far quicker due to its superior focus system.

Other pluses for the D5200 over its little brother:

Screen.. Same resolution but I like the fact I can move it for tough shots and also close the screen when storing my camera away for additional protection.

Frames per second. Continuous shooting in fine JPEG mode on the D5200 vs more of a stutter in the D3200

Scene modes are a nice touch but not a huge plus but an additional feature over the D3200

Additional menus in the set up.

Better video processing.

HDR and Bracketing, ideal for landscape shots.

Better internal graphics and slightly easier access options to image settings

Both cameras suited for beginners as there is auto and scene modes. Select your mode and press the shutter button and you will see a stunning image.

Pound for pound the D3200 is probably the better camera for value for casual photographers who want a dslr for the occasional family gathering or day out. Or someone frustrated with the image quality and low light performance of a point and shoot compact camera. D3200 a huge step up vs a compact camera and you will be amazed with the results..

Guide mode on D3200 very useful for the novice photographer.

D5200 is a superior all round camera and suited for both beginners and more advanced photographers who want to experiment a bit more. The auto focusing is the real big difference for me. Zoom, lock and shoot whereas the d3200 sometimes hunts and back focuses before you can shoot, therefore if you are trying to focus in a rush your shots could end up blurry as you are shooting before the camera has properly focused

Would choose the D5200 over the newer D3300 for the focusing system alone and flip out screen, and I would choose the D3200 over the D3300 as they are near identical cameras, although the D3300 is more gimmicky with the new Panorama feature. Not really worth the extra £250 in my own opinion. Not for an entry level spec camera.

Unsure of the benefits of the D5300 apart from the built In wifi and slightly bigger screen. I have the external wifi module and this works the same on the D5200 (and D3200). The d5300 supposedly produces sharper images than the D5200 but the difference should be small, but with sharpness you gain more image noise and I'm not sure it's worth the additional £200+ premium over the D5200. Perhaps a demo at your local camera shop?

For me there was no going back to the D3200 after receiving the D5200. After using the D5200 the D3200 does seem like a basic camera, and I recently sold the D3200 on flea bay due to lack of use

And finally, replace the kit lens.. Okay but you don't see the full benefit of both cameras. Get a decent walk around lens (18-105 or 16-85) and I can highly recommend the 50mm 1.8g prime lens as it produces fantastic portraits with vibrant colours.

Summary:
D3200 more a dslr with stabilisers. Purely designed for the novice photographer with helpful tips. Camera is designed for people who are used to compact cameras moving into the dslr world and is designed for taking photos in live mode (using the LCD screen rather than view finder) You can't go wrong with this camera but it lacks features found on more expensive cameras.

