4.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be afraid of Subscription Model
On the Microsoft site it states that the yearly cost is 79.99 and the monthly price is 7.99 - so you get two free months if you buy a yearly subscription.

This is not for everyone but if you have several PC's (up to 5) and use several Microsoft packages then this is a good deal.
You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Note, Publisher for...
Published 18 months ago by cactushead

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Office 2010
Purchased to get over various interface problems caused by having different levels of Office on the same machine, the concept is fine and a cheap way to get up-to-date software on multiple home machines.

Published 6 months ago by OldBloke

4.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be afraid of Subscription Model, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Office 365, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac) (License)

You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Note, Publisher for use on up to 5 devices and you also get 15GB OneDrive storage (formally called SkyDrive) and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

* Now each user (up to the maximum of 5 users) gets an additional 1TB of OneDrive Storage on top of the original 15GB.

I currently have Office products on two PC's, couldn't justify putting it on others. These include 2 copies of Outlook and the basic Home & Student Office. This cost about 240 which is the cost of three years of Office 365 Home Premium and I would update this whenever the next version comes out so that's roughly every three years.

So for roughly the same price per year as I currently pay (80) I can get everything I currently have, plus Publisher, Access, 15GB OneDrive storage (formally called SkyDrive) and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month and I can install it on another three PC's.

It looks pretty attractive to me and once my preview runs out I will be subscribing.

*******************************************************
UPDATE:
*******************************************************

1) I've seen people mistaking what this product actually is mostly down to Microsoft confusingly reusing "365" in its name.
This is a full installation like with traditional versions of Office - it is not an online version.
You can use this fully offline but obviously if you are using OneDrive to save your documents to then you will require internet access.

2) Also because it is a subscription model you can in the future let it lapse.
If you do this the Office suite will still be on your device ready for re-activation in the future but you will still be able to use it in a reduced functionality mode. You can read/view all your files but you will just not be able to edit them.

3) We should all know by now that there are free office suites available like Google Docs, Libre Office, Open Office.
However there is no denying that Microsoft's Office Suite is the industry standard and provides more functionality that a lot of workers and students may find they require. For a lot of light users Microsoft Office has, and will always be overkill but that does not make it a bad product or overpriced - you get what you pay for.

4) I should also point out that you can install this on up to 5 devices but if you change your mind and want to install it on another, you can simply via the web deactivate a version on one of your existing devices and activate the new one. This can be done whenever you want, so effectively you can install it on more than 5 devices - as long as you toggle their activation states.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE:
*******************************************************

About two weeks prior to expiration you get a yellow coloured global message bar popup underneath all of office's ribbon menus reminding you that your subscription is nearly ending.

After your expiration date passes the yellow bar changes to a red global message bar which says:
"PRODUCT EXPIRED To keep using Microsoft Outlook Preview without interruption, choose an option below to reactivate [More Details]"

I purchased the above item and tried to activate the product via their website but was surprisingly told that I had to un-install the preview version first. I had presumed that upon using a valid serial key the preview version would just change to full but this is not the case. After un-installing and re-installing via the website everything seems to be back to normal - all the previous settings are still intact.

It's an easy process but a bit annoying that I had to un-install and reinstall.

It's safe to assume that the above process will be nearly the same when the full licence expires in a year, although it is unlikely to then require the un-installation process.

*******************************************************
Jan 2014 - ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL UPDATE ;)
*******************************************************

The subscription allows you to install Office on up to 5 devices with up to 5 users. These installs can be used for anyone you wish in your household or a combination of users.

So for example, say there are four people in a family.
On their main family PC they can set it so everyone could use it.
Then on their personal laptops they could have it so only they could use it.

Five installs on five computers with four users.
They could also allow a fifth person to use any or all of their computers - say a grandparent.

Each user who shares the subscription benefits (max 5) gets their own free 20GB OneDrive storage but can only manage their own install via their account page.

March 2014 - ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL UPDATE :D
*******************************************************

You can now install on up to 5 PC's or Mac's AND ALSO up to 5 tablets.

The new iPad version will be free for reading and presenting purposes however a Microsoft Office 365 subscription is required for creating new documents or editing existing ones.

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint will all be included with Office for iPad running iOS 7.0 or later - OneNote is already free on iOS 7.0
Office Mobile for iPhone and Android phones available free for everyone

July 2014 - UPDATE
*******************************************************
OneDrive storage has been increased to an additional 1 TB extra storage for each user up to the maximum 5 users.
I also altered above info to reflect name change from SkyDrive to OneDrive.

