4.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be afraid of Subscription Model
On the Microsoft site it states that the yearly cost is £79.99 and the monthly price is £7.99 - so you get two free months if you buy a yearly subscription.

This is not for everyone but if you have several PC's (up to 5) and use several Microsoft packages then this is a good deal.
You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Note, Publisher for...
Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by cactushead

2.0 out of 5 stars Crashes on Windows 7
As a software trainer I need all the MS Office apps, and I need to keep up to date, so at the current price this is a fairly good deal for me. Of course no current purchaser knows what the cost will be to renew at the end of the first year, but let's hope that Microsoft don't pull a fast one on us and whack the cost up!

So far I've installed one copy on a Mac,...
Published on 21 April 2013 by small space

4.0 out of 5 stars Shouldn't be afraid of Subscription Model, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Microsoft Office 365 Home, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac) (License)

You get Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, One Note, Publisher for use on up to 5 devices and you also get 15GB OneDrive storage (formally called SkyDrive) and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month.

* Now each user (up to the maximum of 5 users) gets an additional 1TB of OneDrive Storage on top of the original 15GB.
* The storage will soon become unlimited for every Office 365 customer.

I currently have Office products on two PC's, couldn't justify putting it on others. These include 2 copies of Outlook and the basic Home & Student Office. This cost about £240 which is the cost of three years of Office 365 Home Premium and I would update this whenever the next version comes out so that's roughly every three years.

So for roughly the same price per year as I currently pay (£80) I can get everything I currently have, plus Publisher, Access, 15GB OneDrive storage (formally called SkyDrive) and 60 minutes of Skype calls per month and I can install it on another three PC's.

It looks pretty attractive to me and once my preview runs out I will be subscribing.

*******************************************************
UPDATE:
*******************************************************

1) I've seen people mistaking what this product actually is mostly down to Microsoft confusingly reusing "365" in its name.
This is a full installation like with traditional versions of Office - it is not an online version.
You can use this fully offline but obviously if you are using OneDrive to save your documents to then you will require internet access.

2) Also because it is a subscription model you can in the future let it lapse.
If you do this the Office suite will still be on your device ready for re-activation in the future but you will still be able to use it in a reduced functionality mode. You can read/view all your files but you will just not be able to edit them.

3) We should all know by now that there are free office suites available like Google Docs, Libre Office, Open Office.
However there is no denying that Microsoft's Office Suite is the industry standard and provides more functionality that a lot of workers and students may find they require. For a lot of light users Microsoft Office has, and will always be overkill but that does not make it a bad product or overpriced - you get what you pay for.

4) I should also point out that you can install this on up to 5 devices but if you change your mind and want to install it on another, you can simply via the web deactivate a version on one of your existing devices and activate the new one. This can be done whenever you want, so effectively you can install it on more than 5 devices - as long as you toggle their activation states.

ADDITIONAL UPDATE:
*******************************************************

About two weeks prior to expiration you get a yellow coloured global message bar popup underneath all of office's ribbon menus reminding you that your subscription is nearly ending.

After your expiration date passes the yellow bar changes to a red global message bar which says:
"PRODUCT EXPIRED To keep using Microsoft Outlook Preview without interruption, choose an option below to reactivate [More Details]"

I purchased the above item and tried to activate the product via their website but was surprisingly told that I had to un-install the preview version first. I had presumed that upon using a valid serial key the preview version would just change to full but this is not the case. After un-installing and re-installing via the website everything seems to be back to normal - all the previous settings are still intact.

It's an easy process but a bit annoying that I had to un-install and reinstall.

It's safe to assume that the above process will be nearly the same when the full licence expires in a year, although it is unlikely to then require the un-installation process.

*******************************************************
Jan 2014 - ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL UPDATE ;)
*******************************************************

The subscription allows you to install Office on up to 5 devices with up to 5 users. These installs can be used for anyone you wish in your household or a combination of users.

So for example, say there are four people in a family.
On their main family PC they can set it so everyone could use it.
Then on their personal laptops they could have it so only they could use it.

Five installs on five computers with four users.
They could also allow a fifth person to use any or all of their computers - say a grandparent.

Each user who shares the subscription benefits (max 5) gets their own free 20GB OneDrive storage but can only manage their own install via their account page.

March 2014 - ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL ADDITIONAL UPDATE :D
*******************************************************

You can now install on up to 5 PC's or Mac's AND ALSO up to 5 tablets.

The new iPad version will be free for reading and presenting purposes however a Microsoft Office 365 subscription is required for creating new documents or editing existing ones.

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint will all be included with Office for iPad running iOS 7.0 or later - OneNote is already free on iOS 7.0
Office Mobile for iPhone and Android phones available free for everyone

July 2014 - UPDATE
*******************************************************
OneDrive storage has been increased to an additional 1 TB extra storage for each user up to the maximum 5 users.
I also altered above info to reflect name change from SkyDrive to OneDrive.