D5200. Produces similar image quality to the D3200 but with additional features found in the more expensive Nikon cameras. Novices will find this camera easy to use in Auto and scene modes and more serious photographers will enjoy the additional features over the D3200.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! The picture quality is amazing!, 21 Feb 2013
Gary Parker (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought the D5200 as soon as it came out because it was rated as having the highest picture quality of any APS-C DSLR camera in the world. Don't take my word for it, check the DxO Mark score yourself. DxO is the most respected independent, scientific picture quality score in the world, and they find the D5200 to have the highest score of any non-full-frame camera in the world ever.
I immediately used it on a pro model shoot. And I reckon it really is stunning picture quality. The shots are stunning high-resolution, high-dynamic-range shots. Staggering really, considering the price. Personally I find the kit lens surprisingly good too.
The D5200 uses the same autofocus as the D7000, which is a really excellent autofocus, one of the best in the world, although the new D7100 has even slightly better autofocus.
Video quality is very good but the autofocus is a bit slow in the "live view" mode used during video.
Overall I can't fault this camera, it is a stunning piece of kit. Just think of this: ten years ago no camera in the world was this good, not at any price. Today you can get better, but only by paying several times more. My only reservation is that if you are a hobbyist the D3200 is almost as good for quite a bit less money. (The D3200 has about 3% lower picture quality according to DxO, and I reckon that's about right - I have both cameras and in 9 shots out of 10 I can't tell the difference, but in 1 shot in 10 the D5200 will have focused better and/or will have fractionally lower noise in darker areas). If you want to photograph sports, the D5200's smarter autofocus is probably worth paying extra for. But for general use, if the D3200 is significantly cheaper, logically it might be better value for money. One other option if you have more money to spend is the new D7100. It's basically the same picture quality as the D5200 but with some nice extras such as a fractionally larger LCD panel on the back and a weather-sealed magnesium body. In DxO picture quality terms the D7100 is the same as the D5200 (in fact, weirdly, the D7100 scores fractionally worse: it scores 83 points whereas the D5200 scores 84).
Overall, I highly recommend the D5200, it is a stunningly good camera, and there really isn't any competition for it in this price range.
By the way, I am a very experienced photographer and my belief is that picture quality is the most important thing, not gimmicks. On that criterion the D5200 is an absolute winner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement for D70, 28 Jun 2013
I own a D80 which is my workhorse camera and, until recently had a D70 as backup. Ideally I would have got an 'upgrade' to the d7100 as the latest mid/pro offering, relegating my D80 to be the backup, but when I saw the specs for the D5200 and the 50% difference in price (PLUS the nifty swivelling screen - I do the odd Youtube video, so that's a bonus) I decided to err on the side of financial sense.

For convenience sake, I wish I'd had the funds for the 7100.

Bad points:
Even though the 5200 takes a wonderful shot, and the lens is far better than I had imagined (being a tad disappointed with the older kit lens from the D70), I am finding the display screen a royal pain in the bum. I miss the twin dials at the top and the quick settings shift in the little manually lit lcd. Faffing about to change settings, especially in low light situations if you're after a candid shot (where suddenly all your potential subjects hide behind their handbags as they see your face light up whilst you scrabble to turn off the automatic-always-on-default flash), is not something I'd foreseen.
Also, I am thoroughly disappointed that Nikon never seem to continue with the same extras like batteries, shutter releases and, even though I knew before I bought, auto focus in older lenses. It's a smaller camera. The motor is in the newer lenses. It's fine if I'm doing stills and have the time to set up a shot, but my eyesight's not what it used to be (even with the viewfinder or 3inch screen option). So again, for me, 'candid' is hit and miss.
Finally, on the gripes front, I know the manual warns about cropping and viewer-to-final-picture differences, but having done a nice little run of portraits using its kit lens, just about every wide angle, full body shot has the toes cut off even though I [thought I] left ample crop room at the time. It's more obvious doing videos in Live view, but I don't see why all the crop margins aren't catered for when building the camera. I really want the picture to be what I see through the viewfinder.
I thought I'd mention it, although it might just be me and a combination of wearing new glasses and faffing with a new camera.
So in summary, I feel like I might as well have bought an entirely different brand of camera when my original draw to Nikons' was so I could get maximum use out of all my lenses and products. The similarities, for me, stop at the lenses simply attaching. Oh, and the SD cards.

Good points:
It's fast. And with an incoming SDXC1 64GB card coming in, taking a tonne of RAW shots and HD videos should be easy.
The picture quality only becomes apparent once you get them on a PC and start zooming. Very impressive.
It's a great in-point camera for SLR loving, Windows 8, Iphone/Android using screen-heads. But it's not a touch screen for obvious reasons - if, like me, you view with your right eye, your nose or cheek would constantly be changing settings.
The pre-made settings and effects are good and intuitive, but imho they're gimmicks that can be better created in photoshop etc. Brilliant though for snaps and arty holiday shots perhaps.
It's smaller and lighter than the mid range models so less of a burden at all day events.

I've yet to give it a good run. I'm getting a second battery and in a couple of weeks will be able to evaluate how much use one charge will give (...that's if I don't give in and switch to the D80 all day).

