4.0 out of 5 stars A great improvement at a price!
Microsoft Office Professional, 2013, Licence Card, 1 User (PC)

Published 17 months ago by Sue

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING on Access
Be warned if you are upgrading from Access 97 the version of Acces in Office 2013 cannot even read the files. I have not tried importing individual tables because all relationships queries, forms and reports would be lost.

Published 18 months ago by I. P. Mckeever

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING on Access, 26 July 2013
I. P. Mckeever "Ian" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Microsoft Office Professional, 2013, License Card, 1 User (PC) (License)

When you try to load an Access 97 file you are invited to compact the file to solve the problem. This is an invitation to waste a lot of your time. Access 2013 cannot read Access 97 files END OF.

The work round is to find somebody with an older but more recent version of Access and convert the file to this intermediate format and then import that file. I have yet to confirm that this works but I am reasonably confident it will

Importing features are poor generally particularly in Outlook. If you have an address book in a foreign format you are invited to export to CSV format and import that. The Address books in Outlook will not even import from an XLS file.

Interestingly the Add-In Business Contact Manager will import an xls file but that does not create a contacts file or if it does I do not know how to access it through the main Outlook system.

Importing CSV files (ie Comma Separated files) is great as long as none of your fields already contain commas. If they do things get interesting!

Even Outlook PST files do not seem to get imported as such. Outlook uses PST files, so instead of importing the data what it does is map the file into the system. What theat means is that if the file in on an external drive and you disconnect the drive you also lose the data or at least access to it.

I have never come accross a software company with quite such contempt for the needs of its users.

2.0 out of 5 stars If you already have Office 2010: not worth the time, effort or money to upgrade..., 29 Jun. 2013
North American Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
...especially if you have to pay the full retail price. Office 2013 does not offer enough improvements to take on the hassle of moving to the new version (which I deliberately did not call "upgrading"). If you are already using the Office 2010 suite, deliberate carefully about both the cash outlay and the tweaking it will take to get you back to the customizations you like.

Three stars if this is your initial Office version.

I installed Office 2013 Professional on an ASUS laptop computer with a fresh Windows 7 (Home Premium) OS install, a 1.3 GHZ processor and 4 GB RAM (64-bit environment).

At installation, I was promoted to first remove my existing Office 2010 suite. After doing so, installation of Office 2013 took approximately 10 minutes. Although cosmetic changes appear in the user interface (mostly in a "flattening" of controls on the toolbars), the overall presentation will be familiar to users of Office 2010.

Hint: if you have many commands placed in your Office 2010 applications Quick Access Toolbars, export them before you uninstall. You can later import them into the 2013 programs. Why this couldn't be scripted into the 2013 install process (along with removal of the earlier version) is separate question.

Microsoft claims an array of new features in Office 2013. The biggest one that is readily apparent is that Microsoft would love for you to join them on the cloud via its online SkyDrive and Office 365 subscription services. Oh please. I already bought the productivity suite, and could have done without the additional marketing. Plus: every single time you look at the Office Ribbon, the big "Sign In" button will be visible on the right side. Bad idea, Office team: please don't add clutter to an already complicated user interface.

Newly installed programs installed in a recently refreshed operating system should work flawlessly. The user experience while working with various Office suite data files (primarily Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access for me) is basically the same as with 2013. Immediately after installation, every time I closed an application, Office offered a "...(application name) has stopped working" and the usual MS prompt to check for solutions or close the program. Of course it stopped: I just closed it. Online searches, including at Microsoft, have presented nearly a dozen options, most specifically focused on add-ins. I accepted the "search online for solutions" option during a Word shutdown. Apparently Office found one, and the remedy took place across all applications. However, this error was *NOT* part of the user experience in the Office 2010 suite that I uninstalled 10 minutes before the switch to 2013...and users shouldn't expect the latest version to contain more annoyances (which is what this is) than its predecessor. Very unsatisfactory.

Office 2013 claims increased ease of handling graphics and editing .pdf documents. I've experimented with both, and in my opinion, these must take mostly behind the scenes, as the user experience was unchanged.

I am extremely lucky in being able to obtain this product under an academic license via my employer for fraction of what "civilian" users must play. For the deep discount I enjoyed, these behaviors are annoyances. If I had paid full price for this, "annoyed" would be far too mild a way to describe my reaction.

This is a version suited only for users who insist on having the latest version of things (or who aren't already running an Office suite). If you want to continue to use your productivity applications in way you are accustomed to, I'd stick with 2010.

If I were running a Windows 8 computer with a touch screen, I'd start to consider this worth advancing from Office 2010. Check with your employer, professional organizations, non-profit or educational institution you may be affiliated with; they may have volume licensing arrangements with Microsoft that can make this much more affordable.