P.S. A big thank you for everyone's kind words on my above review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Office 2010, 3 Jan 2014

BUT - Microsoft have gone backwards on the user interface - the new 'clean' look is accompanied by three colour schemes white, grey (which is not quite white) and dark grey (which is light grey) - and that's it - not a colour in sight and no way of 'adjusting' it.

Add to that an obsession with social media (I really do not need photos of people sending me email), a significant waste of vertical space on the screen, particularly in Outlook, and the user interface is a significant retrograde step (see the forums at [...]

Probably the biggest missed opportunity is not to employ tabs in the products (e.g. like Firefox or IE, if you are editing multiple documents in word, having them as individual tabs - so much easier than multiple entries on the Task bar (there are aftermarket add-ons at a price that do it though).

It seems as though MS have forgotten that a large number of people still use PCs in a 'business' sense to do things, not just to browse websites and engage in social exchanges.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficulties downloading, 21 Oct 2013
I purchased MS Office 365 on 17/9/2013. Unfortunately for some reason, thought to be microsofts problem, I was unable to install the software on my laptop until 15/10/2013. I made countless phone calls to MS who promised they would 'fix it' taking hours of my time. I was told I was not the only one having the same problem but they still took nearly a month to rectify it. Now it's installed it works fine, I am just frustrated and disappointed that it took such a huge company so long to sort this out for me. Now I have to start the battle to get my whole 12 months worth of the product Ive subscribed to. Wish me luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as a Renewal Licence, 18 Feb 2014
Rather than pay my renewal subscription direct to Microsoft one year on, I opted to purchase this from Amazon instead as it was 15 cheaper. I waited until the day my previous licence ran out, then rather nervous that it might have made me re-download the entire package simply clicked on the link that came with my purchase acknowledgement email from Amazon and miraculously all was settled! I didn't even have to type in a new licence code or anything, it just upgraded my renewal date for a year hence. Great!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Activation problem, 15 Mar 2014
Turning into a nightmare. Product key is not sent via microsoft but is lodged in the "Amazon Games and Software downloads" area. Fine, but then the product key doesnt work and have to go to Microsoft support. The Microsoft support site is a maze. I know exactly what my problem is but I have to go through their "suggestions" .. very painful.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way of making the most of Microsoft Office, 12 Mar 2014
I have just renewed my subscription for this product. I find Microsoft software expensive but necessary as it is used so widely, especially Office. Office 365 helps minimise the cost and it is useful to be able to put the licence on different computers. I like the cloud based backup.
I usually use a Mac and I increasingly am thinking of moving to the Mac versions of these products, (which now come free with new Macs). Compared with other users I use products like Word in a relatively uncomplex way so I could change to Apple software. At present I will stay with Office 365 for the rest of the licence period and enjoy its benefits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but limited to modern PC's, 4 April 2013
Great product, easy to implement, provides up to date software.
Only complaint is that it is only for Win 7/8 and makes using it on old PC's and its use up to the max.of 5 PC's difficult.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails to activate, 15 May 2014
Still struggling to get this activated - just fails every time, spoke to 3 people at Microsoft (billing,tech Support [tried n 2 PCs and 3 different browsers to activate] and Billing again)- they are suggesting it is returned and they will activate or wait another 24 hrs.

Subscription models should not have this problem if people people want to adopt this software licensing approach..
I'm awaiting another 24hrs else I will see how good Amazon is at returns

---UPDATE
this eventually worked
Call centre said it was a common issue

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashes on Windows 7, 21 April 2013
As a software trainer I need all the MS Office apps, and I need to keep up to date, so at the current price this is a fairly good deal for me. Of course no current purchaser knows what the cost will be to renew at the end of the first year, but let's hope that Microsoft don't pull a fast one on us and whack the cost up!

So far I've installed one copy on a Mac, and it's working fine. The installation went smoothly and I'm happy with it.

However, I've also installed it on a Windows 7 PC, and it just crashes after less than 5 minutes. I've tried using both Word and Excel, doing simple things in both, and after a very few minutes of seeming ok it suddenly stops working ("...is not responding"). I open Task Manager and choose the option to sort it out and restart. It restarts after a couple of minutes, and then the same thing happens again. So I've given up for now and am just using it on the Mac.