On the whole, it's a good camera and the picture results are comparable to the D7100. However, getting to those results seems like a pain at the moment purely down to my middie D80 still being a familiar joy after all these years >< If you don't have any other Nikons to compare it to, it's a phenomenal first option!

EDIT: Just put the card in and can get from 1200 fine, large NEF+JPEG shots to 48600 small, basic JPEG shots with this camera. I used the £50 Nikon cashback to buy one (at current prices). However, much like the previous reviewer, the price of this camera dropped by £50 within a week of me buying it. SO it'll be more of a bargain for you :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Reviews are no substitute for having it in your hands, 29 Nov 2013
This review is about owning and using the Nikon D5200 in a day to day situation
and not about all the bells and whistles on it, which are many fold.

Ok this is my 3 cents worth.
Firstly a little bit of history, I got interested in photography when
35mm film was king getting into developing and the full nine yards.
Then with the invent of digital I lost interest because frankly it was in
it's infancy and did not produce very good results.
My first experience with Digital came some years later, a cheap point and shoot
10 mega pixel camera that took 10 minutes (to my imagination) to process the shot,
But the quality of the shots succeeded in re capturing my interest in photography.

Onto my first DSLR an Olympus E420 a very nice little camera which I still have and
use on a few occasions, but it just didn't tick all the boxes for me so I decided
a change was overdue.
Like many of you out there I read lots of reviews technical specs etc. on lots of
different cameras and was convinced at that point that a Canon DSLR was the way to go,
even settled on a model the 650D, and it remained that way right up until I got my hands
on one and realized it just didn't feel right in my hands and I found the view finder was
not very bright and the focus points small and difficult to see
(It just didn't tick the boxes) this was very frustrating.
Now I don't have the biggest hands in the world so when I picked up the
camera next to it which just happened to be the Nikon D5200 it instantly felt
right in my hands and the viewfinder was bright crisp and the focus points are
clear and easy to see, within a few minutes of handling the camera I had made up my mind.

So that was it, nothing against Canon my friends have them and love them
and take some great pictures, but it had to be the Nikon for me it just had
the right feel.
I have owned the camera now for a while and I am still finding it a joy to use, it
actually inspires me to take pictures.
Like most keen amateurs out there once you get past the shooting in auto syndrome the
world of photography really opens up for you, (this was easy for me having cut my teeth
on 35mm film) don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with using auto mode but if that's
all your going to do with a camera you may as well buy a point and shoot and save yourself
some money in the process, after all auto is not the most creative mode to shoot in, the
D5200 is capable of way more than that.

