4.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be afraid of Subscription Model
On the Microsoft site it states that the yearly cost is £79.99 and the monthly price is £7.99 - so you get two free months if you buy a yearly subscription.

This is not for everyone but if you have several PC's (up to 5) and use several Microsoft packages then this is a good deal.
You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Note, Publisher for...
Published 23 months ago by cactushead

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Office 2010
Purchased to get over various interface problems caused by having different levels of Office on the same machine, the concept is fine and a cheap way to get up-to-date software on multiple home machines.

Published 11 months ago by OldBloke

4.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be afraid of Subscription Model, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Office 365 Home, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac) (License)

You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Note, Publisher for use on up to 5 devices and you also get 15GB OneDrive storage (formally called SkyDrive) and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

* Now each user (up to the maximum of 5 users) gets an additional 1TB of OneDrive Storage on top of the original 15GB.
* The storage will soon become unlimited for every Office 365 customer.

I currently have Office products on two PC's, couldn't justify putting it on others. These include 2 copies of Outlook and the basic Home & Student Office. This cost about £240 which is the cost of three years of Office 365 Home Premium and I would update this whenever the next version comes out so that's roughly every three years.

So for roughly the same price per year as I currently pay (£80) I can get everything I currently have, plus Publisher, Access, 15GB OneDrive storage (formally called SkyDrive) and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month and I can install it on another three PC's.

It looks pretty attractive to me and once my preview runs out I will be subscribing.

*******************************************************
UPDATE:
*******************************************************

1) I've seen people mistaking what this product actually is mostly down to Microsoft confusingly reusing "365" in its name.
This is a full installation like with traditional versions of Office - it is not an online version.
You can use this fully offline but obviously if you are using OneDrive to save your documents to then you will require internet access.

2) Also because it is a subscription model you can in the future let it lapse.
If you do this the Office suite will still be on your device ready for re-activation in the future but you will still be able to use it in a reduced functionality mode. You can read/view all your files but you will just not be able to edit them.

3) We should all know by now that there are free office suites available like Google Docs, Libre Office, Open Office.
However there is no denying that Microsoft's Office Suite is the industry standard and provides more functionality that a lot of workers and students may find they require. For a lot of light users Microsoft Office has, and will always be overkill but that does not make it a bad product or overpriced - you get what you pay for.

4) I should also point out that you can install this on up to 5 devices but if you change your mind and want to install it on another, you can simply via the web deactivate a version on one of your existing devices and activate the new one. This can be done whenever you want, so effectively you can install it on more than 5 devices - as long as you toggle their activation states.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE:
*******************************************************

About two weeks prior to expiration you get a yellow coloured global message bar popup underneath all of office's ribbon menus reminding you that your subscription is nearly ending.

After your expiration date passes the yellow bar changes to a red global message bar which says:
"PRODUCT EXPIRED To keep using Microsoft Outlook Preview without interruption, choose an option below to reactivate [More Details]"

I purchased the above item and tried to activate the product via their website but was surprisingly told that I had to un-install the preview version first. I had presumed that upon using a valid serial key the preview version would just change to full but this is not the case. After un-installing and re-installing via the website everything seems to be back to normal - all the previous settings are still intact.

It's an easy process but a bit annoying that I had to un-install and reinstall.

It's safe to assume that the above process will be nearly the same when the full licence expires in a year, although it is unlikely to then require the un-installation process.

*******************************************************
Jan 2014 - ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL UPDATE ;)
*******************************************************

The subscription allows you to install Office on up to 5 devices with up to 5 users. These installs can be used for anyone you wish in your household or a combination of users.

So for example, say there are four people in a family.
On their main family PC they can set it so everyone could use it.
Then on their personal laptops they could have it so only they could use it.

Five installs on five computers with four users.
They could also allow a fifth person to use any or all of their computers - say a grandparent.

Each user who shares the subscription benefits (max 5) gets their own free 20GB OneDrive storage but can only manage their own install via their account page.

