‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cycling Guide for the End to End Ride, 22 July 2012
I really enjoyed Nick Mitchell's End to End Cycle guide. We based our End to End trip off of it and followed the routes pretty much in their entirety. Overall, it was a lovely, well explained route which avoided the most busy roads while taking us through the best parts of Great Britain.

A few things to be aware of are:

- The city navigation is often a bit confusing. We found ourselves having to consult the book multiple times through the cities or even using the SatNav in our mobile phones.
- Some of the trail riding can be a little much for road bikes particularly in adverse weather. We found ourselves with multiple punctures and on some quite slippy, debris covered farming paths a few times.
- We used the routes provided by the guide, but compressed them down from 14 days to 9.5 days. It was definitely possible to do so, but we thought that in the end it would have been more enjoyable to have taken more time to enjoy the ride.

Again, a great guide for the End to End cycle trip. Well written book and amazing trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes cycling LeJog seem very tempting .., 21 May 2012
Nick's guide is inspiring: as someone who's never previously considered doing this route, reading the guide made it sound all too tempting and I found myself wondering when and how I could possibly fit it in! Quite a conversion. Dipping into the bits of the route that pass through places I've cycled in a lot, I can see how thoroughly researched it is. This gives me lots of confidence that I'd be able to rely on it in areas I don't know - not something you can always take for granted with cycling guides as I have learnt all too well over the years!

Knowing how thoroughly Nick has researched and ridden the route I'd have every confidence in it anyway. A great guide that I'd really recommend to anyone planning to do the route (or even people not planning to ... but easily tempted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Immensely helpful, 4 Aug 2013
We followed Nick's route for 10 days in all, deviating only to go via the West Coast of Scotland ( Ayr,Ardrossan, Arran, Kintyre) which I would recommend as a worthwhile extra 60 miles or so, before rejoining Nick's route from Fort William. His route is very well balanced in terms of length of each day - but especially the choice of country, B and lesser A roads means that you are very rarely dicing with death as juggernauts roar past your ears- and much more often enjoying long stretches of relatively quiet and scenically beautiful cycling. He also highlights many notable sites and historic buildings not to be missed. A really excellent guidebook for an epic trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only guide you'll need, 8 May 2012
If you're even vaguely curious about attempting this ride, then this book is simply a must buy. There are some other great guides out there, but the author has clearly poured his heart and soul into this book (as well as a vast amount of personal experience and knowledge) and as a result it's a joy to read. I would challenge anyone to pick this up and resist the urge to jump straight on their bikes and head straight for Cornwall!

5.0 out of 5 stars End To end, 4 April 2013
This book was exactly what I was looking for. I'm doing this ride in a few weeks and it has all the useful tips that I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars End to End Cycle Route, 2 Feb 2013
I am planning this trip with a friend this year and the books is fantastic with so many information and tips. Did review other books and material but this is by far the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful addition to anyone planning end-to-end, 11 April 2012
I was lucky enough to ride the end-to-end under the guidance of the author (Nick) in 2011. He was undertaking the ride for the eighth or ninth time and was constantly searching for ways to improve his guide notes. This book has contains the notes written by a man who can now cycle this great trip from memory! A well thought out, well written guide on an epic cycling adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant guide to this classic ride, 1 April 2012
If you are looking for a clearly written, pedal by pedal guide to 'LeJog' I don't think you could better than this book. With precise instructions on every turn in every road, gradient profiles and clear maps and photographs this has obviously been a labour of love for the author. But even more than a route guide it also gives information on many of the landmarks you will pass on the way and is a good read even if you have no intention of taking on the challenge. Thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out clear routes, 31 Mar 2013
Sometimes I feel the author looks for the worst possible hills in the area just for the fun of it but this book will get you safe and sound from one end of the country to the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars End 2 End, 20 Nov 2012
Having committed to doing lands end to John oGroats this book has provided all the answers to my questions, great book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›