And, as always, you may be able to get the vast majority of your Office-like functions completed (including creating and editing Office file types) using the open-source --and *free*-- LibreOffice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Crippled by Licensing, 22 Feb. 2013
This version of Office comes with a bloody awful licensing agreement. If you have a desktop and a laptop and you wish to use Office on both - stick with the 2010 version!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but there are problems..., 27 July 2013
UK Couple - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The last version of Microsoft Word I used was the XP version from 2002 so I was keen to try this latest version.

An annoyance straight away was once I had downloaded and burnt the disc image to DVD there is no option to just install the programs and/or features you want. You have to have them all or nothing, making the install very bloated if you are only wanting to use a couple of the programs. Like wise you can only un-install the lot or nothing, with the exception of SkyDrive which has it's own un-install option (which was a relief as I don't use the Cloud at all).

The level of improvement in each program features wise is major compared to my old 2002 versions, and if you are using such an old version of any of the Office programs then it is worth upgrading. My two most frequently used are Word and Excel and I have found both very nice to use (apart from the Ribbon Bar - See below). There are a few limitations that have not changed, for example a table can still only be a maximum of 64 x 63 cells!

While most of the programs that comprise this suite are full featured and powerful, there is one which lets it down: Outlook, it is a straight forward POP email client and does that job just fine but there is no easy way to import existing emails from Thunderbird. This is made worse by the second problem, poor IMAP functioning. Outlook fails to sync folders/messages, doesn't retrieve new emails, etc. This problem is being reported on several forums so is not an isolated fault. These two problems made it useless for my needs both at home and at work.

One other minor annoyance is that the Help files are only available if you are online, so if you are on a plane, etc. then you are on your own!

My biggest gripe with the whole suite is it's look. It is modelled on the same style as the new Windows 8 Apps. All very flat and white, but, more important is the Ribbon Toolbars. They are a pain. The take up an excessive amount of screen space, and while customizable there are limits, and the are not easy to learn. While you can minimize them (hide them) it is more inconvenient and I was soon missing the old Word XP/traditional style Toolbars. I like to customize the toolbars to sort my way of working and it just wasn't possible in this new version. I get the feeling Office 2013 has been designed to be run full screen as many of the Ribbon bars do not fit on the screen properly when any smaller, and they take up about 1/6th of the programs screen space! I think I will eventually get used to it but it will take time. There is irritations with a lot of settings screens as some are traditional Windows tabbed dialogs while others are scrollable touch friendly lists. One it's inconsistent and two on a desktop it is a pain to have to keep scrolling through long lists looking for options!

I will continue to use Word and Excel regularly, and the others if needed, but not Outlook unless there are some major improvements.

Overall I would recommend the suite if you like Windows 8's styling and usage design (but Outlook only if your email needs are POP based), but be prepared for a steep learning curve when trying to find here everything is!

If it were possible I would give this 3.5 out of 5 but must err on the side of caution...

Tip: Toolbars, there is a kind of/sort of workaround. If you set the Quick Access Toolbar to appear below the ribbon, then set the ribbon to auto hide/show, you then customise the Quick Toolbar with your most used buttons you can at least get back a little screen space. Not perfect but it helps a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware: £375 for just 1 product key card, no disc!, 29 Jan. 2013
£375 is a lot of money, especially when all you are getting is the product key card and no media. Very expensive and greedy of Microsoft.

Also, cannot buy used since it is digitally registered to that computer. Even if you uninstall it, it will not work on any other PC. so if your Operating System fails, so does your Office...

Hope this helps. Just a little heads up before you consider buying.

UPDATE - 9th April 16:59
Taken from Official Microsoft FAQ's:

*For Office Home and Student 2013, Home and Business 2013, Professional 2013, you do not have transfer rights.

Wow, nice work Microsoft.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great improvement at a price!, 22 Aug. 2013
Sue (C.I.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Microsoft Office Professional, 2013, Licence Card, 1 User (PC)

As my laptop was already installed with Microsoft Office Professional 2007 it was with some nervousness having read other reviews that I set about installing the 2013 version on my laptop which has the Windows 8 operating system as I didn't want to uninstall my previous version and then find I didn't like the updated Office.

I needn't have worried I was not asked to uninstall my previous Office so I now have both versions. I won't be however using the older one as 2013 is a great improvement.

It was very easy to install, just input the number on the card which is enclosed in the box and you are away that is providing you have internet broadband! It takes slightly longer than installing from a disc as everything is done online. Up came a warning saying my installation might take a little longer as my internet connection was slow. If this hadn't come up I might have started to panic but having been advised that installation might be a little slow, I left the computer to its own devices and after about half an hour I was ready to go. I can now save my office documents on cloud which is brilliant as I can access documents from anywhere providing I can get to a computer.

The menus are so much easier than 2007 Office much cleaner and more intuitive and if you are used to 'Office' there is nothing that should be confusing.