My D5200 came with the 18-55mm kit lens, not the best piece of glass in the
world but if your a beginner then it will get you started and if you stop the lens
down a bit it can give some reasonable results, but make no mistakes there is
no substitute for good glass.
My advice for what it's worth would be buy just the body and invest in a 35mm or
50mm f1.8 prime or go for the 18-105mm for general purpose use, I find it sharper
Than the 18-55mm and more versatile.
I have the kit lens 18-55mm a Nikon AF-S nikkor 50mm f1.8 prime a
Nikon AF-S nikkor 18-105mm and a Nikon AF-S nikkor 55-300mm
I get stunning results from my 50mm being a prime lens, love my 55-300mm for
wild life shots when I need that extra reach and use my 18-105 as my general
purpose travel lens, all of the above are auto focus lenses, the 50mm
prime is the only one without V R=Vibration reduction.
Auto focus is fast and accurate, with only a few occasions in poor light
When My 55-300mm had to hunt for focus.
Being a modern Digital camera the D5200 has a wide ISO range from 100
to 6400 then 4 Hi modes which enables you to shoot in most lighting scenarios,
I tend not to shoot above ISO 800, but have found that speeds above this are more
than acceptable and have very little noise visible even at full crop.
The camera has all the usual shooting modes Auto, P,S,A,M and dedicated scene modes
sport through to macro, plus special effects which I have not delved into.
Like most people out there I use Aperture priority and Manual for most of my shots,
Aperture priority 40% and manual 60% of the time on average, all depending on my subject.
You can choose viewfinder grid display in the menu and that will help you compose your shot
in the viewfinder which is very handy for the beginner.
Once you get used to the button layout you can alter any of the main settings ie. aperture,
shutter speed, ISO and exposure comp via the command wheel which falls conveniently under
your thumb and without taking your eye from the viewfinder, which means once you decide what
kind of shots you want to take, you don't need to keep delving into the info or menu screens
which are very comprehensive and have been reviewed at length by other people but are way to
involved to talk about in this review.
The camera has a crisp clear tilt and swivel LCD screen with good reproduction qualities
which folds flat against the camera when not in use and protects the screen from damage
the tilt and swivel will enable you to take shots in live view mode that would be awkward
using the viewfinder ( I use live view very rarely)
and use the screen mainly for checking composition and exposure.
There is a built in flash that is capable with a little thought and practice of giving quite
good results, don't get me wrong it's not ideal and in TTL mode can be a bit harsh with black
shadows being cast behind your subject, try it in manual mode take a few test shots or use flash
compensation, I have found that with practice altering the flash strength, aperture and shutter
speed settings, acceptable shots can be achieved giving natural looking lighting effects.
You can set the camera to record files in NEF(RAW) + jpeg Fine, Normal and Basic, NEF(RAW)
only or jpeg fine, normal and basic.
I shoot in NEF (RAW) because it compliments the very comprehensive NEX2 software which is
supplied with the Camera.
The battery life is more than adequate for a day out with the camera but
be aware if your using live view all the time or flash, the battery life
will be reduced considerably.
I recommend always carrying a spare battery.

I`m sorry I have not covered the video capabilities of the D5200 but
that is not why I purchased this Camera, but I have it on good authority
it is a very capable tool in this respect.
Unfortunately video is of no interest to me.

My conclusion, The Nikon D5200 is a very capable camera, I find it a joy
to use and it has produced some stunning results for me.
Any tool that inspires you to use it has got to be a plus, you don't become
a better photographer by leaving your camera in the bag.
This is not a technical review more my own thoughts on why this is a great camera,
(but not the only camera) and that is my point.
I give this camera 5 stars and 10 if that were possible.
Before you make your choice get out there and handle the cameras your interested
in, like me you may find that the one your thinking of purchasing or have your heart
set on is not the right one for you.
No review can put the camera in your hands or your eye to the viewfinder.
Hope you are as pleased with your choice no matter what make or model it is, as
I am with mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to know if you need a D5200, 14 Sep 2013
There's been a shedload of reviews already so I'll try not to repeat too much of what has come before me. Here's the deal. High resolution development sort of stopped two years ago when 10 - 12 Mp cameras were found to produce pin sharp prints up to 20 x 16" which is as big as 99% of us ever go.

That's great if your photo was composed perfectly, including what you want, ommitting nothing that you wanted, and not including objects or people you didn't want in the shot. If, however, you are human like me, and got the composition slightly wrong on some of your shots, your next step would be to crop out the image you really wanted, from the original shot. Doing this, depending on how small an area you end up with, from that original 12Mp image, could reduce your final image to 3 or 4 Mp, a huge loss in quality if you now want an enlargement, but not bad at all if you only want a 6" x 4".

Most cameras come with a 'kit' lens, and it is usually a budget lens to start you off. The one Canon and Nikon supply like this is not up to the job, when fitted to one of these new generation High Res cameras. The resolving power of the camera sensor (thats the bit inside that goes where the film used to be) has now reached the point where, to get the most out of it, you need a quality lens with high resolving power. It is hard to recommend anything to you, as you may be a wide, standard, or telephoto (mostly) kind of shooter. There's plenty of great reviews on lenses around the web, do some research.

Nikon kicked off the high res war with canon again, because some photographers wanted to enlarge beyond 20 x 16, or, when cropping from an original, wanted to go bigger than 6 x 4. This is why Nikon (and Canon) have rekindled the push to higher res.