March 2014 - ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL UPDATE :D
*******************************************************

You can now install on up to 5 PC's or Mac's AND ALSO up to 5 tablets.

The new iPad version will be free for reading and presenting purposes however a Microsoft Office 365 subscription is required for creating new documents or editing existing ones.

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint will all be included with Office for iPad running iOS 7.0 or later - OneNote is already free on iOS 7.0
Office Mobile for iPhone and Android phones available free for everyone

July 2014 - UPDATE
*******************************************************
OneDrive storage has been increased to an additional 1 TB extra storage for each user up to the maximum 5 users.
I also altered above info to reflect name change from SkyDrive to OneDrive.

27 October 2014 - UPDATE
*******************************************************
All Office 365 customers will now get unlimited OneDrive storage at no additional cost.
This will be rolled out over the coming months, but if you wish to be one of the first visit https://preview.onedrive.com/?wt.mc_id=oo_blog_onedrive_insertblogtitlehere

Additionally OneDrive now supports up to 10GB files.

P.S. A big thank you for everyone's kind words on my above review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hassle free, good value and very portable, 3 Jun 2014
Mr. Paul Charnock "paul-kate" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
I know most people won't feel like they own something when you go for a subscription but having taken the plunge last year, I think this is by far the best option.
When you get a new machine it's simple to transfer from old machine to new, and add a copy on your laptop, or a machine at work, or, if you use them, on a tablet etc.

Ok, you don't have a disc, but often they are a liability anyway. Why? Because, anyone familiar with using Microsoft stuff know that they regularly mess up and rush stuff onto the market that isn't up to the job and if you have forked out a small fortune for a version that is poor, you are stuck with it.
This option on the other hand keeps you up to date with the latest version, at no extra cost.
I've had no trouble loading via the net onto any machine whatsoever and have often chopped and changed. You can even go to your friends and load it on their computer temporarily if you wish and then just disable it when you get home and put it back on your own.
Totally flexible, good value and hassle free, if you have doubts, then fear not, it's a great way to go with Office.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficulties downloading, 21 Oct 2013
I purchased MS Office 365 on 17/9/2013. Unfortunately for some reason, thought to be microsofts problem, I was unable to install the software on my laptop until 15/10/2013. I made countless phone calls to MS who promised they would 'fix it' taking hours of my time. I was told I was not the only one having the same problem but they still took nearly a month to rectify it. Now it's installed it works fine, I am just frustrated and disappointed that it took such a huge company so long to sort this out for me. Now I have to start the battle to get my whole 12 months worth of the product Ive subscribed to. Wish me luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way of making the most of Microsoft Office, 12 Mar 2014
I have just renewed my subscription for this product. I find Microsoft software expensive but necessary as it is used so widely, especially Office. Office 365 helps minimise the cost and it is useful to be able to put the licence on different computers. I like the cloud based backup.
I usually use a Mac and I increasingly am thinking of moving to the Mac versions of these products, (which now come free with new Macs). Compared with other users I use products like Word in a relatively uncomplex way so I could change to Apple software. At present I will stay with Office 365 for the rest of the licence period and enjoy its benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, same as the Home & Business Version, 26 Nov 2014
I previously bought Office 365 Home & Business (which costs double). I then bought this for a couple of other PCs only to find it has exactly the same programs. There is no difference whatsoever! Why pay more? This is the one to buy.

Uninstall your previous Office version first or you may have problems. I only made that mistake once and it did cause conflicts. I backed up my Outlook PST file in case it got obliterated but it was fine. It's still worth backing up, just. in case. Just write down it's previous location so if you need to put it back, Outlook can find it. PST files can get gargantuan in size. One of mine was over 50Gb. I just copied that one to another location on my HDD in case it got damaged during the upgrade.

Of course none of this is an issue if it's a fresh install on a new computer.