27 October 2014 - UPDATE
*******************************************************
All Office 365 customers will now get unlimited OneDrive storage at no additional cost.
This will be rolled out over the coming months, but if you wish to be one of the first visit https://preview.onedrive.com/?wt.mc_id=oo_blog_onedrive_insertblogtitlehere

Additionally OneDrive now supports up to 10GB files.

P.S. A big thank you for everyone's kind words on my above review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hassle free, good value and very portable, 3 Jun. 2014
Mr. Paul Charnock "paul-kate" (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
I know most people won't feel like they own something when you go for a subscription but having taken the plunge last year, I think this is by far the best option.
When you get a new machine it's simple to transfer from old machine to new, and add a copy on your laptop, or a machine at work, or, if you use them, on a tablet etc.

Ok, you don't have a disc, but often they are a liability anyway. Why? Because, anyone familiar with using Microsoft stuff know that they regularly mess up and rush stuff onto the market that isn't up to the job and if you have forked out a small fortune for a version that is poor, you are stuck with it.
This option on the other hand keeps you up to date with the latest version, at no extra cost.
I've had no trouble loading via the net onto any machine whatsoever and have often chopped and changed. You can even go to your friends and load it on their computer temporarily if you wish and then just disable it when you get home and put it back on your own.
Totally flexible, good value and hassle free, if you have doubts, then fear not, it's a great way to go with Office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, same as the Home & Business Version, 26 Nov. 2014
I previously bought Office 365 Home & Business (which costs double). I then bought this for a couple of other PCs only to find it has exactly the same programs. There is no difference whatsoever! Why pay more? This is the one to buy.

Uninstall your previous Office version first or you may have problems. I only made that mistake once and it did cause conflicts. I backed up my Outlook PST file in case it got obliterated but it was fine. It's still worth backing up, just. in case. Just write down it's previous location so if you need to put it back, Outlook can find it. PST files can get gargantuan in size. One of mine was over 50Gb. I just copied that one to another location on my HDD in case it got damaged during the upgrade.

Of course none of this is an issue if it's a fresh install on a new computer.

For a small business like mine with 14 computers, this is a bargain for £12 a year per PC. I've bought 3 of these now so even the parents have a full version of the latest Office that I renew for them every year.

I am a seasoned IT person and even I found it tricky to install in the beginning. By my third install I had it sussed.

One downside is that Office 365 does need to be connected to the internet. I have one computer with a dodgy Ethernet adapter that doesn't always connect to the internet first time. If you open Outlook without realising you are not connected to the internet it has a hissy fit ant tells you it can't authenticate and that your product may not be valid. I can't open Outlook on this machine unless I am sure I am already connected to the internet.

Sometimes on a first install it tells you your product is not valid when you open Outlook. If this happens, close Outlook and open Excel. If you open Outlook again now, all is well. No idea why but it's an easy fix and the issue does not recur.

I've installed it 14 times now so am happy to help anyone with questions if I can :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Early days but a brilliant start, 10 Feb. 2014
Michael Fergus "Mike" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Thought long and hard over this but finally took the plunge. We have a mixture of Mac and PC at home as well as PC at work and I was fed up with not having the same versions of Word and Excel on each. Compatibility problems with Excel finally put me down this route. Sure, the subscription costs will probably rise but there is a lot of cloud storage on offer here as well so it actually makes the software look pretty good value. It's a bit of a quirk having to pay postage for a small cardboard box containing a credit card sized piece of card with the product key on it, but once you laugh this off......... The download took about 35 mins and the install under 10. In 45 mins therefore, I was up and running and it looks great.

It is a big download so beware if you've got a slow connection and also watch if you're limited as this could end up costing you a fair bit extra for going over your allowance.

I might add a bit more to this when I get my PC and laptop installations sorted as well, but so far I've nothing but praise for what I've seen so far.

UPDATE 1

Downloaded to a PC but ran into a few difficulties. Fortunately, it's obviously a common glitch as there was a simple fix (go into the program settings on Windows, find Office and opt for an online repair). What was astonishing was the speed of the download; it only took a few minutes and everything was up and running after doing the online repair. Still very happy with this product so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way of making the most of Microsoft Office, 12 Mar. 2014
I have just renewed my subscription for this product. I find Microsoft software expensive but necessary as it is used so widely, especially Office. Office 365 helps minimise the cost and it is useful to be able to put the licence on different computers. I like the cloud based backup.
I usually use a Mac and I increasingly am thinking of moving to the Mac versions of these products, (which now come free with new Macs). Compared with other users I use products like Word in a relatively uncomplex way so I could change to Apple software. At present I will stay with Office 365 for the rest of the licence period and enjoy its benefits.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but limited to modern PC's, 4 April 2013
Great product, easy to implement, provides up to date software.
Only complaint is that it is only for Win 7/8 and makes using it on old PC's and its use up to the max.of 5 PC's difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast delivery, great item, 1 Feb. 2014
The license card arrived 3 days after I ordered it. Just when it arrived I opened the pack, followed the instructions on the card, went online, registered my account and installed the Office 2013 on two Windows 7 machines. All fast and without any problems. That's what I had expected and that's how it went.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot for your money, 29 July 2014
Emteq "Emteq" (Down where the drunkards roll) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I thought this is reasonable VfM at a bit over £1/week, as it enabled the MS Office apps on my Ipad/iPhone, Office 2013 on PCs and 1000Gb of space on OneDrive. Not so bothered about the Skype call-out minutes.