Another thing that stopped development a couple of years ago, was, noise. As sensors individual pixels got smaller and smaller, noise became a problem. The development behind the scenes was on cleaner high res sensors, and now we have access to them in the most excellent D5200. This camera really does it all, in the hands of someone who is prepared to develop their knowledge and skills in photography. A semi pro might buy the D7100 because it has more direct controls without delving into the menu system, but you can set up the D5200 easily. The detail it produces is almost frightening, at 100% in photoshop you can hardly see the pixels, when my older D5100 shows them as small squares at the same magnification. The noise (what noise?) is non existant at iso 100 - 400 and I never shoot above that anyway.

This is a steal at current prices, and for normal use in fair weather, buying one is a no brainer. The D7100 produces identical images in every respect, look at online reviews, they are all saying the same thing. It costs double the price and yes, it will work with older nikon lenses which don't have internal focus motors (you need AF-S lenses with the D5200) but I have to ask, why would I put an older lens on a new, HIGH RES camera?

I am a long established semi pro user, and the D5200 produces the goods, easily, and the settings via menu is an over emphasised 'problem' two or three quick button presses and your good to go. It just takes a few days to learn where everything is. I would rather go out on a shoot with two bodies fitted with my favourite lenses, than one D7100 and have to run back to the car or hotel to change a lens. (dusty, windy, or rainy conditions).

With the proviso of getting a good lens, you should buy one of these, and that lens comment applies to EVERY high res camera on the market, certainly not just this one!

The tilting LCD Screen is one feature I use quite regularly, and for that reason alone I love the camera, but it's when you see the images on a large computer screen that it really hits you how good this thing is.

Go on, stop messing about, listen to that voice in your head, get your credit card out now, and order one.

4.0 out of 5 stars A vast improvement from the D5100 with good dynamic range but average focusing., 10 July 2014
This camera represents fantastic value and is certainly an improvement from the D5100. With good dynamic range and 24 megapixels this camera offers great picture quality and ranks fairly high on independent sensor comparisons such as dxo (even compared to much higher priced cameras). It feels much sturdier in the hands than any of the D3000 cameras and is probably suited to beginners progressing to novice. The focusing is generally very good but it can get a little woolly towards the edges of the frame. Intermediate users will perhaps find this camera limiting to use in full manual mode as there is no front selection wheel for shutter speed, instead users need to use an FN button that is on the front of the camera to make the selector multifunctional for shutter speed ISO and aperture. So intermediate users would probably be better with something in the D7000 range. Battery life is fairly good but not on par with larger cameras such as the D 7000 range. But please don't be put off this camera, it is a very capable camera with a dynamic range to rival much better models. The kit lenses very good also. One thing to mention about this camera is that Nikon do not manufacture a battery grip for this camera, aftermarket ones are available though they need connecting via an external wire. I hope this review helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely impressed!, 1 Jan 2014
Schnuggles (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I had a Canon EOS 400d which was certainly getting on a bit so felt it time to upgrade. I did my research and spent a while with website such as DxOMark and Snapsort, having a Canon EOS 700d in mind. The upshot was the Nikon is far superior to the 700d. Just as I was about to buy the 5200, the 5300 turned up so I watched while the reviews were posted.

Why did I go for the D5200? The 5300 has three main improvements: Wi-Fi, gps and the removal of the image filter. Reviews suggest the Wi-Fi and gps are prone to problems and the difference between images for the two models are very slight so why pay several hundred pounds more?

So I bought the 5200. Opened the box, stuck the battery in, switched it on and felt like I'd gone into the future. Digital SLR's have changed a lot over the past few years and it felt like going from film->digital. The manual was well laid out and gave me the basic info I needed, if you are used to Nikon SLR's then I'm sure you would've adapted much quicker.