For a small business like mine with 14 computers, this is a bargain for £12 a year per PC. I've bought 3 of these now so even the parents have a full version of the latest Office that I renew for them every year.

I am a seasoned IT person and even I found it tricky to install in the beginning. By my third install I had it sussed.

One downside is that Office 365 does need to be connected to the internet. I have one computer with a dodgy Ethernet adapter that doesn't always connect to the internet first time. If you open Outlook without realising you are not connected to the internet it has a hissy fit ant tells you it can't authenticate and that your product may not be valid. I can't open Outlook on this machine unless I am sure I am already connected to the internet.

Sometimes on a first install it tells you your product is not valid when you open Outlook. If this happens, close Outlook and open Excel. If you open Outlook again now, all is well. No idea why but it's an easy fix and the issue does not recur.

I've installed it 14 times now so am happy to help anyone with questions if I can :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as a Renewal Licence, 18 Feb 2014
Rather than pay my renewal subscription direct to Microsoft one year on, I opted to purchase this from Amazon instead as it was £15 cheaper. I waited until the day my previous licence ran out, then rather nervous that it might have made me re-download the entire package simply clicked on the link that came with my purchase acknowledgement email from Amazon and miraculously all was settled! I didn't even have to type in a new licence code or anything, it just upgraded my renewal date for a year hence. Great!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Office 2010, 3 Jan 2014

BUT - Microsoft have gone backwards on the user interface - the new 'clean' look is accompanied by three colour schemes white, grey (which is not quite white) and dark grey (which is light grey) - and that's it - not a colour in sight and no way of 'adjusting' it.

Add to that an obsession with social media (I really do not need photos of people sending me email), a significant waste of vertical space on the screen, particularly in Outlook, and the user interface is a significant retrograde step (see the forums at [...]

Probably the biggest missed opportunity is not to employ tabs in the products (e.g. like Firefox or IE, if you are editing multiple documents in word, having them as individual tabs - so much easier than multiple entries on the Task bar (there are aftermarket add-ons at a price that do it though).

It seems as though MS have forgotten that a large number of people still use PCs in a 'business' sense to do things, not just to browse websites and engage in social exchanges.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but limited to modern PC's, 4 April 2013
Great product, easy to implement, provides up to date software.
Only complaint is that it is only for Win 7/8 and makes using it on old PC's and its use up to the max.of 5 PC's difficult.

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashes on Windows 7, 21 April 2013
As a software trainer I need all the MS Office apps, and I need to keep up to date, so at the current price this is a fairly good deal for me. Of course no current purchaser knows what the cost will be to renew at the end of the first year, but let's hope that Microsoft don't pull a fast one on us and whack the cost up!

So far I've installed one copy on a Mac, and it's working fine. The installation went smoothly and I'm happy with it.

However, I've also installed it on a Windows 7 PC, and it just crashes after less than 5 minutes. I've tried using both Word and Excel, doing simple things in both, and after a very few minutes of seeming ok it suddenly stops working ("...is not responding"). I open Task Manager and choose the option to sort it out and restart. It restarts after a couple of minutes, and then the same thing happens again. So I've given up for now and am just using it on the Mac.

When I have time I'll try uninstalling it on the PC and starting again, and I'll update my review, but I'm not impressed at the moment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot for your money, 29 July 2014
Emteq "Emteq" (Down where the drunkards roll) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I thought this is reasonable VfM at a bit over £1/week, as it enabled the MS Office apps on my Ipad/iPhone, Office 2013 on PCs and 1000Gb of space on OneDrive. Not so bothered about the Skype call-out minutes.

Just be aware this will NOT install on Vista, so I had to keep on old machine on Office 2010 until I upgrade the OS.

One thing I did notice, I have my web-browers running adblock and other tools to prevent malware in javascript. The Microsoft web-site to register the key was silently broken by this and only worked when I 'white listed' the URL.

Microsoft Office 365 Home, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac)