on 9 November 2014
Fantastic camera! I had a Nikon D40x for many years, and finally thought it was time to upgrade. This is the perfect step up, it isn't too heavy (I tested out the D7000 before I got this, and it was just far too heavy), so is ideal for taking on travels, and gets some really fantastic photos.

Remember that this is a DX camera so with some lenses they will only work as manual lenses, but I actually prefer manual lenses so all is good. All in all a fab camera for enthusiasts dabbling in photography but not professional. Also because it isn't full-frame the camera crops slightly, so say a 35mm lens will actually look more like a 50mm.

I literally can't think of any negatives of the D5200, I love it. It's also *amazing* in low light conditions!

Selection of pics are below, they were taken in all sorts of situations and lighting conditions. Lenses used are all Nikon, 50mm, 35mm, and 55-300mm. Naturally please don't use any without crediting me - duh.

Definitely get this camera if you want high-quality photos but don't have the budget (or arm strength) for anything 'higher up' or full frame.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on 23 February 2014
Recently received the D5200 as a birthday present from the wife which has now replaced my D3200

In comparison vs the D3200 the D5200 image quality is almost identical. I can't see much difference between both cameras although the D5200 does edge on overall sharpness. Both cameras produce fantastic image quality.

Where the D5200 scores big over the D3200 is down to the auto focus. Whereas the D3200 was fine, it did struggle to focus quickly using zoom lenses, especially the 70-300 VR and the 16-85 in low light conditions. No such problem with the D5200 as it locks on to your subject and focuses far quicker due to its superior focus system.

Other pluses for the D5200 over its little brother:

Screen.. Same resolution but I like the fact I can move it for tough shots and also close the screen when storing my camera away for additional protection.

Frames per second. Continuous shooting in fine JPEG mode on the D5200 vs more of a stutter in the D3200

Scene modes are a nice touch but not a huge plus but an additional feature over the D3200

Additional menus in the set up.

Better video processing.

HDR and Bracketing, ideal for landscape shots.

Better internal graphics and slightly easier access options to image settings

Both cameras suited for beginners as there is auto and scene modes. Select your mode and press the shutter button and you will see a stunning image.

Pound for pound the D3200 is probably the better camera for value for casual photographers who want a dslr for the occasional family gathering or day out. Or someone frustrated with the image quality and low light performance of a point and shoot compact camera. D3200 a huge step up vs a compact camera and you will be amazed with the results..

Guide mode on D3200 very useful for the novice photographer.

D5200 is a superior all round camera and suited for both beginners and more advanced photographers who want to experiment a bit more. The auto focusing is the real big difference for me. Zoom, lock and shoot whereas the d3200 sometimes hunts and back focuses before you can shoot, therefore if you are trying to focus in a rush your shots could end up blurry as you are shooting before the camera has properly focused

Would choose the D5200 over the newer D3300 for the focusing system alone and flip out screen, and I would choose the D3200 over the D3300 as they are near identical cameras, although the D3300 is more gimmicky with the new Panorama feature. Not really worth the extra £250 in my own opinion. Not for an entry level spec camera.

Unsure of the benefits of the D5300 apart from the built In wifi and slightly bigger screen. I have the external wifi module and this works the same on the D5200 (and D3200). The d5300 supposedly produces sharper images than the D5200 but the difference should be small, but with sharpness you gain more image noise and I'm not sure it's worth the additional £200+ premium over the D5200. Perhaps a demo at your local camera shop?

For me there was no going back to the D3200 after receiving the D5200. After using the D5200 the D3200 does seem like a basic camera, and I recently sold the D3200 on flea bay due to lack of use

And finally, replace the kit lens.. Okay but you don't see the full benefit of both cameras. Get a decent walk around lens (18-105 or 16-85) and I can highly recommend the 50mm 1.8g prime lens as it produces fantastic portraits with vibrant colours.

Summary:
D3200 more a dslr with stabilisers. Purely designed for the novice photographer with helpful tips. Camera is designed for people who are used to compact cameras moving into the dslr world and is designed for taking photos in live mode (using the LCD screen rather than view finder) You can't go wrong with this camera but it lacks features found on more expensive cameras.

D5200. Produces similar image quality to the D3200 but with additional features found in the more expensive Nikon cameras. Novices will find this camera easy to use in Auto and scene modes and more serious photographers will enjoy the additional features over the D3200.
22 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 February 2013
I bought the D5200 as soon as it came out because it was rated as having the highest picture quality of any APS-C DSLR camera in the world. Don't take my word for it, check the DxO Mark score yourself. DxO is the most respected independent, scientific picture quality score in the world, and they find the D5200 to have the highest score of any non-full-frame camera in the world ever.
I immediately used it on a pro model shoot. And I reckon it really is stunning picture quality. The shots are stunning high-resolution, high-dynamic-range shots. Staggering really, considering the price. Personally I find the kit lens surprisingly good too.
The D5200 uses the same autofocus as the D7000, which is a really excellent autofocus, one of the best in the world, although the new D7100 has even slightly better autofocus.
Video quality is very good but the autofocus is a bit slow in the "live view" mode used during video.
Overall I can't fault this camera, it is a stunning piece of kit. Just think of this: ten years ago no camera in the world was this good, not at any price. Today you can get better, but only by paying several times more. My only reservation is that if you are a hobbyist the D3200 is almost as good for quite a bit less money. (The D3200 has about 3% lower picture quality according to DxO, and I reckon that's about right - I have both cameras and in 9 shots out of 10 I can't tell the difference, but in 1 shot in 10 the D5200 will have focused better and/or will have fractionally lower noise in darker areas). If you want to photograph sports, the D5200's smarter autofocus is probably worth paying extra for. But for general use, if the D3200 is significantly cheaper, logically it might be better value for money. One other option if you have more money to spend is the new D7100. It's basically the same picture quality as the D5200 but with some nice extras such as a fractionally larger LCD panel on the back and a weather-sealed magnesium body. In DxO picture quality terms the D7100 is the same as the D5200 (in fact, weirdly, the D7100 scores fractionally worse: it scores 83 points whereas the D5200 scores 84).
Overall, I highly recommend the D5200, it is a stunningly good camera, and there really isn't any competition for it in this price range.
By the way, I am a very experienced photographer and my belief is that picture quality is the most important thing, not gimmicks. On that criterion the D5200 is an absolute winner.
1313 comments|227 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2013
I own a D80 which is my workhorse camera and, until recently had a D70 as backup. Ideally I would have got an 'upgrade' to the d7100 as the latest mid/pro offering, relegating my D80 to be the backup, but when I saw the specs for the D5200 and the 50% difference in price (PLUS the nifty swivelling screen - I do the odd Youtube video, so that's a bonus) I decided to err on the side of financial sense.

For convenience sake, I wish I'd had the funds for the 7100.

Bad points:
Even though the 5200 takes a wonderful shot, and the lens is far better than I had imagined (being a tad disappointed with the older kit lens from the D70), I am finding the display screen a royal pain in the bum. I miss the twin dials at the top and the quick settings shift in the little manually lit lcd. Faffing about to change settings, especially in low light situations if you're after a candid shot (where suddenly all your potential subjects hide behind their handbags as they see your face light up whilst you scrabble to turn off the automatic-always-on-default flash), is not something I'd foreseen.
Also, I am thoroughly disappointed that Nikon never seem to continue with the same extras like batteries, shutter releases and, even though I knew before I bought, auto focus in older lenses. It's a smaller camera. The motor is in the newer lenses. It's fine if I'm doing stills and have the time to set up a shot, but my eyesight's not what it used to be (even with the viewfinder or 3inch screen option). So again, for me, 'candid' is hit and miss.
Finally, on the gripes front, I know the manual warns about cropping and viewer-to-final-picture differences, but having done a nice little run of portraits using its kit lens, just about every wide angle, full body shot has the toes cut off even though I [thought I] left ample crop room at the time. It's more obvious doing videos in Live view, but I don't see why all the crop margins aren't catered for when building the camera. I really want the picture to be what I see through the viewfinder.
I thought I'd mention it, although it might just be me and a combination of wearing new glasses and faffing with a new camera.
So in summary, I feel like I might as well have bought an entirely different brand of camera when my original draw to Nikons' was so I could get maximum use out of all my lenses and products. The similarities, for me, stop at the lenses simply attaching. Oh, and the SD cards.

