Platform: PC|Edition: Home and Business Edition|Change
Price:£92.00 - £344.99

on 31 January 2013
I bought Office 2010 a few weeks ago on the strength of the "Upgrade to Office 2013 for free" offer. Office 2010 allows me to use the suite on my desktop and my laptop - very sensible. 2013 does not allow this. I can have the programmes on my desktop but my laptop remains stuck with 2010. I feel like I've been conned.
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2013
Like stated in my other Office 2013 reviews:

1. This price is for 1 keycard and 1 user only. No disc is included. Very greedy of Microsoft...

2. When it is installed, it is digitally signed to that one computer. If you uninstall and give to a friend, your friend will not be able to install it because it is still digitally signed to your computer. As far as I know, there is no way to remove the digital signing on your PC.... Main reason been, Microsoft are cutting down on pre owned software. Is this a hint that they will be doing the same thing with the Xbox 720?

Just to make sure you're all aware when buying this software. Take care when purchasing :)

UPDATE - 9th April 16:59
Taken from Official Microsoft FAQ's:

*For Office Home and Student 2013, Home and Business 2013, Professional 2013, you do not have transfer rights.

Wow, nice work Microsoft.
1818 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 13 August 2013
Platform: PC|Edition: Home and Business Edition|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's hard for me to say anything about MS Office 2013 without an "ugh!". The Home & Business product includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook. To be honest, I've never used OneNote in my life and don't think I'll ever need to, and I haven't used Outlook since the 90's, because it was so cumbersome, so I'm not going to be able to say much about those applications.

The box contains instructions on where to download the suite from and gives you an activation code. Microsoft have clearly not thought about users in areas with limited bandwidth. I have rudimentary broadband speeds in my area, but even I struggled and it took me four attempts to successfully complete the download and register the software. If you happen to live somewhere without Broadband, or with heavily restricted bandwidth you're going to be cursing Microsoft for this decision.

Whilst I've still not embraced the 'marvellous' ribbon interface, all the important Word, Excel and Powerpoint features are still there, but if you are updating from a previous version, you'll have to redo all your personalisations. The integration of SkyDrive is OK, but I have no need for this and frankly don't understand why the default position is to save my work to the cloud. It seems Microsoft (and other organisations) haven't grasped the notion that the cloud is pretty useless when you can't get online and there isn't a universal Wifi service in place. Fortunately you can change this default to the traditional documents folder location if you wish to. You may also need to change some of the other default settings, for example, it isn't always easy to start working on documents without first making them editable documents. It might be a nice security feature, but it's really a feature I've no need for and feels like an intrusion.
on 29 July 2013
I bought it for my new Windows 8 laptop with the intention that the suite modules would be fully integrated especially when using Outlook as my email client and along with its address book and calendar it would sync easily with my Windows 8 Nokia phone. This has proved tricky and was only achieved by a tortuous process initially to populate the data from my older desktop PC (running Office Professional 2003) via my iPhone! After that sync via SkyDrive required a Microsoft account to be set up with an associated internet email address (which did not have to be a Hotmail or Outlook address). Altogether a learning experience which consumed time & effort but should not have been necessary with a more fully integrated design. I also consider that this version of Office should be able to be installed on 2 PCs eg. laptop & desktop.
on 23 April 2014
I have several email accounts, conventional and gMail based. Transfer of the .pst files was not so easy and sub-folders have not transferred at all. These will have to be transferred manually by way of attachments and the sub-folders will have to be reconfigured.

I still haven't managed to set up my gMail synch ... and the Help menus are not great.

Otherwise, I am open minded about the new features and I have tried to ignore the many "nay sayers" that want the old approach to icons, etc. Embrace it and I'm sure it will be fine.