Particular Points:

The speed of the camera was amazing. It has a image buffer so can keep taking photos while it's writing to the SD card. Worth buying a fast SD card though so don't skimp on quality.
The resolution of the pullout screen is amazing. I've purchased a screen protector as you'll get noseprints otherwise :)
Quality of the images, even at high ISO settings is fantastic. Obviously I've gone from a 10 megapixel to a 24 but the difference in Noise for high ISOs was obvious.
Focusing was really quick even in poor light.

I also got the wireless remote which works far better than the Canon and is similar sized.

So, I would purchase this over the D5300 and I'd recommend:

a fast SD card (use a familiar brand like Lexar or Sandisk)
screen protector (get a pack of more than one as it usually takes a few attempts
wireless remote (you might be able to find this included in the pack at certain vendors)
Cokin P adapter ring/system/polarising filter and ND filters
decent bag - I'd stay clear of the Nikon bag and go for something by LowePro or Caselogic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D5200 Digital SLR, 3 Aug 2013
Mr. Gordon Downie (Stoke-on-Trent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D5200 Digital SLR Camera Body Only - Black (24.1MP) 3 inch LCD (Electronics)
I'm not new to photography having used a Canon 350d for seven years and while it is a good slr, I wanted to bring my camera up to date with the latest technology so took the plunge and went for the Nikon d5200. This is a very easy camera to use. If you want the camera to do all the work for you, it will, but if you want to control things then you can and soon you certainly will want to control things yourself. The Nikon will let you become as creative as you wish and with the wide range of lenses from Nikon and independant manufacturers the whole photgrapic world is your oyster. wether you new to photography or experienced, this camera will suit you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D5200 Review, 24 Jun 2013
As a paid photographer, I had always used cameras on the concept of a photographers skill, not his equipment. However last month was the time for me to upgrade from my Fujifilm HS30EXR. And what an upgrade it is!!!
I only have small negative but I'll get to that later.

I am mainly an events photographer, I shoot gigs and underground music festivals and for me, in terms of what I do, this camera is a joy to use. It works with a Yongnuo-560 flash, on and off board (wirelessly).
The camera produces crisp images all the way up to ISO 3200. Which is more than can be said for my decaying Fujifilm, which showed signs of noise in ISO 800. This is a huge positive. Also images are still usable at ISO 6400 however in the expanded ISO ranges, you will see that more noise appears.

At the moment all I have is the 18-55mm kit lens. But don't get me wrong, it produces sharp images but if you try to use it as a macro lens, you will be doing some hunting for focus, and the images can end up looking very soft. There's a limit to how close you can get to the subject.

Now for the negative, sometimes the camera produces a slight blur in photos, day or night, and it isn't my hand shake as I am extremely stable with cameras and my settings are fine. So I don't know what it could be, I doubt the camera is faulty as I can get some extremely sharp shots!

The camera has a whopping 24 megapixel count, HDR, 5fps and a variety of effects in scene mode. (I wont go into details, basically some are helpful, some are kind of pathetic e.g colours sketch)

Now although I am mainly an event photographer, I have been up at ungodly hours of the morning shooting round my village and the performance is outstanding like I've said. The amount of bokeh (the blur around a focus point) you can receive is fantastic and helps pinpoint the subject.

Overall, if I could give the camera 4 1/2 stars then I would, but I feel that the negatives I've said above can be easily
amended if you know what you're doing,

4.0 out of 5 stars A good top end, budget camera, 21 Aug 2014
It's a good DX camera. I made the 'upgrade' to this from a D3100 and to be honest, there wasn't really enough of a jump to warrant the upgrade. But if I was starting out and could afford it, this would be a good choice.

The camera is a much better option than the D3100 (or the later ones, failing not having GPS and other 'gimmicks'), has a good frame rate for continuous shooting for sports/action (an ok buffer for a budget camera too), takes good quality shots, and the articulated (flip out) screen is great. Haven't delved into the video recording, but several friends have been impressed.

Its definitely the best of the bunch of budget Nikon DSLR's unless you make the step up to the D7100 or a full frame model.