Good points:
It's fast. And with an incoming SDXC1 64GB card coming in, taking a tonne of RAW shots and HD videos should be easy.
The picture quality only becomes apparent once you get them on a PC and start zooming. Very impressive.
It's a great in-point camera for SLR loving, Windows 8, Iphone/Android using screen-heads. But it's not a touch screen for obvious reasons - if, like me, you view with your right eye, your nose or cheek would constantly be changing settings.
The pre-made settings and effects are good and intuitive, but imho they're gimmicks that can be better created in photoshop etc. Brilliant though for snaps and arty holiday shots perhaps.
It's smaller and lighter than the mid range models so less of a burden at all day events.

I've yet to give it a good run. I'm getting a second battery and in a couple of weeks will be able to evaluate how much use one charge will give (...that's if I don't give in and switch to the D80 all day).

On the whole, it's a good camera and the picture results are comparable to the D7100. However, getting to those results seems like a pain at the moment purely down to my middie D80 still being a familiar joy after all these years >< If you don't have any other Nikons to compare it to, it's a phenomenal first option!

EDIT: Just put the card in and can get from 1200 fine, large NEF+JPEG shots to 48600 small, basic JPEG shots with this camera. I used the £50 Nikon cashback to buy one (at current prices). However, much like the previous reviewer, the price of this camera dropped by £50 within a week of me buying it. SO it'll be more of a bargain for you :)
on 10 July 2014
This camera represents fantastic value and is certainly an improvement from the D5100. With good dynamic range and 24 megapixels this camera offers great picture quality and ranks fairly high on independent sensor comparisons such as dxo (even compared to much higher priced cameras). It feels much sturdier in the hands than any of the D3000 cameras and is probably suited to beginners progressing to novice. The focusing is generally very good but it can get a little woolly towards the edges of the frame. Intermediate users will perhaps find this camera limiting to use in full manual mode as there is no front selection wheel for shutter speed, instead users need to use an FN button that is on the front of the camera to make the selector multifunctional for shutter speed ISO and aperture. So intermediate users would probably be better with something in the D7000 range. Battery life is fairly good but not on par with larger cameras such as the D 7000 range. But please don't be put off this camera, it is a very capable camera with a dynamic range to rival much better models. The kit lenses very good also. One thing to mention about this camera is that Nikon do not manufacture a battery grip for this camera, aftermarket ones are available though they need connecting via an external wire. I hope this review helps.
on 29 November 2013
This review is about owning and using the Nikon D5200 in a day to day situation
and not about all the bells and whistles on it, which are many fold.

Ok this is my 3 cents worth.
Firstly a little bit of history, I got interested in photography when
35mm film was king getting into developing and the full nine yards.
Then with the invent of digital I lost interest because frankly it was in
it's infancy and did not produce very good results.
My first experience with Digital came some years later, a cheap point and shoot
10 mega pixel camera that took 10 minutes (to my imagination) to process the shot,
But the quality of the shots succeeded in re capturing my interest in photography.

Onto my first DSLR an Olympus E420 a very nice little camera which I still have and
use on a few occasions, but it just didn't tick all the boxes for me so I decided
a change was overdue.
Like many of you out there I read lots of reviews technical specs etc. on lots of
different cameras and was convinced at that point that a Canon DSLR was the way to go,
even settled on a model the 650D, and it remained that way right up until I got my hands
on one and realized it just didn't feel right in my hands and I found the view finder was
not very bright and the focus points small and difficult to see
(It just didn't tick the boxes) this was very frustrating.
Now I don't have the biggest hands in the world so when I picked up the
camera next to it which just happened to be the Nikon D5200 it instantly felt
right in my hands and the viewfinder was bright crisp and the focus points are
clear and easy to see, within a few minutes of handling the camera I had made up my mind.

So that was it, nothing against Canon my friends have them and love them
and take some great pictures, but it had to be the Nikon for me it just had
the right feel.
I have owned the camera now for a while and I am still finding it a joy to use, it
actually inspires me to take pictures.
Like most keen amateurs out there once you get past the shooting in auto syndrome the
world of photography really opens up for you, (this was easy for me having cut my teeth
on 35mm film) don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with using auto mode but if that's
all your going to do with a camera you may as well buy a point and shoot and save yourself
some money in the process, after all auto is not the most creative mode to shoot in, the
D5200 is capable of way more than that.