Bearing in mind that Outlook was the main reason I bought the more expensive "Business" edition, MS should offer a more effective transfer for Outlook 2010 users.
on 16 October 2014
Do not buy. This is a scam. The code does not work and is not valid for Microsoft Office. Something is radically wrong with this provided. I wasted my money and wishe I had read more reviews before buying. I hope Amazon investigates this before more people are duped.
on 25 June 2013
The obvious stuff:

The tabs ARE NOW IN ALL CAPS. Oooo wonderful, I so like being shouted at by my software. The ribbon is noww hidden by default [hooray] but when you do expose it you'll find that it hogs eve more room on your screen. So, a complete pain in the bum if you're using a normal laptop. There are 2 ribbon modes, touch and mouse. In practice, there is little difference, they both take up far too much room. The icons still move round when you resize the window or use a different screen resolution. The context menus are still just as frustrating and ribbon customisation is still clunky and time consuming.

The interface is now grey on grey with a grey background. That's great if you like grey, but in practice makes the icons and tabs more difficult to distinguish. If you have limited vision, you're just going to love this. There is no "aero" interface see through either.

Basically, the new interface is different enough to be seriously annoying until you get used to it. Nor does the look really fit with either Win 7 or the dreadful Win 8.

Word has a new full screen "reading mode" but this is badly implemented because you then have to change back to "edit" mode if you want to make any changes. The "live layout" mode is supposed to flow text smoothly around any pictures or graphs inserted - but in practice, it is almost impossible to get Word to put the picture where you wanted it. Word just plonks it at the end of a section or even a seemingly random page. This is mega-annoying to the extent that I've used an old PC with office 2003 on it to do the job properly!

The "cool" feature for Excel is meant to be Flash Fill, which is supposed to help you fill out tables by guessing the correct values for the rest of a column based on patterns in the data you've entered so far. In practice, this just doesn't work and looks like random numbers! Other than that, it's just the same.

Power point has a few more guide options but no obvious enhancments.

As for outlook, it's even more bloated and confused. There are some well documented issues and Google has now withdrawn sync support.

A less obvious is that office 2013 will try to default all your file locations to the Microsoft "cloud" [do you trust MS to look after your sensitive data????]. This assumes that you have a permanent fast internet connection available all the time. In practice, using the cloud is slow and unpredictable. You can change this but you'll need to dig into the options to find the tick box. You'll probably also want to find the tick box to get rid of the splash page on startup too.

Conclusions
If you liked office 2007/10 then you will wonder whether there is any incentive to make the upgrade IMHO, probably not. If, like me, you are not a fan of the ribbon, then this is even worse than 2010 and a great excuse to get into Libre Office / Open Office / Kingsoft Office all of which are free.

Did I mention the stupid MS pricing. You get to "lease" it using the "365" but forget to pay and it will stop working. Or you can pay mega bucks to buy it i.e. a "perpetual license". No thanks MS. I'm now deep into using Libre Office.

The big killers with 2013 are:
* The seriously dull and obstructive interface
* The price

Office 2013 is off the pace. Too many functions and too little useability.