When I have time I'll try uninstalling it on the PC and starting again, and I'll update my review, but I'm not impressed at the moment!

4.0 out of 5 stars nice little functional touches here and there but the white and greys are hard on the eyes, 3 Mar 2013
I decided to upgrade from office 2010 on my laptop only since I was concerned office 2013 was semi-intended for tablets and therefore might look rather harsh on the eye on a big screen desktop.

Indeed the colour scheme is minimalistic with all embellishments removed i.e. the subtle gradient borders which add depth and a sense of 3d that a real object might have. By contrast the appearance of office 2013 is completely flat with just plain lines for borders.
Unfortunately in my full retail version there are only 3 colour schemes - white, grey and darker grey. Very bizarre. With white one tends to feel snowblindness developing and lets face it gray is not very sexy or slinky. Neither is it relaxing since most of the screen is still fairly bright light gray or white. I personally really liked the blue scheme of office 2010 which I found deliciously relaxing.

I am sincerely hoping an update with more colours will be released. Had I known beforehand i might have waited for this.

The menus themselves are pretty much identical to 2010 with the now familiar ribbon which is light years better than the dreadful drop down menus of years gone by.

What i have particularly noticed and liked are the little functional touches added here and there. A classic example is when using a table in word. I was forever wanting to alter tables, adding extra rows and it was always a pain making numerous mouse clicks or moving the cursor far across the screen which is tedious on my laptop touchpad. Now when the cursor hovers over the table at the top left of any row a little plus sign appears which upon clicking inserts a new blank row. Love it.

Other things improved include outlook which generally seems to get emails faster than before when you had to wait quite an eternity sometimes for it to get them off the server.

I was worried about dropbox integration which is not native unlike skydrive of course. In fact skydrive is actually an amazing deal compared to dropbox since with the purchase of office you get 20gbs on top of your existing skydrive amount which is more than enough. I have about 11,000 documents occupying 11gbs in dropbox which sets me back about 80 a year as one can only buy a minimum of 100gb beyond the 2gb free with dropbox. Sadly for me as i use ubuntu i am sticking with dropbox as it has an identical linux version unlike skydrive. If microsoft supported skydrive on linux i would be over the moon.

Anyway, to add dropbox to the first menu for opening files in e.g. word you have to google for a batch script file someone has kindly written and hey presto dropbox appears.

In terms of the money...as a university student Office University is about 60 for a 4 year license for 2 computers which seems very reasonable to me since it includes all the office suite programs.

Of note when i installed office 2013 it left my existing office 2010 completely untouched and office 2010 still runs normally. The new office did however manage to automatically populate outlook with the same settings as my outlook 2010 though i had to put my exchange password in again.

Overall I would say its a modest improvement in functionality but is in desperate need of different colour schemes and native support rather than fear of the worlds most popular storage software i.e. dropbox.

All i can say is i'm sticking with the new versions and if a decent windows tablet is ever released which matches the ipad's reitina display and compactness then it will be a fine day to use this version of office on it.....or a version for ipad users........please!

PS contrary to what someone has said in the comments below, you only need a university email address to activate office university 365 not the other things she fallaciously mentions.

update 15/3/13

I'm now completely converted to the new office and think it looks rather beautiful though would like more control over the background colours - hopefully an update will come out. But there are many more practical touches especially in excel - often these are based on when your cursor hovers over something like a row little options appear which means you don't have to navigate lots of menus and you can automatically highlight rows based on some parameter of the cell value which is quite useful for quickly picking out certain data.
I also think the layout looks elegant on my 24inch screens.

In the end I phoned Microsoft (rapid response) and cancelled office university because you can only use it on two computers whereas I have 5. Microsoft also won't let you buy more university price licences within a two year period. So in the end I switched to office home premium 365 which although a lot more expensive over 4 years doesn't seem too bad considering I have it installed on 5 computers.

One more thing I like - because I sign into my computer with my Hotmail account when I edit track changes in word it has my name next to the comments whereas before it used to generate a new random name like 'm1', 'm2' every time I edited the track changes on different computers. These kinds of small touches actually turn out to be quite valuable and I wouldn't like to go back to 2010 good though it was. People might say there was a way of doing this in the previous version but now it just happens without having to set anything up manually.

Also I've tried the streaming on other computers and if the internet connection is ok, which it mainly is these days, the streaming is very quick and its very usable.

Microsoft Office 365, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac)
64.98