My D5200 came with the 18-55mm kit lens, not the best piece of glass in the
world but if your a beginner then it will get you started and if you stop the lens
down a bit it can give some reasonable results, but make no mistakes there is
no substitute for good glass.
My advice for what it's worth would be buy just the body and invest in a 35mm or
50mm f1.8 prime or go for the 18-105mm for general purpose use, I find it sharper
Than the 18-55mm and more versatile.
I have the kit lens 18-55mm a Nikon AF-S nikkor 50mm f1.8 prime a
Nikon AF-S nikkor 18-105mm and a Nikon AF-S nikkor 55-300mm
I get stunning results from my 50mm being a prime lens, love my 55-300mm for
wild life shots when I need that extra reach and use my 18-105 as my general
purpose travel lens, all of the above are auto focus lenses, the 50mm
prime is the only one without V R=Vibration reduction.
Auto focus is fast and accurate, with only a few occasions in poor light
When My 55-300mm had to hunt for focus.
Being a modern Digital camera the D5200 has a wide ISO range from 100
to 6400 then 4 Hi modes which enables you to shoot in most lighting scenarios,
I tend not to shoot above ISO 800, but have found that speeds above this are more
than acceptable and have very little noise visible even at full crop.
The camera has all the usual shooting modes Auto, P,S,A,M and dedicated scene modes
sport through to macro, plus special effects which I have not delved into.
Like most people out there I use Aperture priority and Manual for most of my shots,
Aperture priority 40% and manual 60% of the time on average, all depending on my subject.
You can choose viewfinder grid display in the menu and that will help you compose your shot
in the viewfinder which is very handy for the beginner.
Once you get used to the button layout you can alter any of the main settings ie. aperture,
shutter speed, ISO and exposure comp via the command wheel which falls conveniently under
your thumb and without taking your eye from the viewfinder, which means once you decide what
kind of shots you want to take, you don't need to keep delving into the info or menu screens
which are very comprehensive and have been reviewed at length by other people but are way to
involved to talk about in this review.
The camera has a crisp clear tilt and swivel LCD screen with good reproduction qualities
which folds flat against the camera when not in use and protects the screen from damage
the tilt and swivel will enable you to take shots in live view mode that would be awkward
using the viewfinder ( I use live view very rarely)
and use the screen mainly for checking composition and exposure.
There is a built in flash that is capable with a little thought and practice of giving quite
good results, don't get me wrong it's not ideal and in TTL mode can be a bit harsh with black
shadows being cast behind your subject, try it in manual mode take a few test shots or use flash
compensation, I have found that with practice altering the flash strength, aperture and shutter
speed settings, acceptable shots can be achieved giving natural looking lighting effects.
You can set the camera to record files in NEF(RAW) + jpeg Fine, Normal and Basic, NEF(RAW)
only or jpeg fine, normal and basic.
I shoot in NEF (RAW) because it compliments the very comprehensive NEX2 software which is
supplied with the Camera.
The battery life is more than adequate for a day out with the camera but
be aware if your using live view all the time or flash, the battery life
will be reduced considerably.
I recommend always carrying a spare battery.

I`m sorry I have not covered the video capabilities of the D5200 but
that is not why I purchased this Camera, but I have it on good authority
it is a very capable tool in this respect.
Unfortunately video is of no interest to me.

My conclusion, The Nikon D5200 is a very capable camera, I find it a joy
to use and it has produced some stunning results for me.
Any tool that inspires you to use it has got to be a plus, you don't become
a better photographer by leaving your camera in the bag.
This is not a technical review more my own thoughts on why this is a great camera,
(but not the only camera) and that is my point.
I give this camera 5 stars and 10 if that were possible.
Before you make your choice get out there and handle the cameras your interested
in, like me you may find that the one your thinking of purchasing or have your heart
set on is not the right one for you.
No review can put the camera in your hands or your eye to the viewfinder.
Hope you are as pleased with your choice no matter what make or model it is, as
I am with mine.
22 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 2013
There's been a shedload of reviews already so I'll try not to repeat too much of what has come before me. Here's the deal. High resolution development sort of stopped two years ago when 10 - 12 Mp cameras were found to produce pin sharp prints up to 20 x 16" which is as big as 99% of us ever go.