One last point - Office 2013 is NOT COMPATIBLE with Windows XP or Vista. Only Win 7 & 8.
on 1 June 2015
Microsoft's paranoid obsession with protecting their IPR from the tiny minority of users who seek to use it without paying causes real productivity problems for those of us who are more than happy to pay a premium for productivity. It says something about Microsoft that they are content to put the majority of their honest users to such inconvenience simply in order to catch out a tiny minority of abusers. (I have (in my company) very many Microsoft licences.)
The absurd reliance on download of vast files instead of common sense issuance of hard media product might do something to protect Microsoft from a few unscrupulous users, but it costs the great majority of law-abiding users problems, and for a sizeable minority in the UK with broadband speeds unable to support a 1GB download, serious problems.
The moronic insistence of Microsoft email address for registration is equally disruptive. It doesn't work properly, doesn't take account of multi-PC usage, needs reversion to typing in Key code anyway. And if every App on each PC required an email address of its own from the manufacturers, it would require every user to have scores of useless, unused email addresses like their Microsoft email address just for the purpose of activating each software package. This gross arrogance has overstretched itself - many of us resent such a vacuous imposition.
In fact, the only reason I bought this particular licence this time was because I made the mistake of getting an online fix of my Excel 2013 (a small bug which could not find a temporary file on startup) and the blasted thing reinstalled Office 2013 without my asking, whereupon it then asked for the licence key - which I had lost. (Yes, my fault, but if it had been printed on a DVD or DVD insert paper I would probably not have.) That will teach me to allow Microsoft to fix a bug in their own software - it has cost hours. And guess what? It comes up almost immediately with the same error but a different filename.
Microsoft desperately need competition on Office. They're bloated and complacent.
on 14 November 2014
Having used Professional versions of the Office suite for many years I opted for this on my new Windows 8 laptop. I definitely do NOT want Office 365 and went for this version as it includes the old familiars Word, Excel and Powerpoint, plus Outlook. It's expensive , especially since Windows 8 comes with built-in Mail and Calendar, but gives me better compatability and minimum learning curve.

Microsoft have gone for a radically new approach to installation, closely mimicking Apple. Essentially you are forced to crate a Microsoft account if you don't already have one, and log in to Office.com to get your software. instead of selecting the software, downloading it, installing it, then entering the product key to activate it, you enter the product key up front on Office.com. Microsoft then determines which product you have bought and attempts to do the download and install for you.

In my case this was reasonably fast, since I was using a fibre-optic broadband connection, BUT the installation failed to put Office , Word, Excel, Powerpoint or Outlook on the desktop. It didn't put anything on the oh-so-annoying new Microsoft "let's pretend we're Apple" user interface.

Although there were no error messages I had no idea if the Install had worked or not, so I had to go hunting through the installed programs, working around the awful Windows 8 interface. Eventually I did find the installed programs and managed to add icons both to the "new" User interface and the underlying Desktop.

If Microsoft had stuck to the old standard of download, install and activate the whole thing could have been done in a tenth of the time. LESSON FOR MICROSOFT - If you are going to try and hide the technalities of installing software MAKE SURE YOUR NEW PROCESS WORKS! On the plus side, sorting out the mess created by Microsoft's dodgy installation mechanism did mean I learned things about Windows 8, searching for programs, the "Desktop" and the "Suirface".
on 18 September 2013
We have been using Microsoft Office software for about the last fifteen years. There have been a lot of changes over the years, some good and some pretty lousy. For example the layout in the last couple of versions has been radically different and takes time to adjust to, with a fairly steep learning curve.

Microsoft Office Home Business 2013 comes with Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote. But don't expect to receive a CD or DVD in the box. All you get is your activation code. You download everything from the internet and it gets set up on your PC from that download. As a result documentation is very poor, so we purchased a well-reviewed guide to help us plumb the depths of this software.

We found the set up a real pain. There comes a point where the software chugs away on your PC setting everything up. But in our case it crashed twice before we had a success on the third try. We have an older relative, who have been using PCs for a very long time. They attempted to set Microsoft Office Home Business 2013 up on their laptop PC and they simply gave up in the end, called in a software engineer who managed to set the software up for them.

Microsoft Office has been challenged strongly in recent years by free online office alternatives. These have attracted a growing and loyal following. Thus Microsoft have been forced to up the ante with their products and make real changes, not cosmetic ones.

So why then have I given Microsoft Office Home Business 2013 a good rating? Well, once it's on your PC and once you have learnt the ins and outs of the software, you will be surprised at how smoothly it works. We really enjoy using this software and our children are similarly familiar with its features for their school work etc. For example our son recently did a PowerPoint presentation for school and was awarded merits for the quality of the presentation.

Yes Microsoft Office has its supporters and those who cannot stand it. But if you are in the supporters camp then you really enjoy and appreciate the quality of Microsoft Office 2013.