I would have given this product 5 stars but have deducted one star and this is because of the high price being charged. The price would I think have been reasonable if I could have installed this version on more than one computer but just one user and one computer I think is being greedy. A lot of people like myself have a desktop computer and a laptop and to spend just over £600 on 2 copies of Office is just too expensive so I hope Microsoft will reconsider their pricing structure. I will leave Windows 2007 on my other computer and will not be upgrading solely from a price point of view which is a shame as I think 2013 Microsoft professional is brilliant, a vast improvement. Microsoft Publisher 2013 included in this version of Office is great fun - you can play for hours creating invitations, albums etc from the huge amount of online templates which Microsoft offer you

For those people who have windows XP, don't buy this version as it will only install on Windows 7 and Windows 8

In a nutshell, this software is easy to install, easy to use, easy document access. Publisher has so much more than previous versions and it is great fun trying new things out with it and there is guidance if you want it. Only downside as far as I can see is the cost

2.0 out of 5 stars MS in serious trouble, 2 Feb. 2013
Mr. John Ross "rossi" (Lake District Cumbria) - See all my reviews
I have always been a user of MS software but am afraid that to charge £375 for Office Pro (the only version that I would consider) is seriously over the top especially as I believe you can only install on one pc, I own 3 PC's, I will not be using them all at once and as such I will not pay £1,125 to use office on these PC's, I'm afraid this could be a continuation of MS slide into oblivion, and I am a big MS fan!!!!! or should I say was until this pricing was released!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable Product, 17 Mar. 2013
Item returned as unable to register and download the software ( all you get in the package is a key code ).

Microsoft were no help and after a great many hours (days in fact) spent in trying to get the product loaded I returned the item.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 26 Mar. 2013
I just received the Microsoft Office 2013 Professional by Posh Joy.
Although it arrived promptly, but the product key did not download and when I contacted Microsoft Customer Services, the product was only intended for the USA and Canada. Now I have to send it back for refund and re-order the product all over again.
What a disappointment from Posh Joy !!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Consistently insane pricing, slightly unnecessary packaging, but a very good product., 25 July 2013
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The last time I had to install Microsoft Office was a few years ago, and that was the 2007 version. The setup has changed quite dramatically.

You need to begin by actually having a Microsoft account. This usually takes the form of a @hotmail.co.uk/com or, more recently, @live.co.uk/com email address. However, you can register a Microsoft account using an existing, non @hotmail/@live email address - so for example, an email address ending in @aol.com/@yahoo.co.uk/@gmail.com etc can now be used to create an account.

The process is more efficient than previous versions of Microsoft Office, which involved the use of a CD for physical installation. Now, the buyer simply receives a neat little package, inside which there are 4 simple instructions, and the product key. However, the packaging is still a little excessive - you could halve the packaging and still have more than enough space for the necessary instructions and product key. To begin, simply go to [...] and enter in the 25 character product key. Easy enough. The website will then show you what version your product key entitles you to, and, once you've signed in using your Microsoft account, you can proceed to download the software.

Your software will begin to download in the background, allowing you to continue with whatever it was you were doing on your computer beforehand. The software was actually built for Windows 8, and thus the process may look a little different from previous versions. Don't be put off! The software works perfectly well with Windows 7, and the installation process is actually a refreshing change! Anyway, depending on your internet and processor speed, the download and installation process can take anywhere between 10-25 minutes. Once downloaded, and fully installed (a very simple process), you can begin using the different programs - Word (Word Processing), Excel (Spreadsheets), PowerPoint (Presentation Creation), OneNote (Notetaking), Outlook (Email), Publisher (Desktop Publishing) and Access (Database Creation). Compared to Microsoft Office 2007, everything looks a lot more suited to the more modern operating systems, namely Windows 8. However, as previously mentioned, it works perfectly with Windows 7, and it looks and feels a lot cleaner, smoother, more modern, and has many more features in each of the different programs.

The only negative I have with Microsoft Office, and this is a problem I've had with all of the previous versions I've used, is the price. Three hundred and twenty three big ones. Yep. That is a lot of money, especially for a 1 license piece of software. I've never agreed with the pricing, but what can you do? There are programs such as Open Office, which you can download for free, but they are by no means on the same level as Microsoft Office in terms of features. If you want to try out Microsoft Office for free, you can download a free trial which lasts a month, which I would strongly advise you try out, before you buy the full version. Older users may find this version slightly more challenging due to the sheer number of extra features, in which case I'd recommend the 2007 version, having found it very easy to use, especially when introducing older users to Word Processing. If you're looking for just the essential programs, such as Word and PowerPoint, stick to the Home and Student version, which is still pretty expensive. Whilst the product is great, I just can't see how they charge such a fee, even for the Professional edition. Overall, it is a substantial upgrade (for me) from the 2007 version (and yes, I am aware there was the 2010 version), which works well with both Windows 7 and 8, but I just can't justify the unnecessary packaging, and the quite frankly extortionate price

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Microsoft Office Professional,  2013, License Card, 1 User (PC)