That's great if your photo was composed perfectly, including what you want, ommitting nothing that you wanted, and not including objects or people you didn't want in the shot. If, however, you are human like me, and got the composition slightly wrong on some of your shots, your next step would be to crop out the image you really wanted, from the original shot. Doing this, depending on how small an area you end up with, from that original 12Mp image, could reduce your final image to 3 or 4 Mp, a huge loss in quality if you now want an enlargement, but not bad at all if you only want a 6" x 4".

Most cameras come with a 'kit' lens, and it is usually a budget lens to start you off. The one Canon and Nikon supply like this is not up to the job, when fitted to one of these new generation High Res cameras. The resolving power of the camera sensor (thats the bit inside that goes where the film used to be) has now reached the point where, to get the most out of it, you need a quality lens with high resolving power. It is hard to recommend anything to you, as you may be a wide, standard, or telephoto (mostly) kind of shooter. There's plenty of great reviews on lenses around the web, do some research.

Nikon kicked off the high res war with canon again, because some photographers wanted to enlarge beyond 20 x 16, or, when cropping from an original, wanted to go bigger than 6 x 4. This is why Nikon (and Canon) have rekindled the push to higher res.

Another thing that stopped development a couple of years ago, was, noise. As sensors individual pixels got smaller and smaller, noise became a problem. The development behind the scenes was on cleaner high res sensors, and now we have access to them in the most excellent D5200. This camera really does it all, in the hands of someone who is prepared to develop their knowledge and skills in photography. A semi pro might buy the D7100 because it has more direct controls without delving into the menu system, but you can set up the D5200 easily. The detail it produces is almost frightening, at 100% in photoshop you can hardly see the pixels, when my older D5100 shows them as small squares at the same magnification. The noise (what noise?) is non existant at iso 100 - 400 and I never shoot above that anyway.

This is a steal at current prices, and for normal use in fair weather, buying one is a no brainer. The D7100 produces identical images in every respect, look at online reviews, they are all saying the same thing. It costs double the price and yes, it will work with older nikon lenses which don't have internal focus motors (you need AF-S lenses with the D5200) but I have to ask, why would I put an older lens on a new, HIGH RES camera?

I am a long established semi pro user, and the D5200 produces the goods, easily, and the settings via menu is an over emphasised 'problem' two or three quick button presses and your good to go. It just takes a few days to learn where everything is. I would rather go out on a shoot with two bodies fitted with my favourite lenses, than one D7100 and have to run back to the car or hotel to change a lens. (dusty, windy, or rainy conditions).

With the proviso of getting a good lens, you should buy one of these, and that lens comment applies to EVERY high res camera on the market, certainly not just this one!

The tilting LCD Screen is one feature I use quite regularly, and for that reason alone I love the camera, but it's when you see the images on a large computer screen that it really hits you how good this thing is.

Go on, stop messing about, listen to that voice in your head, get your credit card out now, and order one.
on 28 June 2013
I surveyed the market long and hard before purchasing this camera, as an upgrade for my well-used D90. I considered going the further step to the D7100, but didn't feel I could justify the additional cost.

THe camera is sturdy and well made, and the kit lens is a good choice and has given excellent results. I found it easy to transition from the D90, after studying the manual carefully. I haven't used any of the effects modes yet, but have used it on full auto, aperture prioirity, manual and macro. The autofocus is superb!

I haven't used it for serious video shooting, but a brief foray shows the picture quality to be excellent. Suspicious of the internal stereo microphone, I've bought the external stereo mike (review later) which I will fit with a fun-fur sock to eliminate wind noise.
on 26 April 2014
Bought this camera body as a cheaper back-up to my other higher end Nikons. Punchy pics at 24MP and lovely colour repro.

Pain in the backside having to fiddle through the menu to change settings "on the hoof" and the backbutton array isn't as "intuitive" as the Nikon D700/7100 but needless to say, it does the job. Works best when you want to work at a constant setting throughout your shoot, but I would rely on my more advanced Nikons to work in constantly-changing settings as I would hate to waste time faffing about with settings and missing the opportunity of "the shot".

Does the job for £500. If you want something a bit meatier, then go for the D7000/D7100 but otherwise, this little black box will serve you well.
on 26 July 2015