Just be aware this will NOT install on Vista, so I had to keep on old machine on Office 2010 until I upgrade the OS.

One thing I did notice, I have my web-browers running adblock and other tools to prevent malware in javascript. The Microsoft web-site to register the key was silently broken by this and only worked when I 'white listed' the URL.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Price Around, 9 April 2014
Shopped around for this and it's the best price on the market. Some are competitively priced but only last for six months, so read the small print. This one is a year. Easy to register and up and running in no time.

4.0 out of 5 stars nice little functional touches here and there but the white and greys are hard on the eyes, 3 Mar. 2013
I decided to upgrade from office 2010 on my laptop only since I was concerned office 2013 was semi-intended for tablets and therefore might look rather harsh on the eye on a big screen desktop.

Indeed the colour scheme is minimalistic with all embellishments removed i.e. the subtle gradient borders which add depth and a sense of 3d that a real object might have. By contrast the appearance of office 2013 is completely flat with just plain lines for borders.
Unfortunately in my full retail version there are only 3 colour schemes - white, grey and darker grey. Very bizarre. With white one tends to feel snowblindness developing and lets face it gray is not very sexy or slinky. Neither is it relaxing since most of the screen is still fairly bright light gray or white. I personally really liked the blue scheme of office 2010 which I found deliciously relaxing.

I am sincerely hoping an update with more colours will be released. Had I known beforehand i might have waited for this.

The menus themselves are pretty much identical to 2010 with the now familiar ribbon which is light years better than the dreadful drop down menus of years gone by.

What i have particularly noticed and liked are the little functional touches added here and there. A classic example is when using a table in word. I was forever wanting to alter tables, adding extra rows and it was always a pain making numerous mouse clicks or moving the cursor far across the screen which is tedious on my laptop touchpad. Now when the cursor hovers over the table at the top left of any row a little plus sign appears which upon clicking inserts a new blank row. Love it.

Other things improved include outlook which generally seems to get emails faster than before when you had to wait quite an eternity sometimes for it to get them off the server.

I was worried about dropbox integration which is not native unlike skydrive of course. In fact skydrive is actually an amazing deal compared to dropbox since with the purchase of office you get 20gbs on top of your existing skydrive amount which is more than enough. I have about 11,000 documents occupying 11gbs in dropbox which sets me back about £80 a year as one can only buy a minimum of 100gb beyond the 2gb free with dropbox. Sadly for me as i use ubuntu i am sticking with dropbox as it has an identical linux version unlike skydrive. If microsoft supported skydrive on linux i would be over the moon.

Anyway, to add dropbox to the first menu for opening files in e.g. word you have to google for a batch script file someone has kindly written and hey presto dropbox appears.

In terms of the money...as a university student Office University is about £60 for a 4 year license for 2 computers which seems very reasonable to me since it includes all the office suite programs.

Of note when i installed office 2013 it left my existing office 2010 completely untouched and office 2010 still runs normally. The new office did however manage to automatically populate outlook with the same settings as my outlook 2010 though i had to put my exchange password in again.

Overall I would say its a modest improvement in functionality but is in desperate need of different colour schemes and native support rather than fear of the worlds most popular storage software i.e. dropbox.

All i can say is i'm sticking with the new versions and if a decent windows tablet is ever released which matches the ipad's reitina display and compactness then it will be a fine day to use this version of office on it.....or a version for ipad users........please!

PS contrary to what someone has said in the comments below, you only need a university email address to activate office university 365 not the other things she fallaciously mentions.

update 15/3/13

I'm now completely converted to the new office and think it looks rather beautiful though would like more control over the background colours - hopefully an update will come out. But there are many more practical touches especially in excel - often these are based on when your cursor hovers over something like a row little options appear which means you don't have to navigate lots of menus and you can automatically highlight rows based on some parameter of the cell value which is quite useful for quickly picking out certain data.
I also think the layout looks elegant on my 24inch screens.

In the end I phoned Microsoft (rapid response) and cancelled office university because you can only use it on two computers whereas I have 5. Microsoft also won't let you buy more university price licences within a two year period. So in the end I switched to office home premium 365 which although a lot more expensive over 4 years doesn't seem too bad considering I have it installed on 5 computers.

One more thing I like - because I sign into my computer with my Hotmail account when I edit track changes in word it has my name next to the comments whereas before it used to generate a new random name like 'm1', 'm2' every time I edited the track changes on different computers. These kinds of small touches actually turn out to be quite valuable and I wouldn't like to go back to 2010 good though it was. People might say there was a way of doing this in the previous version but now it just happens without having to set anything up manually.

Also I've tried the streaming on other computers and if the internet connection is ok, which it mainly is these days, the streaming is very quick and its very usable.

Microsoft Office 365 Home, Licence Card, 5 Users, 1 year subscription (PC/Mac)